Love the game, but bugs and devs attitudes are ruining it.

Bugs5567

Don't jump to conclusions from the title, i love ark. I have a cumulative amount of around 1k hours on both xbox and pc combined and ive loved *almost* every bit of it.  But, the buggyness of it, and the attitude the devs have towards its playerbase and towards development of the game are going to hurt it. 

First off, its almost impossible to get the server browser to work correctly on consoles. If you're lucky you'll get into a game without it freezing up right now. Another bug, i cant count how many times my character has just plain disappeared. Along with items. There are just so many bugs that happen that arent a big deal alone, but when they continue to happen it starts to become an issue. There is no excuse as to why the games main menu, a core function of the game, should not be working. It should be the first focus of the devs to get running correctly.

Secondly, the devs. They continuously say they are listening to feedback, yet their actions show the opposite. Alongside with their constant delays for weeks and weeks without any real explanation why. An example would be ragnorak on consoles being delayed for over a month for no real reason (that we know of as players). And now, with the DLC that they had already had a release window for and suddenly they are delaying it "for some weeks" with no real explanation other than "its not ready". First off, if its not ready, dont set a release window. Do that after its ready, that way you have all your chickens lined up for release. 

And another something i'm not sure i'm alone on, the price raise, why did they feel the need to raise the price for no actual reason? They didnt add anything of significance to the game other than saying "its officially released now, so its worth more".

And yes, i'm gonna bring up an old topic, the flyer nerf. No one wanted this, no one asked for this, yet they did it. And when we said we didnt like it at all, they said they toned down the changes. But the changes they changed were so minimal you could'nt really tell a difference. This is yet another example of the devs attitude towards their players

Theres a list of complaints i could just rant on about this game. But i think y'all get the point.  

TL;DR : I love this game, but the devs need to work on their update/release structure big time if they are wanting to sustain their playerbase.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, Bugs5567 said:

No one wanted this, no one asked for this

Man you must not have been on the forums this time last year. All of the topics were "Pteras are OP", "Quetzals are OP!!!!", "Wyverns are OP!?!?!?!!!!!". There was a TON of posts of people complaining about how flyers were too fast (could outrun the tracking on auto-turrets) and how it didnt make sense that using an anky on a ramp quetz allowed you to carry infinite weight. Or that spaming the pteras barrel roll was way too powerful. Pteras were so fast, people would strap them with C4 and barrel roll suicide them into bases. In this instance WC actually listened to a lot of players and made a change that they thought would balance the game back out. It was a divisive issue and some players were going to be upset no matter what WC did. Im all for knocking WC over the head when they deserve it but this was a case of not being able to please everyone. 

Yes, the game is buggy, yes it needs work. Yes it's frustrating that they're releasing another DLC before adding/fixing important mechanics that have long been in the works. Delays suck and limited communication is extremely frustrating. You're not going to find a lot of people disagreeing with those points...so when you say such things on these forums, keep in mind you're really speaking to the choir. You don't need to try and speak for the community when you don't...the choir will notice. That said, your tone and civility is appreciated, especially among all of the hate and vitriol spinning around here lately.

Most games have bugs and questionable choices from the developers, but determining whether the bugs overshadow the fun (or vise versa) is exclusively a subjective matter. Some have faith in the developers, concept, and overall game, others do not. I can respect the opinion of someone who has lost or is losing faith in the game/developers...but it's important to note the difference between fact, opinion, and a lack of awareness of/apathy to an explanation. 

I should also note that you've indicated some of the problems you are talking about are experienced via console, and my Ark experiences on console can best be described as limited. I can't speak to the issues people are experiencing there.

