Stealthchange: Dinos can no longer be claimed when timer runs out

Fistfeet

Apparently, Wildcard recently changed it so you can no longer claim other tribes' dinos that expire.  The patch notes mention a 'fix' for auto-decay, so I guess that dinos being claimable was just a bug this whole time? xD

See this thread for more info and a quote from Eli about it:

Dinos automatically decay after the old "claim timer" goes up when they are in stasis, and are now unclaimable if it ends with the creature not in stasis, but are deleted upon server restart.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dinos becoming claimable after decay timer runs out may have been an intended mechanic but it didnt do well for the base reason why decay mechanic was introduced to begin with.

It being removed is something worth celebrating: could potentially help with dino-capped servers over time and now players have to work for their dinos instead of mass claiming other's for free.

It only took WC 2 years (dino decay mechanic was introduced in version 206, September 2015) to listen to community's complain about it.

41 minutes ago, DarthaNyan said:

SGYTEXQ.png

This has been in patch notes since yesterday.

pretty crappy since they are slow for tickets and i know of at least one instance i personally helped a guy get his dinos back ONLY bc they became claimable and we were waiting. i swear this POS company is doing it's best to try to force ppl onto dedis and save themselves a bunch of money bc they are screwing official over everyday. just like no longer being able to upload dinos to a capped server. sounds good in theory except ppl from rag NEED to come to island to do ascension so at some point they will need to transfer dinos there and everything capped so they wont be able to and wont be able to raise dinos there either.

• Wildcard Community
40 minutes ago, shadowkyuubi said:

Supposedly they were always supposed to Decay and never be claimable from what I've heard, this was them fixing that problem

I for one can live with this because it might help the dino cap issue in the long run

Not true. At the early days of ARK, one concern from pve players that was forwarded to us was that people that would join the server then for one reason or another cease to play would end up leaving their dinos behind, leading to inactive creatures taking up space in terms of in game real estate and hardware space in terms of counting towards the server cap. To that end we implemented the mechanic of having creatures be claimable in order to open up some freedom in the solution to this dilemma : players could opt to claim the creatures then destroy them at their discretion, or give them away to new players, or even return them to their former owners should said former owners return to the game. Unfortunately, the retention rate vastly outstrips the extermination rate for these expired claims, which leads us back to the problem of claimed dinos counting towards the server cap.

Oh is that something they actually changed on purpose? They should change it back to how it used to be. Now that dinos are unclaimable the server I play on has all these abandoned bases with dinos all over the place that nobody can do anything about. And they take forever to starve to death, I've had a Ptera flying two feet over my mosa's for a month now, that tribe is long since inactive.

• Wildcard Community
1 minute ago, Deadman said:

Oh is that something they actually changed on purpose? They should change it back to how it used to be. Now that dinos are unclaimable the server I play on has all these abandoned bases with dinos all over the place that nobody can do anything about. And they take forever to starve to death, I've had a Ptera flying two feet over my mosa's for a month now, that tribe is long since inactive.

They are still automatically decayed once their "claim timer" goes up when they are in stasis. The only thing that's changed is that players can no longer claim them.

1 minute ago, Eli said:

They are still automatically decayed once their "claim timer" goes up when they are in stasis. The only thing that's changed is that players can no longer claim them.

How long is the decay timer? It seems unreasonably long, none of the dinos on my server have been automatically deleted, they just starve which takes a long time.

• Wildcard Community
Just now, Deadman said:

How long is the decay timer? It seems unreasonably long, none of the dinos on my server have been automatically deleted, they just starve which takes a long time.

It's the same as it's always been. If a creature is not in stasis by the time their timer goes up, they are automatically decayed. If they are not in stasis by the time that it's up, then they will be decayed upon server restart.

5 minutes ago, Eli said:

It's the same as it's always been. If a creature is not in stasis by the time their timer goes up, they are automatically decayed. If they are not in stasis by the time that it's up, then they will be decayed upon server restart.

Oh so it was bugged for PVE it seems, okay. Auto decay on dinos has never been a thing for me so that's all new.

20 minutes ago, Deadman said:

The quote below is taken from the wiki, tamed pets share the same timer with the wood structures.
"4 days for thatch/small utility structures, 8 days days for wood, 12 days for stone, 16 days for metal, tek for 35 days." I'll also add with this, 5 days for greenhouse.

These timers only apply mostly to official servers. The patch they did applies towards people claiming tames that expire. (before they would expire if no one was in range, if someone was in range they could be claimed and someone else could use them, then rest would delete themselves once that person left if they were not claimed)

If your not seeing this happen on your personally owned pve server then change these settings to false in your GameUserSettings.ini if you want them.
DisableDinoDecayPvE=true
DisableStructureDecayPvE=true

I like the fix. Tribes will stop claiming all the dinos they can and stop leaving the ones they don't want behind without unclaiming them. I saw this happen all the time in Legacy. The dinos they don't want they would just leave sitting in that base, taking up their own tame count and the server's tame count until those dinos starved or went up for claim again if they never flew over that spot. 

Now tribes will just fight over items and resources in the abandoned base.

Just imagine for a moment, a tame capped tribe quits on a tame capped server. That's 500 dinos that go *poof*! More tames open! 

Also dinos from those small tribes and solo players that quit the game for one reason or another will be gone too. Nobody really needs to claim dinos from them because those are normally low level dinosaurs their owners had used to get started.

1 minute ago, Joebl0w13 said:

To what end?

If you are logged in looking at your dino, your timer is reset.

If you are looking at another person's dino... it's nonya.

Because our allies, who are usually on SE, have some dinos in our island base and it would save them time if I could tell them when to reset.

Yes they can slap two foundations in our base, but I'd prefer to not have random structures around.

If that timer would show up briefly when pressing H, like the follow distance does, that would be nice.

@Eli - so the server cap is finally forcing you to take some notice, albeit not enough. This doesn’t fix server caps quickly enough, and you’ll just continue to ruin your player base; at a slower rate. An actual solve to server caps would be nice instead of putting a bandaid on a brain tumor.

I don’t even care if you don’t have a fix. The number one issue I have experienced in 12 months of playing this game is a the continued lack of communication. Just own it if you don’t have a fix so more of us can quit now and save us the heartache of “hope” that you’ll figure out a way to fix the server tame cap issue that’s prevelent in over 50% of your ragnarok servers on most, if not all platforms. 

Guest UNST3RBLICH

I think this is a good, and necessary change. While I understand that it can sometimes be cool to "claim" something and skip the whole risk and reward process of taming it yourself, it clears up the issue with lots of old, unused dinos lying around causing lag. It also brings back the element of if you want something, you have to go out and tame it (or breed and hatch it) yourself.

Archived