is ark so called pvp showing that average human is sad psycho

OttoGrunf

28 minutes ago, LouSpowells said:

I killed probably over 100 police officers and 50 or so pedestrians in GTA5 last night. I also committed dozens of misdemeanor and felony driving offenses including - but not limited to - vehicular manslaughter, unsafe overtakes, reckless driving, running hundreds of red lights, speeding, exhibition of speed, hit-and-run, vehicular assault, and not using a blinker while changing lanes. I shot down a few helicopters and mowed over other human players regularly. Today I drove to work doing 75mph without incident.

People do things in video games that they don't do in real life. Typically the people most bothered by this are those who have never played video games and those who are salty about something that happened in the video game they were playing. Don't get me wrong, in many cases humanity pretty much sucks and significant chunk of us are often entitled, self-righteous buttholes...but what you're seeing isn't reflective of society, they're reflective of video gamers in a PvP environment. If that's not the player you want to be, great. Just be aware that you will be at a disadvantage in comparison to other video gamers who will KOS those who treat PvP like a real-life simulator.

Some very good points. When we wipe out some guy in his stone mansion that's hes decorated to resemble a castle he will often whine in chat - "what did I do to you?", "why you doing this?". It seems a lot of people that play PVP don't understand the concept of PVP and to be fair there are a lot of "PVP" servers now that are virtually PVE servers because everyone on there seems to not want to do PVP. So when you go to such a server and beginning attacking people you get these kind of odd questions. Amusing really.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I used to feel this way too. Awhile back (like early xbox days.) I had an alpha kill my wives tames. I was so angry and protective I did everything in my power to get back at them. I spammed the entire area around there base with more foundations than I could count (id revisit and replace any they managed to destroy.) I filled every metal spawn with I could with foundations. I stalked the players around the map and harassed them. (killed a high level giga they knocked out after giving em like an hour to start the tame. Just to make it sting more.) The leader approached me with a truce and offered to replace the dinos we lost. I declined and made it clear my goal was to ruin them on that server. Eventually they moved on to Destiny. After awhile of them not coming back... I started to feel bad. So i messaged the leader and basically said sorry. It didn't matter, i had driven them off of Ark all together. In an effort to make there life worse I had even harassed tribes just starting out to try and make the server dead of population. 

In retrospect i realized I had become the phycos I claimed others to be. And it sank in, its just a game. Karma got me back and a large tribe war on our next server led a defeated alpha doing the same thing in an attempt to "kill" the server. Now I play single player if I want to build or tame. If I happen to get the urge to play online its to war with others. 

Long story short I think its unfair to assume the way people play reflect the way they are IRL. Some people just got tired of being wiped and decided to take it out on the under dogs. Some people are alphas and are afraid of losing that status. Some people are just trolls and like to ruin other peoples good times (those are the closest to the crazies.) 

1 minute ago, TouchedChimp said:

I used to feel this way too. Awhile back (like early xbox days.) I had an alpha kill my wives tames. I was so angry and protective I did everything in my power to get back at them. I spammed the entire area around there base with more foundations than I could count (id revisit and replace any they managed to destroy.) I filled every metal spawn with I could with foundations. I stalked the players around the map and harassed them. (killed a high level giga they knocked out after giving em like an hour to start the tame. Just to make it sting more.) The leader approached me with a truce and offered to replace the dinos we lost. I declined and made it clear my goal was to ruin them on that server. Eventually they moved on to Destiny. After awhile of them not coming back... I started to feel bad. So i messaged the leader and basically said sorry. It didn't matter, i had driven them off of Ark all together. In an effort to make there life worse I had even harassed tribes just starting out to try and make the server dead of population. 

In retrospect i realized I had become the phycos I claimed others to be. And it sank in, its just a game. Karma got me back and a large tribe war on our next server led a defeated alpha doing the same thing in an attempt to "kill" the server. Now I play single player if I want to build or tame. If I happen to get the urge to play online its to war with others. 

Long story short I think its unfair to assume the way people play reflect the way they are IRL. Some people just got tired of being wiped and decided to take it out on the under dogs. Some people are alphas and are afraid of losing that status. Some people are just trolls and like to ruin other peoples good times (those are the closest to the crazies.) 

