Turret change discussion megathread

Rancor

They should add Tek level nukes to the game. Something that totally levels a quarter of the map. Let's face it in the real world offence wins. This will help keep official server numbers (and costs down $$$$) and servers with no player perform so good you can move them onto cheap less powerful server infrastructure.

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, ForzaProiettile said:

"Griefers"

That word is so overused. They are just good PVP players doing PVP on a PVP server. No need to call them silly names.

The changes will freshen up the game and create a new meta which doesn't revolve around building giant bases with tens of thousands of turrets and being perpetually safe. These are welcome changes that will make PVP far more interesting and dynamic.

Griefers are people that cause grief on other servers... they go to cause mayhem and grief... also this will take any dynamics in pvp. Raiders wait till a tribe is offline run 1 stego at a wall and instantly blow in because you will realistically have 15-20 turrets on one side of your base...

I believe the Wildcard has to put more thought into this. There are people saying we dont want this, is gives pvp raiders more of a advantage, which is true. On the other side people want this so they can raid bases more easily and they can so called have fun. Everyones different, your gonna make people angry no matter what you do. But what there changing isnt about pvp at all, its about making the game have a better playable expierence for all players. The lag as you can it, is very real and very fustrating to be dealing with all the time. What there doing in my mind is the right move but i believe they need to switch some things in what they want to do and take more time to decide upon this. In my own opinion i believe there should be more damage with the turrents to balance the pvp aspect because of what you are insisting on changing.  Find a balance between both sides of the pvp aspects and you will bring balance in the game and gameplay expierence. 

14 hours ago, ForzaProiettile said:

200 turrets or 100 turrets. For a mega tribe it makes no difference they will crush your base regardless.

On the flipside though their base is losing THOUSANDS of turrets which is great for smaller tribes as it gives them a better opportunity to have a decent crack at their bases.

The problem with this is that it completely goes against everything ark is about. I am in a mega tribe and i put so much time into the game so i can protect everything ive worked for. If i logged on one day after 7000 hours put in over 2 platforms to be wiped by some beach bobs that found out how a stego works i would be livid. The game is about survival and you shouldnt be able to raid tribes that put in 15x your amount of work because you are upset they are bigger than you. The reality is they are able to steam roll you because mega tribes are organised and are better at the game. If you want to compete with mega tribes you have to put in the same amount of work nothing should be given to you because you only have 5 friends who can only play on weekends.

• Volunteer Moderator
Just now, stephent0001 said:

The problem with this is that it completely goes against everything ark is about. I am in a mega tribe and i put so much time into the game so i can protect everything ive worked for. If i logged on one day after 7000 hours put in over 2 platforms to be wiped by some beach bobs that found out how a stego works i would be livid. The game is about survival and you shouldnt be able to raid tribes that put in 15x your amount of work because you are upset they are bigger than you. The reality is they are able to steam roll you because mega tribes are organised and are better at the game. If you want to compete with mega tribes you have to put in the same amount of work nothing should be given to you because you only have 5 friends who can only play on weekends.

Apologies for going off-topic here but let me get this straight. You're saying that if you do things that "goes against everything ark is about", like using pillars as "resource protection", it's fine and well, but this change is absolutely over the line? That's a pretty messed up double standard.

So allow us to pick up plant x and re place them. Currently 160 over the limit. Not spending days trying to sort this. The limit should be significantly more! I'm a solo player with a medium sized base. Larger tribes have it alot worse. This change is too much and potentially game breaking.

Please listen to the PVP player base we do not want this. Just read through the comments

6 hours ago, Drinkinthepink said:

First of all, I was on board with the flier nerf and before it happened I said fliers need to be nerfed... That made sense and was a good change... This turret change is terrible, PVE servers with no turrets lag just as hard sitting at 255ping.... This change will not eliminate ping, it might drop it from 255 down to 240 or 220 but it will not fix it.... This is just a "get rid of big bases" move and use "lag" as an excuse.... they are trying to change the game meta and using the lag as a scapegoat.

