Turret change discussion megathread

Rancor

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Murdoc said:

It will also have a massive negative effect, as it will be even more customary to kill people on the server, instead of letting them build up, not to mention most griefers run past 600 turrets like its nothing, what is the plan for that? 

We have 1000 turrets protecting our base, and our base still gets raided by people on foot with 2000 armor. this will chase people away, as there will be no way to protect yourself from something like griefers. not to mention full server invasion.

but then: less lag from fewer turrets will (should) result in better turret tracking in case of speedy armored raiders.

8 minutes ago, Murdoc said:

It will also have a massive negative effect, as it will be even more customary to kill people on the server, instead of letting them build up, not to mention most griefers run past 600 turrets like its nothing, what is the plan for that? 

We have 1000 turrets protecting our base, and our base still gets raided by people on foot with 2000 armor. this will chase people away, as there will be no way to protect yourself from something like griefers. not to mention full server invasion.

See your stuck in this mindset that PVP servers are somehow meant to be full of friendly and loving people. It should be customary to slaughter each other without giving a damn. There is not enough PVP happening on servers atm because everyone wants to hold hands, be allies of everyone else and complain about some ghost called a "griefer".

Hopefully this change will herald a new Dark Age for ARK PVP. More slaughter and regular combat happening daily on servers. Let the blood flow. 

Just now, mojoroc said:

This is the most idiotic thing I have seen... and deployed in an underhanded way. I cannot help think this was thought up in the middle of a drunken office party, and the dip$hit who suggested it, just snuck in and deployed it without further approval or review.

Totally, Agree they have not done their homework on this unless they going to make the turrets do 4000 damage they will lose people just from griefing alone.

Just now, Murdoc said:

Totally, Agree they have not done their homework on this unless they going to make the turrets do 4000 damage they will lose people just from griefing alone.

Again you are using this word "griefer". Successful PVP player is what you are really talking about and since you presumably play on a PVP server what is wrong with a bit PVP after all even it yours dinos doing the dieing.

12 minutes ago, DarthaNyan said:

but then: less lag from fewer turrets will (should) result in better turret tracking in case of speedy armored raiders.

Have you actaully seen some griefers, they do not care about turrets in the first place, what wildcard is going to have on their hands is a oppisite action, rather let the griefers blow up 60 wall levels before they get to your base, doesnt go about lag or performance, the game is grosly unbalanced when people do not need to worry about 200 x plants and a hundred turrets, that means nothing to the griefers, if you would like I can link you a couple of youtube vids stating, that will 100 turrets you will be constantly wiped. constantly wiped will lead to mass leaving.

More turrets means that more bullets will be shot, hence will stop griefers in their tracks

1 minute ago, ForzaProiettile said:

Again you are using this word "griefer". Successful PVP player is what you are really talking about and since you presumably play on a PVP server what is wrong with a bit PVP after all even it yours dinos doing the dieing.

not until you have to stay up 32 hours defending against a mass server invasion. don't mind the PvP but if your fighting and someone merely walks in and starts looting your base, that's the worse, Kish did that to us while we defended against an invasion. if you don't have PVP suggest joining a tribe that constantly has

5 minutes ago, Murdoc said:

Have you actaully seen some griefers, they do not care about turrets in the first place, what wildcard is going to have on their hands is a oppisite action, rather let the griefers blow up 60 wall levels before they get to your base, doesnt go about lag or performance, the game is grosly unbalanced when people do not need to worry about 200 x plants and a hundred turrets, that means nothing to the griefers, if you would like I can link you a couple of youtube vids stating, that will 100 turrets you will be constantly wiped. constantly wiped will lead to mass leaving.

Wait i'm confused, if people can just run past turrets right now that whats the point of having so many turrets if they are ineffective?

5 minutes ago, Murdoc said:

Not really. Those that leave official will head to some unofficial so called"PVP" server with a 1000 rules on raiding. It always happens, some just aren't cut for official play or rates.

Just now, CobraD said:

Wait i'm confused, if people can just run past turrets right now that whats the point of having so many turrets if they are ineffective?

He's telling you a story. It's not necessarily meant to be factual. Its a total myth that you can just run past turrets, probably propagated by the same people that said ARK would die if Flyers were nerfed. (Didn't happen).

If the new turret limit fixes the shooting issue and server lag, it will be good for ark pvp. But turrets really need to work then. No more running to plant c4 and back. Also turret damage and capacity needs to be fixed to match current defenses. Auto-turrets and plants needs a major damage buff. Also as of now you can't have many plants and they're really easy to destroy with fire arrows so plants needs to be indestructable for now on. Also increase plant range.

Basically, if  a base have 1000 turrets now and it's reduced to 100, capacity and fireing speed needs to be increased by 10x to obtain same damage, dps and bullet consumption.

The developers of this game often don't get a lot of love even though their game is the best strategic PVP game out there by many miles.

