what is a most useless item in ark

OttoGrunf

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All greenhouse glass except the ceilings.  Only ceilings give bonus to crops the other pieces do nothing and are just weak,  I use metal foundations,  walls and glass ceilings for my pvp greenhouse.

Tek cloning chamber,  costs tons of element for the same result as hatching an egg.

Refertilizer,  doesn't even grow stuff back like it says it does.

Primitive fur.  Full set and I'm still freezing, and it weighs a ton,  save the engrams and find a bp,  I'm sure one apprentice piece is better than a full set of prim.

Desert cloth.  Why am I gonna wear this when it's weaker than hide and doesn't even keep me cool,  plus it needs to be made in a smithy,  really?  Kill a mantis and make ghilie,  you can craft and repair in your inventory,  it's cheaper,  stronger and actually stops you getting sun stroke.

Lamppost,  why unlock this when the omnidirectional lamppost lights more and you can place it anywhere 

Radios.  We have party chat it's 2017.

Compass. Use the obbs for directions,  

GPS.  Who cares what the cords are?  There is nothing to take your tribe mate there anyway so telling him 23,5 34,3 is pointless as you will end up giving directions by landmarks anyway ie. Just past hidden lake next too a bronto. 

Tent. Like anyone used these after the first three days of scorched release. 

Mirror.  Don't even work

Staircase.  Gets you stuck on it,  takes loads of room and less efficient than a ramp.

Catapult and batista.  So weak it's unreal,  not cost effective one bit,  does like 200 damage to a stone behemoth gate,  2 shots to destroy a plant x,  and incredibly hard to aim. Plus they are stationary and have to be placed on a foundation or Dino and cant be picked up. 

Adobe structures.  Would rather burn than build out of that weak crap. Plus annoying to make with the clay.plus if you build a big building like you need on scorched for paracers, dragons and golems,  the game doesn't give you the house bonus for Adobe anyway it just counts you as being outside so you may as well build metal.

47 minutes ago, SmokeyB said:

All greenhouse glass except the ceilings.  Only ceilings give bonus to crops the other pieces do nothing and are just weak,  I use metal foundations,  walls and glass ceilings for my pvp greenhouse.

Tek cloning chamber,  costs tons of element for the same result as hatching an egg.

Primitive fur.  Full set and I'm still freezing, and it weighs a ton,  save the engrams and find a bp,  I'm sure one apprentice piece is better than a full set of prim.

Desert cloth.  Why am I gonna wear this when it's weaker than hide and doesn't even keep me cool,  plus it needs to be made in a smithy,  really?  Kill a mantis and make ghilie,  you can craft and repair in your inventory,  it's cheaper,  stronger and actually stops you getting sun stroke.

Lamppost,  why unlock this when the omnidirectional lamppost lights more and you can place it anywhere 

GPS.  Who cares what the cords are?  There is nothing to take your tribe mate there anyway so telling him 23,5 34,3 is pointless as you will end up giving directions by landmarks anyway ie. Just past hidden lake next too a bronto. 

Mirror.  Don't even work

Staircase.  Gets you stuck on it,  takes loads of room and less efficient than a ramp.

Catapult and batista.  So weak it's unreal,  not cost effective one bit,  does like 200 damage to a stone behemoth gate,  2 shots to destroy a plant x,  and incredibly hard to aim. Plus they are stationary and have to be placed on a foundation or Dino and cant be picked up. 

Adobe structures.  Would rather burn than build out of that weak crap. Plus annoying to make with the clay.plus if you build a big building like you need on scorched for paracers, dragons and golems,  the game doesn't give you the house bonus for Adobe anyway it just counts you as being outside so you may as well build metal.

Lamppost has a specific purpose.  It lights ONLY the spot it is facing.  Omni radiates light 360 degrees.  Put a few lamps on the front of a quetz to help you see at night in the woods or on your base to provide light only to where it is needed, like choke points.

GPS - VERY useful (almost necessary) for finding deep sea loot crates and artifact cave entrances.

Tent - VERY useful (almost necessary) for raiding a base located in extreme cold or hot.  Can also use during a heat wave or sandstorm in a pinch.

Catapult - Most underrated turret in the game.  Outranges auto turrets by a LOT and its boulders can be lobbed up and over beh gates.  The boulders are also stupid cheap.  Aiming is tough unless you have a spotter, but with a good spotter you can be pretty accurate.  What to kill with them?  Plant Species X.  1 boulder shot to a plant kills it.

