Server Cap Exploitation PVE

Azmeaiel

2 hours ago, Azmeaiel said:

problem is - exploit is using server limit, not personal or tribe, as stated in OP.

Well with patch 765.5 on  box they stated "You can no longer download a Dino onto your server if you're at the tribe cap or (PvE) if the server is at the tame cap" so I assumed it was fixed on PC as well. Maybe not.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The game has many problems such as dino capping and pillaring that exist because the game was built as a sandbox rather than a game.

To fix these issues would require rebuilding fundamental systems from tbe ground up.   WC isn't going to do that, and even if they tried, it wouldn't be implemented until 2019 or 2020.

Maybe when they make Ark 2, they'll look at the flaws in the way they implemented building, spawning, cross server play, etc and they'll design the technology to do these things properly instead of trying to implement them on the fly.

In the meantime, you're better off just trying to understand and work with the system as it is.  Every time WC has tried to fix these issues, it's a band aid fix that makes things no better, just with a different flavor of aggravation.

31 minutes ago, bigfishrob said:

LOL and what does that have to do with dino cap sir??? u think those dinos magically wont count bc ppl not online?

Majority of players play unofficials and singleplayer, alt characters - none of those affect dino cap in any way. And yeah... i hadn't thought through about timezones when i replied, but my main point still stands - not all of those purchases result in increased strain on dino cap. PvP servers also self-regulate dino-caps every now and then.

I agree capping is an issue but even if the graphics were like Minecraft eventually capping would happen. 

I disagree to the compliant WC doesn't care and they never listen, I've sent a few tickets in and had a reply to all tickets within 3 days, I suggest not using general and actually make a ticket you'd be surprised what can be accomplished using the right channels.

I also disagree WC us in it for the money they are more worried about dlc, if that were true they would have halted everything up get aberration out, which they didn't I am actually seeing increased updates with bug fixes and more features, if you think 60 USD is to much money when the majority of people have over 2000+ hours.. I say play time vs money the game should be more expensive.

I get why people get mad to the above, I really do. But nothing will ever be accomplished if you don't use the correct channels are just complain about it on forums. If you really want the change then use the correct channels.

One last thing, I completely agree that hosting a server is a viable option you can't blame wc for what the engine can't handle you can only blame them for not using a less detailed engine.

it WOULD have been nice had wildcard made it clear from the start that the game is meant to be played on dedicated servers and that WC-ran ones are merely testing grounds or a sneak preview of the real actual game that you can play later on should you decide to rent or join a server of your own. it makes total sense- there's precedent for games like that, and defining them as such from the beginning takes care of the pervasive problem where a non-insignificant part of the playerbase erroneously thinks that WC-ran servers are the only "real" ones worth playing on (when in truth it's the exact opposite). it's nothing like the difference playing WoW on Blizzard servers versus playing WoW on Thickrod's Private Yiffstation, which is what a lot of players seem to assume. the mmorpg-esque "official" "y'kno reeeal servers" mindset is what leads to $60 wyverns being sold on facebook as well as selling caps.

since wildcard did not do this from the beginning, it's a bit tricky if not impossible to transition into it, but making legacy servers available for download and encouraging players to continue playing on them is a step in the right direction. i can only hope they continue that course and don't give in to players who neeeeeed to keep their giant metal cube full of purple carbonemys around forever and ever and ever.

7 minutes ago, hazelfraz said:

I agree capping is an issue but even if the graphics were like Minecraft eventually capping would happen. 

I disagree to the compliant WC doesn't care and they never listen, I've sent a few tickets in and had a reply to all tickets within 3 days, I suggest not using general and actually make a ticket you'd be surprised what can be accomplished using the right channels.

I also disagree WC us in it for the money they are more worried about dlc, if that were true they would have halted everything up get aberration out, which they didn't I am actually seeing increased updates with bug fixes and more features, if you think 60 USD is to much money when the majority of people have over 2000+ hours.. I say play time vs money the game should be more expensive.

I get why people get mad to the above, I really do. But nothing will ever be accomplished if you don't use the correct channels are just complain about it on forums. If you really want the change then use the correct channels.

One last thing, I completely agree that hosting a server is a viable option you can't blame wc for what the engine can't handle you can only blame them for not using a less detailed engine.

I have had multiple tickets and been through 2 char deletions so i know wc customer service well

12 hours ago, KanedaSyndrome said:

Have a dino cap per person of 10 dinos max.

