The point of playing ark

SmokeyB

Ok so not a hate thread,  I just want peoplel to say why they play ark,  what are their goals,  what are they trying to do,  like what is the point of playing for you?  What keeps you coming back?  What's the reason you build or breed or whatever you do in ark?  What would make you stop playing once you achieved it?  

To breed the highest stats I can into a dino and beat all the bosses and Ascend. 

On legacy my focus was to create a big trade market and I did a pretty good job at that. Started by having the kibble that everybody wanted/needed, then the high level tames, then the high level breeds, then the awesome colors, then the top items and Boss ready stuff. I would venture to say our Quetzal's were on at least 50 different PvE server's which to me was a success. 

This time around I have pulled back from the trading thing and want to create my own unique lines from the ground up. I have already failed in the Rex department (traded for another tribe's hp as we couldn't get a stat mute on ours nor have we found a new higher level yet) currently but keep dropping wild's in the hopes I get back on track. Our Saber, Bear, Anky, Doedic lines are all ours though. Not the premier yet but we are still working on it. 

I have a feeling our Argy's are going to be the first chance at 300 hatches though Anky is up there too. Both are hatching over 250 currently and the Argy still has some stats to breed in (43 melee) but the great thing on both of those lines is no stat mutations (well applied stats mutations) currently. Some color though. 

What will make me leave? I won't know until it happens. A GF (xDxDxD j/k I have no real human contact outside of work), a different game that draws my attention (like Ark did from BF1 and BF1 did from 7 Days to Die, and 7 Days to Die did from Black Ops III, etc.), a lifestyle change (was about a year long break from any gaming as I just watched movies and shows and attended a lot of sporting events live), or death. 

I tend to react to a given day and currently Ark is how I choose to apply my free time. I enjoy working on these dino's and having stuff other people covet. I enjoy playing with a new PS friend that I'll never meet and one day we'll move on to other different things but for now the last 5 months as a two man tribe have been awesome. 

I enjoy the variety of things I can do in Ark. I want to tame this dino, I want to build this building, I just want to go around killing a lot of other dino's, I just want to craft a bunch of different items, I just want to explore this area. I like having a goal or not having a goal. 

Once I don't like any of that more then I like something else, that'll be when I move on. 

5 minutes ago, Olivar said:

Why I play Ark:

• Invested money in it (server + season pass)
  • Girlfriend loves the game, so always have a play partner
  • I love building bases
  • I love dino's

Girlfriend here.
Ark is beautiful game to just simply sit and watch.
I love taming dinos.
I love to build. More complicated design better.
We recently did kill of almost all bosses, ascension. Overseer fight is super epic.

I am also achievement hoarder (I am missing just The center boss kill)..

I'm a dino hoarder... I hoard dinos... I want to have all the dinos in all the colors~ (I plan on having as much as possible on each server until they reach cap as you can't dump them anymore :/, so much server to feed, they should put back the ability to dump dinos in a capped tribe/server so I don't have to make tens of characters to feed them >.>...)

Survival challenge. No game since I've been an adult has engaged me the way Ark does due to the challenge of "surviving" as a solo or small tribe on open PvP servers. There's always something to do, and to me even poop like metal runs are exciting because it's adding turrets and bullets to my defense system.

My wife and I also have 5 geckos, so the dinos and pets thing might have something to do with it too ;).

38 minutes ago, rororoxor said:

I'm a bit of a biologist, and the fact that each creature has their own dossier and is somehow unique brought me to the game in the first place. Now i just like to explore the map on a flyer and just go sightseeing for cool dinos.

Same here as an ecologist. Was originally sucked into the game because of the dinosaurs. Loved how each species had its own dossier. I spent many hours reading and rereading  the dossiers. Also loved how the devs went the extra mile and made each creature a completely made up species rather than just using real life species. I really need to make the effort to get the hard copy of the dossier book.

I keep trying to stop playing ark and play new games but not succeed yet as I still love the game. Tried Destiny 2 but couldn't  get into it.  Hoped the new Star Wars Battlefront 2 game would be it, but that isnt happening anytime soon now lol. Maybe the new pokemon game will help lol. Theres just so much to do in Ark. I could spend hours doing virtually nothing in this game. Its a fantastic game for escapism ! 

2 hours ago, AngrySaltire said:

Same here as an ecologist. Was originally sucked into the game because of the dinosaurs. Loved how each species had its own dossier. I spent many hours reading and rereading  the dossiers. Also loved how the devs went the extra mile and made each creature a completely made up species rather than just using real life species. I really need to make the effort to get the hard copy of the dossier book.

I keep trying to stop playing ark and play new games but not succeed yet as I still love the game. Tried Destiny 2 but couldn't  get into it.  Hoped the new Star Wars Battlefront 2 game would be it, but that isnt happening anytime soon now lol. Maybe the new pokemon game will help lol. Theres just so much to do in Ark. I could spend hours doing virtually nothing in this game. Its a fantastic game for escapism ! 

IKR? Literally among my favorite things to do in ark is just soar across the island looking for nice creatures even if i have no intention of taming them. I also tried to be more "normal" and play other games (such as Rocket League, CSGO, and others) but I can't stay away from ark. When they made the hardcopy dossier book, I was one of those people who wanted it as a standalone rather than in a bundle. It was just too good! 

7 hours ago, SmokeyB said:

Ok so not a hate thread,  I just want peoplel to say why they play ark,  what are their goals,  what are they trying to do,  like what is the point of playing for you?  What keeps you coming back?  What's the reason you build or breed or whatever you do in ark?  What would make you stop playing once you achieved it?  

ARK is an open world sandbox game. Your query is not really specific to the game... but the genre.