Ballista - pretty useless IMO.  The damage is stupid low for the cost of the bolts.  However, in some situations the Ballista can be OP.  I can demo a whole base with just 1 ballista bolt so long as I have a tribe member waiting at the target to pick it up and bring it back.

Adobe - Necessary on scorched.  Anything taller than 2 walls though and you get home bonus issues like you note.  However, building out of metal on scorched = almost instant death.  The trick?  Build your main areas with 2 high wall compartments.  On the outside, build a thatch ceiling out away from your base.  Off that ceiling's snap points you can snap metal walls OUTSIDE your adobe walls.  The end result is a metal building that fully encloses your adobe building.  For large dino pens, the home bonus issue is to your benefit.  You can build a 10x10 metal box that provides no home bonus, which means metal structures won't hurt you.  Adobe gates are also stupid cheap to make.  Horses get reduced weight to sand (I think), but I've never had an issue mass producing clay using a weight golem and a chem bench.

2 hours ago, SmokeyB said:

Tent. Like anyone used these after the first three days of scorched release

The only 3 I disagree with here. 

I love desert cloth because despite its weakness the fact that when I am running around in the sun I don't have to drink every 3 minutes is very helpful. I can run around (not scorched0 and don't even need a canteen because I know it'll rain before my water drains at 100%. if you find color BP's of these, you're pretty well set and it's a cheaper cost as silk is much easier to gather in bulk over organic poly. Your reason's for ghillie make sense (especially crafting in dino's inventory) but lack of water drain wins out for me. 

I use coords constantly because people even in Ark are homebodies. Personally I like to explore but with terrible lag and the threat of DC and BS a lot of people stay within a confined area so without coords they'd never find you for trades and what not. 

I love the tent. I am constantly out taming so having the ability to throw this down when a sandstorm or lightning storm whips up is big time for me. I'd never craft one though as they are in every other drop. 

Probably all those items that do something you can do a better way anyway.

Like DarthaNyan mentioned, Flashlight is awesome.  Except, you can just turn up the gamma, so why use it?
The ability to take screenshots with a camera and then paint them on to a canvas would be amazing, except you don't need the in-game camera to do this.
The recipes for making consumables seem like they would be really useful.  Except you can just look up the recipe on the wiki.  And, you probably will even if you use the recipes, since the in-game recipes use 'dollop' instead of just saying how many you need, and so you need to figure out how to decipher them.
The walkie-talkie is probably the most obvious example. 

I actually used this in my very first tribe... Before discord became so popular. Was kinda fun though as you could give allies your channel and chat when needed. But with all the free voice chats it's pretty useless unless RPing.

8 hours ago, SmokeyB said:

Mirror.  Don't even work

Wow you and I have very different opinions on the definition of useless. 

Tek cloning chamber is amazing if you know how to manipulate it. Breed sleeper gigas to get high melee giga you can clone for relatively low element, less then half the time to raise normally, and zero effort. Hatch/tame mid level Wyverns/Elementals/Griffins to look for the rare one that has exceptional stats then replicate it for a low element cost. 

Refertilizer is cheap for reconcealing small bases. Also a cheaper alternative to vault dropping trolls if you know how to do it.

Primitive fur is essential for starting out in the snow. Not flawless but needed to not die quickly all the time and works very well with a little fortitude. BPs are obviously prefferred but until you get on your feet it is a must.

Desert cloth can be repaired with stockpiled resources as well as having good hydration bonuses and the goggles provide a decent boost to visibility in sandstorms

GPS is valuable for describing positions/locations exactly to large amounts of people who don't use the same local lingo you/your tribe use.

Tent has niche use but is far from useless

Catapult is amazing for tearing down stone parts of bases/species x from out of turret range for very little cost. Likewise for the ballista with the added functionality of chain bolas. Fought a skilled Quetz crew of 1 flyer 1 minigun, 1 chain bola ballista. Let's say it didn't end well for me on the wyvern lol.

Adobe. Seriously, have you ever played scorched? Stone and especially metal are basically instant death. Sure it is weak but that's why you double layer it as the interior on a metal structure.

12 minutes ago, Olivar said:

Needed for cooking? Till you can afford the better stuff at least 

No it's not needed for anything and really just waists time... It frigging leaks, Go Get Crystal, done.

Prior to that you're starting out, so likely near a water source... Drink, tame flyer, get Crystal.

14 hours ago, SmokeyB said:

Mirror.  Don't even work

Totally agree with everything except the GPS. You'd be surprised at how many people can't follow simple directions.

Archived