That's a terrible idea. Sorry.

Daily on Ark I use a Doedic, Anky, Lightining Wyvern, Rex, Griffin, Bear, Saber, Mammoth, Ice Wyvern, and Beaver and that is mostly just for tasks to upkeep the base/a little exploring. Now how am I supposed to get kibble for imprinting? How am I supposed to fight the bosses? What should be my goal each day since I have no more dino's I can have?

I guess I could get rid of the Ice  Wyvern since it's main purpose is to explore the snow biome and counter Wild Ice Wyvern's and since I have no more space for a dino it doesn't make sense to get another ice egg right? Ok so now I have a space available. Bear is a great fiber collector but also a taming mount as it is tanky but I have a sickle so since I won't really be taming anymore I can get rid of the Bear. Saber follows the same suit.

I use the Griffin for different air travel not even to really get eggs so it's gone. I use the Anky to collect metal. I may need to hold onto it as nothing comes close to what it can do metal wise and I'll definitely need metal to make a lot of the items for end game. Doedic is great for stone but since it can't do too much else I will get rid of it too and change it out for a Mantis which I will buy with metal from the Anky then I can get rid of the Anky. It'll take me more trips to get the same amount (stone and metal) but it'll be faster so cool and since I can't tame anymore I'll have time.

I can get rid of the Mammoth since the Beaver harvest's wood as well (though not nearly as efficiently. Say what you will but give me a 145 tamed Mammoth over a raised and imprinted Beaver) but to make Rex saddles I'll need the Beaver as a smithy can't hold the materials for ASC quality.

I guess I could hold the Lightning Wyvern for air travel but I have a ton of time on my hand since I won't be taming so I can traverse everything on foot so it can go too.

So what am I down to? A Rex, a Mantis, and a Beaver. Sweet 7 more dino's I can have. The end game is running bosses so that leaves me with 6 rex's and a yuty. So then I'd be taking 7 Rex's and a Yuty into the boss fights. I should be able to do some of the Gamma bosses with those but I start trying to do Beta or above I will lose most of them if not all of them. 

The entire game now becomes a breeding simulator. I'll build up a stockpile of eggs for the inevitable boss losses. Go into every cave to get the artifacts on foot since I just don't have the cap for a cave mount. Let me get my saber back and go spelunking for a month or so to build up a big stock pile of artifacts before I get rid of it. 

This is now one of the most boring games in existence. I don't want to play Ark: Own Some Rex's. 

What's on Netflix?

3 hours ago, Meatmelt said:

You can't fight bosses solo with only 10 dinos, but maybe a cap to 50-60 would be enough. For sure the cap has to be 'per player' and not 'per tribe'

This I am alright with to a degree though again it limits a lot of trade options, a key component of PvE. With this I'd at least be able to have a few cool vanity mounts, water mounts, plus what is needed to fight the Boss'. It's probably right around where my two man tribe is currently (Think we are at 134 right now). 

It eventually gets boring with this though too. Just a constant stream of Rex's and that is with killing 3/4 of what hatches.

I think tribe cap should be implemented again to 200. We never had a problem with dino cap on Legacy even with a very active server (40 to 60 active players at a time daily). 500 is just overkill. 

On 15/11/2017 at 12:34 PM, Azmeaiel said:

Might help reading the thread there buddy, nobody can actually play the game as intended and there are exploits using the cap, this thread is not about 'people mad at not having land'.

I don't know why I have to read something when you don't bother reading what I have posted.

"Nobody" yeah man go to lie to another place please.

I didn't know that Everybody plays on Official PVE, I think that this is something that you have chosen without a gun pointing your head.

I could play without cap in an unofficial server, or as singleplayer all I want. So no, it's not affecting everybody dude.

Regards.

20 hours ago, VIKAS said:

I don't know why I have to read something when you don't bother reading what I have posted.

"Nobody" yeah man go to lie to another place please.

I didn't know that Everybody plays on Official PVE, I think that this is something that you have chosen without a gun pointing your head.

I could play without cap in an unofficial server, or as singleplayer all I want. So no, it's not affecting everybody dude.

Regards.

no lying, 'exploiting the server cap' and 'having land ' as in the origional titles of the post and its content are too entirly different things. Assuming your a troll here.