Let me rephrase the question accordingly...

" I just want people to say why they play open world sandbox games,  what are their goals,  what are they trying to do,  like what is the point of playing for you?  What keeps you coming back?  What's the reason you build or breed or whatever you do in open world sandbox games?  What would make you stop playing once you achieved it?  "

Generally speaking, I enjoy open world sandbox game. My goal is to have fun in the games sandbox features.

The point of Life, in order:

1. Reproduction i.e. spread my genes(done...twice)
  2. Survival of me and mine i.e. preservation of my genes(so far so good)
  3. Entertain myself in my time not reproducing and surviving.

Open world sandbox games would fit in the 3rd option. (thank modern civilization for getting so efficient at 1 and 2 so we have a lot of extra time)

The reason for build/breed/whatever? Everything we do in work and play has its basis in evolved imperative. We are scratching a genetic itch. It feels good.

When will I stop? When repetition replaces novelty and something novel comes along.

I play for peace and relaxation, and because Ark makes me happy.

Two decades ago or so, I didn’t understand the point of a game that didn’t have a clear endgame. I was playing mostly RPGs and liked a clear cut objective and ending. But the perpetuity of Ark is actually amazing, because that means there is no end to the happiness it brings me.

I primarily focus on breeding and / or raising my babies. My immediate goals are to start my dimorphodon bloodlines on PS4, since that was the last console my addiction to this game came to. I only have a Ragnarok and Scorched Earth game started. I’ve found some good birds to get started with, but I want to build a satellite facility for them, because my home is constructed to raise wyverns, and I would prefer a smaller facility along the lines of the optimized design I’ve worked out on Xbox before I dive in.

I also really want a mutation! I have yet to get even one on any platform, although admittedly I’ve focused more on my wyvern hoard since mutations were introduced. I’ll be super excited the day I get my first amazing dimorphodon mutation.

(Aside: I desperately wish wyverns were breedable!)

I find I’m always returning to those long, peaceful hours, watching over and imprinting my babies. And of course taking my birds hunting and going flying with my wyverns is a wonderful experience.

My only other main goal is to find a unicorn. I’ve had positively lousy luck in many, many long flights of searching.

Finally, no. Even once I have met those goals I don’t see myself ever quitting Ark. New games, new maps...pretty certain I’ll be playing Ark forever.

I love a lot of things about Ark. The game is beautiful for starters. But the reason I play, the goal? Not really sure there is one. I like to pretend I live in a world with dino's and no rules. With Ark, I can do that. So long as there are always things to be done I don't know if I'll ever move on, I feel like this will be like State of Decay for me, something I might move on from eventually, but will continually come back to.

It's the one and only video game that has ever made me want to come back and play more. My hubby is the video game buff. I have zero interest in Call of Duty or Halo or other more commonly played games. I love the creatures and the challenges. I really love the fact that I can do what I want, when I want without the rigid structure of a campaign. Currently I have an Equus addiction. Haven't bred any yet, but I'm up to 12 and it's only in-game day 4 on my single player Ragnarok game :P

23 hours ago, SmokeyB said:

I play ark because it can be played in so many different ways, from being a sailor, wanderer, raider, etc....The moment I stop playing is when I'm on burnout and looking for  change in scenery, but I imagine that if my ideas for ways to ply expired, then my enjoyment would go for good.

I think the question is why do YOU play ark?

53 minutes ago, Logan96 said:

I play ark because it can be played in so many different ways, from being a sailor, wanderer, raider, etc....The moment I stop playing is when I'm on burnout and looking for  change in scenery, but I imagine that if my ideas for ways to ply expired, then my enjoyment would go for good.

I think the question is why do YOU play ark?

I play ark because at first I played hardcore pvp solo and it was such a challenge to survive and build a little Hut and tame some animals I got hooked trying to survive,  then I got talking to other players stopped being such a noob and joined the friendliest pvp server ever,  the social side of it kept me coming back,  chilling with our allies and grinding with my tribe the server politics kept me entertained,  until one day one tribe turned on the alpha even though they was the coolest alpha ever,  a huge server war erupted as everyone picked sides it was my first real massive war and it was so cool,  we got wiped and I loved it,  we demoed the whole Base and set up in a cave and it took pretty much the whole server two weeks to get  us out while we wiped a few of the weaker tribes,  we only left because scorched came out. From then I was hooked on destroying peoples bases and killing tames,  Ive never really cared for loot,  we set up on scorched,  made loads of allies got wiped again by some mega alpha tribe,  they was onit to be fair,  first guys with dragons probably,  then we left for another scorched with our new allies,  got set up allied other large tribes and another huge server war kicked off,  this time with dragons,  two weeks of fighting and our side finaly got wiped during an electronic storm,  we uploaded what dragons we had left and went too our allies island server,  we built up strong the alpha turned on us but it was just as two way transfers opened up,  they was too late,  we had defences we had allies on different servers we had loads of war tames,  getting wipes a few times really shows you what animals are important,  we wiped them took the server and ruled as alpha. 

Where ark first hooked me with my love of building and exploring,  and my love of making things as strong as they can get ( breeding) ,  after a while it became a love for raiding and destroying peoples stuff,  I love to scout a base and find its weak points,  find safe spots to snipe from and I love the pvp,  I have never played a game with such rich varied pvp encounters. From a lone troll stalking you outside a drop or a few guys on pteras terrorising the server to like 60 guys turning up with Gigas and brontos to steamroller a base.  

Ark just has everything I want in a game.  

No other game will have a dude you've never met from half way around the world screaming at you down the mic for an hour because you blew up his stone Hut and killed his trike. 

Archived