55 minutes ago, Dustrider said:

Man you must not have been on the forums this time last year. All of the topics were "Pteras are OP", "Quetzals are OP!!!!", "Wyverns are OP!?!?!?!!!!!". There was a TON of posts of people complaining about how flyers were too fast (could outrun the tracking on auto-turrets) and how it didnt make sense that using an anky on a ramp quetz allowed you to carry infinite weight. Or that spaming the pteras barrel roll was way too powerful. Pteras were so fast, people would strap them with C4 and barrel roll suicide them into bases. In this instance WC actually listened to a lot of players and made a change that they thought would balance the game back out. It was a divisive issue and some players were going to be upset no matter what WC did. Im all for knocking WC over the head when they deserve it but this was a case of not being able to please everyone. 

This was a case of a nerf which was too heavy-handed. Period. All they had to do was disable picking of non-allied players, and nerf the damage of the flyers to be in line with other elements of pvp. They didn't have to turn the birds into a complete joke. Speed and stamina should not have been completely savaged. In addition, they should have left an option for private server owners to be able to keep the flyers as they were. Yes, I know we have the Classic Flyers mod and a couple others which attempt to fix the issue, but it is less-stable and reliable than it once was. ARK is already unstable and unreliable. PvP is often the reason for balance changes made, and while I understand that something had to be done to address the problem, they did not have to completely wreck the PvE flying experience alongside the PvP fix.

I found it interesting, that cross-server transfers on official servers... were un-touched alongside the flyer nerf. Alpha tribes moving in and wiping another server entirely in mere hours, is a much larger problem than the flyers ever were. However, apparently that is, "working as intended." In other words, if you aren't a part of a huge, powerful tribe, you do not matter to the developers - except as trivial content for those tribes to crush for amusement.

Disclaimer: I do not play on official servers. I play on my own private server. Official servers are not worth the time, due to the transfer problem.

19 minutes ago, MaximumCat said:

that cross-server transfers on official servers... were un-touched

I respect your opinion but I will have to disagree with you on this point. There are multiple things that have changed in regards to open server transfers. First, they implemented a 12 hr cool down for all dinos transferred on to a server, basically means that a cross server raider will have to guard his tames for that long before he can bring them back or risk them being killed if he doesnt have a place to store them. Second, people complained that it was too hard to strike back at cross server raiders so they made it so when you kill an enemies tame it will tell you which server it was transferred from and which server it was tamed/bred on. Third and most recently there is a transfer timer as part of their anti-duping system. Basically this means you have to wait at least 30 mins before you can upload any item into an obelisk. This severely slows down cross server raiding and trolling. It still happens, sure, but it takes a lot more time and energy to do so.    

The only real problem I see with this game, is them ever trying to release official servers. Minecraft, Terraria, 7 days to die, every survival game I've ever played there is no "official servers". Just your own. Set the way you want it. With the people you want.

All this complaining about what's wrong with the game, when you're free to play it how ever you want. On your own terms. Official is THIER idea of how it should be played. Bugs aside, but the rules, the timers, the nerfs, everything is because it's the way they see it should be. I don't understand what's wrong with that? Exploits and cheating are unfair yes. But every time they try to fix one issue, people complain about the solution.

"We payed for the game, put OUR hard earned money into it. They should do what we ask."

They have. They have given you everything to play the game however you want?

All official servers are, is thier idea of how they think it should be. Just like every unofficial server ran by someone is different. Some sure, may change the rules if everyone thinks another way will be better. But most of them I'm sure won't change every little detail, to suit, every little player, because everyone has a idea of what is "better" this way.

Official servers are a endless cycle of negativity. It will never be right. Because there will always be things people don't like. I don't understand how they've had the patience to keep them up this long without telling everyone to piss off.

Coming from a official pve player who doesn't like alot of things. But plays it, the way it is, because in all actuality.. it's still fun the way it is.

On 11/15/2017 at 2:24 PM, Bugs5567 said:

rabble rabble rabble, blah blah blah....

