sequel ARK: Survival Evolved 2 ?

Supertoto

17 minutes ago, edandbunny said:

Bingo, my feelings are exactly the same. While I doubt it would ever be as big as say WOW, due to high learning curve and the large time requirements, It could easily match EVE Online's success, if not exceed it.  But that can only happen if the WC Devs learn to communicate with their players, and then deal with the issues those players are having. Sleep able beds did nothing to fix lag, server cap, etc. etc.

So you are saying that your thoughts for ARK are going to a pay to play service like WOW and EVE or worst, grind your "right" to play the game that you have bought, or as the EVE example be locked in I don't know "Trikes" forever.

I really expect that the Devs don't listen ever to folks like you.

Regards.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, VIKAS said:

So you are saying that your thoughts for ARK are going to a pay to play service like WOW and EVE or worst, grind your "right" to play the game that you have bought, or as the EVE example be locked in I don't know "Trikes" forever.

I really expect that the Devs don't listen ever to folks like you.

Regards.

No, I said nothing like that. How about looking at how long those two games have been around. Even with your valid comment regarding EVE, its a bit of a niche game but its been around for over a decade and has a very dedicated fan base. Ark at the rate it is going will not likely make it past two or three years at best, and the WC Devs seem to be doing their best to chase off dedicated support.

Just now, edandbunny said:

No, I said nothing like that. How about looking at how long those two games have been around. Even with your valid comment regarding EVE, its a bit of a niche game but its been around for over a decade and has a very dedicated fan base. Ark at the rate it is going will not likely make it past two or three years at best, and the WC Devs seem to be doing their best to chase off dedicated support.

I know what you have said, and that's why I have quoted you. You could have choosen better examples of games but you only have pointed two that have subscription model.

That's my only problem with your statement nothing more. I really hate the two examples that you have given and I really expect that ARK stays away from that financial and productive model, they also have one of the more big communities but full of what? scammers, and people that only want to scam you from the beginning to the end, because another one has scammed them and the cycle repeats itself forever.

If you talk about numbers, that  is also that I don't really understand. I see steam numbers and I don't really see how the fanbase is declining, indeed it seems to has been the same for a long time.

It really doesn't matter it's only my opinion about all of this, I'm a little burned with the announcement of ARK 2 because I simply don't think is the better moment to make such statements, even more with the aberration delay.

At the end of the day we only have our opinion and to them it doesn't to seem to have the same weight that it has before.

Regards.

Ark 2,  it will be the game we all wanted this time around.  they would have to spend years to get this version of ark to where we want it,  but a new ark 2 they can start from scratch and the code won't be so messed up,  so they will actually be able to fix things that don't work as intended,  plus there must be hundreds of things that they wanted to add to ark but it's too late,  now they can.  

Personally I would love to see digging in ark 2,  and some way to level out terrain,  I would 100% buy it then.

3 hours ago, SmokeyB said:

Ark 2,  it will be the game we all wanted this time around.  they would have to spend years to get this version of ark to where we want it,  but a new ark 2 they can start from scratch and the code won't be so messed up,  so they will actually be able to fix things that don't work as intended,  plus there must be hundreds of things that they wanted to add to ark but it's too late,  now they can.  

Personally I would love to see digging in ark 2,  and some way to level out terrain,  I would 100% buy it then.

Yes voxels please.

3 hours ago, SmokeyB said:

Smokey strikes again... good post m8. New engine, updated graphics, little less messed up... this game has huge potential and considering there's only like 25 of them working on it they have done ok

5 hours ago, SmokeyB said:

Ark 2,  it will be the game we all wanted this time around. they would have to spend years to get this version of ark to where we want it,  but a new ark 2 they can start from scratch and the code won't be so messed up,  so they will actually be able to fix things that don't work as intended,  plus there must be hundreds of things that they wanted to add to ark but it's too late,  now they can.  

While I don't doubt the devs have learned quite a bit over the years of working on ARK, saying that ARK 2 would be the game we wanted this time around is a bit of salt in the wound, no?

Also, I would hope that if they learned anything at all it would be to keep the feature creep to manageable levels, at least until the game has a solid base to build upon. Otherwise, we will find ourselves a decade down the road with a post saying "Ark 3,  it will be the game we all wanted this time around."  ;)

Ok, so I will need to break my rule (avoid talking about other games) to go into this. 

