Turret change discussion megathread

Rancor

Why don t start by host only 2 servers by cluster it should reduce the server load by 33% , of course you need to buy more server to do that or close some dead legacy servers , but it it should be the first step before so drastic changes .

Plant X should have separate limit than turret , perhaps 50 x plant in 10k units and you should increase the turret/plant x range too , there a lot of tweak to do before implemant this change 20% damage buff is ridiculous compared to the amount of turrets we lost should be at least 300% damage buff .

And last thing i heard you will add the S+ turrets to the game is it true or it s a false info ?

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, w1r3dh4ck3r said:

kkkk Ah the tears, amazing man, if the devs actually maintain this nerf I'll continue to play ARK for a couple more years, hell I'll even buy the new DLC, good job Wildcard this was sorely needed (Oh I'm sure they will tweek it, they are known for doing extreme changes and tuning them acording to feedback), f**k the little brats that wanted to be all safe behind their walls of turrets and turret towers, let's go out in the world and PVP instead of playing farmville.

ps: By "feedback" I mean the statistics that they surely keep of the things happening in their game, not YOUR whinings in the forums...

Pretty sure rubbing salt in the eyes of everyone against this isn't real cool. Especially when you've only played 1k hours.

For the most part I've sat back and put up with all the updates that you, WC have proposed throughout my 220+ days of game time across what is fastly approaching a 2 year period. That being said your proposition for reducing the amount of turrets to a measly 100 per 10k unit radius is going to negatively impact that game so much that even I feel like I must say something. 

This latest update quite honestly is the laziest and cheapest excuse for reducing server lag I have heard proposed across this 2 year period. The fact that you, the developers remotely think this is a good idea is disconcerting to say the least as it further proves the common theory that none of you play your game, at least not from an Official PVP standpoint. 

Ways to better reduce lag include: 

• Removing tail sway from tamed dinos 
  • Decreasing frequency and severity of weather events ( especially fog which renders one blind for 10 minutes and rain which does nothing but lag the server through reducing frame rate grossly)
  • IMPROVE INFRASTRUCTURE (maybe you should invest some money in better server support, just saying)
  • Re-impose tame limit, the current system is frankly dumb. While I understand everyone (including myself) got around the last with egg tribes the fact that one tribe can comfortably control 000's of dinos from a central hub is too much
  • Fix dinos spawning and remaining under the map
  • Add options for voluntarily reducing graphics such as "origami dinos" should one deem it required in such a situation as raiding/defense. Maybe even make this forced should server ping ever begin to spike uncontrollably. 

That being said should you decide to go through with the turret update it will not achieve your desired response, unless that response is to force what few players remain onto expensive Nitrado and player dedicated servers. Following the player base will obviously continue to dwindle, the 20% damage increase will do nothing to remedy large loss of turret coverage, people will get wiped more frequently and eventually quit the game entirely.

Accordingly offline raiding will become more prevalent, a phenomenon which I don't think people understand primarily impacts small to medium sized tribes. As bases become harder to defend the ideal fix will be additional turret boxes over an increased area of land, requiring additional maintenance which only mega tribes will be able to sustain. Contrary to what people think Mega tribes will be better off than the rest of us again, as their player base is large enough to manage an increased upkeep whereas small to medium sized tribes will struggle and fall further behind. Similarly as these tribes begin to occupy a larger area of land, the amount of structures on each server will INCREASE, obviously INCREASING lag on each server and thereby undoing any benefit felt by reducing turret density. 

Regardless of the fact that you the developers are unlikely to respond to the pleas of the players as this seems to be the recurring theme demonstrated by WC, it will be both to the benefit of you the developers and players should you decide to revise your method of reducing lag, as if you continue the game will likely die out completely in the following month or two. 

