MassivelyOP 's Article on Ark(not good)

Novarae

http://massivelyop.com/2017/11/16/the-survivalist-ark-survival-evolveds-sequel-tease-is-an-insult-to-its-fans/

Just a bit of background about the article author: They have a semi public server and steam group and have had the server for 2+ years.  They do not use nor have ever significantly discussed or streamed about modded content(their server is mod free and they've always expressed dislike for mods).  Unless she changes it since its been pointed out in the comments section of her article, she doesn't even know that Jeremy isn't the CEO of Wildcard instead of Doug.

Honestly while some of her points are of merit, much of her article is just conjecture and an axe-grinding rant.    

2 minutes ago, Novarae said:

http://massivelyop.com/2017/11/16/the-survivalist-ark-survival-evolveds-sequel-tease-is-an-insult-to-its-fans/

Just a bit of background about the article author: They have a semi public server and steam group and have had the server for 2+ years.  They do not use nor have ever significantly discussed or streams about modded content(their server is mod free and they've always expressed dislike for mods).  Unless she changes it since its been pointed out in the comments section of her article, she doesn't even know that Jeremy isn't the CEO of Wildcard instead of Doug.

Honestly while some of her points are of merit, much of her article are just conjecture and an axe-grinding rant.    

Well to be fair to the author of that article this article features the actual CEO of Wildcard and it's just as bad:

http://www.pcgamer.com/ark-survival-evolved-studio-ceo-on-early-access-reviews-and-punching-trees/

1 minute ago, Vrallox said:

Well to be fair to the author of that article this article features the actual CEO of Wildcard and it's just as bad:

http://www.pcgamer.com/ark-survival-evolved-studio-ceo-on-early-access-reviews-and-punching-trees/

At the very least PCGamer at least got it right that the person they interviewed is the CEO and not as the MassivelyOP writer MJ goofed on.

4 minutes ago, Olivar said:

I haven't seen quality articles on Massively for years. Massive falls in the same category as Polygon....
The PCgamer one is way better written

Massively's gone off the rails in recent years to be sure.  I don't fault the issue with it being from their split with AOL (as they were let go and Engadget is the resulting newsoutlet otherwise).  More or less the head of Massively just hasn't put much effort into keeping the site up to date and moving with the times, relying more on pieces that are meant to get page scroll of comments versus meaningful articles(I don't call it click bait, I call it comment bait). Worse MJ is their "streaming/media manager" and if you watch their videos, paint peeling is a more entertaining and informative watch(and I'm being generous).  Watching her ark ones is her droning on, dying, laughing she died, droning, dying laughing she died on and on and on.

• Administrator

This is a perfect example of why I constantly tweet and tell people on here not to listen to rumors you hear about online. Eli was merely saying [from his personal opinion] that there should be a sequel, if a game does well... and this article has gone and blown it up into -STUDIO WILDCARD ALREADY WORKING ON SEQUEL WHILE MAIN GAME IS BROKEN, SCREW THEM!-

It's just ridiculous, and so wrong in every possible way.

via GIPHY

52 minutes ago, Chris said:

This is a perfect example of why I constantly tweet and tell people on here not to listen to rumors you hear about online. Eli was merely saying [from his personal opinion] that there should be a sequel, if a game does well... and this article has gone and blown it up into -STUDIO WILDCARD ALREADY WORKING ON SEQUEL WHILE MAIN GAME IS BROKEN, SCREW THEM!-

It's just ridiculous, and so wrong in every possible way.

via GIPHY

Well to be fair Chris, I did think Eli was just simply reiterating what Jesse said in that article a week ago about sequel things:  https://www.dualshockers.com/ark-survival-evolved-sequel/

MJ probably didn't even get news of what Eli said and instead got it from Tanek(who posts here) who is her assistant for streams and their server(s).  Though they may have gotten it as a news tip(though doubtful).

I tried to set the record straight in MJ's article though linking that interview but MJ is just(and I say this in the most generous way) clueless about ark(and most games she streams or articles she writes), even after 1500 hours she's had in it.

She doesn't media monitor Ark(nor anyone on their news site team) and just rely on tips or some articles from other sites they read. You think she would with so much time actually supposedly invested in it but no. I used to send them tips for many years but I've just stopped because half the time MOP just bungles it.

I keep a running folder myself of articles, tweets of relevance, and other wise to debunk disinformation like MJ's article or typical steam forum posts similar(same really) as best I can but one bad thing that is of merit is that MJ's ignorance is about par for the course of what I see every day on steam sadly.

That server wipe rumor turned out to be true...and then wasn't...and then was (kind of)

I think the problem is that players just really don't trust the devs anymore. So it was a huge mistake to mention the possibility of a sequel on Jesse's part because now a number of people think it's being worked on even when employees of Wildcard are saying differently. If the higher ups at Wildcard don't want bad reactions to what their people say then they need to take into account a whole lot of people are upset with them and will gladly take anything even remotely negative to heart.