At this point, the simple mention of a sequel is a bad idea. As many of you have pointed out, the game is not finished, by a long shot. This past weekend, my friend and I went Megalosaurus hunting. I was knocked out on the lower south cave by a spider below the ground. It was glitched. On the central cave, several animals are still spawning in / below the walls, this is unacceptable at this point. It should have been addressed along other issues.

Ark is indeed fantastic, I love the dinos, setting and yes, the official expansions and their contents. Another big positive is that I can run my server with the settings / adjustments I want, without fear of having the developer unplug the game like the average MMO/F2P market. As the Ark project currently is, I am satisfied with the business model they employed, I don't do microtransactions at all, and subscriptions is dangerous for anything other than Blizzard. I played Warhammer Online only to have EA unplug it, all hours wasted into something that never was. This is just one example, EA alone has several of those (Battleforge anyone?). Wildcard gave me control over my game, and I thank them dearly for it, its now a core thing for me regarding the survival trend. The ability to be independent, which warrants my respect and money. 

About a possible ARK 2: 

The problem with this line of thought as opposed to additional expansions / content beyond the current 3 is that it can divide the community. Ark can not run this risk, its success is heavily dependent on its community and their videos / blogs. 

1. Base customers
    1. Some could migrate to a new installment.
    2. Most will not, especially not at release or another Early Access when cash is most dire. (my forecast, I for one am not going thru that EA stuff again)
  2. New customers
    1. With a new release, improved ways to approaching the challenges that Wildcard has now faced and learned do differently. New players could join in to check it out, but with a divided community and its inevitable toxicity this may throw off some new players.
  3. Content divided
    1. We now have lots and lots of content, tools, animals, etc... Why divide this? I would not accept anything less than 100% of the existing content on such new game. A practical example is Blood Bowl 1 vs 2 (Warhammer spin off), I personally don`t own either games, its not my thing, however what is interesting is that there was a lot more races in the first game something around 9-11 races/factions. They made the sequel and then the went back to something like 4 factions. Please forgive me, the numbers aren't exact, its been a while. The point is the community didn't supported the same way they did for the original. Its the feeling of setback and lack of inherited content.
    2. Again, Warhammer 40k Dawn of War. The 1st title had 9 factions with all the expansions, the second game had less than half (with its 2 expansions). It did have new twists and mechanics which worked well for the game, but they never built the second game up to the amount of factions from the first (the arena being the exception but its a different dynamic from the main draw). DOW3 came and... on a second thought, there is no DOW3, its something else.
  4.  Ark's Graphics still stand
    1. While Ark is by no means a For Honor/Assassin's Creed Origins graphic looking game, considering how much is going on it is still one of the best looking survival games out there. Some animals do look like plastic, but this is more a design choice than a technical one. Personally I look at the Megalosaurus, the sleeping animation, how it sounds, looks and it is pretty cool. So, the pitch for graphics is not that much of a drive at this time. 
  5. Epic Games with the Unreal Engine
    1. It is no secret that Epic has noticed the survival games market, inevitably adjusting the engine to include or be more friendly to this market, however at this point there is not justification to star over from scratch. 
  6. Ark could use additional expansions or general content
    1. This is were my technical limitations influence negatively my ability to comment. I don't know it is technically possible to do certain things, but since each expansion is its own map I imagine additional content that can interact across all maps is still possible. Expansions are kinda like sequels, but they preserve all historical content and experiences. Building on the existing world is what WoW has done so masterfully. I like The Island very much, but Scorched Earth definitely feels like a better overall map, its performance is also better (likely because there is less going on). My guess is that Wildcard will become more efficient with each added expansion and provide new experiences even they didn't think about when they started. 
    2. Since we now know for a fact that SPOILER
      Spoiler

the Arks are in space, why not set an expansion in space with spaceships? Dino abduction anyone? 

I know it sounds crazy, but that is just to point out the liberties that can be taken with each expansion. Ark's lore is expansive and open, unlike other franchises they have the liberty to go pretty much anywhere, this is a huge advantage a franchise.
  7. There is no logic to move to a sequel right now
    1. The community has its points when it comes to certain issues, be it technical prioritization or unfulfilled schedule commitments. Ark 2 would inevitably suffer a credibility check from the start which could impact short to mid term growth (financial growth especially).
    2. I am not really motivated to move all my hard earned things and bases to a new fresh experience. The problem with a grinding gameplay is that players become that much attached to things and thus a lot harder to start over. sometimes people do start over, I doubt most will or again, it will take longer for them to feel ready for the new thing.
    3. Expansions are a great way to build on this universe and keep cash flow. The Island is a huge game, it has 100s of hours going for it, it takes time to "beat it". But Scorched Earth is much smaller in scope, less unique creatures to tame while still providing enough novelty to be a game in its own right. The idea is to make sure players can "beat the expansion" by the time of the next release.  With so many games losing appeal to loot boxes and other crap, its a great way to stand out in a crowd as an alternative and gain market share. 

