What exactly Is happening with legacy

GriffinGolemGaming

They have stated many times that legacy will never merge with new officials under any circumstances with any items, characters, dinos, or anything else that can be thought of. They plan to wipe them in waves every so often until (????) Most likely the lack of a date translates to the meaning that they don't have a stopping point. I'm sorry to say that if you are still playing on legacy, it is most likely a waste of time unless you plan to port over the saved files to a player dedicated server. 

1 hour ago, OttoGrunf said:

or you are still playing on legacy because new official pvp server have insane lag and are unplayable?

pvp or pve? I'm on pvp on the island map and don't deal with unplayable lag. Just the same as there has always been. Either way though, why keep playing if you know you will eventually lose your work? It would have to be irritating to put a ton of work into a base just to get it wiped like it was an extinction server :/ 

• Volunteer Moderator
5 minutes ago, MandaBear said:

pvp or pve? I'm on pvp on the island map and don't deal with unplayable lag. Just the same as there has always been. Either way though, why keep playing if you know you will eventually lose your work? It would have to be irritating to put a ton of work into a base just to get it wiped like it was an extinction server :/ 

Why playing at all then? Any time put into gaming is wasted time to begins with. Also, why playing PvP knowing that you will lose your work by getting wiped by Bob&Jane at some point? It would have to be irritating, no?

• Volunteer Moderator
7 minutes ago, MandaBear said:

That's a rather grim mindset. I mean, why keep living if you know you will eventually die? Ultimately, what ever the reason they have for playing on those servers, it is their choice to play on them.

43 minutes ago, ciabattaroll said:

I mean, why keep living if you know you will eventually die?

That logic doesn't apply here. If you know you'll die in 3 months your priorities will change. Drastically. Wildcard expressly stated that they will look at legacy servers every 3 months or so and wipe the ones with low population. Nobody wants to play a game for decades (unless it's WoW for some people) but 3 months? Hell it takes some people (like me) about a month just to properly establish a base lol.

49 minutes ago, ciabattaroll said:

I mean, why keep living if you know you will eventually die?

Might as well stop breathing too, because you're putting off the inevitable.

Come on, everything eventually closes down. However when? You see, this is why I bought server hardware, instead of renting. Because I can say to customers, your stuff is not going to die in 3 months. It will still be here in 2 or 3 years, and then a few more after that. Might consider closing the servers when the game is dead and gone.

6 hours ago, GriffinGolemGaming said:

What is happening are they going to shut legacy down or let some legacy people go into non legacy server by killing the overseerer?

Let's look at what Jeremy Stieglitz,  the Lead Designer, Lead Programmer, & Co-Creative Director of ARK: Survival Evolved and Co-Founder of Studio Wildcard, had to say on the matter in an interview with PC Gamer:

PC Gamer: "While I appreciate nothing is 100 percent certain and nothing can be guaranteed, given a server wipe was considered this time—can you reassure players that this won't happen down the line? What guarantees can you give players at this stage?"

Jeremy Stieglitz: 

"So long as I'm at the company, I'll do everything I can to prevent that from happening. It's hard to predict, for example, will Wildcard always be around? Hopefully, but short of it being the company that I'm at, that I have any influence over, it's important to me. I wouldn't want to see what sort of hell was unleashed, should these worlds that people have built disappear. I don't think it'd be pretty. 

That's about as extreme as I can say: I think it would mean the end of what Ark is in its current form for that to happen. I think that would be very bad for all involved. I think, short of something very extreme happening to the company, it's certainly not in the game plan for any live operational status for Ark: Survival Evolved. 

Part of the thing about Ark is it's not a standard MMO where you grind out loot, it's a creative game. People build structures, draw paintings, breed dinosaurs, they paint them too—you do all these things, you'll spend all this creative output inside the game world, that's kind of irreplaceable. Until someone destroys it in the PvP environment, of course. "

Considering his tendency to say one thing and do another it's safe to take it as a guarantee that not only will the slow wipe of legacy continue but a final wipe of all remaining legacy servers will happen some time in the future.

I wish they would just release the PVE server files, logging in just to feed things and refresh timers is becoming tiresome...

For clarification, my tribe has worked hard on their tames and bases on the isle, rag and SE we have no desire to see that effort wasted. Conversely we also have no drive to keep 'playing' something that will at some arbitrary point be backed up and then wiped.

With the save files we can at least host it ourselves and go on our merry way.

• Wildcard Community
1 minute ago, Fealthion said:

I wish they would just release the PVE server files, logging in just to feed things and refresh timers is becoming tiresome...