I have never seen a dev be a total jerk to a player, honestly. Snarky, perhaps, but never a jerk. This is often a matter of perspective though. I blame massive corporations for raising the bar for customer service reps to be forced into the "pleasantly respectful and the customer is always right" type of attitude. IMO, customers need to be put in their place and politely told they are being idiots from time to time, otherwise, a company ends up in an endlessly regressing feedback loop of inability to meet the constantly rising expectations of the greedy customers who know they can get away with asking for too much, and expecting and even DEMANDING that they deliver it punctually.

As far as bugs go, yeah, they suck, but you learn to deal with them and work around them in the meantime. Ark isn't your traditional kind of game, it was pretty much made from scratch, and therefor, the bugs will not get fixed in any traditional and swift manner.

I also would like to refute your statement about the devs not listening.... they certainly do. I could make a huge list of features that were added due to public outcry (basi, flamethrower, industrial grinder, just to name a few). I think perhaps they just aren't listening to YOU specifically...... though I couldn't imagine why not.... *sarcasm*

Trust me, you do not want game developers creativity to be stifled by release dates and expected launch windows. Most (if not, all) big titles suffer from this, relax, be patient, and let them get things right before they add/launch something new.

The price change should have been obvious. If they kept the price at $30 (standard steam price in USD), then what reward do the early backers/testers get for buying the game when it was in EA? The game is (imo) honestly worth the $60 price point for how content rich it is (even without the DLCs).

The flyer nerf was actually asked for largely by the PvP community, it needed to happen. As someone who has spent 90% of my ark time on pve, I also welcomed the flyer nerf. They were too useful/powerful, and too accessible.

I don't mean to seem as if I am picking on you, but your arguments are pretty bad. Perhaps this just isn't quite the game you thought it was, or you need to take a break from it.

9 minutes ago, Sh4rk said:

As far as bugs go, yeah, they suck, but you learn to deal with them and work around them in the meantime.

Heh, this reminds me another game I used to play back in 2011... Star Wars: The Old Republic. It's an awesome game overall but I remember at the time of release it was so horribly riddled with bugs. I used to say if they continue focusing on new content and ignore the bugs people will leave and I was told to shut up and deal with the bugs and that the devs were awesome and the game was fantastic and so on. Do you know how many people play that game now? They had about 100 servers at release and I think they host less than 10 now.

I just don't understand this white knight behavior that some people have. What does 'customer is always right' attitude have anything to do here? When did OP behave that way? What game isn't built from scratch?

28 minutes ago, Sh4rk said:

They were too useful/powerful

I see. Okay, please explain how slowing them down has stopped them from being 'too useful/powerful' in pve. Please give me one specific example.

5 minutes ago, Pic1 said:

I just don't understand this white knight behavior that some people have. What does 'customer is always right' attitude have anything to do here? When did OP behave that way? What game isn't built from scratch?

I see. Okay, please explain how slowing them down has stopped them from being 'too useful/powerful' in pve. Please give me one specific example.

Because gamers today just want and want, endlessly and recklessly. OP complains about devs not listening, but they do. OP complains about the price, which is selfish at best. I have no problem with "white-knighting" when someone irrationally criticizes something when they don't even have their facts straight. I'm not saying the Ark devs are the best devs ever..... by no means are they perfect, but the hate storm they get should really be applied to companies like EA who put out grossly re-used content just to meet a deadline. Gamers these days, will now hold the little guy to the same standard, when back in the day, you generally only found out about a game because it was sitting on a shelf, or saw a preview in a magazine...... and you'd be happy with what you got. Anyway, thats a topic of a different beast, and to address your other question....

PvE & the flyer nerf. Simple. Day one, you build a shack, tame a few dodos, get 1 medium crop plot up w/ rockarrot seed, and you are able to get one of the most powerful creatures in the game. Endless high damage barrel rolls to kill big stuff for primes, flying one end of the map to the other in under a minute (with stam to spare), should not be something that can be obtained in one or two nights of gameplay. Pteras should be for scouting and mobility, not an all around powerhouse that dwarfs the purpose of every other tame until maybe a rex or something of high utility like a quetz. Even after the nerf, pteras are still super powerful and useful, but in a much better place now.

