Stealthchange: Dinos can no longer be claimed when timer runs out

Fistfeet

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Wildcard Community
9 minutes ago, Chrisco said:

Not a stealth patch, happened way back in v255.

* Added option to auto-destroy claimable decayed dinos on load, rather than have them remain around as Claimable. To use this, run with ?AutoDestroyDecayedDinos=true. Official PvE servers now have this enabled

That's in reference to dinos decaying when the timer runs out, not to the fix we applied where the dinos can no longer be claimed if they aren't in stasis and with their timers already expired.

In my opinion, you should be able to see the timers for a few reasons:

1) If the person is your friend and you have them on steam, you can warn them if their timers get too low.

2) If they're not, maybe you can tell someone who is their friend.

3) If it's a place you want to build, you can know roughly when it will be available.

4) If it's something that drops a bag, to collect it. I can think of many times over the last two years that I lost dinos/things because I had loaned them to someone who stopped logging in for whatever reason.

With this change, we have one less tool to help friends or neighbors, though we can still look at nearby wood structures to get a general idea. (Dinos are independent timers though, this will not always give an accurate number) 

This also creates an issue with bugs/accidents that boot people out of tribes, adding additional pressure to the customer service staff to correct them before the timers expire. (In addition to the bug that occasionally causes a bad tribe merge when there is personally owned structures/creatures that do not belong to the tribe owner.)  For this reason, I think claim should be allowed by alliance members, as an added bonus to using that feature. If a creature is in a tribe that has an alliance, a 24h claimable timer should run before or after the standard timer. (IE: The last day before it deletes) If alliance members don't care, delete them. (So basically at day 7 until the end of day 8, any alliance member can claim. Perhaps even merge the structures of the tribe if it's not too much hassle. Kind of an inheritance/safety feature.)

Also, is it possible that rafts could be separated into a separate tame pool so they don't count against the regular tame counts? 500 raft slots should be more than enough?

This is a good move. If people are afraid of not being able to save their friend's work, their friend should have known it could happen, and made arrangements. Of course if it's medical related, damn. But being alive is better than worrying about dinosaurs.

Why is it a good move? Stops that whole "stealing" bs that people hate over, in-game politics. And it clears up server resources.

3 hours ago, Eli said:

That's in reference to dinos decaying when the timer runs out, not to the fix we applied where the dinos can no longer be claimed if they aren't in stasis and with their timers already expired.

I'd like some clarification on how this will affect unofficial servers that don't use AutoDestroyDecayedDinos then. we would like to leave dinos as claimable after their timer expires.

5 hours ago, Ferdia said:

Changes for the good.  I've done my fair share of Dino claiming, but it has spoiled the game a bit.  

it is also a way to recoup your own dinos when wc deletes your char through a rollback and takes too long to restore it. Now if they take to long fixing their mistake you lose your dinos.

18 hours ago, Eli said:

It's the same as it's always been. If a creature is not in stasis by the time their timer goes up, they are automatically decayed. If they are not in stasis by the time that it's up, then they will be decayed upon server restart.

Whats with the blue box? Never seen you around here.. new dev? Forum mod? 

Where the old goodies at? Looking at you @Jerryn

15 hours ago, KLST707 said:

Good to know. I am done with this no life game.

Seriously? THIS was the straw that broke the camel's back? That's the funniest reason I've ever seen someone claim they were going to quit the game over. xDxDxDxD

Anyway, this needed to be the case a long time ago. I'm glad WC finally made it back around to readdress it.

18 hours ago, Eli said:

On my server ver.273.7 with DisableDinoDecayPvE=False?AutoDestroyDecayedDinos=True? when the timer run out for creature that wasn't in stasis I was able to claim it! How to fix it? And I saw the timers! How did you implement this fix on official servers?

• Wildcard Community
2 hours ago, Dorwin said:

On my server ver.273.7 with DisableDinoDecayPvE=False?AutoDestroyDecayedDinos=True? when the timer run out for creature that wasn't in stasis I was able to claim it! How to fix it? And I saw the timers! How did you implement this fix on official servers?

For clarification, you are trying to make the decay settings resemble official servers where decayed dinos are no longer claimable under any circumstance, correct?

8 hours ago, lilpanda said:

For clarification, you are trying to make the decay settings resemble official servers where decayed dinos are no longer claimable under any circumstance, correct?

Yep, I want to know how to make decayed dino not to be claimable under any circumstance. There are no info about it in patch notes.

22 hours ago, bigfishrob said:

it is also a way to recoup your own dinos when wc deletes your char through a rollback and takes too long to restore it. Now if they take to long fixing their mistake you lose your dinos.

This is why I hosted my own server cluster. Because Wildcard would take forever to help people, causing unnecessary loss.

9 minutes ago, Wallbuilder said:

Good. Now people will work for their stuff more often. Also, for whatever reason, the game performance visibly improved for everyone on our server after this update.

Kinda hard say they will work harder for there stuff when sometimes it is wc fault u cant get to ur stuff. Even a nolifer could lose their stuff like this

On 11/14/2017 at 5:09 PM, Eli said:

Not true. At the early days of ARK, one concern from pve players that was forwarded to us was that people that would join the server then for one reason or another cease to play would end up leaving their dinos behind, leading to inactive creatures taking up space in terms of in game real estate and hardware space in terms of counting towards the server cap. To that end we implemented the mechanic of having creatures be claimable in order to open up some freedom in the solution to this dilemma : players could opt to claim the creatures then destroy them at their discretion, or give them away to new players, or even return them to their former owners should said former owners return to the game. Unfortunately, the retention rate vastly outstrips the extermination rate for these expired claims, which leads us back to the problem of claimed dinos counting towards the server cap.

you thought players would claim and then destroy those dinos or give them away, rather than claim and keep? what led you to believe the extermination rate might be higher than the retention rate?

On 11/14/2017 at 3:56 PM, monomania said:

Ah WC adding another nail in the coffin of this ridiculous game.

I think it's a good change, for reasons Eli already highlighted.   WC has made some very dumb changes (gasoline nerfs, for example), but this isn't really one of them.  

Yes, it will stink seeing that rock ele or uber giga or high level wyvern just vanish and not be claimable, but it wasn't yours anyway, so what did you lose?

Archived