For clarification, my tribe has worked hard on their tames and bases on the isle, rag and SE we have no desire to see that effort wasted. Conversely we also have no drive to keep 'playing' something that will at some arbitrary point be backed up and then wiped.

We already did 10 hours ago.

5 hours ago, MandaBear said:

pvp or pve? I'm on pvp on the island map and don't deal with unplayable lag. Just the same as there has always been. 

i stated its pvp. i have been playing ark for long time, there wast same amount of lag on current legacy when they where officials. yes there was lag, but not to this exntent. and game is not in early access any more , isnt it? :P

why is everybody so concerned about legacy other than legacy players . non legacy can have their opinion but in large , if you used to play legacy and moved to new like a lot did then good for you , whilst I decided to stay was simple . so many dinos , so much built and across different servers , didn't want to give that all up to start over on a game that for me like many others has already peaked. i knew new servers were going to be no different in performance and post land spamming , blue screens , lag , time outs , roll backs , but has it happens , my official pve server just all of a sudden became enjoyably playable with very little of the above lol. we enjoy better performance on a less populated server tighter communities and much better relationships and alliances with everyone,no stress and everything we ever needed now ,i would argue it was genius what wc has done  . no issues that we would ever need wc support for now and so when the wipe comes which we do not fear coming eventually . it will be time do drop ark . and with all games . we just move on to something new . legacy is no big deal . everyone plays there way, how they want to, on whatever server , for whatever reason . leave us legacy servers in peace please and when my server is wiped, nothing lasts forever and its been a blast. 

12 hours ago, brownievec said:

why is everybody so concerned about legacy other than legacy players . non legacy can have their opinion but in large , if you used to play legacy and moved to new like a lot did then good for you , whilst I decided to stay was simple . so many dinos , so much built and across different servers , didn't want to give that all up to start over on a game that for me like many others has already peaked. i knew new servers were going to be no different in performance and post land spamming , blue screens , lag , time outs , roll backs , but has it happens , my official pve server just all of a sudden became enjoyably playable with very little of the above lol. we enjoy better performance on a less populated server tighter communities and much better relationships and alliances with everyone,no stress and everything we ever needed now ,i would argue it was genius what wc has done  . no issues that we would ever need wc support for now and so when the wipe comes which we do not fear coming eventually . it will be time do drop ark . and with all games . we just move on to something new . legacy is no big deal . everyone plays there way, how they want to, on whatever server , for whatever reason . leave us legacy servers in peace please and when my server is wiped, nothing lasts forever and its been a blast. 

Probably because they moved to the new servers and left everything behind so they don't want legacy players to continue to have what they gave up.

"But I had my structures and animals destroyed when I started over! I want their stuff destroyed too!" :D

They moved to the new cluster, got their "clean slate," ended up with the same issues, and now they're back to complaining but it's obviously not THEIR fault so their ire is directed at legacy players.

The obvious solution is to make a new cluster of servers and convert the current new cluster to Legacy 2.0. Obviously they have to stay in their own legacy cluster though. Don't want all the duped items to infect the new cluster. It also gives everyone in the new cluster a fresh start where they'll never have to deal with tame capped servers again.

I can finally host 166 tonight. Also, that over 8 gigs of system memory, holy cow! Running the official legacy save is taxing on resources. I better hurry up and buy more ram before the prices go up. I just saw on the tech news that silicon wafers are going up in cost soon, and this will drive up everything in price.

And this is relevant to this thread, because this is what is happening with Legacy. It's being hosted somewhere else.

22 hours ago, Fealthion said:

This is exactly why i moved back to pvp theres always something to do there while pvp basicly becomes a daycare just waiting things out xD; 

• Volunteer Moderator
45 minutes ago, Baker said:

This is exactly why i moved back to pvp theres always something to do there while pvp basicly becomes a daycare just waiting things out xD; 

The only difference between PvP and PvE is that your progress will be wiped by Bob&Jane sooner or later forcing you to start over again. I can agree, however, that there is no "daycare" on PvP because there is no longer anything to care about when you get annihilated but just fresh starts every other day... either that or your daycare becomes grinding bullets because tanky dinos passed by... PvP seems really fun. 9_9

In summary official legacy will be wiped in future, but no one know exactly when and in which order and this info will be published by devs in advance with instructions what to do?

i`m sure that lots of players on legacy dont want to loose their progress and it`ll be nice if some legacy servers will be untouchable (50 of them for example). 

Archived