The other issue with flyers in general, was how badly they killed the immersive charm the game offers with ground play. Using just about anything else was not really worth it, depending on where your base is located, and your farming routes. Some of the most immersive and fun experiences I had playing Ark, were on the ground riding an iguanodon or something, just exploring, gathering stuff along the way, and letting the true beauty of the world around you sink in.

3 minutes ago, Pic1 said:

I presume the original comment was regarding the flyer nerf.  I'll do my best to give you a straightforward answer. 

Pic1 flyers suffered the most from balancing decisions made early in ARKs development that didn't allow for proper scaling as more and more creatures were introduced to the game.  Eventually it became apparent that they had uses far beyond their intended role (primarily pure scout to light airborne hauler), and the end result was that they invalidated the need/role of a majority of the creatures in game... as well as rendered a great deal of the terrain features (that were supposed to provide challenges and force tactical decisions) moot.

In PVE the focus of the game was supposed to be pitting the player against nature, and your primary tools in that struggle were supposed to be the large variety of creatures at your disposal.  Instead, from a relatively early point in character development, flyers solved all of those issues.  Once you became airborne travel was no longer dangerous (as it was super quick and you didn't need to land often, thus exposing yourself to ambushes and unexpected dangers).  Rugged terrain was no longer any sort of obstacle, meaning you could easily obtain any resource from any point on the map... base location decisions were irrelevant.  Creatures with carefully designed special abilities were only occasionally tamed out of idle curiosity or for collections, not because they were critical to your survival and/or progressing through the various levels of the game.  In fact, in most cases the act of taming itself became a fairly trivial matter.

By capping speed and reducing stamina flyers became less of a dominant element in the game, other options became more viable in comparison.  And while flyers remained an important element in your progression they no longer allowed near instantaneous travel, and the need to land more frequently reintroduced an element of danger to the game that had been largely lacking.  Note the frequent threads describing successful Thyla attacks because of a necessary stop in the Redwoods, or forced dismounts (and sometimes mount/player deaths due to other creatures).  Previously those encounters would be few and far between.  Likewise carrying creatures back to a taming pen required you to take your airborne mounts stamina into serious consideration before attempting it.  Otherwise things could get very messy.

Now we see more and more people exploring and traveling on horseback or on a Thyla (among others), discovering interesting terrain features they never noticed before, rethinking how they gather and transport their resources, and choosing their base locations with much more care than before.  All of this at the cost of it taking a couple more minutes to cross the map by air, and making stamina a much more important stat to develop in your airborne mount to make it truly useful.

Obviously not everyone appreciates it taking 11 minutes to cross the entire Island on a Quetzal now, but that's not out of line for most game worlds (especially when hauling large amounts of materials)... personally I don't find that too high a price to pay for making players decisions matter more.

Please don't take this as being dismissive of your point of view, it's just an honest answer to an honest question.

4 minutes ago, Sh4rk said:

OP complains about devs not listening, but they do

Here's the problem. When he said that I'm sure he meant they are always responsive on the forums and twitter but their actions tell a different story. Remember how they said they would keep legacy servers? Remember how they keep changing the release date for the new expansion? Now I am not personally bashing them either, because it's their company and their decisions and I respect them. But there is no reason for jumping at someone's throat just for opening their mouth in frustration. Oh, and back in my day people used to go out enjoy the nature instead of sitting in front of a computer! See how I can also be that guy? People's expectations vary with time, it's only natural.

"Petra was one of the most powerful creature in the game"... did you really just say that or are you arguing for the sake of argument? Why would anyone bother barrel rolling a hundred times for primes when they can easily tame a rex? And no, pteras' weight still sucked back then so argents and other birds were as useful as they are now. And let me get this straight. You're saying flying from one end of the map to the other in one go is somehow, in some way, overpowered compared to the 45 halts that we have to make now? What you mean is making us spend 20 minutes longer in air has made the pteras balanced. Okay... And no, I have never seen anybody explore the map on an iguanadon when they have an option to fly. Some might even say one enjoys the landscape more when one is flying in the sky looking down.

