should player speed be nerfed? its like fighting with flash or nightcrawler

OttoGrunf

16 minutes ago, Jabroni said:

If you have enough turrets the speed isnt even a Problem. But why should I need a Stego for every small turret box with 3 or 4 turrets? A nerf like this would also make some caves pretty much unraidable.

Because farming 3-4 turrets + bullets is way slower than flak + rocket launcher/few c4?

As defender you have to defend your base from lot of sides, so attacking shouldn't be so easy.

I'm also running 180+ base speed and if you really think thats not OP, you have strange opinions. With this speed, you can outrun most of the breeded dinos in the game. Turrets cant keep track of you and you can run easily to the base and blow it.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, Jabroni said:

So I wont be able to do any PvP without using a tame. Which means if I want to do PvP I have to use a tame which will give away my Server number.

I am in a small tribe of 4-5 People. Hiding your Server number while doing PvP is a complete must if you dont want to be offline/foundation wiped the next day by a mega alliance. I would love to take tames over and use them instead. We have like 50 Wyverns around ready to be used. But the risk of me and my tribe losing everything that we build up in months is way to high for a bit of fun.

Also, how is it a good Thing to FORCE People to use tames? Why not give them the choice to use them or not. You still see a massive amount of tames used in every big raid. Its not like they dont get used.

Because man isn't a particularly fast member of the animal kingdom.  Our advantage is our brain, not our physical abilities.  Yes, we can be stealthy and we can plan well, we might even be said to be somewhat agile... but fast really isn't in the picture.  The truth is most creatures should be able to catch us like we are standing still, and I have yet to see where a persons ability to run quickly did them much good in a pitched battle.

If you're worried about losing everything if someone finds out your server... no offense... but that speaks of limited planning and a dependence on what was most likely an oversight in the game mechanics.  You could easily take steps so that no retaliatory raid could do much damage to you.

There would still definitely be times where being on foot is beneficial... sniping immediately comes to mind.  But in a primordial world the smart sniper should have a fast mount near at hand as well.  Trying to hoof it out on foot through dangerous prehistoric environs, while your enemies are traveling on mounts at home in the terrain, should place the person on foot at a tremendous disadvantage.

6 minutes ago, Ranger1 said:

Because man isn't a particularly fast member of the animal kingdom.  Our advantage is our brain, not our physical abilities.  Yes, we can be stealthy and we can plan well, we might even be said to be somewhat agile... but fast really isn't in the picture.  The truth is most creatures should be able to catch us like we are standing still, and I have yet to see where a persons ability to run quickly did them much good in a pitched battle.

If you're worried about losing everything if someone finds out your server... no offense... but that speaks of limited planning and a dependence on what was most likely an oversight in the game mechanics.  You could easily take steps so that no retaliatory raid could do much damage to you.

There would still definitely be times where being on foot is beneficial... sniping immediately comes to mind.  But in a primordial world the smart sniper should have a fast mount near at hand as well.  Trying to hoof it out on foot through dangerous prehistoric environs, while your enemies are traveling on mounts at home in the terrain, should place the person on foot at a tremendous disadvantage.

While you are right with what you are saying, you are basically just telling me "The Player should use tames because realism". But what about gameplay? Gameplay should always be more important. Right now you have the choice between using a tame or running around of foot.

In this game the Player/Human is basically a tame/dino. You can  level all kinds of stats on your tames and the level of the tames does matter as well.

I can level my Bear to carry more than a Giga or a Bronto. Unrealistic
I can level my Bear to be faster than Raptors, Rexes, Sabers and so on. Unrealistic
I can level my Bear to be stronger than Any Rex, Bronto and so on. Unrealistic

Now lets go to the player:

I can carry more than most wild Dinos and around 1000 kg. Unrealistic.
I can survive jumping down from pretty much any high and survive Rex bites with ease. Unrealistic.
I can outrun pretty much any wild Dino running around. Unrealistic.

See what I am trying to say? In PvP I dont need the "immersion" of staying alive against the wild. I had this early game and it was great, but now I want PvP and be able to get around. Even with 180 movement I still get hit by Snakes or Troodons here and there and then I go to sleep, because most of my points went into movement and not Fort or Meele.

