Turret change discussion megathread

Rancor

Just now, ForzaProiettile said:

DILO is this "griefing" word meant to mean exactly?  You mean PVP right. Players engaging in PVP on PVP servers. That is what is meant to be happening.

I can only speak from my own experiences but when the tribes 10x your size and 100x more powerful feel it's their right to go around leveling startup bases and locking away the players this doesn't bring more people to play the game, it drives players to quit. PvP should be as close to a fair fight as possible, balance is never perfect but when both sides have a chance this is true PvP and far more fun for both sides.

To the topic at hand though, I still don't agree with how they chose to nerf turrets I agree less turrets to improve performance but balancing the power is what really needs to happen. 

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wildcard is trying to reduce the time that mega tribes stay on a server, some megatribes are just like cancer, owning servers for themselves only...

On a perfect world for WC: Buy the game, play a few months without impacting on the server performance, got raided and ciao bella! leave the server for new customers, we are not here to pay a public server just for a megatribe.

1 minute ago, SpCowboy said:

Wildcard is trying to reduce the time that mega tribes stay on a server, some megatribes are just like cancer, owning servers for themselves only...

On a perfect world for WC: Buy the game, play a few months without impacting on the server performance, got raided and ciao bella! leave the server for new customers, we are not here to pay a public server just for a megatribe.

Few tears will be shed if that does induce mega tribes to pack up and leave ARK. They are a true detriment to the game.

Action - Consequence (again, I gotta think this was drummed up in a drunken office party setting)... there is an immediate effect that will cause gameplay to be very adversely affected. If the devs don't change this approach, we will begin redeploying turret towers much farther out from our base. You will find towers 72 units apart with 90 turrets on them. Sound good? Not when there are 10+ of them deployed around our perimeter, effectively cutting the map down substantially for every smaller tribe out there. Throw in 5-10 xplants placed at even intervals, and you have the same net effect. Those smaller PVP lovers will hate it - your usable map is going to be tiny. Larger bases are NEEDED to protect any reasonable breeding program... u do whatever is necessary to help ensure its safety. There is no glorious "even playing field" here guys... those who have a lot of resources & players will find a way to make this work and they sure as hell will protect what they have built so far. THE ONLY REASONABLE reaction here is to spread out their defense, which will cut down the map for others. You got 1000s of turrets/bullets now? You will build out until they are all accounted for and put to use. That small tribe that wasn't really a problem before who built kinda close? Gone - need their spot for our next 90 turret tower.

THIS CHANGE IS FUNDAMENTALLY DUMB...

3 minutes ago, ForzaProiettile said:

200 turrets or 100 turrets. For a mega tribe it makes no difference they will crush your base regardless.

On the flipside though their base is losing THOUSANDS of turrets which is great for smaller tribes as it gives them a better opportunity to have a decent crack at their bases.

Then you get even close to there base and a giga oneswipes you... have u been in a megabase?... there's enuth space spread out for us to still have ample turrets round the whole base and rest of the turrets we will take and push out to approaches... doesn't make a huge difference

26 minutes ago, KillaMrB said:

I would even say 5 to be fair.

agreed.

I play on a unofficial server where the max number in a tribe is 6. I'm okay with it and actually like it this way.

30 minutes ago, Obbu said:

You're correct, it's a major selling point for many people. It's also a major gripe for many as well.

The big problem is that we've only got one official PvP ruleset, and we're both squabbling over how to make it work, when the two viewpoints really aren't compatible.

We need both a free for all and a competitive mode to exist on separate servers, rather than mashing both populations together.

agreed.

edit*

I agree with you fully Obbu and your next post too. I am far more interested in a balanced PvP experience then an out right free-for-all, getting crushed over and over is demoralizing and simply not fun for me. Until the devs create an experience that gives me a fair PvP experience I will continue to enjoy my time elsewhere.

6 minutes ago, ForzaProiettile said:

A competitive PVP mode would entail curtailing the amount of players per tribe down to 10 or so and removing the ability to form alliances. Then you would have a truly competitive PVP environment. 

Possibly, yes.

5 minutes ago, KillaMrB said:

I would even say 5 to be fair.

Regardless of the numbers needed, that might be necessary.

