Do we need imprinting?

natman

I would say no, remove it (at least from pvp)

It is not fun, just a pain, it is unhealthy, it is out of balance and the argument that "it is an option that rewards those who want to go that extra mile" is invalid in my eyes, because if you want to stay competitive in a pvp environment, something as powerful as imprinting is no option, and the basic bred creature that combines the best of its parents stats is already a good reward for scouting for high lvl tames, taming them, breeding them and raising them.

I really cant think of a good argument pro imprinting...

3 minutes ago, Olivar said:

Are you serious?
Imprinting makes your dino's 4-6x stronger, and is a must if you even want to have a chance as Apha bosses and Ascension.

that would have to be adjusted of course

1 minute ago, MandaBear said:

Just because that argument is invalid to you does not instantly make it lose its credibility.  If you don't like imprinting, don't do it. There are counters to every dino in this game and an equal dinosaur of the same type but with more imprinting is not the only option for fighting in pvp

i dont imprint :) and you are right, there are always counters, although an overpowered tame limits them... But its more about if you think the mechanic of imprinting adds anything to the game

11 minutes ago, natman said:

I would say no, remove it (at least from pvp)

It is not fun, just a pain, it is unhealthy, it is out of balance and the argument that "it is an option that rewards those who want to go that extra mile" is invalid in my eyes, because if you want to stay competitive in a pvp environment, something as powerful as imprinting is no option, and the basic bred creature that combines the best of its parents stats is already a good reward for scouting for high lvl tames, taming them, breeding them and raising them.

I really cant think of a good argument pro imprinting...

You'll need better reasons than that for the mechanics to be removed.

• Volunteer Moderator
19 minutes ago, MandaBear said:

Just because that argument is invalid to you does not instantly make it lose its credibility.  If you don't like imprinting, don't do it. There are counters to every dino in this game and an equal dinosaur of the same type but with more imprinting is not the only option for fighting in pvp

I agree. If you don't like a certain part of the game just ignore it and continue on.

12 minutes ago, 1david25 said:

I agree. If you don't like a certain part of the game just ignore it and continue on.

i do. i play on notame servers. but as i said, for people who want to stay competitive on regular pvp servers its not that easy. besides that, there are other arguments against it, but nobody has come up with an argument pro imprinting so far

19 minutes ago, LouSpowells said:

I'm not telling you that you can't, just pointing it out to make sure your expectations don't become unrealistic when another 10 people agree with you.

yeh, didnt mean to say that u tell me i cant :) i know that wildcard probably wont remove it, they have never removed a purposely introduced feature again as far as i know.

All i want is to know if there are actually any arguments to keep imprinting and if they outweigh the cons

1 minute ago, AngrySaltire said:

It gives those who invest more in raising their tame a higher quality tame than those who dont. 

i cant deny that one. but is it really that important? everything in ark already rewards those who put in more time and i think imprinting just takes this too far while having a big impact on the balance

3 minutes ago, natman said:

i cant deny that one. but is it really that important? everything in ark already rewards those who put in more time and i think imprinting just takes this too far while having a big impact on the balance

Well that 30% damage buff and resistance if you 100% plus the increase in stats is really useful.

Do I think it should be removed? No. Do I think it's fine the way it is? Nope. Imprinting is a cool idea that was poorly implemented like so many other aspects of this game.

No mechanic should ask you to damage your health or to put a video game ahead of real life. And no, the devs aren't forcing it on anyone, but they are dangling the carrot in front of the players' faces.

8 minutes ago, iamnotarabbit said:

It might be time-consuming and repetitive, but so is taming itself. It's just one of the ways the devs try to get us to play for longer, and like it or not, it won't be going anywhere any time soon. Plus, it at least feels super rewarding when you do finally finish the process.

so the process basicly is such a pain and the result is so op that it feels rewarding? :P

I mean, im sure it does, but finding a 150 wild creature after scouting for a long time feels rewarding as well. thats nothing unique to imprinting, while the lost sleep and the overpowered result definitely is

natman, I don't wanna be rude or something like that.

But it seems that you could not / don't want to imprint your babys, and also have a balanced environment in which others that have previously spend their time with this mechanic would feel neglected.

