Behemoth gates in pve

SmokeyB

Why do people make ugly behemoth gate walls around their bases on pve?  

All your tames are offline protected and everyone's built so close no dinos spawn nearby anyway.  I thought the whole point of pve was for nice buildings and communitys but all I mostly see are square Box bases surrounded by behemoth gates.  Would be much nicer if everyone took down their gates so we could actually see the nice builds and travel the map on a land mount.  

This is a joke post right ? Yes just because its PvE doesnt mean we dont have to defend our base. Its because of the 'E' we put up the gates in the first place. Got to keep those unwanted vistors out. Offline protection is great but if a giga is munching your tames you just need to log back in and bang tames gone. 

2 minutes ago, Midnight_ said:

I do not think that is accurate.

This is more the case. Easier and faster.

it 100% takes less material. You would need at least 7 walls high and 5 walls wide to match the height/width of a behemoth.  Not to mention stone is 5x easier to collect than any other material due to a doed stack of stone only weighing about 9 pounds opposed to 50.

I get creative with my building AFTER I put up my behometh gates. When I played official, I put them up to stop kiting and secure my base perimeter before any trolls decide to plant pillars all over, preventing me from finishing my wall.

Once the perimeter is secure, I'd go outside it and begin building what I like to call "castle walls" then demolish all but 2-4 gates once I finished. 

Building is not for everyone, and as others have stated, behometh gates are much quicker to put up. 

9 minutes ago, bennyrodz said:

it 100% takes less material. You would need at least 7 walls high and 5 walls wide to match the height/width of a behemoth.  Not to mention stone is 5x easier to collect than any other material due to a doed stack of stone only weighing about 9 pounds opposed to 50.

Ok I stand corrected. I did the math. Behemoth gates are aprox 7-8 walls wide and 11 tall. at 40 stone a wall that is 3080 stone. the gates and gatways are 2250.

I had a vague memory of a patch making gates more expensive than walls....oh well, now I know.

1 minute ago, AVENGED said:

I get creative with my building AFTER I put up my behometh gates.

Also that for sure.

On SE servers (which is what I play the most) I make a defense against wild dinos (behemouth gates) then a defense against griefers (golem kiting ...it happens a lot on my server...wish WC would care about that...they don't and think it is A-OK...:(  ) which consisnts of metal fence foundations and every other foundation a 8+ high metal doorway. It stupid...does not look good...but necessary to defend against griefing.

They are efficient.

Cost less ressources than walls and you have way less structures. I'm not sure if that means it takes much longer til you hit the structure limit, or if 1 behemoth counts as 77 structures or something.

Also I want to keep titanosaurs out. Led to my base by players or not.

My b-gates wall is 10x6. I aligned them perfectly and painted them to make them look prettier. Doesn't look that bad.

There's no way I replace 32 b-gates with walls and fence foundations.

Behemoth gates have a lower polygon count than you are probably imagining them to be. They don't add to lag nearly as much as the hordes of dinos pve players usually have.

I agree they are ugly, but they are cheap and efficient to build. I choose behemoth gates for walls over fence/wall combos not just because of cost, but also because the collision frame for behemoths are much thicker, and therefor less likely to have wild/kited dinos glitch past them and wreak havoc on my tames inside.

And if you really hate behemoth gates that much, click the spoiler to find out what you can do about it.....

Spoiler

Don't use them.

Behemoth gates are much easier to deal with, though I wouldn't mind using behemoth walls or the S+ 12 high walls instead. Behemoth gates look rather nice when you paint them, and their height keeps just about everything out. Before they changed the way x plants worked, I really liked my walls of hundreds of x plants... but there's no way I could keep up with the fertilizer drain of them now. (I lived in the swamp then, something was constantly being shot at.)

It all comes down to lazy building. 

We were culprits of this on legacy. I mean take a doedic, thorny/beaver, mammoth/theri around and knock out behemoths in no time (did 26 stone in 30 minutes once for a trade) and you can cover a huge area, easy placement filling in gaps between the terrains with foundations or spiked walls. You can mark your entire area in an hour. 

However I think those of us on legacy should have learned the type of lag this creates and have altered our practice but laziness usually wins out.  My tribe mate and us have learned though. We don't even really have a gated area in our new base because the only things that will be aggroed to our base are possibly a golem or wyvern's and our set up of Rex's can handle that. We limited ourselves to 5 behemoth gates in our one rendered area. two into the building, 3 to protect certain pathways (so we don't have to deal with a constant stream of kentro's which is annoying) and then we went out of render distance of our main base and set up a Rex barn/wyvern trap with two more. 

At our alternate base across the map we used one. 

Our main base area is still laggy though. part of that is rag the other part is because behemoth gate walls were used at two other bases in our area. we even offered to build the walls and fence foundations for these two tribes but laziness wins out. 

6 hours ago, Sh4rk said:

Behemoth gates have a lower polygon count

This is true but due to how structures render in when approaching a base one that uses individual walls has a smoother load in. Behemoth gates just pop in all at once and when there is 30 to 40 of them that giant pop of 5 at a time until all 30 to 40 are rendered in creates the lag/freezes/bluescreens along with the crazy amount of dino's and buildings. it makes it too much to handle. test it out on single player. No dino's build a roughly same size wall using only behemoths vs using walls and fence foundations with one or two behemoths and dino gates and you'll see which one renders better. 

I have two behemoth gates on my pve base and pen area. I did stone walls 4 high around those for both areas.  I now have TWO titans caught up in one of the gates just stomping around making this game ridiculous to play on top of lag.  This has been going on for days.  DAYS.  Real time days.  It's annoying.  Do something about those big bumbling idiots on PVE

2 hours ago, Steeze said:

I have two behemoth gates on my pve base and pen area. I did stone walls 4 high around those for both areas.  I now have TWO titans caught up in one of the gates just stomping around making this game ridiculous to play on top of lag.  This has been going on for days.  DAYS.  Real time days.  It's annoying.  Do something about those big bumbling idiots on PVE

Best bet is to get some friendlies on your server to come by with wyvern's/Gigas to dispose of it. As long as nothing you own aggro's it it won't damage anything of yours (so place dino's on passive). To be doubly safe you can always log out while they take care of it and have them message you when it is done. I just did this the other day for a tribe across the map. Gets me and my Wyv XP, takes care of your issues. then build the walls 7 high. 

I think people make a false correlation between behemoth gates and lag. The truth is that anyone who can crank out a lot of gates generally also has a lot of dinos and complicated buildings as well. It's the large number of things getting loaded that is causing the lag. (I think it's because the loading routine isn't asynchronous, the engine has to wait for the files to be loaded, making the render thread pause... I also wonder if it's loading each object individually, one at a time... So if a building has 100 stone walls, it reloads the stone wall file 100 times vs. reading it once and making memory copies as needed...)

Let's compare the objects:

Behemoth gate: Two models, one simple animation, and a single sound effect. Even with 40 of them, that's 120 file loads (if each has to be loaded individually instead of load once and make copies in memory.)

Dinos: Models, animation tracks (every action it can do. idle, walking, pooping, etc...), and all of it's sound effects. Multiply by hundreds usually found in a behemoth gate base... (and then multiply by species...) I don't even want to think of how many file loads this is.

I've noticed that just about every time I have hard drive lag in base, it's usually followed by a sound effect or two. I wonder how much the disk lag could be reduced by not playing all those idle sounds, especially at login/approach? Even just making the file loads asynchronous would help a great deal, or prioritize things.

Archived