Is my specs for a Dedicated server are overkill?

Gorymaster

I want to build a Mini ITX computer to run a dedicated server! (MAX: 10 peoples) and maybe running 2 maps at the same times.

My build is :

• ASUS ROG STRIX H270I GAMING LGA 1151
  • Intel Core i7-7700 Kaby Lake Quad-Core 3.6 GHz LGA 1151
  • SAMSUNG 850 EVO 2.5" 500GB (SSD)
  • G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400
  • Seagate 1TB Expansion Portable External Hard Drive USB 3.0 (For BackUp)

If the build is too much overkill, can you guys tell me what i should change!

Thx in advance! (PS: My internet won't be a problem for running a server on my own.)

• Volunteer Moderator
5 minutes ago, Gorymaster said:

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400

you will want more RAM if attempting to run more than one map -- my dedi running an Official save sits around 11gb (total usage, including OS -- nothing else running). i would want 8gb per map. everything else should run just fine. 

• Volunteer Moderator
5 minutes ago, Gorymaster said:

The CPU is not too much? Cause ive read some ppl running ark server with an i3 and i5! Im more wondering about the CPU i should pick! I can pick AMD or Intel CPU i dont care!

For CPU, the only thing that matters is the clock speed not the number of cores/hyperthreading.

So buy the fastest CPU you can.

Actually your RAM is OK. Each map uses roughly 4GB of RAM. Ragnarok does use a tad more. Each player uses around 200MB of memory. For a single map you could very easily run a good server. My server is older and runs three maps with 64 player limits without a hitch. In fact, after starting Island, Center, and SE it uses 8.8GB of RAM including the OS usage. That would leave you 7.2GB for players.

On 15.11.2017 at 6:23 PM, Gorymaster said:

I want to build a Mini ITX computer to run a dedicated server! (MAX: 10 peoples) and maybe running 2 maps at the same times.

My build is :

• ASUS ROG STRIX H270I GAMING LGA 1151
  • Intel Core i7-7700 Kaby Lake Quad-Core 3.6 GHz LGA 1151
  • SAMSUNG 850 EVO 2.5" 500GB (SSD)
  • G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400
  • Seagate 1TB Expansion Portable External Hard Drive USB 3.0 (For BackUp)

If the build is too much overkill, can you guys tell me what i should change!

Thx in advance! (PS: My internet won't be a problem for running a server on my own.)

Its perfect to run 3 maps for 10 players. 

Add additional 16GB Memory if you wanna use many mods (Mods are eating RAM).

I am running 4 maps with 32GB system ram. 1 of the maps is a legacy server, and it consumes a lot of system ram. The other legacy server I put up tonight doesn't chew as much, because it's SE. I have no mods atm. However I do wonder now what the castle mod will add to the total usage. I should be able to expand out to 64GB soon. Should I put more haste on getting more?

The CPU is fine imo for what you want to do. That's quite a bit of horsepower there. Of course you can open servers on 16, however if they are legacy servers with lots of content on them, yeah, 16 might not quite do it.

On 15/11/2017 at 1:34 PM, Joebl0w13 said:

For CPU, the only thing that matters is the clock speed not the number of cores/hyperthreading.

So buy the fastest CPU you can.

I have read that a single server use 2 cores! I have a CPU that i dont use (i3 6100 3.7ghz) the clock speed is high but if i want to run more then one server i would need a i5 or i7 that have more cores?! Is it true or not?!

On 11/21/2017 at 10:34 AM, Gorymaster said:

I have read that a single server use 2 cores! I have a CPU that i dont use (i3 6100 3.7ghz) the clock speed is high but if i want to run more then one server i would need a i5 or i7 that have more cores?! Is it true or not?!

Yeah but you can get away with a single core with hyperthreading. The reality is, the server will use 1 thread as the primary world, and then another thread as player processing. The reason we don't prefer that method is, they are not at the same time, and if one asks for too much CPU time, it puts the other one off, causing server lag.

But here is the thing, if you have enough cores. You can dedicate a physical server core to handle the players of several other servers. Or you can just let windows handle it. Windows is pretty good at handling loads. But yeah, the rule of thumb that people are circulating is, 2 physical cores for each server. However,  you can cheat and get away with it. What you cannot necessarily cheat and get away with is, RAM.

Best I can do to cheat and get away with when it comes to RAM is, using 2 Samsung 960 Pro NVMe cards on the PCI-E, and 2 Samsung 960 Pro NVMe cards on M.2, and RAID them to get about 12 gigs of read, and 7 gigs of write, and use the resultant fast drive as virtual memory. Only possible on Threadripper tho. Lol

Archived