Turret change discussion megathread

Rancor

Greetings survivors! 

In this last patch they implemented a turret counter to limit a certain number of turrets in an area... Not sure what the range is but i have a plant turret telling me I have 226/100 Turrets in what I consider a poorly defended base on Official PvP servers. 

With out nerfing TONS of tames HP or greatly increasing turret DPS ( Not sure the 20% will be enough )this will break the game. Players have Brontos,Stegos, Paracers, and Turtles that can easily soak up that many turrets or blow up the reduced number of turret towers. 

How does everyone else feel about the Turret limit for performance gains? And if you are okay with it what steps do you feel are needed to provide some balance?  

EDIT: Latest Turret Update Info https://steamcommunity.com/games/346110/announcements/detail/1459592783026223785

EDIT 2: Heavy Turrets are in Game, Have to be level 100?!?! (Ridiculous as I got my first level 100 character after 3.5k hours of official PvP xD, if you play small tribe RIP) and 100 engram points :/ 

COSTS: 1 Auto Turret, 150 CP, 200 Electronics, 400 Ingots, and 50 Poly. ( Lvl 100 with 100 Engram Points) does 3.4x normal auto turret and uses 4 ammo per shot. 

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really? Wow the mind boggles. If this is the case then i believe turret damage should do 2x damage or even ignore saddle armour to a flat percentage. The odds are already stacked in a well prepared raiders favour...this will just make that gap even more obvious. RIP official pvp...i fear more people will turn to unofficial as the devs make even more rash changes.

I think the damage buff should be higher, not sure how much though. Ask the the most active pvpers.

19 minutes ago, Rancor said:

Not sure what the range is but i have a plant turret telling me I have 226/100 Turrets in what I consider a poorly defended base on Official PvP servers. 

Can anybody give us an estimate as to how large the space is that allows 100 turrets? I'm on console. Use foundations or walls as units or whatever.

I'm leaving ark because of this. i have spent so much time on official and now its all going down the drain. Bases cannot be defended with just 100 turrets. We can easily get past. its going to be way too hard to defend and way to easy to raid. Thats 25 Turrets on each side of the base, and then turret towers and internal turrets? You would have about 15 turrets on each side of the base and ask ANYONE in the ark community. it would be a piece of cake. 100 turrets wont stop a titan by the time it walks up and smashes them. There is no safety and its going to be a constant grind and constant wipe. Please don't change this, leave the turrets how they are and actually optimise your server and client. You have just killed your game. Anyways im going to go buy another game. GG

I think this is a welcome and much needed change. PVP servers are rapidly turning into PVE servers since its very easy to just spam turrets and deny PVP through sheer lag let alone bullets.

If players want unraidable bases, the devs have created the PVE mode to suit their tastes. PVP servers should mean frequent and constant warfare not colossal bases with thousands of turrets that can't be attacked because the server crashes if you try to. Most PVP servers today might see one battle once a month if they are lucky otherwise its Farmville with everyone hiding behind their lag generators.

3 minutes ago, ForzaProiettile said:

I think this is a welcome and much needed change. PVP are rapidly turning into PVE servers since its very easy to just spam turrets and deny PVP through sheer lag let alone bullets.

If players want unraidable bases, the devs have created the PVE mode to suit their tastes. PVP servers should mean frequent and constant warfare not colossal bases with thousands of turrets that can't be attacked because the server crashes if you try to. Most PVP servers today might see one battle once a month if they are lucky otherwise its Farmville with everyone hiding behind their lag generators.

You do realise 100 turrets on even a mediocre sized base is very easy to cap? Lets all just chuck stones instead eh.

5 minutes ago, KillaMrB said:

You do realise 100 turrets on even a mediocre sized base is very easy to cap? Lets all just chuck stones instead eh.

Lets all play sim city because that's what this game is evolving into. I don't know why the devs increased the allowable structures in an area limit last year. It's done wonders for creating server lag among other issues. By reducing the amount of lag turrets in a small area, hopefully server performance will improve again.

After this the devs need to rethink base size limits. They could cull it by 50% and probably more then 95% of bases in the game would be completely unaffected. There is no need to build these giant bases players do, its just greedy bored players who like to stroke their virtual egos going out of their way to inconvenience everyone else on the server. Most of the time they aren't even an effective defence since the bigger the base the thinner the defences must be spread.

I am flabbergasted! I've never even used that word before now.... a base with 100 turrets, can EASY be raided in about 10 minutes with 2 stegos and a dozen veggie cakes.... 20% dmg buff? That's nothing, a base with 100 turrets with a couple internals and roughly 20per side.... you can literally shield raid that...

I was fully on board with the wipe, fully on board with the flier nerf, fully on board with buying abber... but 100 turrets max, I can't be on board with that.... maybe if it was 500 turrets and +300% dmg

This is insanity.... flabbergasted 

just wow

8 minutes ago, ForzaProiettile said:

Lets all play sim city because that's what this game is evolving into. I don't know why the devs increased the allowable structures in an area limit last year. It's done wonders for creating server lag among other issues. By reducing the amount of lag turrets in a small area, hopefully server performance will improve again.

After this the devs need to rethink base size limits. They could cull it by 50% and probably more then 95% of bases in the game would be completely unaffected. There is no need to build these giant bases players do, its just greedy bored players who like to stroke their virtual egos going out of their way to inconvenience everyone else on the server. Most of the time they aren't even an effective defence since the bigger the base the thinner the defences must be spread.

Or they could have better servers.

Performance. Balance. Lag Reduction.

Take your pick but there are multiple reasons why this has to happen. It's a very good change that players will readily warm to once they see the benefits its induces on servers. I'm expecting a lot more PVP and raiding and overall servers coming "alive" again now that it's less easy for players to hide behind their walls of lag.

3 minutes ago, veve said:

Or they could have better servers.

And then they do that and someone proceeds to make the entire map into a base and then complains that the game isn't optimized. 

The PVP side of this game has slowly lost its excitement since it was released in 2015 with the game evolving into mega tribes of 70+ people and hundred of allied tribes and giant lag inducing bases that can't be raided because it makes the server crash. These changes are a step forward to improving PVP and reducing lag at the same time. A double win for the average player. A bit of a loss for the alpha tribe base builder. 

Adding armor piercing or partial armor piercing property for turrets would be one way to approach turret deficiency issue without crippling saddle-less mounts.

On top of that there are other ways to indirectly buff turret damage to tamed/boosted dinos:

Note: that is an old thread that doesnt account for Yuty buff which is yet another huge damage reduction.

7 minutes ago, ForzaProiettile said:

Performance. Balance. Lag Reduction.

Take your pick but there are multiple reasons why this has to happen. It's a very good change that players will readily warm to once they see the benefits its induces on servers. I'm expecting a lot more PVP and raiding and overall servers coming "alive" again now that it's less easy for players to hide behind their walls of lag.

It will also have a massive negative effect, as it will be even more customary to kill people on the server, instead of letting them build up, not to mention most griefers run past 600 turrets like its nothing, what is the plan for that? 

We have 1000 turrets protecting our base, and our base still gets raided by people on foot with 2000 armor. this will chase people away, as there will be no way to protect yourself from something like griefers. not to mention full server invasion.

Archived