21 minutes ago, Sh4rk said:

Some of the most immersive and fun experiences I had playing Ark, were on the ground riding an iguanodon or something, just exploring, gathering stuff along the way, and letting the true beauty of the world around you sink in.

This is especially true in Ragnarok.  You can fly over it as much as you like (likely being impressed with it's detail and design) but once you travel on the ground you realize you can only see a fraction of it from the air.

3 minutes ago, Pic1 said:

Here's the problem. When he said that I'm sure he meant they are always responsive on the forums and twitter but their actions tell a different story. Remember how they said they would keep legacy servers? Remember how they keep changing the release date for the new expansion? Now I am not personally bashing them either, because it's their company and their decisions and I respect them. But there is no reason for jumping at someone's throat just for opening their mouth in frustration. Oh, and back in my day people used to go out enjoy the nature instead of sitting in front of a computer! See how I can also be that guy? People's expectations vary with time, it's only natural.

"Petra was one of the most powerful creature in the game"... did you really just say that or are you arguing for the sake of argument? Why would anyone bother barrel rolling a hundred times for primes when they can easily tame a rex? And no, pteras' weight still sucked back then so argents and other birds were as useful as they are now. And let me get this straight. You're saying flying from one end of the map to the other in one go is somehow, in some way, overpowered compared to the 45 halts that we have to make now? What you mean is making us spend 20 minutes longer in air has made the pteras balanced. Okay... And no, I have never seen anybody explore the map on an iguanadon when they have an option to fly. Some might even say one enjoys the landscape more when one is flying in the sky looking down.

Actually the Ptera and the Quetzal were the two "go to" creatures for most players, followed closely by a Rex.  There was very little you couldn't do with those two mounts at your disposal.  Even now they are still very near the top of the list.

And just to keep it real, with proper training an airborne mount can still make it across the map in one go (albeit slower now).  Even so, the slowest flyer in game (Quetzal) makes the trip from the volcano on the island to any point on the coast in 5 1/2 minutes.  I know, I know, it seems longer... but in reality it's not.

4 minutes ago, Ranger1 said:

Now we see more and more people exploring and traveling on horseback or on a Thyla (among others)

I don't understand. Are we playing the same game? I see everyone around me still choosing pteras or (at higher levels) wyverns for exploring and scouting. All of those points that you said will only come to realization in a map like aberration or if WC chooses to remove fliers altogether. May be people do use land mounts more now, although I haven't noticed that change.

And no I wouldn't mind even if you were dismissive. I enjoy spirited debates and discussions as long as things don't get personal.

12 minutes ago, Pic1 said:

I don't understand. Are we playing the same game? I see everyone around me still choosing pteras or (at higher levels) wyverns for exploring and scouting. All of those points that you said will only come to realization in a map like aberration or if WC chooses to remove fliers altogether. May be people do use land mounts more now, although I haven't noticed that change.

And no I wouldn't mind even if you were dismissive. I enjoy spirited debates and discussions as long as things don't get personal.

I think it likely depends a lot on the type of population you have on your server, and the map.  To be honest on the Island I haven't seen as much of a shift, I think in large part it's because the island isn't as detailed as some of the other maps available now.  Not as much thought went into what areas are difficult to travel through and which areas provide easier natural access routes.  My personal feeling it that the Island relies too much on thick, nearly impenetrable jungle... which also severely limits your visibility on the ground.  Where as a map like Ragnarok is designed to lead you from one interesting area to the next, constantly stumbling across unexpected and unique vistas (many of which aren't really noticeable from the air).

Heh, I hope that doesn't irritate the folks that put all that effort into the island map... but that's my honest opinion.