I really hope that you guys rethink this, it will genuinely ruin the game, this would mean that i could raid nearly any base with a couple of stegos, before you guys do this, stop the swaying of dino’s and if that doesn’t fix the lag issue then i think this would be a decent patch, but not this low, in my opinion, i don’t think something as small as a turret lags a game too much, as i used to be server 10 alpha and currently play on a ragnarok i believe it is the servers, but if you could please test out by stopping the swaying and then if that doesn’t work, change the turret limit in 30 foundations to 200, if that doesn’t work 150, if that doesn’t work, you ultimately switch it to 100, but if after all of this nothing works, then you can really see that it’s the servers and not a turret issue, i really think that the sway will fix most of the lag, thank you for your time

22 hours ago, ForzaProiettile said:

Performance. Balance. Lag Reduction.

Take your pick but there are multiple reasons why this has to happen. It's a very good change that players will readily warm to once they see the benefits its induces on servers. I'm expecting a lot more PVP and raiding and overall servers coming "alive" again now that it's less easy for players to hide behind their walls of lag.

Yes I believe this is massively Needed PVP servers turning into PVE servers and alpha dominating servers is over More Raiding

This is hillarious! We Worked so hart to become an Mega Tribe and now you guys came and ruin every Single Minute we put in this Game?! Sou can NOT protect an Big base with 100 turrets even if you have more slots or higher damage!!!! 80% of your activ Players WILL quit if you guys Change turrets leave them how they are!!! Make it like this disable the dino movmend 

tl;dr     Turret Nerf is a technical necessity vs. Flyer Nerf, which is an opinion. 

Hi guys, 

Yeah Turret Nerf is pretty damn harsh, but it's a technical reason, and benefits everyone and everything except the sense of security of alpha tribes, who see the extreme lag as a sense of security.

But this nerf isn't the same as the flyer or volcano nerf or platform tame limit count AFAIK.

When  there is something that a few tribes do that affect all others on the server on a TECHNICAL level, Wildcard is doing the right thing. They don't have a choice when it comes to serving the needs of the common over the needs of the elite, because the elite will always be fewer. 

This is nothing compared to the flyer nerf, because the flyer nerf was a choice Wildcard made, not out of technical necessity, but out of hubris,  believing they know what's fun for everyone including single player gamers, due to the fact that ARK sells quite well.

But i am still thinking 100 turret towers is not like 100 turets will be only on one side, so only 25-35 turrets will shoot a bronto/paracer/stego and if the animal have 40k hp  1 turret makes 88 dmg with the bonus 20% that means 100 turrets is 8800 dmg but with armor of the saddle the damage is only lets say 2500 or even less maybe that means if a big tribe comes with 10 tanking animals they can be at your turret towers on foot to destroy your tower
If 25-35 turrets shoot only because the rest are around the tower that means only  2200-3080 dmg and if the animals have saddle with armor the damage will be around 1100-1500 dmg per bullets if all of them shoot in the same time. You could rush with the tanking animals next to the base so the people under the animal could shoot with the rocket
I calculated if the tower is like a pole with turrets around it, they could fly with 2-3 stegos to drop on top of the tower and the tower is finished
and if you put turrets on low medium settings and adding only animals only, players only that means the efficiency goes down.
we need to find solutions fast
turret range is 27 foundations on high so another tower close could not help the other one

9 minutes ago, veve said:
But i am still thinking 100 turret towers is not like 100 turets will be only on one side, so only 25-35 turrets will shoot a bronto/paracer/stego and if the animal have 40k hp  1 turret makes 88 dmg with the bonus 20% that means 100 turrets is 8800 dmg but with armor of the saddle the damage is only lets say 2500 or even less maybe that means if a big tribe comes with 10 tanking animals they can be at your turret towers on foot to destroy your tower
If 25-35 turrets shoot only because the rest are around the tower that means only  2200-3080 dmg and if the animals have saddle with armor the damage will be around 1100-1500 dmg per bullets if all of them shoot in the same time. You could rush with the tanking animals next to the base so the people under the animal could shoot with the rocket
I calculated if the tower is like a pole with turrets around it, they could fly with 2-3 stegos to drop on top of the tower and the tower is finished
and if you put turrets on low medium settings and adding only animals only, players only that means the efficiency goes down.
we need to find solutions fast
turret range is 27 foundations on high so another tower close could not help the other one

Ps and you want to add in the new dlc gliders and poop like that so now we can drop stegos on top of the base and you glide with the c4 to blow up the turrets ?