All in Ark is designed to be a grind, or time sink. What is the point in having to do meat runs, why they don't up the spoiling timers so its more easy etc...

Learn to adapt to the mechanic but for the sake of god don't try them to remove it.

I don't like lots of things of ARK but I don't ask them to remove them, I learn about adapting to them, If i can't I'm out, but I'm not going to destroy a lot of players because I'm so lazy at something.

Regards.

So what your saying is not that imprinting is usless, but that it should be removed to add a more even playing ground for people who don't like being sick every month after imprinting a giga xD? I do agree, I wish they got rid of the need to imprint and just did a server wide nerf to all creatures and bosses. While its kind of fun and nice to imprint stuff, its annoying when you "HAVE" to do it. for like boss rexes, or gigas.

1 minute ago, Alatrael said:

So what your saying is not that imprinting is usless, but that it should be removed to add a more even playing ground for people who don't like being sick every month after imprinting a giga xD? I do agree, I wish they got rid of the need to imprint and just did a server wide nerf to all creatures and bosses. While its kind of fun and nice to imprint stuff, its annoying when you "HAVE" to do it. for like boss rexes, or gigas.

I don't spend my time killing Gigas, I don't know why do you do that...

For bosses, there are 20 Rexes, I normally don't imprint any of them because I'm not riding them (the big buff came when you ride the dinosaur) 

So Imprinting would have weight maybe in a PVP environment and I could not recommend to sacrifice something in PVP that takes so raptoring lot of time and effort to get in first place.

They could take a look at the time / effort it costs and balance it. (for me the problem comes with the random kibbles more than from another thing).

Only my opinion as always.

Regards.

I only dislike that there isn't another way to make up for lost imprinting due to work or irl obligations. Would be cool to see a way to take your maturing tames out for a hunt to catch them up. Doing the imprints themselves are trivial, so imo it is fair to have to focus a little bit of time on it to get make-up imprint %.

11 minutes ago, VIKAS said:

natman, I don't wanna be rude or something like that.

But it seems that you could not / don't want to imprint your babys, and also have a balanced environment in which others that have previously spend their time with this mechanic would feel neglected.

All in Ark is designed to be a grind, or time sink. What is the point in having to do meat runs, why they don't up the spoiling timers so its more easy etc...

Learn to adapt to the mechanic but for the sake of god don't try them to remove it.

I don't like lots of things of ARK but I don't ask them to remove them, I learn about adapting to them, If i can't I'm out, but I'm not going to destroy a lot of players because I'm so lazy at something.

Regards.

Thanks for expressing the above so politely :D i play on a notame server tho, so im not peronally involved in the topic tbh, i just looked at the mechanic of imprinting and only found reasons against it and none for it. When i said remove imprinting in the op, that might have been rather slogan-like. I dont want to ask the devs to remove it, i want to see what the community thinks about it, which is why i called the thread „do we need imprinting?“ and not „remove imprining!“

8 minutes ago, natman said:

Thanks for expressing the above so politely :D i play on a notame server tho, so im not peronally involved in the topic tbh, i just looked at the mechanic of imprinting and only found reasons against it and none for it. When i said remove imprinting in the op, that might have been rather slogan-like. I dont want to ask the devs to remove it, i want to see what the community thinks about it, which is why i called the thread „do we need imprinting?“ and not „remove imprining!“

I think that the answer to your question would be so complex that you are going to have so mixed answers.

For example I don't imprint for bosses because I'm a solo player, no tribe. So I may, max ride one dino (and normally It's not the rex).

But in a tribe of 10 people, all of them are going to go to the arena. Maybe in that case is very intelligent to do the imprint (each person has only to take care of one Rex, their ride mount).

I would love that they , in a looong time would review mechanics and adjust them (mainly makes them less grindy, less sink/time). But seeing the last things about them, I think that It's going to last a loong time. (It's clear that they are a little overpressured in this moment).

Also thanks for the "politely" thing (english is not my native language, and so many times I have expressed myself in the wrong way).

Regards.

I approve of a rework on imprinting, longer waits between imprints seems basic and ez to allow better sleep to players like me raising many tames at once. Keep bonuses, no nerf to hard work like that. A method to catch up on imprinting like consuming more kibs to make up for missed imprints would be nice. Just food for thought.

Archived