TBH you sound like someone that has the potential to be a very good PVP player, I am surprised you threw in the towel so fast. To be good at PVP in ARK and to succeed you have to have a certain fighting spirit and will to dominate others. You seem to have a bit of both which is a plus. I think you should reconsider not playing PVP, it sounds like you would really enjoy it if you joined the right crew.

6 hours ago, OttoGrunf said:

its hard to find nice alpha tribe. even solo players and small tribes usually kill on site. strong tribes visit other servers and pick easy and weak targets. what is wrong with those people? what is point of raiding some beach bob with your level 300 animal? what is point of wiping beach bobs wooden hut and his 1 parasaur with your c4? shouldnt point of raiding be challenge to take down much stronger enemy? why 95% or ark players are sad people that pray on weak and helpless? does it show how human society is going more and more in pitfall? why everybody look me so strange when i give metal tools and gear to nude beach bobs i come across in ark? i get really depressed when i think that ark players presents current human society in average, do you?

All I gotta say is go to a pve server have a look around,  bases and dinos scattered everywhere, no room to build and no Dino spawns. 

That is what your server would look like if the alphas didn't clean house now and again. Beach noobs need to be moved along. 

11 minutes ago, SmokeyB said:

All I gotta say is go to a pve server have a look around,  bases and dinos scattered everywhere, no room to build and no Dino spawns. 

That is what your server would look like if the alphas didn't clean house now and again. Beach noobs need to be moved along. 

I think that's more to do with the flawed nature of PVE then anything else. It's a mode that encourages endless expansion and spam with little thought required.

5 hours ago, OttoGrunf said:

so developers are to blame for most people being bullies and having fun for making small people miserable? developers are to blame for sadist feeling being predominant in average ark player? i enjoy helping noobs, solo players and small tribes. i feel joyful when they say thanks. i feel accomplished when i take down far superior enemy. i dont feel accomplished for making beach bob sad and miserable. why do you? and why do you justify that people? is it ok that ark is raising psychopaths?

If you have not - Watch "The Walking Dead".  In the absence of any centralized governance.....people make up their own. Peoples true nature is more freely expressed. You get to know their true self under these conditions better than any other. And many people are just bullies and jerks. Those are the ones that seek most the position of "alpha" and that is why most alphas are garbage. Also the main reason I play PvE

4 hours ago, Ranger1 said:

I've always been a firm believer in skillful players don't need to wipe the little guy.  Instead, if they are wise, they either make allies of them or they have the maturity to realize that if they allow the little guy to develop in the end everybody ends up having a lot more fun when conflict finally does break out.

this part is well said

4 hours ago, Ranger1 said:

HOWEVER, with that being said, any time you equate a game whose primary goal is no holds barred, unrestricted PVP activity with anything remotely involving the real world you are making a fundamental mistake.

A ruthlessly efficient COD player isn't a mass murderer in reality, a effective linebacker isn't a sadist in reality, an accomplished RISK player isn't bent on world domination in reality, and a chess grandmaster isn't a political assassin in reality.

i tought primary goal in ark is to do boss fights and ascend. differece in pve and pvp is that you can if needed fight other for resources. in cod your goal is to kill other, thats it, no other solution to win

2 hours ago, ForzaProiettile said:

as a player you are stupid enough to build a small weak base right in the open then chances are someone like me is going to come along break it apart and throw your stone tools all over the sand. Why? Because the game says I can. PVP.

thats just sad. you are making yourself happy by making weak targets miserable. you fit perfectly in topic title :P

1 hour ago, LouSpowells said:

IPeople do things in video games that they don't do in real life. Typically the people most bothered by this are those who have never played video games and those who are salty about something that happened in the video game they were playing. Don't get me wrong, in many cases humanity pretty much sucks and significant chunk of us are often entitled, self-righteous buttholes...but what you're seeing isn't reflective of society, they're reflective of video gamers in a PvP environment. If that's not the player you want to be, great. Just be aware that you will be at a disadvantage in comparison to other video gamers who will KOS those who treat PvP like a real-life simulator.

i have been playing games longer than you lived (30+ years so far) but i still dont get how people enjoy making other people miserable. those gta characters havent invested hours to make wooden shack, tame that parasaur and get their 100 metal ingots like beach bobs did

13 minutes ago, Midnight_ said:

