Wingsuit Too OP/Unbalanced

ForzaProiettile

From looking at all the videos showcasing the Wing Suit it is pretty clear this thing is less like a glider and more like a plane/flyer. It hardly loses any altitude as its going forward which means there will be really very little functional difference between using that and a flyer from regular ARK. I sincerely hope the amount of altitude you drop from using it is much higher then shown in the videos, otherwise you will end up with the same problem you have in ARK where everyone moves on flyers unless they are farming.

Aberration seems to be an attempt by the ARK devs to end the flyer domination mode that ARK has sadly become but in order to succeed you need to give ground dinos/players viable options not to travel around in a wingsuit and so far I've seen none. There will be little point to the grapple hook and zipline if this thing stays the way it is.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, ForzaProiettile said:

From looking at all the videos showcasing the Wing Suit it is pretty clear this thing is less like a glider and more like AWESOME! It hardly loses any altitude as its going forward which means there will be SO MUCH MOARRRRRR AWESOME! I sincerely hope the amount of altitude you drop from using it is much higher then shown in the videos, otherwise you will end up with not as much awesome as otherwise.

Aberration seems to be an attempt by the ARK devs to end the flyer domination mode that ARK has sadly become but in order to succeed you need to give ground dinos/players more frequent options <negative deleted> to travel around in a wingsuit and so far I've seen none since the DLC has not yet been released. There will be little point to the grapple hook and zipline if this thing stays the way it is....ya know...not  yet released.

Fixed that for you.  :P

That is MY opinion.

4 hours ago, ForzaProiettile said:

From looking at all the videos showcasing the Wing Suit it is pretty clear this thing is less like a glider and more like a plane/flyer. It hardly loses any altitude as its going forward which means there will be really very little functional difference between using that and a flyer from regular ARK. I sincerely hope the amount of altitude you drop from using it is much higher then shown in the videos, otherwise you will end up with the same problem you have in ARK where everyone moves on flyers unless they are farming.

Aberration seems to be an attempt by the ARK devs to end the flyer domination mode that ARK has sadly become but in order to succeed you need to give ground dinos/players viable options not to travel around in a wingsuit and so far I've seen none. There will be little point to the grapple hook and zipline if this thing stays the way it is.

Dude....it's not even out yet...it'll probably be changed by release.

45 minutes ago, Z0mbie said:

Gotta love it. The expansion isn't even out yet and people are already calling for nerfs. SMH.

Well given how long it took them to come to the conclusion that Flyers and Clubs were mightily OP (2 years)  I figured I would start early with something that is quite evidentially OP/Unbalanced so that hopefully come release they will have made it balanced.

How is it unbalanced? I'm sorry but being able to glide really far does not create any unbalance at all. Ziplines will still be useful, as will grapples. 

Gliding ≠ Flying

Not to mention the fact that you won't have the added strength and health of a flyer. 

It's asinine to ask for a nerf for something you've never even used.

You won't be able to go straight up from the ground, so functionally, the wingsuits are very different from a flyer mount, not to mention the lack of ability to pick up people and small/medium tames (which may very well be possible with graps, to be fair).

I think once aberration is out you will be glad about how (presumably) useful they are.

Flying around in a wingsuit is way more vulnerable than a flyer on the other servers. You are limited in your character carry weight, have to jump off a high point/climb a wall first, and you need something to power it, and your HP if hit by turrets is limited to your character. Also we do not know the resource costs of the suits and they are likely to be expensive. With caves you have limited flying movement anyways so it should not be an issue. 

19 hours ago, Sacred Demon said:

Flying around in a wingsuit is way more vulnerable than a flyer on the other servers. You are limited in your character carry weight, have to jump off a high point/climb a wall first, and you need something to power it, and your HP if hit by turrets is limited to your character. Also we do not know the resource costs of the suits and they are likely to be expensive. With caves you have limited flying movement anyways so it should not be an issue. 

The point is your still a "flyer" which is something Aberration was meant to be doing differently ie encouraging people not to use flying mounts/flying as a means of getting around. The Wing Suit will undo all their hard work they have put in making ziplines and rock climbing.

The point is your still a "flyer" which is something Aberration was meant to be doing differently ie encouraging people not to use flying mounts/flying as a means of getting around. The Wing Suit will undo all their hard work they have put in making ziplines and rock climbing.
... Or people will need to use zip lines and rock climbing to get to a point where they can glide. They said no flying mounts not no flying/gliding at all.

On 18. 11. 2017 at 6:51 PM, ForzaProiettile said:

You are also not "flying" because you can't just hang in mid air. If you will try to stop  forward movement you will fall down as rock.

• Volunteer Moderator

I understand you feel you are trying to get ahead of the development and hope that they make adjustments, but you are trying to force adjustments to something you have had zero experience of and feel you have the qualifications to call it OP and unbalanced.

1. You can't fly with it you can only glide.

2. You can't glide from the ground up.

3. You have to climb/zipline to higher ground to use the glider.

4. The glider has no attack mechanism.

5. You do lose altitude, but I believe you can regain altitude by swooping as seen in the videos.

6. The problem with flyers was mainly the speed, I doubt that the glider will have a speed stat so everyone using gliders will go at the same speed.

7. If you see someone on a glider simply point your firearm and shoot lol as they won't be able to speed off into the distance.

Next up will be Rock Drake OP! o.O

2 hours ago, GP said:

Don't think so, but I could be wrong, but i'm pretty sure the zipline is now electrical power.

I’m pretty sure default zip line isn’t powered and can only go downhill, but you can get a motor which you attach to your pants that allows you to move up and down at will and use a gun, so long as you have gas in your inventory. 

Also, devs did mention the glide suit needing a little balance because it was possible to gain altitude nearly indefinitely, albeit very slowly, by jerking down and going up again. This was during the extra life stream, so they’ve probably fixed it by now.

• Volunteer Moderator
4 minutes ago, Midnight_ said:

Ok.....so you "misspoke" then?  ;)

I didn't mis-speak, you are just thinking inside a small box and not outside the box. There may be areas where you cannot climb to get to higher ground, therefore you may need to zipline to a different area to continue climbing, and you may have to do that several times depending on what the area is like, so yes ziplining may be required to get to higher ground combined with climbing. ;)

Archived