But most of the rules/constraints for facilitating competitive/fair play and reducing practices that some label as "griefing" would fly directly in the face of a free-for-all ruleset.

Which is why I maintain that they should simply provide a second type of official PvP server, and stop trying to make the two playstyles fit together in one.

If I were spitballing constraints: I'd go so far as to recommend a maximum base size, maximum tames per tribe, no more than two tames out per person at a time, and no raiding whatsoever. But that's digressing, it's academic as long as there's only one rule-set.

Every rule change that makes raiding more accessible will bring out the pitchforks from one side, and every rule change that makes it less accessible will do the same for the other.

Giving us two separate server types lets us focus on making the game better for both playstyles, rather than trying to ruin it for one or the other.

I just recently read the news about the upcoming turret patch and it just feels like Wildcard is just trying to ruin the game since its official release. They explain that it's "100 turrets within 10k units" which most of us don't know how much space that is. And a only a 20% damage buff w/a few extra bullets? Honestly, that extra 20% won't do anything imo. People have 10s of stegos/brontos/turtles/paracers that could EASILY go through any defenses. As others have said in other posts, it's just going cause bigger tribes to expand even farther than what they have and all the newer players (or even some Vets) on official who have smaller tribes are going to just get wrecked. At some point major resources or other activities will be a pain to get to. As a pretty dedicated player it's gotten to the point where I feel Wildcard is like EA's dumber little brother. Making a great game into a good game into a crap game and they're not even making extra money for it. They're just voluntarily losing their fan base. I think it's time to do what Reddit did to EA and start showing these Devs that they're f*cking with us a little too much now.

9 minutes ago, PapiLongDih said:

I just recently read the news about the upcoming turret patch and it just feels like Wildcard is just trying to ruin the game since its official release. They explain that it's "100 turrets within 10k units" which most of us don't know how much space that is. And a only a 20% damage buff w/a few extra bullets? Honestly, that extra 20% won't do anything imo. People have 10s of stegos/brontos/turtles/paracers that could EASILY go through any defenses. As others have said in other posts, it's just going cause bigger tribes to expand even farther than what they have and all the newer players (or even some Vets) on official who have smaller tribes are going to just get wrecked. At some point major resources or other activities will be a pain to get to. As a pretty dedicated player it's gotten to the point where I feel Wildcard is like EA's dumber little brother. Making a great game into a good game into a crap game and they're not even making extra money for it. They're just voluntarily losing their fan base. I think it's time to do what Reddit did to EA and start showing these Devs that they're f*cking with us a little too much now.

It's a very good change that the vast majority will support and welcome. There will be less lag on servers and In general more PVP which is a really good thing considering how passive most servers are today because of the ability to easily spam turrets.

I just don't understand why an investment for better servers can't be made. We play Ark because we love the game. There is a lot that needs to be fixed, but this is literally completely changing the game..I don't see how a developer could look at their community and say, "Hey guys. You know this game that you love so much--the one you've spent thousands of hours on? Yea, well we're changing it completely. Tear down your base because if you don't someone else will after December 5th. GLHF (:"

5 minutes ago, ColdRansom said:

I just don't understand why an investment for better servers can't be made. We play Ark because we love the game. There is a lot that needs to be fixed, but this is literally completely changing the game..I don't see how a developer could look at their community and say, "Hey guys. You know this game that you love so much--the one you've spent thousands of hours on? Yea, well we're changing it completely. Tear down your base because if you don't someone else will after December 5th. GLHF (:"

If you don't like people doing PVP to you and your base why are you on a PVP server? There seems to be a lot of this mentality in this thread - I want to play on a PVP server and not have to deal with PVP????? What is the point.

Is this including plant turrets and auto turrets or just auto turrets ? Bases will be  week without plants up.

Also how does the 64 foundation area work ? Is it pre set areas on the map ? Could you build on the border of two of the 64 foundation areas and have 200 turrets .

This seems like a crazy change made by someone who has never PvPd before . 100 turrets is nothing for a large base it will spread defences too thin. Will mega tribes have even bigger spread out poorly defended bases ? Or will they build like 15 differet 100 turrets bases on every good spot on the map so other tribes have nowhere to build. Are caves the new meta ? 100turrets on one entrance might be ok .