Someone does not  understand the difference between "graphical lag" and "Internet lag"

@Jatheish and other "community managers" should do their job and actually ask the community with polls BEFORE they break their own game. It's called doing your job. This is just like the flyer nerf all over again. Watch I bet he'll say nice turret decorations...

That said, on the more constructive side of things. If they added the S+ turrets to vanilla I don't think this would be as much of an issue. Rocket turrets, flame turrets etc deal significantly more damage and tranq turrets can knock out a stego long before any other turret could kill it. But yeah stegos are already game breaking OP so nerfing turrets beyond unacceptable. Giving more options of turrets however and having a limit means more strategy. Plant X to slow attackers, normal turrets to shoot players and flyers, rockets for dragons, tranqs to knock out tames, flame for close range and DOT. That's what "balance" looks like but who knows maybe the devs are really just trolls and dont care.

14 hours ago, ForzaProiettile said:

Put 500 turrets in a small area. Then proceed to walk say a Bronto at them. You will be lagged trust me.

Last i checked, only 15 Turrets can fire at the same target at a time. Bring a Tank dino into range of 1,000+ Turrets, only 15 Turrets fire. Bring a Tank dino into range of 100 Turrets, only 15 Turrets fire. Same amount of lag regardless. With only 100 Turrets though, it'll only take 6-7 Tank dinos to tie up all the Turrets.

From reading your posts, it sounds like you think the epitome of PvP is a bunch of people running around butt naked on the beach clubbing each other unconscious, because "raptor progress". Whenever one of them dies, respawn, punch a tree for enough wood to make a Club, then go right back at it, rinse and repeat. No point in investing the time and effort into building a base, when they can be raided effortlessly. Sounds like you'd prefer "Ark: Survival of the Fittest" rather than "Ark: Survival Evolved". Seriously, there's a whole other game mode for what you're interested in.

13 hours ago, Olivar said:

Please come up with a system that allows people to be online whenever they want, engage in the PvP they want without upsetting those getting attacked.

Darkfall Online did it. In order to damage another Clan's City (or potentially capture it), you had to drop a Siege Stone (which took some investment to get) outside of their city and declare a Siege. The attacking Clan would also have to bid either a large amount of Gold (depending on city size/development) or one of their own cities on the outcome. The Siege would commence like 24 hours after the Siege had been declared, giving both Clans plenty of time to prepare (alerting clan mates to be on, gathering resources, forming alliances, hiring mercenary clans, etc).

Once the Siege officially commenced, there'd be a 4-6 hour window where if the attacking clan breached the city and destroyed the City Stone, they'd gain control of the city. If the defending clan destroyed the attacker's Siege Stone before then, or if the attackers were unsuccessful in destroying the City Stone within those 4-6 hours, the Defenders won, and would gain whatever the attackers bid. The attackers actually had to risk something in order to gain a city.

Lazy game development....  This is such a dramatic change and a huge slap in the face to large tribes. The elephant in the room... They lie about what is causing the lag and poor performance. PVE has worse performance in my experience! Suppose it must be all the turrets? Utter trash. A massive F U to the devs on this one. 100 plantx and turrets combined to protect a medium sized base is nothing. Even with increased damage. Surely given tribes have 1000+ turrets to protect a base. You expect them to reduce their defenses by over 90%!! do you not think 300 - 500 would have been a fairer number?

7 minutes ago, wimthetim said:

Lazy game development....  This is such a dramatic change and a huge slap in the face to large tribes. The elephant in the room... They lie about what is causing the lag and poor performance. PVE has worse performance in my experience! Suppose it must be all the turrets? Utter trash. A massive F U to the devs on this one. 100 plantx and turrets combined to protect a medium sized base is nothing. Even with increased damage. Surely given tribes have 1000+ turrets to protect a base. You expect them to reduce their defenses by over 90%!! do you not think 300 - 500 would have been a fairer number?

THB if some sort of compromise is not come up with i might as well demo my own base and just move on. This to me is game breaking, for me anyways . I am retired and  enjoying the game I have close to 12k hours invested but be damned if im going to let someone take my hard work down with one or two stegos while i am offline > and i do not have a small base .