8 minutes ago, veve said:

Ps and you want to add in the new dlc gliders and poop like that so now we can drop stegos on top of the base and you glide with the c4 to blow up the turrets ?

or you could  make a disk where you can upload your dinos on the disk so it can reduce dino lag. you cant upload the disk from server to server, you only upload the animals, so the lag is reduced. there are lots of ways of reducing lag but you only have to think. But i think the developers are to lazy, or they dont care, or they are to stubborn to accept a ideea from a consumer that bought the game. What do i know i am a pleb that bought the game.  edited sheep with the word pleb

3 minutes ago, veve said:

or you could  make a disk where you can upload your dinos on the disk so it can reduce dino lag. you cant upload the disk from server to server, you only upload the animals, so the lag is reduced. there are lots of ways of reducing lag but you only have to think. But i think the developers are to lazy, or they dont care, or they are to stubborn to accept a ideea from a consumer that bought the game. What do i know i am a pleb that bought the game.  edited sheep with the word pleb

And the only reason why they could have implemented this 100 turret limit in the x ammount of space is becasue the new dlc is coming and they dont have $ for servers to buy so they gona recycle servers again... because you know players have left but new players might buy the game.....

Flyer nerf ruined the game traveling is no fun now

The turret nerf means we all have to demo our bases that we have been building since release. Would have been better to do it on release , the way they have done it is bad for the game as on the day it hitts noones turrets will work as all 2340/100 on every base , will take hours to fix and the raiders will know  this and be wiping defenceless bases the minute the patch hits. 

Structure plus update will demo our bases again so yet more rebuilding , should have been done on release too. 

I agree but what annoys me more than anything about Ark is the fact that our server, even with 30 members online at 8am, lags EVERY. SINGLE. DAMN. DAY.. I'm talking about the kind of lag where you'll be opening a door and nothing happens for 10-20 seconds and then it finally opens and you're back to the spot you were at before, but this is happened almost every 2 minutes throughout the day, every day. This has nothing to do with turrets lagging up the server, but I also understand that turrets going off in a raid do impact server performance big time, as well. 

12 minutes ago, Olivar said:

Funny how this topic draws out so many freshly created accounts never seen before, or people claiming to have thousand hours of game time but their steam profile says they have 300 and not played ark since last year.....

Funny how the boosted pve player seems to think he has any type of authority in this matter

2 minutes ago, Olivar said:

Let me configure my server to pve to humor you. Don't want you to be spreading lies now.

Regardless, you play boosted on a server you own and your experience holds absolutely no weight in this discussion. Which is fine and well, until you start smugly boasting about "account seniority" or checking alts for hours played.. Get a grip man

Just now, CaptoBraunch said:

Regardless, you play boosted on a server you own and your experience holds absolutely no weight in this discussion. Which is fine and well, until you start smugly boasting about "account seniority" or checking alts for hours played.. Get a grip man

Right because you said so. I think I will simply dismiss your jabs cause you know actually nothing about me.

Dont know about that the flyer nerf not being a technical necessity. Yes it was game play thing but certainly helped out in a few places. While I disagreed with how it was done, one  of the  best things about it for me was a nerf to the wyvern speed, which ment that I could fly my wyvern about the server at speeds which wouldnt crash my game lol. Wont comment on the turret because its not my area of expertise lol

22 minutes ago, Olivar said:

No no, this time the game is dead for sure.

Nah lets shoot it again to make sure. I still see twitching. ;p

Archived