Edit:  If I think about it, I really do hate those darned palm trees that seem to cover the majority of the island.  Almost everything gets hung up on them, and it only really succeeds in making ground travel far more of a pain than it needs to be.

2 minutes ago, Ranger1 said:

Heh, I hope that doesn't irritate the folks that put all that effort into the island map

Nah, no matter how many maps they come up with, island will always have a special place in my heart. I understand that you need a bigger dino the further you go inland, but you can pretty much run from one end to the other with no dinos if you stick to the coast (except the east swamp lol). Ragnarok is visually stunning and much more awesome to be in, but they messed up the coast. Sabers, argents and even rexes spawn in the 'recommended' areas where noobs spawn. Not to mention the snow areas too cold and incredibly hostile for exploring on foot. And of course, you need a galli or something with most points spent in speed to check the scar area out unless you're flying. And I was actually disappointed you din't feel 'hotter' when you were in the desert area. I mean, I'm not saying it has to mimic SE desert... OK may be I do :(

On 11/15/2017 at 7:24 PM, Bugs5567 said:

And now, with the DLC that they had already had a release window for and suddenly they are delaying it "for some weeks" with no real explanation other than "its not ready". First off, if its not ready, dont set a release window. Do that after its ready, that way you have all your chickens lined up for release. 

And another something i'm not sure i'm alone on, the price raise, why did they feel the need to raise the price for no actual reason? They didnt add anything of significance to the game other than saying "its officially released now, so its worth more".

I agree in the main with the first point, in relation to dates. I really wish the studio would learn from it's mistakes with specifying dates and just ... stop. I accept they may (or may not, who knows!) be under some pressure from executives or investors to do so, but they've missed so many dates it's beyond embarrassing. I'd be ashamed if I was Steiglitz or Rapczak, or any of the other executives. I don't really care that Aberration is delayed because I'm only really waiting on Play Anywhere (delayed for over a year now) so my friends an I can play on a private server - we have maps we haven't even played together yet, never mind adding another DLC into the mix - but I can appreciate that a large portion of the player base has been excited to play it since the announcement and trailers.

The second point, I mean... what did you expect to happen when it left Early Access?!

3 hours ago, TranqRex said:

I don't really care that Aberration is delayed because I'm only really waiting on Play Anywhere (delayed for over a year now) so my friends an I can play on a private server

I was really excited for this feature as well but the more I think about it the more nervous it makes me. The PC version of ark has constant problems with hacking/cheating/aimbots etc. Xbox has none of these issues currently but with play anywhere it may be a problem suddenly. Hopefully the anticheat system they are working on is very good...

41 minutes ago, Dustrider said:

I was really excited for this feature as well but the more I think about it the more nervous it makes me. The PC version of ark has constant problems with hacking/cheating/aimbots etc. Xbox has none of these issues currently but with play anywhere it may be a problem suddenly. Hopefully the anticheat system they are working on is very good...

The Windows 10 version is within the 'walled garden' of the Windows Store (it's basically the Xbox version, which is of course itself just a custom Windows 10 machine). Microsoft have historically been extremely heavy handed on cheating - for example, people who've been caught have had their entire digital account deleted which could encompass a wide range of things across the MS platforms.

Other than that, they're still trying to get BattlEye working on it whilst it seems Microsoft themselves are implementing the True Play system - seems @Jatheish gave a bit of an update on reddit about it when he was asked a direct question ('borrowed' this info from the other Cross Play thread).

The flyer nerf was well and truly needed.  If you can't see that then you play in some kind of bubble with walls that echo opinions.  It's one of the few things the devs have done balance wise that has had an overwhelming positive effect on the game. The other one was nerfing clubs. The next one will be limiting tribe numbers to figures much lower then 70..

7 hours ago, Ranger1 said:

And just to keep it real, with proper training an airborne mount can still make it across the map in one go (albeit slower now).  Even so, the slowest flyer in game (Quetzal) makes the trip from the volcano on the island to any point on the coast in 5 1/2 minutes.  I know, I know, it seems longer... but in reality it's not.

