Looking for a different base location.

Lurtz

I sincerely hate watching youtube videos for base locations due to the fact that once the video becomes popular enough. Everyone bases those spots (it's an inevitability I know but bear with me.) My tribe is being asked to move out of the large cave in Burning Mist canyon, the one that is almost directly across from the stone hewn bridge to the ruined castle. The cave with the three waterfalls is taken and I'm frankly just trying to find a bit more of a unique or easily defendable base location for our PVP server. The last time someone "helped me choose" I wound up building atop a mountain and was pretty easy for trolls to spot. 

Viking Bay definitely comes to mind.

There is a waterfall cave which is huge.

Its mostly water, but you can walk up at the end of the cave.

Or fly up, build a foundation and ramps down.

Easily defendable, you can build defences outside the cave so it doesnt take x7 damage.

I built stone pillars + ceilings to be able to store dinos "on top of the water" worked amazingly well.

Another location (not as easily defendable though) is in the desert.

You know where the metal mountain is? That one pointy mountain with a cave in it. Its the place with the most metal in and outside.

Fly north-west from there. You will find a big, flat space with a big hole in the center.

Underneath is a "semi-cave" where you could store water dinos safely.

I am building on this spot atm and its amazing. One metal run with a quetz and anky is right around the corner with thousands of metal.

No need to build a water pen. Build some behemoth gates to keep Megalodons out and your tames are pretty safe down there.

I built a base in the three waterfall cave, I understand your frustration on Base Locations.

There are some really cool bases out there.

Caves are nice but not the end all be all. They take 6x damage, not 7x and once you break that first layer easier to raid. It is hard to layer behemoth gates or dino gates in some caves. However if you want to build in a cave, do it!

There are three bases with water access inside the base.

With the new Turret limit, I would like to make mention that you can cheat the system, maybe....

The reason I say maybe is because I don't know how they plan to handle turrets in a compressed area.

That aside, Viking bay waterfall cave, Pirate Cove and water cave under the light house.

The reason I mention getting a base with access to water is that you can make multiple defense rafts. This could take you over the 100 turret limit. Just a thought, The Viking one gives the most room and you expand out into the bay. Pirate cave is too big and with three entrances, it is hard to defend without the 100 turret limit, lastly is the cave under the light house. It is pretty cool and compact. Room to get creative with plenty of room for rafts.

Outside of that, there are plenty of caves on the map you can build in, even if you wanted to get adventurous and build in the cavernous caves. Place is huge, pitch black and has ocean access. Hard to raid someone in the pitch black cave.

There is also the cave south of the pirate cove, Has room for a base on top of hill, one path up. Cave under the hill, three entrances, river around it with ponds for fishing. This is another great base to have.

On 11/22/2017 at 2:59 PM, ManGorilla said:

I built a base in the three waterfall cave, I understand your frustration on Base Locations.

There are some really cool bases out there.

Caves are nice but not the end all be all. They take 6x damage, not 7x and once you break that first layer easier to raid. It is hard to layer behemoth gates or dino gates in some caves. However if you want to build in a cave, do it!

There are three bases with water access inside the base.

With the new Turret limit, I would like to make mention that you can cheat the system, maybe....

The reason I say maybe is because I don't know how they plan to handle turrets in a compressed area.

That aside, Viking bay waterfall cave, Pirate Cove and water cave under the light house.

The reason I mention getting a base with access to water is that you can make multiple defense rafts. This could take you over the 100 turret limit. Just a thought, The Viking one gives the most room and you expand out into the bay. Pirate cave is too big and with three entrances, it is hard to defend without the 100 turret limit, lastly is the cave under the light house. It is pretty cool and compact. Room to get creative with plenty of room for rafts.

Outside of that, there are plenty of caves on the map you can build in, even if you wanted to get adventurous and build in the cavernous caves. Place is huge, pitch black and has ocean access. Hard to raid someone in the pitch black cave.

There is also the cave south of the pirate cove, Has room for a base on top of hill, one path up. Cave under the hill, three entrances, river around it with ponds for fishing. This is another great base to have.

Once the turrets on the raft are brought into an area with 100 turrets already, Heavy Turrets will shut off, and regular turrets will likely shut off once they release the turret limiting patch.

Personally, I would suggest NOT building in a cave until you are ready to put up ALL of your defensives at once - Or, hell, ANY base at all really. Put a vault at the bottom of the ocean WAAAY out. Fill that vault up with metal building pieces, turrets, and have another vault or two for ammo. Just farm mats, craft, put in vault, and repeat until you have all the poop you need. THEN make your base.

As for location? Get on singleplayer, and just explore the map.

On 11/22/2017 at 7:29 AM, Guardianangel93 said:

Viking Bay definitely comes to mind.

There is a waterfall cave which is huge.

Its mostly water, but you can walk up at the end of the cave.

Or fly up, build a foundation and ramps down.

Easily defendable, you can build defences outside the cave so it doesnt take x7 damage.

I built stone pillars + ceilings to be able to store dinos "on top of the water" worked amazingly well.

Another location (not as easily defendable though) is in the desert.

You know where the metal mountain is? That one pointy mountain with a cave in it. Its the place with the most metal in and outside.

Fly north-west from there. You will find a big, flat space with a big hole in the center.

Underneath is a "semi-cave" where you could store water dinos safely.

I am building on this spot atm and its amazing. One metal run with a quetz and anky is right around the corner with thousands of metal.

No need to build a water pen. Build some behemoth gates to keep Megalodons out and your tames are pretty safe down there.

Do you have coordinates for the last place you mentioned?

12 hours ago, DFritz said:

Do you have coordinates for the last place you mentioned?

This is just from the online map or ragnarok since I´m not home atm to be more specific.

81.3 59.7

If you are atop the mountain that has tons of metal (79.9 62.4) just go east to the coast. That should be it almost. Maybe go a little north, its really not far.

Directly at the water, its the only large flat space, cant miss it.

20 hours ago, Frogspoison said:

Once the turrets on the raft are brought into an area with 100 turrets already, Heavy Turrets will shut off, and regular turrets will likely shut off once they release the turret limiting patch.

Do we know how they are factoring this in? Is it per Tribe, per alliance, per turret?

If it is per tribe, have an alliance created for more turrets.

I think it would be dumb if my alliance rolls up with more turrets to defend and shuts down  my own turrets. Or even worst, if an enemy tribe rolls up with turrets and our turrets turn off or theirs do. :\

Archived