water Good Water Base Locations

TheMetalMan

I've been playing on local on The Island for a while now and my current mountain camp is getting a bit cramped so I am considering expanding.

Seeing as I only have a starter base by the west side of the island I am I am considering going for a water base for water tames.

Now I haven't really done water bases before, and neither do I have a lot of water tames.

So if you have any advice for location or building advice I'd appreciate that. It only needs lots of storage space for dinos, big and small alike. I'd like to be able to park both Mosasaurus and a giga in the same place. I already use my mountain for metal runs so it doesn't have to be close to resources.

Currently I'm considering setting up shop in 25,7-73,6 or 68,5-80,7(pictured below)

I'd rather not set up base on Safe Haven as it's an island and I'd like to be able to come and go as I please with land dinos.

But yeah, what are your suggestions?

Base2.jpg

19 minutes ago, TheMetalMan said:

I've been playing on local on The Island for a while now and my current mountain camp is getting a bit cramped so I am considering expanding.

Seeing as I only have a starter base by the west side of the island I am I am considering going for a water base for water tames.

Now I haven't really done water bases before, and neither do I have a lot of water tames.

So if you have any advice for location or building advice I'd appreciate that. It only needs lots of storage space for dinos, big and small alike. I'd like to be able to park both Mosasaurus and a giga in the same place. I already use my mountain for metal runs so it doesn't have to be close to resources.

Currently I'm considering setting up shop in 25,7-73,6 or 68,5-80,7(pictured below)

I'd rather not set up base on Safe Haven as it's an island and I'd like to be able to come and go as I please with land dinos.

But yeah, what are your suggestions?

Base2.jpg

This is where we had our main base on legacy PvE. Draco Cove. You can build far back too all the way to the gully. You have a lot of alpha spawns and a titan spawn right there and Theri's are all over too so you need to put safeguards in place for that. There are two loot drops, one in the water so awesome for water transfers except you can't get a squid out of there by swimming. Everything else can get in no problem. You'll have to build further past the shallow area if you want to house a Squid. If I find any old pictures of the base on my PS tonight I'll upload some of them tomorrow. 

On the Island I always use a pearl cave.  There's 12 around the map, so chances are there's one just a little bit out from your main base.  Most small water tames like anglers and dolphins can easily fit inside the cave.  For bigger tames like mosas and squids I'd build a 5 or 6 behemoth gate wall outside the cave under the water and then use pillars and sky bridging to seal off the top.  From inside the cave, since there's air, you can build a genny and run wires all the way out under the water, allowing you to put turrets up on the top of your sea pen.

I'd keep all the gear I'd need to go under the water in the cave and fast travel when I wanted to use my sea tames.  Alternatively, I'd just run out there on my baryonix specced for weight and speed to haul up gear and oil.

You can reach the pearl caves with no scuba and 100 oxygen on a freshly tamed frog so long as you know where you're going.

17 hours ago, yekrucifixion187 said:

This is where we had our main base on legacy PvE. Draco Cove. You can build far back too all the way to the gully. You have a lot of alpha spawns and a titan spawn right there and Theri's are all over too so you need to put safeguards in place for that. There are two loot drops, one in the water so awesome for water transfers except you can't get a squid out of there by swimming. Everything else can get in no problem. You'll have to build further past the shallow area if you want to house a Squid. If I find any old pictures of the base on my PS tonight I'll upload some of them tomorrow. 

Some pictures would be appropriate, since I am not 100% sure on how to to build so some reference would be helpful.

16 hours ago, Brayn said:

On the Island I always use a pearl cave.  There's 12 around the map, so chances are there's one just a little bit out from your main base.  Most small water tames like anglers and dolphins can easily fit inside the cave.  For bigger tames like mosas and squids I'd build a 5 or 6 behemoth gate wall outside the cave under the water and then use pillars and sky bridging to seal off the top.  From inside the cave, since there's air, you can build a genny and run wires all the way out under the water, allowing you to put turrets up on the top of your sea pen.

I'd keep all the gear I'd need to go under the water in the cave and fast travel when I wanted to use my sea tames.  Alternatively, I'd just run out there on my baryonix specced for weight and speed to haul up gear and oil.

You can reach the pearl caves with no scuba and 100 oxygen on a freshly tamed frog so long as you know where you're going.

You're actually right. There is a a pearl cave right outside my starting base. I didn't know there more of them.

However I plan to establish a base by the shore to store water and land dino's alike, so a completely underwater one might not be what I need. Besides, right now I hardly have any water tames to put in it. Useful advice tho.

• 2 months later...
On 11/15/2017 at 9:39 PM, yekrucifixion187 said:

I've mostly finished the base at the cove but now that I've tamed a Mosasaur, but you didn't mention that Mosas can't get into the Cove.

I know you mentioned the Squid, but not the Mosa. I am not blaming you for my shortcoming on this but I wish I would have known that before...

20180129203237_1.jpg

22 minutes ago, TheMetalMan said:

I've mostly finished the base at the cove but now that I've tamed a Mosasaur, but you didn't mention that Mosas can't get into the Cove.

I know you mentioned the Squid, but not the Mosa. I am not blaming you for my shortcoming on this but I wish I would have known that before...

20180129203237_1.jpg

If your still looking for suggestions for a water base for water dinos, I highly recommended herbivore island. It doesnt take as much effort to enclose the bay ad enclosing other areas would as the bay does most of the hard work for you, just need to close the gaps. Mosas can fit into the bay which is great. I guess the downside is it, isnt in the mainland.

20180129203237_1.thumb.jpg.e63e1f9c826f9cc52a206b2a92f780ff.jpg
Yep. Didn't have a mosa. Used a Basil cause of eels and jelly fish.

Archived