Just now, Azmeaiel said:

no lying, 'exploiting the server cap' and 'having land ' as in the origional titles of the post and its content are too entirly different things. Assuming your a troll here.

Azmeail you are right about all and I don't ok?.

I was only trying that two users that were bashing each other with pillaring and dinos, and land grab discussion don't get your thread locked because I think that is very interesting what you were trying to said.

I'm very sorry about all the things really. And now i gonna stop posting anymore because I have a strike today for "hijacking" threads and I don't really understand it.

I only expect that your opinion will be heard by devs.

Thanks for all your effort, and sorry for all my faults.

Regards.

On 11/16/2017 at 1:16 AM, Dustrider said:

I have a question...What is a PVE mega-tribe? I play PVP and I can think of a million reasons for them to exist in PVP but I cannot really think of a good reason for them to exist in PVE.

Unfortunatly, they exist simply because they can, we have same issues with large, often exploitative tribes on pve as pvp.

I just can't help but feel like this is the players fault, and not WC. Maybe I'm looking at it wrong but here's how I see it.

We used to have cap of 200. (Maybe 250 idk) people/tribes would hit the cap, feel they needed more room. Okay ..

So then they made alt tribes. 95% of the reasons I ever heard from friends was A: egg farm. B: abnormal breeding habits. The other friends did it for really no reason other than I like these Dino's. (PvE btw)

So then WC says hey let's make it easier on the players and allow 500. Which, is what used to be two tribes worth of Dino's. Just now, in one tribe. Yay! No more switching alts!!

But then, we used to not ever really hear about server cap. Atleast not on Xbox, I remember reading about it from PC from time to time.

So it seems, the players are taking every inch of freedom WC gives with Dino's. Some even abusing it.

If your gf/wife/sister/mother/bf/husband/brother/father/ grand parents whhhhooo ever, bakes 30 cookies and tells you, you can eat as many as you want.. then you hurry up and eat them all, not saving any for anyone else, or for later/tomorrow/Saturday/Thanksgiving what ever..

Who's fault is it? Really tho?

If they open more servers.. the only thing that's gonna happen, is all the already over sized tribes are going to over flow into those new servers. Build right back up in a month to cap.

It's us. It's all us and not them guys. Just my opinion tho..

6 minutes ago, anubis3691 said:

I just can't help but feel like this is the players fault, and not WC. Maybe I'm looking at it wrong but here's how I see it.

We used to have cap of 200. (Maybe 250 idk) people/tribes would hit the cap, feel they needed more room. Okay ..

So then they made alt tribes. 95% of the reasons I ever heard from friends was A: egg farm. B: abnormal breeding habits. The other friends did it for really no reason other than I like these Dino's. (PvE btw)

So then WC says hey let's make it easier on the players and allow 500. Which, is what used to be two tribes worth of Dino's. Just now, in one tribe. Yay! No more switching alts!!

But then, we used to not ever really hear about server cap. Atleast not on Xbox, I remember reading about it from PC from time to time.

So it seems, the players are taking every inch of freedom WC gives with Dino's. Some even abusing it.

If your gf/wife/sister/mother/bf/husband/brother/father/ grand parents whhhhooo ever, bakes 30 cookies and tells you, you can eat as many as you want.. then you hurry up and eat them all, not saving any for anyone else, or for later/tomorrow/Saturday/Thanksgiving what ever..

Who's fault is it? Really tho?

If they open more servers.. the only thing that's gonna happen, is all the already over sized tribes are going to over flow into those new servers. Build right back up in a month to cap.

It's us. It's all us and not them guys. Just my opinion tho..

Main problem on pc is that they have basicly said legacy is being wiped , then released a very very tiny ammount of servers to compensate, ie 2 to replace the 30 or so oceanic servers taken offline and being taken down. Nobody wants to play on the legacy write-offs and everyone wants a piece of the new servers to start re-building and re-breeding, or to just start the game. Legacy should have been taken down and re-released as new servers on release when this wipe was announced, not the mess we have at the moment of ark: are we off cap lets tame a lv 5 lystro quickly.

Main problem on pc is that they have basicly said legacy is being wiped , then released a very very tiny ammount of servers to compensate, ie 2 to replace the 30 or so oceanic servers taken offline and being taken down. Nobody wants to play on the legacy write-offs and everyone wants a piece of the new servers to start re-building and re-breeding, or to just start the game. Legacy should have been taken down and re-released as new servers on release when this wipe was announced, not the mess we have at the moment of ark: are we off cap lets tame a lv 5 lystro quickly.
Yes I can see where the servers released vs servers wiped is playing into it as you identified. That part we should blame them for I agree. That's thier bad.