My prediction of a future post: "Aberration has been released but S+ integration is delayed yet again because they're working on the sequel!"

A trello board would be nice. See not only what they're working on but also their progress while having the added benefit of keeping their to do list organized. Is there even a downside to trello? :D

• Volunteer Moderator
18 minutes ago, Vrallox said:

A trello board would be nice. See not only what they're working on but also their progress while having the added benefit of keeping their to do list organized. Is there even a downside to trello? :D

What company in their right mind would make that information public?

I personally find it pretty amusing that people even feel entitled to that kind of access to a company.

1 minute ago, Joebl0w13 said:

There's quite a few that do this actually.
I remember looking into specially public made boards to share updates about things.

https://trello.com/b/yxoJrFgP/subnautica-development

For example is the Subnautica Dev Board.

16 minutes ago, Vrallox said:

If the higher ups at Wildcard don't want bad reactions to what their people say then they need to take into account a whole lot of people are upset with them and will gladly take anything even remotely negative to heart. 

If wildcard wants people to not be upset then they need to interact more with the fans but also not interact more with the fans. So basically they need to find a way to both ignore/not ignore fans at the same time without breaking the laws of physics.

also I didn't know working on a sequel would be viewed as a negative thing. Whenever I hear about a game I love one day getting a sequel I'm usually stoked cause that means the game is doing good enough to keep conintuing it.

• Volunteer Moderator
11 minutes ago, Olivar said:

There's quite a few that do this actually.
I remember looking into specially public made boards to share updates about things.

https://trello.com/b/yxoJrFgP/subnautica-development

For example is the Subnautica Dev Board.

That's a game still in EA and that makes sense.

Ark is no longer in EA.

31 minutes ago, Joebl0w13 said:

I personally find it pretty amusing that people even feel entitled to that kind of access to a company.

A few people over at that Wildcard place mentioned that they're working on an expansion called Aberration for their ARK: Survival Evolved game and they've got a TLC dino pass and S+ mod integration coming up after. Just the kind of information that'd go on a trello board since one doesn't have to be incredibly detailed when using it.

And as Olivar pointed out, how does being out of early access matter? The game is still being developed?

• Volunteer Moderator
1 minute ago, Olivar said:

Maybe you want some other examples:

Like I said, I find it comically entertaining that people feel entitled to this from a company.

9 minutes ago, Olivar said:

That's your opinion.
Others might see it as the company getting the community involved and showing what's coming from them or where stuff is in the development line.

I don't even know why he has a problem with it. The devs give us that information already in the form of bread crumbs. We know they're working on certain things. We know they don't like chatting with us directly. Giving them a way to keep us updated without communicating with us directly seems like a great fit with them. And they can be as vague as they want.

I don't feel entitled to the information. I'd just like to know more about what's going on than "At some point in the future something might be released." And I think people keeping information that is no way essential to being kept secret secret anyway is pure...cough...silliness...to put it politely.

edit: The mods have complained about the need to deal with threads concerning speculation about upcoming game releases. Mostly about wild theories or whatnot due to lack of information. I would have thought something like a better method for quelling such activity would be welcomed.

• Administrator
27 minutes ago, Vrallox said:

A few people over at that Wildcard place mentioned that they're working on an expansion called Aberration for their ARK: Survival Evolved game and they've got a TLC dino pass and S+ mod integration coming up after. Just the kind of information that'd go on a trello board since one doesn't have to be incredibly detailed when using it.

We already tell you that information on all channels, when we have it..... 

• Volunteer Moderator
27 minutes ago, Vrallox said:

Mostly about wild theories or whatnot due to lack of information. I would have thought something like a better method for quelling such activity would be welcomed.

The best method is for people to stop spreading garbage to begin with.

49 minutes ago, Vrallox said:

I don't even know why he has a problem with it. The devs give us that information already in the form of bread crumbs. We know they're working on certain things. We know they don't like chatting with us directly. Giving them a way to keep us updated without communicating with us directly seems like a great fit with them. And they can be as vague as they want.

They forget to update patchnotes sometimes or are extremely vague about changes. Asking for more at this point is just asking for more frustration.

Now I figure you’ll all see this as a rant or flame and that’s fine and it’s a bit long winded [2 page wall of txt] but I am posting it anyway as it’s somewhat relevant to these articles and I have some passion around your game.

All articles aside and all hoopla aside, we as long term players [speaking for a small group] know what’s going on to some extent. I mean you say you’re listening and rightly so we see some changes and updates we suggested. So you must be listening/looking at our feedback as your making those changes in the patches right?

We have been here the whole time [EA], we know your track record its public knowledge if you’re paying attention and have been here for some time.

