Turret change discussion megathread

Rancor

• Volunteer Moderator
4 minutes ago, Racidon said:

Also that increase in performance is worse case so again a pointless thing to even bring up.

If you read carefully, I wrote "50-300%". Which denotes a "range" from best to worst. Now someone could argue that I'm using a hyphen instead of a dash but that is not the point.

8 minutes ago, Racidon said:

Lastly I wasn't agreeing or disagreeing with the change their doing so best not treat me like that :), even if I was the attitude of "go play unofficial" is quite poor and pathetic of anyone to say.

I didn't tell you to go unofficial, I pointed out that unofficial servers are not getting that limitation imposed which is proving my point of the limitation imposed by Wildcard not being a game-breaking change but simply a new official servers rule.

10 minutes ago, Racidon said:

We're allowed our opinions and we're also allowed to call WC out on their misdirection or the lack of actual clarity.

Absolutely. Everyone is welcome to share their opinions, ideas, etc. But when people goes into attacking and insulting without being open to debate/having a conversation about the reasoning behind is a totally different story in my opinion (not necessarily talking about you here, but in general).

21 minutes ago, Racidon said:

Turrets are not the major cause of lag, if you want to know the actual cause of the lag it's all these dumb rate increases they keep doing. They keep making it easier and easier for people to raid/build so they just do it at a massively increased rate. It all happens on an exponential rate.

You increase all gathering by 2x for the base game in general. What does this do? Makes all dinos tame 2x faster, making it 2x easier, you can gather resources 2x faster making it 2x easier to get what you need to tame. You also get more levels out of what you tame, meaning better stats. 

Then they made breeding MUCH easier, on top of 2x what you could normall gather for food for the babies. Then you have the additions of tek troughs making it even easier.

Then what happens during evo++ events? Everything breeds 2x faster, you get 1/2 the breeding timers. You get a further 2x the resources for keeping the babies fed.
XP is further broken. You can easily now get 60 levels into a dino in about an hour because of these compounded rates. You can gather stone 2x faster, you get 2x the xp for doing it, you get 2x the xp from the grinder for it too. Add an evo event into that and it compounds further. Having multiple grinders is of little concern as well.

The slowest thing of turrets these days is now bullet production, with waiting for the wood to cook, but again with all these rate increases most people just build a poop tonne of forges..

While I certainly do see where you are coming from, I will have to disagree. Servers could be at x0.1 rates and it would results into the same problem; just 10 times slower. The only thing that really do fix the issues, unfortunately, is the limitations. If you allows players to have as many turrets as they want, but you turns down the harvesting rates, does it fix the issue? Definitely not. All it does is delaying the inevitable by few months. The rates has been doubled and they are running different events to make the game more accessible to everyone that cannot be connected 24/7.

Then again, like I mentioned in my previous post; we all know there are other aspects of the game that needs to be optimized but turrets are one of them and is the one being addressed at the moment. If you have better solution than limiting the amount of turrets being placed that will fixes the performance issues of the turrets being abused into the same area please share. But keep in mind that pointing another issues unrelated to the turrets won't fix the turrets issues. ;)

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Wildcard Community
15 hours ago, reddotjellytot said:

What about PVE where turrets are barely used? On the server I play on I have not seen a single turret but yet the lag is hell crazy. Constantly hitting 255 ping and 30 sec lag spikes.

We have already covered this in the technical thread.

On 11/18/2017 at 10:36 PM, TheRightHand said:

PC servers are far, far worse off than console servers, due to their increased caps on everything, and each and every one of these servers suffers enormously from turret-induced slowdown. PvE doesn't even come close. Out of the top 150 slowest servers we have, only 15 of them in fact are PvE servers. This is a pvp issue, and it's really bad. There is no truth to the claim that PvE runs worse. It is a myth.

I'm on a pvp cluster Prim Plus. It will hit us harder than normal ARK since we dont get a "buffed" plant x.

Server is lagging more and more every day so I do understand why they have to do something. Yeah we might not like it and it might hurt us a bit in the beginning but it seems to me they are working as hard as they can to balance more. Of course there will be lag when players build non stop every day on a server, and if turrets are the biggest problem, they have my support.

We keep complaining about the lag every day and some even call them names and say that they code bad and BS like that, well go try and make a better game yourself and we see how far it goes.

I am sure they will monitor and make adjustment to balanse the game in pvp.

And yeah, pve servers lag too, but is it that hard to understand when you put pillars and foundations ALL over the map just to make sure noone else can build near you

• 2 weeks later...

I think they should add different rounds to the turrets that will help take out dinos quicker. I agree the 100 turrets is not even close to being enough as the dinos are completely unbalanced. I do kinda like how they are pulling back on the turret count in some aspects tho. It makes alpha tribes really work to stay active and maintain their base as opposed to working off of what they had done in the past and just leaving it up for easy protection. But I don't think they should nerf the dinos just find a way with specialized bullets to have the dinos die quicker that way two turtles can't just drain all 100 turrets.

• 4 months later...
On 11/18/2017 at 3:35 AM, ForzaProiettile said:

And then they do that and someone proceeds to make the entire map into a base and then complains that the game isn't optimized. 

The PVP side of this game has slowly lost its excitement since it was released in 2015 with the game evolving into mega tribes of 70+ people and hundred of allied tribes and giant lag inducing bases that can't be raided because it makes the server crash. These changes are a step forward to improving PVP and reducing lag at the same time. A double win for the average player. A bit of a loss for the alpha tribe base builder. 

I play in a mega tribe and I can clearly state that this hasn’t stopped or reduced lag at all of anything now we just keep getting hit everytime we try to sleep this patch did nothing to reduce lag if the devs played their own game they would realize it’s not the turrets it’s the Dino’s that cause the lag like the 50 Brontos that no one wants or just random tames around base the patch killed ark and did nothing to help players all it did was make easier to lose months of hard work

• 4 months later...

Archived