16 hours ago, ForzaProiettile said:

The developers of this game often don't get a lot of love even though their game is the best strategic PVP game out there by many miles.

This new initiative to improve server performance by restraining over enthusiastic defensive players will not only improve server performance for all players on PVP servers but it will lead to a more exciting gameplay experience. A different meta which evolve away from the farm, build, build, build, build, build, build defensive meta that has dominated ARK for the last year. Less turrets means more opportunities to raid and more raiding means more PVP which is what should be happening on PVP servers which actually rarely happens these days,

I applaud the Devs for this bold move. This change ranks up there with the Flyer Balance Patch. Great changes that made the game better and more enjoyable for all.

I have this feeling you are a bob on the beach in a thatch hut. 100 turrets will be the death of this game ive grown to love. FYI you can easily run past turrets and rocket them ya bob. I hope the devs will reach out to the player base that actually PVP's instead of those that sit on the beaches in thatch huts. If ya think 100 turrets will protect you just give me a server number and you put them 100 turrets up and I will happily come with my brontos and show you just how silly the idea is

Wow this change is a disappointment. 100 turrets in an area including species x? might aswell just leave my front doors open and yell out 'FREE GEAR FOR ALL'.
The inclusion of species x into this is ridiculous. Could make a base in a few days that goes over this limit. 

Even if you are trying to help out performance, this is definitely not the way to go. Whats the point of playing a game you can't progress in? You are limiting people to bases smaller than beta tribes. 

If the range isn't too high and if this was just applied to auto turrets that may be acceptable. But the inclusion of species x will render base defence useless. With this new patch, everyone and I mean everyone will be getting raided, so easily too. Once again another step towards breaking a good game even more.

Approx a year ago, I would honestly believe the game was much smoother, more fun and was way less buggy. Since full release, Lost a few ankys under the map, lost 20 breeds to broken mechanics, lost an entire tribe due to lag and more. Before full release, the only problem was dupers crashing the server.

WILDCARD LISTEN TO THE PEOPLE, YOUR CUSTOMERS! They know what they want.

Just now, dgsixkado said:

I have this feeling you are a bob on the beach in a thatch hut. 100 turrets will be the death of this game ive grown to love. FYI you can easily run past turrets and rocket them ya bob. I hope the devs will reach out to the player base that actually PVP's instead of those that sit on the beaches in thatch huts. If ya think 100 turrets will protect you just give me a server number and you put them 100 turrets up and I will happily come with my brontos and show you just how silly the idea is

Aye this is completely ridiculous. Raids will be over within the hour and you wouldn't need any more than a couple stegos for any base :/PVP revolves around a good defence and with this update, defence will no longer be a thing. Will soon be no sleep and all base defence..

• Volunteer Moderator
3 minutes ago, MrDropbear said:

Wow this change is a disappointment. 100 turrets in an area including species x? might aswell just leave my front doors open and yell out 'FREE GEAR FOR ALL'.
The inclusion of species x into this is ridiculous. Could make a base in a few days that goes over this limit. 

Even if you are trying to help out performance, this is definitely not the way to go. Whats the point of playing a game you can't progress in? You are limiting people to bases smaller than beta tribes. 

If the range isn't too high and if this was just applied to auto turrets that may be acceptable. But the inclusion of species x will render base defence useless. With this new patch, everyone and I mean everyone will be getting raided, so easily too. Once again another step towards breaking a good game even more.

Approx a year ago, I would honestly believe the game was much smoother, more fun and was way less buggy. Since full release, Lost a few ankys under the map, lost 20 breeds to broken mechanics, lost an entire tribe due to lag and more. Before full release, the only problem was dupers crashing the server.

WILDCARD LISTEN TO THE PEOPLE, YOUR CUSTOMERS! They know what they want.

If Plant X wasn't included in that list then people would just shift to that instead of the automated turrets and you'd be back to square one. Excluding a turret type isn't fixing the problem, just shifting where the problem lies.

I can say without a doubt in my mind, if this update goes through and stays permanent. You will have screwed up on the best games made, once again will lose another big chunk of your players. You could surely find another way to reduce performance costs and keep the turret limit very similar to what it currently is/was.

Archived