And yes the Humans strong Point is the Brain, but dont Forget the Giga or Griffin over there is controlled by a Human with a brain as well. And most Player controlled Dinos you cant really take out one vs. one on foot (as it should be). You only have the option to run/hide. If you take that away as well you can basically just get of the Keyboard/Controller once a enemy Giga, Griffin, Wyvern etc. sees you and wait for the respawn timer to be down.

3 minutes ago, Jabroni said:

While you are right with what you are saying, you are basically just telling me "The Player should use tames because realism". But what about gameplay? Gameplay should always be more important. Right now you have the choice between using a tame or running around of foot.

In this game the Player/Human is basically a tame/dino. You can  level all kinds of stats on your tames and the level of the tames does matter as well.

I can level my Bear to carry more than a Giga or a Bronto. Unrealistic
I can level my Bear to be faster than Raptors, Rexes, Sabers and so on. Unrealistic
I can level my Bear to be stronger than Any Rex, Bronto and so on. Unrealistic

Now lets go to the player:

I can carry more than most wild Dinos and around 1000 kg. Unrealistic.
I can survive jumping down from pretty much any high and survive Rex bites with ease. Unrealistic.
I can outrun pretty much any wild Dino running around. Unrealistic.

See what I am trying to say? In PvP I dont need the "immersion" of staying alive against the wild. I had this early game and it was great, but now I want PvP and be able to get around. Even with 180 movement I still get hit by Snakes or Troodons here and there and then I go to sleep, because most of my points went into movement and not Fort or Meele.

And yes the Humans strong Point is the Brain, but dont Forget the Giga or Griffin over there is controlled by a Human with a brain as well. And most Player controlled Dinos you cant really take out one vs. one on foot (as it should be). You only have the option to run/hide. If you take that away as well you can basically just get of the Keyboard/Controller once a enemy Giga, Griffin, Wyvern etc. sees you and wait for the respawn timer to be down.

Well said Jabroni, to reduce the options available to players and try and force them into a narrow pocket of choices is a bad move. I can't imagine anything more boring and mundane then seeing every player use the same cookie cutter build because it's the "best" build since all other options are heavily handicapped. It's happened in other games after players demand certain stats be nerfed and capped.

14 minutes ago, Joebl0w13 said:

It only confirms that they are happy with it where it is. They play plenty of PVP.

to be honest, i doubt. i watched forums for long time and majority of staff say they play pve. if wildcard play pvp they would solve lag problem so far becouse its unplayable on official pvp server but in early morning :P

12 minutes ago, ForzaProiettile said:

It's already been nerfed it was 2% a few months ago now its 1.5% per skill point.

it should be less than 0.5% per level

6 minutes ago, Balteraxe said:

If you dont like the game. Play something else. No need to ruin it for others.

i like the game and i want it to be much better for majority of players. asking for change isnt becouse somebody dislike something, it can be becouse of improvment

1 minute ago, OttoGrunf said:

to be honest, i doubt. i watched forums for long time and majority of staff say they play pve. if wildcard play pvp they would solve lag problem so far becouse its unplayable on official pvp server but in early morning :P

i like the game and i want it to be much better for majority of players. asking for change isnt becouse somebody dislike something, it can be becouse of improvment

0.5% per level? In that case you might as well delete the stat and force everyone to be permanently in crawl mode less they too be fast for OttoGrunf to handle..

• Volunteer Moderator
1 minute ago, OttoGrunf said:

Feel free to doubt all you want. The "staff" you refer to are the moderators and community management. Neither of which develop the game.

1 minute ago, ForzaProiettile said:

0.5% per level? In that case you might as well delete the stat and force everyone to be permanently in crawl mode less they too be fast for OttoGrunf to handle..

ottogrunf have character with allmost all points into speed too and some in stamina and know first hand that its just op

1 minute ago, Joebl0w13 said:

Feel free to doubt all you want. The "staff" you refer to are the moderators and community management. Neither of which develop the game.

let me quote myself: if wildcard staff play pvp they would solve lag problem so far becouse its unplayable on official pvp server but in early morning :P

I fully get what you are saying, I've given the "the game isn't supposed to be a reality simulator" speech more times than you have forum posts.  :D

I'm fine with human speed remaining where it is, in it's currently completely unrealistic state, if the development team feels it's a good fit.