This new initiative to improve server performance by restraining over enthusiastic defensive players will not only improve server performance for all players on PVP servers but it will lead to a more exciting gameplay experience. A different meta which evolve away from the farm, build, build, build, build, build, build defensive meta that has dominated ARK for the last year. Less turrets means more opportunities to raid and more raiding means more PVP which is what should be happening on PVP servers which actually rarely happens these days,

I applaud the Devs for this bold move. This change ranks up there with the Flyer Balance Patch. Great changes that made the game better and more enjoyable for all.

6 minutes ago, TangoOsmo said:

If the new turret limit fixes the shooting issue and server lag, it will be good for ark pvp. But turrets really need to work then. No more running to plant c4 and back. Also turret damage and capacity needs to be fixed to match current defenses. Auto-turrets and plants needs a major damage buff. Also as of now you can't have many plants and they're really easy to destroy with fire arrows so plants needs to be indestructable for now on. Also increase plant range.

Basically, if  a base have 1000 turrets now and it's reduced to 100, capacity and fireing speed needs to be increased by 10x to obtain same damage, dps and bullet consumption.

Increasing the firing speed would increase the lag. That won't happen. 

If this patch fixes the server lag and turret problems, it is mandatory for ark pvp. But turrets just needs to be rework.

- Increase turret capacity a lot, 6-10x or a centered bullet dispenser unit where you can put bullets and it shares those to nearby turrets.

- Increase turret damage 4-6x, except tek turret maybe 2x.

- Increase turret rotation speed and fireing rate.

- Increase turret hp a lot. Also plant turrets should be invurnable to fire arrows and catapults for now on.

- And most of all, turrets should shoot on sight...

The devs are really starting to piss me and everyone off. Like how do they expect people to defend the huge bases that slot of people already have built??! Only wildcard would nerf turrets and not even touch soakers. Ffs they’re driving me round the bend now, it amazes me how terrible they are at fixing stuff. If they were good devs they would have fixed all these stupid issues a while ago but no, first let’s add a bloody otter to the game because that’s more important. Might as well just switch to pve now

If fireing speed cannot be increased, then turrets should one hit player / shields, ect. And disable all explosives from being used on top of dinos, stegos ect. Also turrets should clear all projectiles and drag dolls in range by one shot. (one bullet from one turret would clear all projectiles in turret range)

2 minutes ago, Mythiqo7 said:

The devs are really starting to piss me and everyone off. Like how do they expect people to defend the huge bases that slot of people already have built??! Only wildcard would nerf turrets and not even touch soakers. Ffs they’re driving me round the bend now, it amazes me how terrible they are at fixing stuff. If they were good devs they would have fixed all these stupid issues a while ago but no, first let’s add a bloody otter to the game because that’s more important. Might as well just switch to pve now

Soakers ain't the problem here. Problem is that chinese human wave is kind of op against 25 turrets if they don't one shot players.

1 hour ago, CobraD said:

With the extra damage and ability to hold more ammo per turret it should be fine. 

I really don't feel that will be enough to stop a veggie cake 30k+ HP Stego as not all 100 turrets can be aimed at the one target if you are getting full coverage. 

Titans too I forgot about would be invincible to bases with only 100 Turrets. 

Just now, TangoOsmo said:

If fireing speed cannot be increased, then turrets should one hit player / shields, ect. And disable all explosives from being used on top of dinos, stegos ect. Also turrets should clear all projectiles and drag dolls in range by one shot. (one bullet from one turret would clear all projectiles in turret range)

Sorry but those ideas are terrible for gameplay, they would reduce the already few strategic options available to players and just result in boring dino turret tanking as the only viable way to raid.

4 minutes ago, Mythiqo7 said:

The thing is huge bases are both A) Problematic for servers and B) Completely unnecessary.

The devs are sending players a message here with a jab from a little cattle prod - build smaller, build smarter, don't lag our servers with your pointless large bases because now you won't be able to defend them so easily.

3 minutes ago, Rancor said:

I really don't feel that will be enough to stop a veggie cake 30k+ HP Stego as not all 100 turrets can be aimed at the one target if you are getting full coverage. 

Titans too I forgot about would be invincible to bases with only 100 Turrets. 

Isn't that the point of Titans?
They are supposed to be base-killers.
Don't want a titan in your base? Keep an eye on people taming it and interrupt their plan.

41 minutes ago, ForzaProiettile said:

See your stuck in this mindset that PVP servers are somehow meant to be full of friendly and loving people. It should be customary to slaughter each other without giving a damn. There is not enough PVP happening on servers atm because everyone wants to hold hands, be allies of everyone else and complain about some ghost called a "griefer".

Hopefully this change will herald a new Dark Age for ARK PVP. More slaughter and regular combat happening daily on servers. Let the blood flow. 

It will be fun for like a day, just when new servers come out and everyone is non stop PvP but that gets old fast. Got tired of Center being "Log in, tame ptera, kill enemy ptera, lose your ptera repeat." did that for weeks. Couldn't do anything with out constant barrel roll. No new tribe will ever reach level 90s nor even dream of doing a boss fight as they wont have a base long enough to raise the tames needed. 

Probably trying to kill off the old maps to get everyone into Abberation, then undo the change. 

Archived