sequel ARK: Survival Evolved 2 ?

Supertoto

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Final Release game represents early beta quality and core game is being neglected by focusing entire team to work on DLC and they think about sequels... WC ought to hold its horses for once. Knowing how "good" their optimisation work is, I bet the sequel game won't be able to hit 1080p 60fps on high end gaming cards as well. 

13 minutes ago, jaypak said:

current game is not even finished yet and thats not even talking about dlc,,, and you want to start paying for ark 2?

1 minute ago, Lewiatan said:

Final Release game represents early beta quality and core game is being neglected by focusing entire team to work on DLC and they think about sequels... WC ought to hold its horses for once. Knowing how "good" their optimisation work is, I bet the sequel game won't be able to hit 1080p 60fps on high end gaming cards as well. 

Do you guys have a version of the quoted statement with more context or something? 

26 minutes ago, LouSpowells said:

Do you guys have a version of the quoted statement with more context or something? 

Everyone can tell the game premiere was rushed. Game still needs Quality of Live overhaul for all core gameplay mechanics, but they simply did not make it, because the team was too much focused on redundant features, that people got bored off after 10 minutes in the end (For example, a toilet or a camera, or a  lot dinosaurs that were released in EA).

There are still a lot of bugs in this game, freezes, dramatic fps drops, weird glitches, the most primitive AI I have ever seen in my gaming experience and so on. The game needed half of year in beta working only on bugs and optimisation, but devs spent maybe a month or 2 trying to fix as many bugs as possible before THE FINAL deadline. My guess is investors got tired of waiting.

Why do I think entire team moved on to work on DLC? It's my educated guess. WC is around 25 people and it's still severly understaffed. For last 2,5 months there were no serious updates for the main game, only very small things or Ragnarok updates. They delayed all Quality of Life updates after Abberation DLC release. They are even more delayed now, due to postponed DLC's premiere. In the latest crunch they admitted they are quiet due to Abberation development. It's clear almost everyone at the studio work on Abberation.

1 hour ago, Supertoto said:

ARK 2: The Return of the Dodo ?

From Jesse:
“I think, you know, as we get down the line, over the next year or two, ARK needs to have a sequel at some point. It’s definitely gonna be on our minds about when it’s the right time to something like that.”

Sure sounds like a great idea if only WC lets another company take over and work on ARK 2 .. (cause the "final "game its self cant be worse then what the current devs produced.. right ? )

p.s. IM not hating on the devs or WC.

1 minute ago, RxBilly said:

Sure sounds like a great idea if only WC lets another company take over and work on ARK 2 .. (cause the "final "game its self cant be worse then what the current devs produced.. right ? )

p.s. IM not hating on the devs or WC.

For me ARK is a wonderful idea and huge potential wasted by terrible project management and overambitious devs.

• Wildcard Community

We don't have any plans for a sequel right now. But as has been stated, with the unprecedented popularity of the game, it would be a disservice to not expand on that through a sequel.

People may ask why expand through a sequel rather than more expansion ARKs like Scorched Earth or Aberration or the yet unrevealed third expansion, and the answer to that is simply a matter of efficiency. Our developers have learned a great deal when it comes to game development through the years of developing ARK as well as from handling porting the systems over to consoles; a good amount of work done has been applying those new fixes to old code and trying to make sure that the whole thing doesn't put buttered toast onto a cat in the process. With a sequel, development could be further streamlined and made more efficient by not having to isolate old functions and trying to make them compatible with new discoveries. This could hopefully turn things around, as it's no big secret that our release estimations are less accurate than an imperial storm trooper shooting at rebels.

2 minutes ago, Eli said:

We don't have any plans for a sequel right now. But as has been stated, with the unprecedented popularity of the game, it would be a disservice to not expand on that through a sequel.

People may ask why expand through a sequel rather than more expansion ARKs like Scorched Earth or Aberration or the yet unrevealed third expansion, and the answer to that is simply a matter of efficiency. Our developers have learned a great deal when it comes to game development through the years of developing ARK as well as from handling porting the systems over to consoles; a good amount of work done has been applying those new fixes to old code and trying to make sure that the whole thing doesn't put buttered toast onto a cat in the process. With a sequel, development could be further streamlined and made more efficient by not having to isolate old functions and trying to make them compatible with new discoveries. This could hopefully turn things around, as it's no big secret that our release estimations are less accurate than an imperial storm trooper shooting at rebels.

Right on .. 

3 hours ago, Eli said:

I can honestly accept what you're saying here. Let's be frank. Ark was groundbreaking, but in my *totally uneducated and possibly completely incorrect opinion* I think that the reason the game can't be fixed is that the developers can't just completely trash the code it was originally written on and their attempts to patch just aren't working. Maybe knowing what they know now, the next thing they put out will be what Ark should have been. I'll definitely buy it, because despite all its short comings this is still my favorite game.

Alright, let the sh*t storm begin......

4 hours ago, Lewiatan said:

For me ARK is a wonderful idea and huge potential wasted by terrible project management and overambitious devs.

Bingo, my feelings are exactly the same. While I doubt it would ever be as big as say WOW, due to high learning curve and the large time requirements, It could easily match EVE Online's success, if not exceed it.  But that can only happen if the WC Devs learn to communicate with their players, and then deal with the issues those players are having. Sleep able beds did nothing to fix lag, server cap, etc. etc.

42 minutes ago, KrakenOverlord said:

I can honestly accept what you're saying here. Let's be frank. Ark was groundbreaking, but in my *totally uneducated and possibly completely incorrect opinion* I think that the reason the game can't be fixed is that the developers can't just completely trash the code it was originally written on and their attempts to patch just aren't working. Maybe knowing what they know now, the next thing they put out will be what Ark should have been. I'll definitely buy it, because despite all its short comings this is still my favorite game.

Alright, let the sh*t storm begin......

You may very well be correct as to why the game doesnt seem to be improving anymore. While there were great improvements made over the summer, now most fixes and additions seem to cause more problems than they fix. A complete reboot may be the only way out.

Unlike you though I cant say I would definitely buy it.  I dont trust WC enough to pay out more money until I see a solidly working product.

Archived