Behemoth gates in pve

SmokeyB

Titanosaur can step over the smaller gates. Giganotosaurus can see over the smaller gates.

It is easier to just toss up gates than foundations and then wall after wall after wall....

Offline raid protection is irrelevant because as soon as you log on your dinosaurs will start getting eaten by the numerous wild dinosaurs that have wandered up to them while you were gone.

On 11/14/2017 at 9:34 AM, Joebl0w13 said:

Because it's a sandbox game and people can play as they like.

And they like behemoth gate walls.

Do you realize you always come across as angry and aggressive? How did you ever become a moderator? You are a horrible representative in the forums even if you are a volunteer.

There is no better defense against the environment and kiting than elevation. There are tons of spots on the map(s) with buildible surfaces up high with only a couple of access points. This way a few Bates blocking those points is all you need. Then you can build that beautiful big base with a veiw not hidden behind those walls.
A lot of these spots on the island are hidden under dense forest and you may never know the true potential.
Here is a tip. Once you have a flier, travel the map at height and look around at the terrain in the distance before the trees render in. there are so many elevated spots protected by cliffs that are undeleloped because most people miss the potential.

On 11/14/2017 at 3:32 PM, SmokeyB said:

Why do people make ugly behemoth gate walls around their bases on pve?  

By several reasons.
-Behemoth gate are cheap.
-Behemoth gate are easier to place.
-Behemoth gate have less weight than walls.
-Behemoth gate make your FPS drop a bit less compared with 84 walls.

On 11/17/2017 at 12:57 PM, yekrucifixion187 said:

Best bet is to get some friendlies on your server to come by with wyvern's/Gigas to dispose of it. As long as nothing you own aggro's it it won't damage anything of yours (so place dino's on passive). To be doubly safe you can always log out while they take care of it and have them message you when it is done. I just did this the other day for a tribe across the map. Gets me and my Wyv XP, takes care of your issues. then build the walls 7 high. 

Thanks for the tips.  Unfortunately I have a server full of talkers and not doers.  They all talk about how they kill and tame gigas but when shown a giga they do nothing but make excuses.  I found a few tricks to get the titans away from my base but they are temp fixes for the most part.  I just hate bases surrounded by behemoth gates but now I see why my entire server is built like that and the render lag is horrible because of it.  At least you don't have a screen that shakes constantly. 

I have done it for many reasons 

A. I like being able to come and go from any point in my base, instead of being restricted to one exit and entry.

2. I like that gigas and titans would have a hard time getting in, even though they dont spawn near my base they (at least gigas) do end up there, I have had multiple ones right outside my base.

3. I was very limited on time, the first base I made my walls with that was I had a week to move EVERYTHING because of the snow biome update and had no time to spend 30 years grinding away walls, the second one I had to do it on was because my SE server was getting shut down so again, I had only a short amount of time to get things moved.

4. They're nice and tall, so most annoying things don't get in.

5. I like that I can color individual pieces enabling much more color than just walls. 

On 11/14/2017 at 2:41 PM, Midnight_ said:

Ok I stand corrected. I did the math. Behemoth gates are aprox 7-8 walls wide and 11 tall. at 40 stone a wall that is 3080 stone. the gates and gatways are 2250.

I had a vague memory of a patch making gates more expensive than walls....oh well, now I know.

Also that for sure.

On SE servers (which is what I play the most) I make a defense against wild dinos (behemouth gates) then a defense against griefers (golem kiting ...it happens a lot on my server...wish WC would care about that...they don't and think it is A-OK...:(  ) which consisnts of metal fence foundations and every other foundation a 8+ high metal doorway. It stupid...does not look good...but necessary to defend against griefing.

Midnightrush?

On 11/14/2017 at 12:47 PM, Olivar said:

Because my wall is bigger then yours!
I call it Trumpwall

The man who's always bragging is always the one compensating. ?

On 11/14/2017 at 12:49 PM, Pic1 said:

But who's gonna pay for it? :P

Dude, where you been since he took office? The Mexicans... They're gonna build it to. ?

On 11/17/2017 at 3:04 PM, Mystalias said:

I think people make a false correlation between behemoth gates and lag. The truth is that anyone who can crank out a lot of gates generally also has a lot of dinos and complicated buildings as well. It's the large number of things getting loaded that is causing the lag. (I think it's because the loading routine isn't asynchronous, the engine has to wait for the files to be loaded, making the render thread pause... I also wonder if it's loading each object individually, one at a time... So if a building has 100 stone walls, it reloads the stone wall file 100 times vs. reading it once and making memory copies as needed...)

Let's compare the objects:

Behemoth gate: Two models, one simple animation, and a single sound effect. Even with 40 of them, that's 120 file loads (if each has to be loaded individually instead of load once and make copies in memory.)

Dinos: Models, animation tracks (every action it can do. idle, walking, pooping, etc...), and all of it's sound effects. Multiply by hundreds usually found in a behemoth gate base... (and then multiply by species...) I don't even want to think of how many file loads this is.

I've noticed that just about every time I have hard drive lag in base, it's usually followed by a sound effect or two. I wonder how much the disk lag could be reduced by not playing all those idle sounds, especially at login/approach? Even just making the file loads asynchronous would help a great deal, or prioritize things.

It loads them in tiles, and the larger the piece count per tile, the longer the load... Pretty sure it loads each piece individually as you said... Not optimized at all.

On 11/14/2017 at 9:32 AM, SmokeyB said:

Why do people make ugly behemoth gate walls around their bases on pve?  

All your tames are offline protected and everyone's built so close no dinos spawn nearby anyway.  I thought the whole point of pve was for nice buildings and communitys but all I mostly see are square Box bases surrounded by behemoth gates.  Would be much nicer if everyone took down their gates so we could actually see the nice builds and travel the map on a land mount.  

I've actually been against behemoth gates for quite sometime, until someone lured a lvl 130 giga into my friend's base while he was offline. The moment the poor guy logged in, the giga ate all his dinos and smashed his base....

Archived