If you have not - Watch "The Walking Dead".  In the absence of any centralized governance.....people make up their own. Peoples true nature is more freely expressed. You get to know their true self under these conditions better than any other. And many people are just bullies and jerks. Those are the ones that seek most the position of "alpha" and that is why most alphas are garbage. Also the main reason I play PvE

49 minutes ago, MandaBear said:

People just had to hide a bit better to do it back then since they had to build everything in secret before attacking your base. I saw 3 seperate alpha tribes wiped because a tribe from another server came over and built up in secret after a single person had reported to them that the server alphas were starting to slack off a bit. 

hide where? you can hide from overconfident alpha tribe that doesnt activly search server, but you cant hide from griefers activly searching for beach bob or low level tribes

45 minutes ago, ForzaProiettile said:

Some very good points. When we wipe out some guy in his stone mansion that's hes decorated to resemble a castle he will often whine in chat - "what did I do to you?", "why you doing this?". It seems a lot of people that play PVP don't understand the concept of PVP and to be fair there are a lot of "PVP" servers now that are virtually PVE servers because everyone on there seems to not want to do PVP. So when you go to such a server and beginning attacking people you get these kind of odd questions. Amusing really.

goal in ark is not to wipe helpless people, goal is to ascend :P

17 minutes ago, Midnight_ said:

walkind dead sucks, i stopped watching it few episodes ago, its just way too dumb now. new dinasty tv show is more enjoyable and have more action in it.

but yes, ark shows that majority of people is sick sadist that enjoys making other miserable just for fun. and thats what makes me sad :(

22 minutes ago, OttoGrunf said:

walkind dead sucks, i stopped watching it few episodes ago, its just way too dumb now. new dinasty tv show is more enjoyable and have more action in it.

but yes, ark shows that majority of people is sick sadist that enjoys making other miserable just for fun. and thats what makes me sad :(

Some players like to spend all day chopping wood, mining rocks, taming, breeding and making their stupidly large laggy base bigger and then there are players that just like to go around causing havoc. They go around slaughtering players and their dinos, blowing up their base and underdoing thousands of hours of hard work. 

I'm the latter. A Hard Reset is what every tribe needs once a week ;)

18 minutes ago, ForzaProiettile said:

Some players like to spend all day chopping wood, mining rocks, taming, breeding and making their stupidly large laggy base bigger and then there are players that just like to go around causing havoc. They go around slaughtering players and their dinos, blowing up their base and underdoing thousands of hours of hard work. 

I'm the latter. A Hard Reset is what every tribe needs once a week ;)

why dont you "hard reset" alpha or beta tribes when you are so good? instead you pray on helples noobs or people that are still game infants. you fit into description of topic :P

31 minutes ago, Jaric said:

So we're making broad sweeping claims about humanity because people are pvping on a PvP server? If only ark provided special servers for people who didn't want to PvP!!!

goal of the ark is to ascend not to cause other people to be miserable and enjoy in that

1 minute ago, OttoGrunf said:

why dont you "hard reset" alpha or beta tribes when you are so good? instead you pray on helples noobs or people that are still game infants. you fit into description of topic :P

goal of the ark is to ascend not to cause other people to be miserable and enjoy in that

We do attack Alpha tribes all the time. You have to understand though that a tribe of 5 cannot take on a tribe of 70 face to face. We try to surprise the alpha tribe so that we have the advantage. Attacking their main base where they might have 1000+ turrets isn't logical but attacking their poorly designed permitter breeding base on the other hand makes perfect sense.

Why though do you think it unfair if a tribe of 5 attacks another tribe of around 5 or so? I think it is very fair. 

To answer this:

Yes, but come on we already know that. Take away all laws and consequence for "evil" actions, and yeah a lot of people are going to do awful things. Add immense imbalances in power between different groups, and it gets much worse. History tells us as much. I'd love to believe that it's just a game and "modern civilized" humans would behave differently if societal moors broke down or were taken away, but give it some time and scarcity of resources and I think a lot of "sad psychos" would be a pretty apt description.

Moreover, in the context of the game, you can justify nearly anything with enough moral gymnastics. Plenty of valid examples here of why Alphas beat on lowbies and noobs; there is sadistic griefing at times, but it's really about destroying anything that could be a threat before it becomes a threat.

