Turret change discussion megathread

Rancor

1 minute ago, Olivar said:

Isn't that the point of Titans?
They are supposed to be base-killers.
Don't want a titan in your base? Keep an eye on people taming it and interrupt their plan.

Yes and No. I mean i guess if you can't keep a base long enough to level to 100 no one needs to worry about Titans huh? Don't think a single tame should be GG for ANYONE as they are not super hard to tame. 

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, ForzaProiettile said:

Sorry but those ideas are terrible for gameplay, they would reduce the already few strategic options available to players and just result in boring dino turret tanking as the only viable way to raid.

Well the other methods so far has been just exploits... Imo as long as we don't have ORP only way to raid  base should be tanking turrets, and it should take long, since offline raiding is so easy.

1 minute ago, Rancor said:

Yes and No. I mean i guess if you can't keep a base long enough to level to 100 no one needs to worry about Titans huh? Don't think a single tame should be GG for ANYONE as they are not super hard to tame. 

No they aren't, but it still takes time which opens a window of opportunity to to interject can cause damage to it/kill the tamers.
And with the bases I've seen being build, I honestly am not against a GG base-destroyer.
A suggestion I made in the past was to remove Giga as tameable mount, and make it a titan counter.

I honestly don't know whether this turret change is good or bad.
It's for sure going to change the balance of power, and on one side I'm really curious to see it's effects.

4 minutes ago, Rancor said:

It will be fun for like a day, just when new servers come out and everyone is non stop PvP but that gets old fast. Got tired of Center being "Log in, tame ptera, kill enemy ptera, lose your ptera repeat." did that for weeks. Couldn't do anything with out constant barrel roll. No new tribe will ever reach level 90s nor even dream of doing a boss fight as they wont have a base long enough to raise the tames needed. 

Probably trying to kill off the old maps to get everyone into Abberation, then undo the change. 

Exactly, and my server has already turned into this.. we can't progress because we are constantly trying to recover from the last raid. We aren't a huge tribe and don't have a mega base yet we're still somehow 2x over the cap already.. once we remove those turrets we might as well just leave the door open when we log off lol 

I understand both sides, players want to still have a defensive perimeter at their bases without gaps and the devs want to make a smooth and lag free game. I do think the limit is a bit ridiculous .

My personal opinion as someone who has used machine guns quite a bit is several ideas. Up the damage a good bit cause it is a bit ridiculous a stego can literally just eat rounds and barely be phased. Second any machine gunner would tell you machine guns are made to be deployed in at least pairs so a buff system would work nicely. Like for every turret up to 5 gets more powerful for same fields of fire. So 5 turrets let's say can be as effective as 50 curent turrets if they use this system. So you'll need less turrets for a given area with the same effectiveness. And give some type of armor piercing round that is slightly more expensive but more effective. 

Also look at history the defensive side always have a disadvantage in any case. The best defensive emplacements has been taken down with much lower resources and capabilities. That's why the old saying the best defense is a good offense. 

Just now, Olivar said:

No they aren't, but it still takes time which opens a window of opportunity to to interject can cause damage to it/kill the tamers.
And with the bases I've seen being build, I honestly am not against a GG base-destroyer.
A suggestion I made in the past was to remove Giga as tameable mount, and make it a titan counter.

I honestly don't know whether this turret change is good or bad.
It's for sure going to change the balance of power, and on one side I'm really curious to see it's effects.

I think the changes will be good. You go to any Official "PVP" server these days and look at the bases of the alpha tribes and their beta tribes. The majority of them have never once been touched because the moment you bring a tank dino into range of their 1000+ turrets the same either crashes or slows to a crawl where you can't do anything.

Its defence by lag not defence by good design. This is one step in a number that I think will happen. The next up I see happening is a dramatic reduction in the amount of crap you can build in one area. Reduce it by 50% and most bases won't be affected still but the server will be a lot better off.