You know what? People couldn't care less about longer flight if there was toggle walk/fly button, which Wildcard did not feel like or forgot to implement. 

It's annoying to be forced to hold one button for 2-5 minutes to fly from one side of map to another. (No, 10 sec breaks to regain stamina has little to none influence on this problem) 

5 minutes ago, Lewiatan said:

You know what? People couldn't care less about longer flight if there was toggle walk/fly button, which Wildcard did not feel like or forgot to implement. 

It's annoying to be forced to hold one button for 2-5 minutes to fly from one side of map to another. (No, 10 sec breaks to regain stamina has little to none influence on this problem) 

You tried to taking a Bronto up to mine metal? Trust me you'll think the Quetz was a Ferrari with extremely good handling.

I agree with some points, disagree with others, but it is nice to see a thought out opinion on ark. 

The one one thing I really noticed recently in regards to the attitudes of the devs was during the charity stream when they had their interview with Kayd Hendricks. In the interview he came off quite egotistical. The part that really bothered me was when he was discussing the flyer nerf (which he claimed was all his idea) was when he said, (and I am paraphrasing here) If you don't like it, there are mods for that. Well sorry Kayd, but not everyone that plays Ark does so on a pc. On console there is no mod for that. We are stuck with your poor decisions. We can't add the mods that take ark back to its glory. In regards to the people that have said the ptero was op. I will give you that it was op in pvp, but the things that made it op in pvp were inconsequential in pve. To fix it for pvp, all they had to do was remove the ability to pick and remove the barrel roll. As for the quetz, most people talk about the travel times on the island, but the island isn't the only map out there. It made travel on the center and ragnarok with a quetz an overly tedious task. It didn't add any more danger to flying a quetz, just a time sink. 

25 minutes ago, ForzaProiettile said:

You tried to taking a Bronto up to mine metal? Trust me you'll think the Quetz was a Ferrari with extremely good handling.

I'm not insane enough to attempt using bronto for mining metal. 

Regardless what WC said regarding flyer nerf, it did not make land creatures more appealing to use. 

17 minutes ago, KingGalahad said:

I agree with some points, disagree with others, but it is nice to see a thought out opinion on ark. 

The one one thing I really noticed recently in regards to the attitudes of the devs was during the charity stream when they had their interview with Kayd Hendricks. In the interview he came off quite egotistical. The part that really bothered me was when he was discussing the flyer nerf (which he claimed was all his idea) was when he said, (and I am paraphrasing here) If you don't like it, there are mods for that. Well sorry Kayd, but not everyone that plays Ark does so on a pc. On console there is no mod for that. We are stuck with your poor decisions. We can't add the mods that take ark back to its glory. In regards to the people that have said the ptero was op. I will give you that it was op in pvp, but the things that made it op in pvp were inconsequential in pve. To fix it for pvp, all they had to do was remove the ability to pick and remove the barrel roll. As for the quetz, most people talk about the travel times on the island, but the island isn't the only map out there. It made travel on the center and ragnarok with a quetz an overly tedious task. It didn't add any more danger to flying a quetz, just a time sink. 

Heya Galahad, well, we've already gone over in detail the issues flyers caused on PVE.  Yes, they were more subtle things in PVE (like disrupting/invalidating certain aspects of the games design), as opposed to very hard to miss things in PVP (breaking some of the game mechanics directly... but those issues were definitely there and they were an unacceptable problem in PVE game play.

Those issues have been pointed out countless times on this forum, including in this very thread, and yet somehow the false myth persists that the flyer nerf was needed by PVP but was imposed on PVE as well for no good reason.  That's simply not the case.

I agree with your assessment that Quetz travel time can become more of an issue on maps other than the island, however with the caveat that if that is the case it is due to the player apparently having NO idea how to choose a base location.  Resources are richly distributed all over both of those maps, so there should be little to no need for excessively long flights.

Archived