7 minutes ago, Arkasaurio said:

To answer this:

Yes, but come on we already know that. Take away all laws and consequence for "evil" actions, and yeah a lot of people are going to do awful things. Add immense imbalances in power between different groups, and it gets much worse. History tells us as much. I'd love to believe that it's just a game and "modern civilized" humans would behave differently if societal moors broke down or were taken away, but give it some time and scarcity of resources and I think a lot of "sad psychos" would be a pretty apt description.

Moreover, in the context of the game, you can justify nearly anything with enough moral gymnastics. Plenty of valid examples here of why Alphas beat on lowbies and noobs; there is sadistic griefing at times, but it's really about destroying anything that could be a threat before it becomes a threat.

The aim of the game is to dominate other players, it doesn't really matter how you achieve that its the end result that counts. Now obviously if your in a large tribe or a small tribe how you approach the task will be different. Alpha tribe can just use raw power where as a smaller tribe needs to use more intrigues, stealth and other 'methods' to achieve the same thing.

18 minutes ago, ForzaProiettile said:

The aim of the game is to dominate other players, it doesn't really matter how you achieve that its the end result that counts. Now obviously if your in a large tribe or a small tribe how you approach the task will be different. Alpha tribe can just use raw power where as a smaller tribe needs to use more intrigues, stealth and other 'methods' to achieve the same thing.

the aim of the game is to ascend. you are trying to justify that you enjoy giving pain and making small people miserable

1 hour ago, OttoGrunf said:

I think you missed my point. Was not trying to advertise the show. Only it is a good representation of what we see in Ark. When a person or small gorup like an alpha tribe is allowed to make all the rules 9 times out of 10 (or worse.....99 out of a hundred maybe..or somewhere in between) will be jerks and lord their dominance over everyone rather than take the effort to establish something good that many can enjoy.

13 hours ago, OttoGrunf said:

its hard to find nice alpha tribe. even solo players and small tribes usually kill on site. strong tribes visit other servers and pick easy and weak targets. what is wrong with those people? what is point of raiding some beach bob with your level 300 animal? what is point of wiping beach bobs wooden hut and his 1 parasaur with your c4? shouldnt point of raiding be challenge to take down much stronger enemy? why 95% or ark players are sad people that pray on weak and helpless? does it show how human society is going more and more in pitfall? why everybody look me so strange when i give metal tools and gear to nude beach bobs i come across in ark? i get really depressed when i think that ark players presents current human society in average, do you?

No, humanity has never changed we are just electricity, water, or food away from murdering each other for a hand full of berries. About 5 percent of people are inherently good and 5 inherently bad and the rest will follow whoever is the most powerful, most charismatic, coolest, safest, or smartest until someone seemingly better comes along. If you don’t believe it’s happened all throughout history and is happening right now. The question you should ask yourself is what are you?

13 hours ago, OttoGrunf said:

If you think ark is bad at this, Check out rust. Rust is KOS 99.9% of the time no matter what. Ark is not like what you are talking about at all, You just seem to have bad encounters with these mega tribes.

I kill every single beach bob I see without a second thought for one good reason. I am the alpha of my server and I was helping people, giving them some tools we didn't use. Some flak we didn't use and offering them protection. So I was the nice guy that helped and let people build on the condition that you're not too close to us. 

However this all changed when I was out doing a metal run with a tribemate. I get the dreaded red text of my 255 Megalodon being killed by level 35 beach bob (Can't remember the name). This player built up enough arrows and a crossbow to sit just outside the water by our water pen and snipe my megalodon. I'm guessing he moved onto my Basilosaurus after which had 35k health and an ascendant saddle so he was never going to be able to kill. I flew back and got straight on my wyvern and killed every single person on that beach. Foundation wiped this beach bob and despawned all of their stuff. 

I was also giving some stuff to a different person whilst on my Pteranodon when he gets his tribemate to sneak up behind me and bola my bird then bola me. Then killing me and my Pteranodon. 

Betrayal is a bitter pill to swallow. Therefore I am making sure it never happens again to me because you get all of these people screaming for help but there is no doubt if they had a foothold in an alpha tribe or some power of their own, they would 100% be wiping every noob and backstabbing alliances/trust. My trust has been betrayed so you best know if you are not my ally or we are not speaking or trading. I will hit you just so you can't hit me. 

Agreed I like to give to bobs and help anyway I can

Archived