1 hour ago, ForzaProiettile said:

Lets all play sim city because that's what this game is evolving into. I don't know why the devs increased the allowable structures in an area limit last year. It's done wonders for creating server lag among other issues. By reducing the amount of lag turrets in a small area, hopefully server performance will improve again.

After this the devs need to rethink base size limits. They could cull it by 50% and probably more then 95% of bases in the game would be completely unaffected. There is no need to build these giant bases players do, its just greedy bored players who like to stroke their virtual egos going out of their way to inconvenience everyone else on the server. Most of the time they aren't even an effective defence since the bigger the base the thinner the defences must be spread.

I play on my own server so it doesn't really effect me either way. Make a super base with turrets then make one without and it makes absolutly no difference to server lag...it's the hordes of dinos and the huge amount of structures that the game has to render that causes server wide lag...fact. So i'm all for structure limits being reduced as an alternative...and if you want to play sim city well i've no opinion on that?

Yup. Can't say this is a well balanced and/or rational implementation to improve performance and these type of poorly thought out patches will only strengthen my resolve to stay on good unofficial servers. To be honest if unofficial servers weren't a thing in ARK I would have stopped playing after the first month of official server experience.

Their simply is NO PvP balance at all in this game and for those that think griefing is PvP you need to play more games. PvP needs to happen between players on a level playing field, first and foremost they should be working to implement a tribe leveling system so that power house tribes can only attack their level and above and that's just the beginning of what needs changed. Much of their entire "PvP" system simply needs to be overhauled it's broken to the point of simply not fun. In my opinion the only reason to play on official servers is to grief not to PvP.

I love and hate this game, major changes need to happen, so long as unofficial servers provide me with the experience I want from this game this is where I'll stay. I wish the main servers were fun to play on due to population but the sad fact is they really aren't. Unofficial servers and a few selected Mods is truly where this game shines.

Lastly, the constant wait times, LAG and server disconnects. I don't got time for that poop! and LAGing into someones base because they have a zillion turrets in all directions. SIGH* 

"You were the chosen one! It was said that you would destroy the Sith, not join them. You were to bring balance to the force, not leave it in darkness."

1 minute ago, Plagu3 said:

Yup. Can't say this is a well balanced and/or rational implementation to improve performance and these type of poorly thought out patches will only strengthen my resolve to stay on good unofficial servers. To be honest if unofficial servers weren't a thing in ARK I would have stopped playing after the first month of official server experience.

Their simply is NO PvP balance at all in this game and for those that think griefing is PvP you need to play more games. PvP needs to happen between players on a level playing field, first and foremost they should be working to implement a tribe leveling system so that power house tribes can only attack their level and above and that's just the beginning of what needs changed. Much of their entire "PvP" system simply needs to be overhauled it's broken to the point of simply not fun. In my opinion the only reason to play on official servers is to grief not to PvP.

I love and hate this game, major changes need to happen, so long as unofficial servers provide me with the experience I want from this game this is where I'll stay. I wish the main servers were fun to play on due to population but the sad fact is they really aren't. Unofficial servers and a few selected Mods is truly where this game shines.

Lastly, the constant wait times, LAG and server disconnects. I don't got time for that poop! and LAGing into someones base because they have a zillion turrets in all directions. SIGH* 

"You were the chosen one! It was said that you would destroy the Sith, not join them. You were to bring balance to the force, not leave it in darkness."

ARK: Social Justice Evolved? No thanks. ARK doesn't need silly rules and regulations for its PVP. No limits PVP is a major selling point of this game.

100 turrets per square. That' still plenty and the added ammo slots tho they shouldn't be nerfing the turrets. They should be balancing or adding something to help smaller tribes defend against big mega tribes... the turrets nerfing only helps mega tribes

Ps: a bet wildcard has a mega or alpha tribes and they dupe sht and aswell as taking out cash they want us to have less defence so they can raid our wooden bases too.... shame on yous

3 minutes ago, KillaMrB said:

I play on my own server so it doesn't really effect me either way. Make a super base with turrets then make one without and it makes absolutly no difference to server lag...it's the hordes of dinos and the huge amount of structures that the game has to render that causes server wide lag...fact. So i'm all for structure limits being reduced as an alternative...and if you want to play sim city well i've no opinion on that?