10 hours ago, SmokeyB said:

Unreal Engine 4 doesn't support terraforming so unless they change engines its extremely unlikely you will be able to terraform in ARK anytime soon.

4 minutes ago, ForzaProiettile said:

Unreal Engine 4 doesn't support terraforming so unless they change engines its extremely unlikely you will be able to terraform in ARK anytime soon.

I played games with terraforming, and honestly I didn't like the experience very much. Its one thing to terra form a cube world, but other titles have done it and it turned out to be pretty bad gameplay design. 

I do share the need to make a flat terrain so I don't have to rely so much on pillars all the time...

10 minutes ago, Martellus said:

I played games with terraforming, and honestly I didn't like the experience very much. Its one thing to terra form a cube world, but other titles have done it and it turned out to be pretty bad gameplay design. 

I do share the need to make a flat terrain so I don't have to rely so much on pillars all the time...

One of the main issues with terraforming is lag. Quite often the more people terraform on a server the more lag it generates because players have to load all that data in.

Guest UNST3RBLICH

Maybe a sequel is something that -may- be plausible a long ways down the road, but before that happens I would hope the -current- version of the game would receive a lot more optimization and polishing to make it feel like a fully functioning and fully released game.

While a lot of great stuff has come into fruition by the efforts of this project and the workshop community, I think it would be have a lot more rewarding to stick with the original concept (and map) and finish that out with an actual story instead of sidetracking into picking up new player created maps and having to devote thousands of hours and resources into converting and fixing them, not to mention things like Primitive +.

What started as a really brilliant development essentially got caught up in trying to give the community everything they wanted, including multi-platform support (to the extend of even Mac and LInux platforms that had to be developed) and got pulled in too many different directions.

So if nothing else, I hope a sequel and even the thought of one can be tabled until the current version is finished and is a well oiled machine.

6 minutes ago, UNST3RBLICH said:

So if nothing else, I hope a sequel and even the thought of one can be tabled until the current version is finished and is a well oiled machine.

As unfortunate as it is, I suspect ARK is about as oiled as it will ever be. 

I would not even be surprised to hear there is more definitive talk of a sequel before the 3rd DLC is released.

Guest UNST3RBLICH
7 minutes ago, Tanek said:

As unfortunate as it is, I suspect ARK is about as oiled as it will ever be. 

I would not even be surprised to hear there is more definitive talk of a sequel before the 3rd DLC is released.

I'm personally not even interested in the 2nd DLC; it's too much of a campy sci-fi theme for me. Some of the features in the trailer are cool, but that's really about it.

What I would really like to see is an actual wrap up to some semblance of a story instead of the current "Here's the end game content that instead of really answering anything produces about 10x more questions".

• Wildcard Community
Just now, UNST3RBLICH said:

I'm personally not even interested in the 3rd DLC; it's too much of a campy sci-fi theme for me. Some of the features in the trailer are cool, but that's really about it.

What I would really like to see is an actual wrap up to some semblance of a story instead of the current "Here's the end game content that instead of really answering anything produces about 10x more questions".

We haven't even made a trailer for the third expansion yet.

Guest UNST3RBLICH
3 minutes ago, Eli said:

We haven't even made a trailer for the third expansion yet.

Sorry, was referring to the 2nd DLC. Corrected.

I'll probably try it out eventually, but I'm not in a rush because I like the more low-tier and low tech style of Ark. I'm hoping Primitive + has made a lot of progress over the last year and want to revisit that soon as well.

There's also the matter of Scorched Earth being released as DLC, then all of the content being included in the new Ragnarok map anyway. I don't want to do that again if I don't have to.

23 hours ago, SmokeyB said:

I would love that!! But what I long for the most, is a DINOSAUR gamenot a fantasy game with a whole bunch of made up creatures. What I loved so much about ARK when it started was the semblance of sticking to reality... then the bosses, but ok, they were bosses, but then Scorched Earth and they totally crossed that line :(

Archived