Revisiting Nomadic Life

Logan96

Hello all,

This is basically a thread regarding living as a nomad (always on the move) and attempting to come up with an alternative play style for players who don't enjoy the thought of attempting to upkeep a base. While there are a few other forums providing tips on playing like this, I feel as though most of them only scratch the surface and largely mirror the begining stages of every player (stay small, stay hidden). I'm looking to bring nomadic lifestyle to the next level, which i feel is now possible due to the newer dinos that have been added to the game. Ultimately the goal is to create a build that can do almost what every normal player does, with the exception that we are not tied down to a base and that we have relatively low tech gear. Here are the tips I've come up with playing this way, but feel free to add your own as well as any concerns you would have for this type of gameplay. 

1. Oxygen is now useful-Without crops or the ability to make  scuba gear oxygen is the next best option for obtaining pearls and oil. I've found that 300 oxygen (only a 10 point investment) and a low level itchy/beaver/frog is enough to reach the ocean floor with a little time to spare for gathering, although I'm unsure if this is enough to reach the air pockets in the underwater cave.

2. Fortitude is a must-Without a base the elements can slowly take their toll on your food and hp, but even worse is the fact that you will be running into ALOT of troodon while on foot. I have about 20 fortitude and with basic hide and stimberries I can usually hold off a pack that is 4 or less. I plan on pumping this up to 30 though as being blindsided by a snake is still pretty much a death sentence.

--------------------------------------

Those are the only stat recomendations I have, the rest is up to you and depends on whether you want to be a quick moving archer, pack mule trader, or  a hard hitting spear/club user. The next set of tips ascertain to improving the quality of life, to avoid living like a bum in the jungle.

1. Temporary bases are still nomadic-Lets face it, the mechanics in Ark require you to construct and place things in order to thrive. There are certain saddles which now allow you to have a smithy or mortar and pestle while on the move, but frankly having no perimeter set up once logging off is yet another death sentence. Thankfully even the most famous nomadic tribes would still set up camps untill the resources in that area had been exhausted, or until winter forced them to move. I've found that when starting out having a simple elevated wooden ceiling on pillars (2x1) with a sleeping bag and a chest, defended with a spike perimeter in a hidden area was enough to survive a work or school day offline.  As you tame more dinos and reach the higher equipment levels you will naturally need more space, but in turn you can have a camp set up for longer periods of time. I have a tribe of 3 and we typically do a migration day on the weekands, which involves moving all of our dinos and demolishing everything at our last camp, before looking for a new place to stay. This is an area where this playstyle really shines, because it allows you to transport large numbers of dinos side by side in a true nomadic fashion. After we find a place to stay we spend the rest of the day setting up spikes, traps and defensive dinos, before moving on to our one and only structure, which is a simple 5x3x4 crafting room. We then stay here for the whole week coming on after school and work to either tame or explore. (there is very little grinding playing this way)

2. Trading is a highlight of this playstye-Due to having little to no base management we are free to do other things such as caving or taming, which sometimes yields us with valuable goods to trade. I've found that most larger tribes are unintrested in what you have to offer, but there are MANY smaller-medium sized tribes who would be more than willing to offer a decent rifle or kibble in exchange for a good bp or uncommon tame, such as a spino. The other thing this does is  open up alliances, which leads me to the next tip...

3. Allies are your new best friends-So many times my tribe and I would have been too afraid to log off of the game if not for our allies. They can offer crops and kibble for trading, but most importantly if you are on good terms with them they will be mroe than happy to let you leave some of your dinos in their behemoth perimeter. Additionally if you are ever raided it's nice to have some friends who have decent weapons to back you up. 

Thats all I really have for tips on this and it looks like it's super long and nobody will read it (lol) but this is a playtyle my friends and I really enjoy and It would be neat to see others try to play this way as well. Feel free to share ay other tips or concerns about this and I will see you all on the ARK!

I play single play so I don't have to worry about enemies really. I set up outposts with basic crafting stations and utility dinos all over the place. That way I always have a spawn point somewhere relatively close in case I die and I can roam as I please. It suits me just fine because I hate trailing a whole mess of dinos behind you through any kind of rocky or tree filled terrain. I'm sure it's not the most practical style of play for servers, but I like the nomad life. The Equus saddle is a godsend because I am forever running out of narc arrows. 

1 hour ago, SmokeyB said:

It might be fun for single player or pve but on a pvp server someone will kill all your dinos offline and you will wake up with nothing. 

That is sort of the point of this thread. It certainly is a challenge, but the idea is to find workarounds to actually make it viable. We have been raided like this multiple times, but eventually you build up a large number of dinos and allies that you can deter most raiders, so long as it's not an invading large tribe or the alpha of the server.  

I've tried this a few times.  I did this when I played on the center, scorched earth. and recently using just a raft on the island.   I just park somewhere "safe" when i log off.  What's nice is the inventory space you get when using an actual mount as a "base" though.

I only rarely had a problem of falling off the platform after signing off, but it's probably better now that we can lay in the beds when we sign off.

I eventually end up with a "base" of some kind somewhere though, that's really more like a "garage".  Even if it's just to store some things, a vault, a garden, or to keep an alternate tame or two. .. things like that.  keep it simple.

