Turret change discussion megathread

Rancor

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They are so out of touch with pvp and raiding. It is so easy for raiders and megatribes to use bront/paracer/stego soakers/heavy flak/shields to raid as it is. Raiders have the upper hand.

If you want to make such a poopty change, you will need to nerf bullet soaker dino hp/armor/c4 damage and increase turret damage by ALOT and increase structure hp while they are at it. I firmly believe they are trying to purposely clear out officials now. Performance is just a weak excuse tbh. Either that or they are so out of touch with pvp official gameplay.

Lets put in hundreds of hours to work to have it all ripped apart by griefers in an hour. December 5th will turn the game into griefer shopping sprees. GG

15 minutes ago, ForzaProiettile said:

Oh rubbish. This is a welcome change that all players should embrace. Less laggy servers, more PVP, more raiding. ARK is about to become exciting once more.

If it actually makes servers less laggy, that'd be great. More PVP and more raiding though... I was fine with the amount of PVP and raiding there is at present. This patch, in my mind, only means you'll have to be online more often to defend your base.. I could be wrong, maybe I'll find a viable way to defend my tribe.

But the truth is I am watching a community die, wether or not my opinion's true. People are leaving. and it sucks.

1 minute ago, TheBanditKing said:

They are so out of touch with pvp and raiding. It is so easy for raiders and megatribes to use bront/paracer/stego soakers/heavy flak/shields to raid as it is. Raiders have the upper hand.

If you want to make such a poopty change, you will need to nerf bullet soaker dino hp/armor/c4 damage and increase turret damage by ALOT and increase structure hp while they are at it. I firmly believe they are trying to purposely clear out officials now. Performance is just a weak excuse tbh. Either that or they are so out of touch with pvp official gameplay.

Lets put in hundreds of hours to work to have it all ripped apart by griefers in an hour. GG

"Griefers" xD

That word is so overused. They are just good PVP players doing PVP on a PVP server. No need to call them silly names.

The changes will freshen up the game and create a new meta which doesn't revolve around building giant bases with tens of thousands of turrets and being perpetually safe. These are welcome changes that will make PVP far more interesting and dynamic.

3 minutes ago, Himswurth said:

If it actually makes servers less laggy, that'd be great. More PVP and more raiding though... I was fine with the amount of PVP and raiding there is at present. This patch, in my mind, only means you'll have to be online more often to defend your base.. I could be wrong, maybe I'll find a viable way to defend my tribe.

But the truth is I am watching a community die, wether or not my opinion's true. People are leaving. and it sucks.

People said the community would die when dino stats were massively nerfed and then again when flyers were balanced. It didn't then and it won't now. People will adapt and ARK will continue as a great game.

Just now, ForzaProiettile said:

"Griefers" xD

That word is so overused. They are just good PVP players doing PVP on a PVP server. No need to call them silly names.

The changes will freshen up the game and create a new meta which doesn't revolve around building giant bases with tens of thousands of turrets and being perpetually safe. These are welcome changes that will make PVP far more interesting and dynamic.

I'm sure you play pve or have been recently wiped. Your opinion is irrelevant judging by your previous ignorant replies and emphasis on specific terms used to describe attackers.

Thanks but you add no value here. Probably wildcard forum damage mitigator if I had to guess because your arguments are not even close to what can be considered anything close to reality of pvp gameplay on official.

19 minutes ago, Kaprosuchus said:

just like the whole community cleared out when flyers were nerfed, or when turrets were removed from quetzals, or when you could not longer stack brontos on top of brontos.  it will be fine, trust me you don't want to be the guy people quote later on when things turn out ok like those people who predict the end of the world.

Hey now, I take Ark pretty seriously, but not that seriously... Lets not relate this to real world stuff now..

Serious question though, if people put dino turrets instead of fabricated turrets, will that not increase lag on the servers? I'm not sure, I dont know a thing about making games. But, if everyone replaces turrest with dino turrets... I can't imagine the server being less laggy...

• Volunteer Moderator
2 minutes ago, TheBanditKing said:

I'm sure you play pve or have been recently wiped. Your opinion is irrelevant judging by your previous ignorant replies and emphasis on specific terms used to describe attackers.

Thanks but you add no value here.

Everyone’s opinion is welcome and relevant here. 

1 minute ago, Himswurth said:

Hey now, I take Ark pretty seriously, but not that seriously... Lets not relate this to real world stuff now..

Serious question though, if people put dino turrets instead of fabricated turrets, will that not increase lag on the servers? I'm not sure, I dont know a thing about making games. But, if everyone replaces turrest with dino turrets... I can't imagine the server being less laggy...

eh wasn't trying to offend, analogies are just a thing i do. as to your question, it's alot harder to shove dinosaurs into a space than it is turrets and they already have things in place to curb ridiculous dinosaur taming.  I imagine if it becomes a problem they will just impliment a fix like they did this time.

2 minutes ago, ForzaProiettile said:

People said the community would die when dino stats were massively nerfed and then again when flyers were balanced. It didn't then and it won't now. People will adapt and ARK will continue as a great game.

Some will adapt, you're right. The flier nerf and dino stat nerf didn't really compromise anything when it came to base defence.

Others, however, will leave. This patch makes it so players now have to redesign their entire base, take down hundreds (if not thousands) of turrets. Hours of playing will become irrelevant, because time spent gathering resources to make turrets is now for nothing.

