Transfer System

t3mp0st

It has its issues, but I tend to really enjoy it. I remember somebody saying that it changes ark from being a little island with its own disputes into something that now resembles a continent in a much larger world. There may be conflicts within, but now every server needs to prepare for the inevitable invasion that will happen. So in a way it encourages griefers and small raiders to come in, but it also encourages tribes on the same server to work together. One thing I would like the devs to add is a log at the obelisks, showing who transfered in and what servers they came from. This would allow the alphas of the server to routinely inspect immigration trends to watch for potential scouts and it would eliminate this mindset that people can grief on other servers with no consequences. Just my two cents on transfers though. I've seen alot of epic battles take place because of it, but i've seen alot of good friendly players wiped for no reason as well.

Transfers are necessary for Ark to have a long life,  without transfers one tribe takes the server in first month and cannot be beaten until they get bored and stop playing,  wiped tribes have to start from lvl 1 on a new server and most just quit instead.  Alphas have nothing to do but pve and there is no trading for eggs. Before transfers there was hardly no pvp on pvp servers,  mainly only the alpha got to fight,  this left a lot of 1000 hour lvl87 noobs that had never fired a rocket before.  Since transfers everyone has seen a lot more action and learned to fight a lot better. The threat of off server raiders has made people build better bases and defences and made small tribes more ready to pvp.  No one is invincible any more,  alphas get wiped and the game is way more fun.  Until the transfer timers now it's just annoying to transfer and we're back to pve on all servers again plus you will probably lose your character anyway ( lost my lvl 93 on official new servers)  so transfers are ruined now.  

On ‎16‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 1:55 PM, t3mp0st said:

I always feel conflicted with the transfer system in this game. On one hand it allows you to keep certain aspects you like of your character, or get new Tames you otherwise couldn't, But as far as Pvp goes it also allows for Roaming alpha tribes and griefers. How do you all feel about it? 

I take it you didn't play the game in that period after they disabled transfers? 

I remember that era, you had one server, one giant tribe on it with 40 members and then everyone else. There was no way to do anything meaningful really against such numbers. The map was too small to hide a base. The only way these tribes fell was through insiding. Severs turned overnight into PVE zones. The smaller tribes never dared attack the big one and had no means of doing so even if they wanted to. It become quite stagnant, quite boring.

Today things are improved because of the transfer system. If your server becomes stagnant you can simply zip out to another server, build up and come back with a bang. 

Also this word you use "griefer", its really a silly word that means nothing. A griefer in ARK is a very successful PVP player who doesn't care for building communities, holding hands or picking flowers. He joins a server kills players, their bases and their tames and he enjoys it. Call him by the right word he is not a "griefer" he is a PVPer. 

I like the idea of a transfer system but not THIS transfer system due to various bugs and exploits. I know a number of people who have lost their characters and therefore everything they own because of the buggy transfer system and how support never actually does anything in time to save their animals and structures. I've never transferred my character because of the distinct risk of losing it and everything else just like many other people. So I'm stuck not being able to make use of most imprints or DLC specific engrams between servers. Especially the implemented/planned boss specific tek engrams.

Now if characters were attached to a more robust account system that'd be great. Instead of uploading a character you merely overwrote the current save of your character located in your cross-server account. Instead of downloading the only save of your character to one server the game would give you a selection of characters you have saved and ask you which character would be COPIED to that server from your cross-server account saves. The option of copying the character to the server would happen when you first entered the server rather then specifying its destination from a different server.

If the game lost the cross-server save of a character you could just bring that character to an obelisk, supply drop, transmitter and add it back to your account's transfer system profile. You'd lose some progress but it'd be better than losing ALL progress plus you wouldn't have to send in a ticket so it'd ease Customer Support congestion.

Imprints would also be made account wide since we can only have one character per server per account.

That'd make the transfer system vastly superior to what it is now because right now the transfer system is absolutely pathetic. One should not have to deal with the risk of losing everything each time they transfer especially when the people of Wilcard are adding in reasons, like map specific tek engrams, that require server hopping.

On 11/18/2017 at 3:41 AM, ForzaProiettile said:

Also this word you use "griefer", its really a silly word that means nothing. A griefer in ARK is a very successful PVP player who doesn't care for building communities, holding hands or picking flowers. He joins a server kills players, their bases and their tames and he enjoys it. Call him by the right word he is not a "griefer" he is a PVPer. 

When i say griefer, I am more referring to people who will join a server, and wipe people, only to leave and go somewhere else. In my mind that is not a "successful PvPer" because they don't stand to gain anything through it, besides a quick power trip. In my mind a griefer is more like a junkie than anything else. someone who only finds joy in the destruction of others, but can never sate their appetite for destruction. They attempt this at the benefit of no one. 

2 hours ago, t3mp0st said:

When i say griefer, I am more referring to people who will join a server, and wipe people, only to leave and go somewhere else. In my mind that is not a "successful PvPer" because they don't stand to gain anything through it, besides a quick power trip. In my mind a griefer is more like a junkie than anything else. someone who only finds joy in the destruction of others, but can never sate their appetite for destruction. They attempt this at the benefit of no one. 

What you are describing is a dedicated PVP player who engages in guerrilla tactics. These are some of the best players around. I am someone that engages in these kind of tactics and strategy. The aim is not to acquire loot but perform a hard reset on other tribes on the server. The idea is to make life hard for the tribes on the server thereby increasing the ferocity and frequency in which they will engage in PVP vs each other.

Archived