I will take issue with the statements made after yours though, that infer people who think humans should be slowed a bit more are trying to "force" everyone into cookie cutter molds.  LOL, actually quite the opposite is true.

It is the very definition of "cookie cutter" game play for everyone to just level movement speed and outrun turrets, other creatures, etc.  It's two dimensional and require zero thought or creativity, no diversity of play style.

Removing extreme human speed would force other options and strategies to be developed, either on various mounts or... if on foot... to be more clever that simply hitting the W key and leaving any worries behind.  The only thing people would be "forced" to do is become better players.  :P

The only developer, who cares for PvP is Jat. All others are roleplay or pve players, same as majority of this forum.

I can't get why pve players like so much these op features. I mean you don't need to worry about offline raid, actually no raid at all. You just need to place few gates and you are safe against all enemies. 

The only challenge you have are wild dinos and these dinos are no threat at all with actual speed of characters. 

We can use same words as developers said with the flying nerf, that when you tamed your first ptero, you skipped all content of the game, because you could easily fly over the map in few minutes and you didnt need to worry about anything.

Its same with speed on characters.

13 minutes ago, Ranger1 said:

It is the very definition of "cookie cutter" game play for everyone to just level movement speed and outrun turrets, other creatures, etc.  It's two dimensional and require zero thought or creativity, no diversity of play style.

Removing extreme human speed would force other options and strategies to be developed, either on various mounts or... if on foot... to be more clever that simply hitting the W key and leaving any worries behind.  The only thing people would be "forced" to do is become better players.  :P

Fully agree with this.

8 minutes ago, Ranger1 said:

I fully get what you are saying, I've given the "the game isn't supposed to be a reality simulator" speech more times than you have forum posts.  :D

I'm fine with human speed remaining where it is, in it's currently completely unrealistic state, if the development team feels it's a good fit.

I will take issue with the statements made after yours though, that infer people who think humans should be slowed a bit more are trying to "force" everyone into cookie cutter molds.  LOL, actually quite the opposite is true.

How about how crazily OP flyers still are in general vs land dinos? They remove lot of strategic options out of the game. How many players do you see walking their Anklo up to the top of a mountain as opposed to hopping on a Quetz? There is no disadvantage to doing this only pure gain. Better in every single way as opposed to walking it up.

There are a lot of things that are broken with this game that the devs seem to think is fine and that a lot of players "love". Players with high speed is a strategic option that sacrifices stats in a lot of other areas. High movement speed character are porcelain statues that punch like babies. If they are going to reduce movement speed then they should add in ballistic because shooting in this game is really OP, just point and click there is no bullet drop or skill required.

2 minutes ago, isu said:

The only developer, who cares for PvP is Jat. All others are roleplay or pve players, same as majority of this forum.

I can't get why pve players like so much these op features. I mean you don't need to worry about offline raid, actually no raid at all. You just need to place few gates and you are safe against all enemies. 

The only challenge you have are wild dinos and these dinos are no threat at all with actual speed of characters. 

We can use same words as developers said with the flying nerf, that when you tamed your first ptero, you skipped all content of the game, because you could easily fly over the map in few minutes and you didnt need to worry about anything.

Its same with speed on characters.

Movement speed is a godsend to smaller tribes/raider tribes who can't or don't have access to expensive dinos. If you take it away then the game becomes even more biased to larger tribes. It is already near impossible to hide even a 1x1 hut on a map for less then an hour without someone with certain GFX settings and a flyer finding it. 

The players complaining about movement speed seem to be those that play on PVP servers but prefer to farm then fight. They don't like losing to players that fight on foot when they are riding a 100% imprinted super dino with ascendant saddles yet still lose.

2 minutes ago, ForzaProiettile said:

How about how crazily OP flyers still are in general vs land dinos? They remove lot of strategic options out of the game. How many players do you see walking their Anklo up to the top of a mountain as opposed to hopping on a Quetz? There is no disadvantage to doing this only pure gain. Better in every single way as opposed to walking it up.