With nerfed base defence, it ultimately will come down to how much time you spend on the game. Having active players to defend your base was already the best base defence...

Considering how easy it is to get into a well turreted base (well over 100 turrets per area) how is this going to be a realistic bandaid for a pvp game?

The durability on structures is so low we have always felt walls are just a shell, gates are to keep animals from running loose and allow people to go past without being shot and the only real defense is turrets, x and tek turrets. 

The durability of the cat walks, hatch frames, walls even turrets is so low though that many times you get into a base long before draining the up to 1200 bullets leaving sacks of bullets as a reward for a the attacks job well done. 

This fix seems to make it extremely easier to get in and with more bullets to be left over even more reward?

Does the new counting of turrets contribute to the lag?

I hope greater thought will go into this new change before it is implemented as all would agree defense in this game has always been lacking unless one is online and with the new changes what good will that do when all one needs to do is focus on a tiny corner of a base to get in because it will probably only have 1-5 turrets in the immediate area! (100 mix spread over a base area)

I can see loosing a lot of friends once again just like the flyer nerf.... We can call this the great defense nerf

1 minute ago, TheBanditKing said:

Thanks but you add no value here.

Wrong. I've been playing Official PVP since a week after the game came out in 2015. I've never played on a PVE server in any capacity. 

If you met me on a server I'd probably tick all your "griefer" boxes: I kill KOS, I kill passive tames, I kill low level players and high level players, I don't necessarily raid for loot and I fight mostly on foot. At the end of the day I like fighting and doing PVP that's why I play this game.

I can recall how this game was back in 2015 before mega tribes and alliances were a thing. When it consisted mostly of tribes numbering 10 or less. The PVP was much more dynamic and free flowing and way more constant. The game is far less exciting these days but hopefully this patch changes things.

2 minutes ago, ForzaProiettile said:

Wrong. I've been playing Official PVP since a week after the game came out in 2015. I've never played on a PVE server in any capacity. 

If you met me on a server I'd probably tick all your "griefer" boxes: I kill KOS, I kill passive tames, I kill low level players and high level players, I don't necessarily raid for loot and I fight mostly on foot. At the end of the day I like fighting and doing PVP that's why I play this game.

I can recall how this game was back in 2015 before mega tribes and alliances were a thing. When it consisted mostly of tribes numbering 10 or less. The PVP was much more dynamic and free flowing and way more constant. The game is far less exciting these days but hopefully this patch changes things.

Yea so don't change turrets, give tribes a limit of 10 and disable alliances.... problem solved.

edit: btw that's the first constructive thing you've said in this thread, so thank you.

2 minutes ago, Himswurth said:

Some will adapt, you're right. The flier nerf and dino stat nerf didn't really compromise anything when it came to base defence.

Others, however, will leave. This patch makes it so players now have to redesign their entire base, take down hundreds (if not thousands) of turrets. Hours of playing will become irrelevant, because time spent gathering resources to make turrets is now for nothing.

With nerfed base defence, it ultimately will come down to how much time you spend on the game. Having active players to defend your base was already the best base defence...

You are correct, some people will leave.  But i have to disagree on the wasted hours bit. if you are enjoying yourself and playing a game it's hardly a waste of time, no more than rebuilding your base after a successful raid is a waste of time.  I feel people get too attatched to their things personally.

2 hours ago, ForzaProiettile said:

Yep and not only that it affects mega tribes far more then it does some random Bob in his little metal shack with a couple of autos. The clear winners from this patch are smaller tribes/bases which is good.

Watch as Megas take whole maps just for dino protection. Smaller bases covering the majority of the map while they farm on other servers. Just lots of little turret huts out of the range of the next. 

Just now, Drinkinthepink said:

Yea so don't change turrets, give tribes a limit of 10 and disable alliances.... problem solved.

Well that is what I have suggested many times already. That would PVP competitive once more. Unfortunately most players don't seem to really want to fight they want to hold hands and ally up and the end result is loads of "passive" PVP servers where little PVP occurs between tribes.

6 minutes ago, ForzaProiettile said:

i play pretty similiarly except i do it in a guerilla warfare style. i wear what i can take from people by killing them when they don't expect it :P  I'm that guy sniping your dinos for no reason. just like my namesake i show up and make your day miserable for no reason.

2 minutes ago, Rancor said:

Watch as Megas take whole maps just for dino protection. Smaller bases covering the majority of the map while they farm on other servers. Just lots of little turret huts out of the range of the next. 

so true xD 

this patch only makes mega tribes do crazier things, now we need an area as big as possible to extend with fobs of 100 turrets. 

Plus we have thousands of turrets to relocate, rip the map xD 

2 minutes ago, Kaprosuchus said:

You are correct, some people will leave.  But i have to disagree on the wasted hours bit. if you are enjoying yourself and playing a game it's hardly a waste of time, no more than rebuilding your base after a successful raid is a waste of time.  I feel people get too attatched to their things personally.

Yep players get too attached to their virtual property. There is still people playing on legacy servers which peak at 3 players at peak time believe it or not. I've been raided probably around 30+ times now over the last 2 years. It comes with the territory of playing on a PVP server, its annoying but you learn to deal with it and minimize losses by spreading out your eggs rather then keeping them all in one basket.

Archived