Do only one tribes turrets count to the cap ? Do two tribes built close by have to share the 100 turrets limit ? Will building a fob outside someone' base overload the turrets cap ? 

If a tribe has 2000 turrets already made they now have to demo all their plants and take over 20 64 foundation squares just to make the turrets shoot ? 

What do we grind for now ? No need for turrets or bullets they are all full . More bored raiders . Cross server raiding but now our bases can't handle it . More noobs wiped more stupid complaints more nerfs .

Just now, ForzaProiettile said:

If you don't like people doing PVP to you and your base why are you on a PVP server? There seems to be a lot of this mentality in this thread - I want to play on a PVP server and not have to deal with PVP????? What is the point.

You're missing the point completely. Nobody here is saying they don't want PVP. We are saying that we want to be able to PvP and actually have a way to protect what we spend all of these hours obtaining. As many people have pointed out, 100 turrets absolutely cannot provide the protection needed for any End Game Ark. raptor boss battles. That will NEVER happen if it only takes 1 Ascendant shield to get into your base. Also, where will you store the Rexes? At that point, to reach end game, you will need a separate base for Wyverns, Rexes, Brontos, Stegos, and Gigas. Still sounding like balanced PvP

Also, I LOVE Alpha tribes in Ark. No, I'm not in one. No, I have never been in one..But having some sort of "ruler" that is looking over the server adds some level of politics to the game that makes it a more serious experience rather than "Whelp, who's gonna raid us today." It adds structure to this insane PvP world that I absolutely love. This is my opinion, however, and we all have one.

8 minutes ago, SmokeyB said:

Is this including plant turrets and auto turrets or just auto turrets ? Bases will be  week without plants up.

Also how does the 64 foundation area work ? Is it pre set areas on the map ? Could you build on the border of two of the 64 foundation areas and have 200 turrets .

This seems like a crazy change made by someone who has never PvPd before . 100 turrets is nothing for a large base it will spread defences too thin. Will mega tribes have even bigger spread out poorly defended bases ? Or will they build like 15 differet 100 turrets bases on every good spot on the map so other tribes have nowhere to build. Are caves the new meta ? 100turrets on one entrance might be ok .

Do only one tribes turrets count to the cap ? Do two tribes built close by have to share the 100 turrets limit ? Will building a fob outside someone' base overload the turrets cap ? 

If a tribe has 2000 turrets already made they now have to demo all their plants and take over 20 64 foundation squares just to make the turrets shoot ? 

What do we grind for now ? No need for turrets or bullets they are all full . More bored raiders . Cross server raiding but now our bases can't handle it . More noobs wiped more stupid complaints more nerfs .

This is something I was thinking about. If turrets can be placed closely together between tribes, Mega Tribes will simply break into 25 Tribes in an Alliance with absolutely no change. Interesting point

*Edit: This includes Auto Turrets, Tek Turrets, and Plant Species X

WC are you off your heads!! If you think too many turrets are causing server performance issues, think again. On the PvE server that i play on there are no turrets anywhere and its nothing but a lag fest. Next you will be telling us that there are too many trees on the server. How about ditching AWS servers, clearly they are garbage!!

Mega Tribes are the ones that have people online 24/7 ready to defend with Gigas and Rexes. Everyone that is not a mega tribe will be wiped like its nothing.

People wont go to Private servers, they will simply quit this **** game and move on for good. Thats what Im gonna do once a few Stegos ruin our months of work. If anything people were asking for more ways to defend, defense buff and offline protection. Just shows how clueless WC are.

1 hour ago, Olivar said:

What if they made, alongside this nerf, made turrets smarter?

If you're riding a stego, you're "immune" to the turrets cause they can't hit you.
So what if turrets are smarter, that they simply do not shoot at the stego cause they cannot hit the player anyway (when configured to shoot players).

Then your defenses will not be wasted on the stego, defenders focus on shooting down the stego with weapons/tames, and turrets take care of the rest in the meanwhile.

Then that stego rider will come close to the base and start dropping C4s around - rip turrets and base walls.

44 minutes ago, ColdRansom said:

Because the server you are playing on is offered to you for free?

Archived