Put 500 turrets in a small area. Then proceed to walk say a Bronto at them. You will be lagged trust me.

Just now, jaypak said:

100 turrets per square. That' still plenty and the added ammo slots tho they shouldn't be nerfing the turrets. They should be balancing or adding something to help smaller tribes defend against big mega tribes... the turrets nerfing only helps mega tribes

Ps: a bet wildcard has a mega or alpha tribes and they dupe sht and aswell as taking out cash they want us to have less defence so they can raid our wooden bases too.... shame on yous

This balance to turrets spamming does more damage to mega tribes then any other. Mega tribes already have the resources and numbers to smash any other non mega tribe base. If anything this change is a win for small tribes and small bases.

What if they made, alongside this nerf, made turrets smarter?

If you're riding a stego, you're "immune" to the turrets cause they can't hit you.
So what if turrets are smarter, that they simply do not shoot at the stego cause they cannot hit the player anyway (when configured to shoot players).

Then your defenses will not be wasted on the stego, defenders focus on shooting down the stego with weapons/tames, and turrets take care of the rest in the meanwhile.

1 minute ago, ForzaProiettile said:

ARK: Social Justice Evolved? No thanks. ARK doesn't need silly rules and regulations for its PVP. No limits PVP is a major selling point of this game.

You're entitled to that opinion. I fully disagree, the game as it stands encourages griefing not PvP. I enjoy truly balanced PvP and this game had so much more potential :).

5 minutes ago, ForzaProiettile said:

You're correct, it's a major selling point for many people. It's also a major gripe for many as well.

The big problem is that we've only got one official PvP ruleset, and we're both squabbling over how to make it work, when the two viewpoints really aren't compatible.

We need both a free for all and a competitive mode to exist on separate servers, rather than mashing both populations together.

2 minutes ago, Plagu3 said:

You're entitled to that opinion. I fully disagree, the game as it stands encourages griefing not PvP. I enjoy truly balanced PvP and this game had so much more potential :).

What is this "griefing" word meant to mean exactly?  You mean PVP right. Players engaging in PVP on PVP servers. That is what is meant to be happening.

2 minutes ago, ForzaProiettile said:

This balance to turrets spamming does more damage to mega tribes then any other. Mega tribes already have the resources and numbers to smash any other non mega tribe base. If anything this change is a win for small tribes and small bases.

No, it' the numbers that help mega tribes. They still have the same resources and turrets allowed... it' the turrets taken away from smaller tribes that helps the megas

A mega can easily ank and destroy turrets and now they can do its way easier s there will be even less

2 minutes ago, Obbu said:

You're correct, it's a major selling point for many people. It's also a major gripe for many as well.

The big problem is that we've only got one official PvP ruleset, and we're both squabbling over how to make it work, when the two viewpoints really aren't compatible.

We need both a free for all and a competitive mode to exist on separate servers, rather than mashing both populations together.

A competitive PVP mode would entail curtailing the amount of players per tribe down to 10 or so and removing the ability to form alliances. Then you would have a truly competitive PVP environment. 

2 minutes ago, jaypak said:

No, it' the numbers that help mega tribes. They still have the same resources and turrets allowed... it' the turrets taken away from smaller tribes that helps the megas

A mega can easily ank and destroy turrets and now they can do its way easier s there will be even less

200 turrets or 100 turrets. For a mega tribe it makes no difference they will crush your base regardless.

On the flipside though their base is losing THOUSANDS of turrets which is great for smaller tribes as it gives them a better opportunity to have a decent crack at their bases.

Archived