TheLegendaryArkaius

I saw it on Steam when it first was pre-released and was curious, but not quite enough to get it. Pre-releases can be frustrating.

A month later my roommate got it, and of course I had to. 

Honestly, I almost quit after the first 30 minutes or so. 

Performance was bad, I logged into the dark, and I just died, 'n died, 'n died. Never played a game where the servers were persistent while I was off-line and we had sooo much trouble just finding each other on the map. 

So we went local, I spent about 200 hours there before using console commands to give me all kinds of building stuff just to try out ideas that had been rolling around in my head. 

Then we went on-line and 1800 hours later I can easily say this is my favorite game; no other game has held me for this long and I don't see myself being done any time soon. 

Why? 

Freedom. 

I can do whatever I want, just go out with a Rex, fly around on any one of my many Pterries, take a raft up a river with an Anky, a Doed, and a Mammoth, build something for a while, shoot my tribe-mates with tranq darts, adventure into a cave, summon a brood-mother, it goes on and on ... 

Looks.

No other game has offered (me) what Ark has, and especially none that have looked so good. It's immersive, I feel like I'm there, on this island.  Minecraft's graphics are the main reason I never picked it up, but I've always loved the idea and here is Ark saying "hey, we can do a lot of that and make it look pretty ... and here are some dinos while we're at it!" 

Community.

Once you're on-line for a while (apposed to a local or custom private server) - Ark really offers an interesting look into how people are, both in and outside of your tribe. You meet hard workers and freeloaders, run into raiders and care-bears, witness deceit and drama on both sides, have tribe members you appreciate but realize if they weren't on your side you would probably hate them ... and in the end, you play how you want to play. I choose to play it how I would live it in that situation, I'm a bit (probably an understatement) of a care-bear BUT that doesn't mean I won't protect me and mine with gunfire and explosives, I just don't go out looking for or causing it. 

Building.

The fracking building. Yeah it's got its quirks; I've lost plenty of walls and ceilings to lag and awkward slipping of my mouse, but there's so much there to work with. So many options, learning from mistakes, having random ideas and making them happen, making your base defensible yet efficient for collecting and storing and keeping animals.

There's incredible depth to this game, it's kind of ridiculous. 

Freedom ingame.. Also this game is tied to me.. Jk... For some reason ark was made on my birthday and I bought it on my b-day.. So i tried it out.. Couldn't play it.. Too laggy.. Came back 2 months later and i could play but on lowest settings. I tried playing it and It was amazing.. So really.. I first player ark because it was on my birthday and I wanted to buy something off of steam xD. I grew to love the game alot.

Archived