With that in mind, I hope there's a good reason. Something that we don't know about yet maybe. Never hurts to hope.

As far as the launch wipe.. I was all for it the whole time I played. I wanted everything to just be wiped and fresh starts for everyone.
I had a very big base with a ton of amazing Dino's. But I knew things would be more fun for me, to get that fresh challenge back (what little can be offered from pve lol. I'm not ballsy enough for PvP) and also allow all the new players the same chance.

8 minutes ago, anubis3691 said:

Yes I can see where the servers released vs servers wiped is playing into it as you identified. That part we should blame them for I agree. That's thier bad.

With that in mind, I hope there's a good reason. Something that we don't know about yet maybe. Never hurts to hope.

As far as the launch wipe.. I was all for it the whole time I played. I wanted everything to just be wiped and fresh starts for everyone.
I had a very big base with a ton of amazing Dino's. But I knew things would be more fun for me, to get that fresh challenge back (what little can be offered from pve lol. I'm not ballsy enough for PvP) and also allow all the new players the same chance.

problem is, a wipe is only good if theres a discrepancy due to exploits and changes, it doesnt give anyone at all a 'fresh start' in fact its been a bigger cluster due to new players vs mega tribes who will own servers within the hour whatever the outcome. And for over a year there was a post saying they would not wipe legasy and 'had plenty of funds to release new servers on release' which suddenly disappeared a month before the post on legasy being wiped turned up.

However

My problem is their not just being straight up honest with customers weather due to bad internal communication or a fairly deliberate glossing over by PR.

problem is, a wipe is only good if theres a discrepancy due to exploits and changes, it doesnt give anyone at all a 'fresh start' in fact its been a bigger cluster due to new players vs mega tribes who will own servers within the hour whatever the outcome. And for over a year there was a post saying they would not wipe legasy and 'had plenty of funds to release new servers on release' which suddenly disappeared a month before the post on legasy being wiped turned up.
However
My problem is their not just being straight up honest with customers weather due to bad internal communication or a fairly deliberate glossing over by PR.
So, what do you think would be a good way to fix it, make it better for majority, if not everyone? Again I don't think simply more servers would really help as the kettle would just boil over into them..
A player cap sounds good, but imo it would have to be account, or even ip capped otherwise back to the ole alt days..
Lol I think we should all, including myself learn to eat less cookies.. maybe less cookies and more servers. Who knows!

As a side note, I've been patient for aberration hoping that many people would flood those servers so I could finally have a spot on a Ragnarok server.. I'm starting to feel like that isn't going to happen tho :(

• Volunteer Moderator
9 minutes ago, Azmeaiel said:

And for over a year there was a post saying they would not wipe legasy and 'had plenty of funds to release new servers on release' which suddenly disappeared a month before the post on legasy being wiped turned up.

Except that's completely incorrect. The initial statement was that Wildcard would be wiping at launch. After some outburst about this stance it was changed to "we won't be wiping servers, but will be repurposing underperforming ones". Then as launch came closer that's the only time ever that division to "legacy" and "new" was actually made concrete. They screwed up and not all the repurposed servers would be considered as underperforming (as some people report there being up to 30 players online at average on some of the repurposed servers), but they still kept to the word of not "wiping, but repurposing".

You can't really moan and groan about lies being told when you're doing that exact thing you're complaining about.

12 minutes ago, ciabattaroll said:

Except that's completely incorrect. The initial statement was that Wildcard would be wiping at launch. After some outburst about this stance it was changed to "we won't be wiping servers, but will be repurposing underperforming ones". Then as launch came closer that's the only time ever that division to "legacy" and "new" was actually made concrete. They screwed up and not all the repurposed servers would be considered as underperforming (as some people report there being up to 30 players online at average on some of the repurposed servers), but they still kept to the word of not "wiping, but repurposing".

You can't really moan and groan about lies being told when you're doing that exact thing you're complaining about.

ok, what is the 'official reason' as to why, for example, oceanic servers have been replaced with 2 servers and are constantly capped since first week or so? And how is it a 'lie' when you basicly just said the post i was talking about exists....

Archived