There are a lot of things that are broken with this game that the devs seem to think is fine and that a lot of players "love". Players with high speed is a strategic option that sacrifices stats in a lot of other areas. High movement speed character are porcelain statues that punch like babies. If they are going to reduce movement speed then they should add in ballistic because shooting in this game is really OP, just point and click there is no bullet drop or skill required.

About what stats are you talking about?

There are only 3 good stats: hp, weight, speed.

With 115 level, you can still have:

300 hp (enough, w/o armor you are dead anyway, doesnt matter if you have 300 or 500)

400 weight ( more than enough)

And 196 speed !!

Some people like also more stamina, so lets say 4 points to stam and you still have 190 speed.

No. Just no. It's not the movement speed that is the problem with auto turret targeting, it is the lag. Stop shifting the blame to places that it does not belong. I have a movement speed character and promise you that I have like no health because of it. If I get shot once, I'm dead because it does so much health damage I can no longer run anymore. I've never seen anyone use the lag to do what you stated, but can believe that it may happen on really bad servers. However, if the server is not lagging, then the turrets fire just fine. You need multiple turrets at different angles and it doesn't matter anymore either way. 

6 minutes ago, MandaBear said:

No. Just no. It's not the movement speed that is the problem with auto turret targeting, it is the lag. Stop shifting the blame to places that it does not belong. I have a movement speed character and promise you that I have like no health because of it. If I get shot once, I'm dead because it does so much health damage I can no longer run anymore. I've never seen anyone use the lag to do what you stated, but can believe that it may happen on really bad servers. However, if the server is not lagging, then the turrets fire just fine. You need multiple turrets at different angles and it doesn't matter anymore either way. 

To be very honest with you, the turret part of the debate doesn't bother me much at all.  However, it makes my right eye twitch a little when I see players easily outrunning Raptors and passing Galli's on the straight-a-way.  :S

7 minutes ago, isu said:

About what stats are you talking about?

There are only 3 good stats: hp, weight, speed.

With 115 level, you can still have:

300 hp (enough, w/o armor you are dead anyway, doesnt matter if you have 300 or 500)

400 weight ( more than enough)

And 196 speed !!

Some people like also more stamina, so lets say 4 points to stam and you still have 190 speed.

190% isn't even that fast. I used to have a 268% recon char back in the day. Now that was really moving fast..

I agree that some of the stats are pointless such as food, water and arguably fort and oxygen. That should be fixed but not at the expense of other stats.

1 minute ago, Ranger1 said:

To be very honest with you, the turret part of the debate doesn't bother me much at all.  It makes my eye right eye twitch a little when I see players easily outrunning Raptors and passing Galli's on the straight-a-way.  :S

But your profile says your a moderator and therefore the category you play the game in ends with an E.

4 minutes ago, ForzaProiettile said:

190% isn't even that fast. I used to have a 268% recon char back in the day. Now that was really moving fast..

I agree that some of the stats are pointless such as food, water and arguably fort and oxygen. That should be fixed but not at the expense of other stats.

Factor in Swamp Fever and Focal Chili and you'll be just as fast.

37 minutes ago, Ranger1 said:

so you are ok with insane speeds, but you think that removing insane player speed would benefit pvp? i do agree with second part :D

20 minutes ago, ForzaProiettile said:

Movement speed is a godsend to smaller tribes/raider tribes who can't or don't have access to expensive dinos. If you take it away then the game becomes even more biased to larger tribes. It is already near impossible to hide even a 1x1 hut on a map for less then an hour without someone with certain GFX settings and a flyer finding it. 

The players complaining about movement speed seem to be those that play on PVP servers but prefer to farm then fight. They don't like losing to players that fight on foot when they are riding a 100% imprinted super dino with ascendant saddles yet still lose.

no small tribe waste much points into speed. members of large established tribe make seperate characters for griefing, upload great armors and a lot of c4 for them and than grief small people. and i do prefer to fight on foot and with melee weapons ;)

18 minutes ago, MandaBear said:

members of large established tribe make seperate characters for griefing, upload great armors, no need for helth upgrade and a lot of c4 for them and than grief small people.

Archived