I think for the most part we have all given you guys support longer than we probably should have hoping you would come back and fix things. [Really fix them, not band aid them]

The problem we have is the core is about unplayable now, as you haven't come back to fix the core issues that cause the game to go into these "game breaking" mode of crashes, dropped connections, game lockups, massive tribes/dino farms clogging up servers with storage to the point the engine math freezes at some /0 point and many more issues you guys already are aware of, the list is a long one. lol

I can tell you we all "mostly" love the game but the current state of it and the development currently happening doesn't seem to point to any "real" fixes anytime soon for the core. It does look as if you are out to just grab some more dollars for whatever reasons you deem justifiable and you prove this at every turn. You say one thing then do another time and time again.

If the core is broken beyond repair [talk of starting over true or not], then you must not have really been listening to all of us early on when we’re telling you guys about it and complaining about the broken core gameplay. We all were saying we'd be happy to wait 6m or more if you could go and fix the base game play or at least revisit it seriously with some real effort. Why? Because we like playing your game and enjoy the feeling of getting away from reality for a bit, ARK is a great game concept wise but very lacking in your delivery of it. But that can’t happen as you have to pay your staff and well if you aren’t selling then you aren’t paying your staff, so more money its simple economics here. We as end-users don’t care about your money problems, that’s not our fault nor our problem.

I for one have been pretty vocal on some issues and a few maybe were just frustrated rants and not feedback but this would be what your game is creating in its player base by your actions and direction or lack thereof.

If I bought say, CODWWII and loaded it up and it acted like ARK does, I would probably never ever buy another COD game period let alone any game from the developers. No one wants to play a busted game EA or not, no one wants to hear empty promises of phantomwares as you take their money, no one wants to spend hard earn money [yeah $20 lol] on something that’s broken out of the gate. I have spent more money on your game than any single title in my 40 years of gaming now that says something, either it’s a great game concept or I’m an idiot. Maybe a little of both to be somewhat fair.

I just think besides all the hoopla you serve up, the rants and raves others do/say, we just look at your history and your track record over the years. It speaks for itself, you guys know it already so it’s like talking to a broken record and I won't repeat it for sake of ranting on again.

I personally after 3 years no longer want to play the game now as it’s so busted and your direction doesn’t seem to be something I can still support. I can't take the constant crashes, resets, rollbacks, lockups, 30gb updates w/more bugs, goofy nerfs that nerf other things because it wasn't really testing properly before releasing. Mammoth color tile bug comes to mind every time I think about it obviously QA here needs to be rethought. You have had plenty of time now to become experts of your own game and its code.

I have quite a bit of background in programming and over 35 years in I.T. and software so I do have some first-hand knowledge on what is required and what it takes to develop software games or other wares. As end users we can only assume how you go about your development /management and I think we really don’t care honestly we want a working game.

I won’t be buying Aberration because of your track record and how broken the game is in its current state and where you’re heading based on what is being said by all sources. Why should I give you more money for the same old broken thing.

You got me excited with Rag so I went ahead against my better judgment and tried it out as I had already quit your game for 100 reasons. Low and behold it’s horribly broken and you knew it but released it anyway and here we are again adding to your track record.

You won't be getting my $ for anymore DLC until you fix your broken game. If that day comes in the future well maybe I will give you all the benefit of the doubt once more.

I'll start that day off with "Let the beatings begin" and then load your game after a few shots of rum to calm my nerves as the same old problems start to manifest given your track record.

I hope you all have success and can get past these problems and fix the game as it should have been before your “official” release. You didn’t hold true to your promises here and so you should be a bit taken back with yourselves for your “official” release of this hot mess.

1 hour ago, Joebl0w13 said:

Like I said, I find it comically entertaining that people feel entitled to this from a company.

I think your point has merit, but I also feel that a little more transparency would be a good thing as well. As it stands you have a vocal player base that do not understand all of the time and work that goes into creating a game, fixing bugs, performing optimizations, responding to situations, and creating additional content. That means they see these ETA's and think they are basically written in stone and then when a deadline goes late or is missed they scream fowl, not understanding the reasons that make those type of situations occur.

These same people come to these forums or look online for information only to find something that is full of half truths or even completely false information and then they come here spouting as it was fact and making a bigger scene over it. I mean don't get me wrong some of this would still happen regardless, but being more transparent helps reduce this type of behavior.

I also don't think people are entitled to it, but I think that when the communication starts to slow down to a trickle like it has lately that people will grasp at anything to get them more transparency. So this would be one way of doing it.. the information doesn't need to be in great detail. It just needs to be enough to help calm the masses and put players at ease and help them understand what process's or projects might be going on.

I guess my question to you would be this. Why do you feel this would be a bad thing? What problems or conflicts do you see it causing? Why do you feel that something that encourages more transparency would be a bad thing?

• Chris locked this topic

Archived