This is using unofficial rates though (between 4x and 8x), there's no way I'd limit myself to official rates using only hand tools to mine metal with any sort of long term objective in mind.

Guest UNST3RBLICH

I usually do this when I start on a new map/server just to get a feel for the environment and a layout of the land. With Ragnarok, having the ability to craft a tent is pretty useful as well.

It's a completely different experience with a very different set of goals and priorities than picking a location and building there exclusively.

15 hours ago, Logan96 said:

That is sort of the point of this thread. It certainly is a challenge, but the idea is to find workarounds to actually make it viable. We have been raided like this multiple times, but eventually you build up a large number of dinos and allies that you can deter most raiders, so long as it's not an invading large tribe or the alpha of the server.  

Trouble is without a base you don't have a safe place to store your caravan of dinos,  if a line troll finds them all he will kill them,  there is nothing to stop him without turrets. 

Passive dinos he can just lead aggressive wilds to them,  and neutral dinos he can just lead them to fight wild dinos. He wouldn't even have to get his name on the tribe log. 

1 hour ago, SmokeyB said:

Trouble is without a base you don't have a safe place to store your caravan of dinos,  if a line troll finds them all he will kill them,  there is nothing to stop him without turrets. 

Passive dinos he can just lead aggressive wilds to them,  and neutral dinos he can just lead them to fight wild dinos. He wouldn't even have to get his name on the tribe log. 

I agree with you. I think this playstyle would be better suited to single player or PVE. One guy on a wyvern or giga could easily offline raid them and destroy everything. 

Or brainwave here,  put a generator on your paracer and then when you stop quickly throw down turrets around the bottom of the paracer. When you move pick the turrets up and take them with you. Should keep trolls away. 

But if I saw you I would kill everything from out of turret range with my compound bow. Lol 

4 hours ago, SmokeyB said:

That's where your allies or temporary base comes into play. Being able to place your dinos behind someone's walls who you trust seems to keep most trolls away. Still I totally get what your saying. WIthout allies the next best step would have to be owning a large tribe to the point where there could be someone on to help defend. I liked the turret idea with the paracer holding the generator as well. One thing we would do is find a canyon (like the one on the western approach) and place wooden dinos gates on the openings. The cliffside would provide cover on the other angles. We still occasionally lose dinos to a more dedicated griefer, but usually just our lower hp dinos and flyers. Basically what you just mentioned though is the main struggle with this play style.

27 minutes ago, d1nk said:

Ive always liked this playstyle. To bad the game mechanics highly favor you not being able to..

Your right and it's so weird, because te very first trailer shows this game being played that way. (the t-rex chasing that dude on foot to his little tribal base) In other trailers like the snow biome introduction you also see the devs in fur hunting mammoths with throwing spears lol. I wish the mechanics did encourage this type of play more, because It would certainly be more interesting than the daily grind we see now.

4 minutes ago, Logan96 said:

Your right and it's so weird, because te very first trailer shows this game being played that way. (the t-rex chasing that dude on foot to his little tribal base) In other trailers like the snow biome introduction you also see the devs in fur hunting mammoths with throwing spears lol. I wish the mechanics did encourage this type of play more, because It would certainly be more interesting than the daily grind we see now.

I agree! I have tried man.. many times! When the center first came out I lived for 6 months as a nomad. Official pve, my biggest gripe was I HAD to do like you said, build a safe garage every night because of trolls. I eventually made a base, parked there every night and eventually it turned into a full normal base.. then leeds came out

Youve inspired me to try Nomad life now that I live on an unofficial .. ill get back to you next time I get to play :)

41 minutes ago, Logan96 said:

That's where your allies or temporary base comes into play. Being able to place your dinos behind someone's walls who you trust seems to keep most trolls away. Still I totally get what your saying. WIthout allies the next best step would have to be owning a large tribe to the point where there could be someone on to help defend. I liked the turret idea with the paracer holding the generator as well. One thing we would do is find a canyon (like the one on the western approach) and place wooden dinos gates on the openings. The cliffside would provide cover on the other angles. We still occasionally lose dinos to a more dedicated griefer, but usually just our lower hp dinos and flyers. Basically what you just mentioned though is the main struggle with this play style.

If you have to put your tames in an allies Base then you can't really be nomadic as you have to return to the same spot every night.

6 hours ago, SmokeyB said:

If you have to put your tames in an allies Base then you can't really be nomadic as you have to return to the same spot every night.

Fair point, but you've already made it clear that there needs to be a compromise with whats been given to us lest we lose everything. Maybe someday we will find better tactics such as the one you've mentioned...until then keep your damned compound away from our dinos lol

On 11/14/2017 at 10:24 AM, Logan96 said:

I didn't choose the nomad life, the nomad life chose me. (I took artistic license -Vrallox)

Sounds like a lot of fun. Shame, as others have said, ARK isn't really set up for that kind of play style. That'd be a nice mod map. One set up solely for nomads. Reminds me of my no build server idea. Temporary building would be possible but all structures would automatically decay after a set amount of time. Say 6 hours.

There used to be a player on our PvE server that built solely on rafts. Had an incubation raft, a kitchen raft, the works. He quit shortly after the leeds was implemented. Poor guy.

As for diving, you could tame some diplocalus. They can be ridden when they're swimming and they share their oxygen with you while doing so. They're living scuba tanks.

Archived