The developers don't deserve this hate

RAYGUNcam

• Volunteer Moderator
1 minute ago, Azmeaiel said:

A lot of the 'Hate' as you call it is comming because a lot of the time wildcard themselves give information which proves wrong like release dates, etc. They have also gone from early acess which gives them a lot of leeway to charging a comparable price to AAA games but not backing the PRODUCT with meeting their own deadlines or the quality and optomisation of a game expected of this price range. End of the day, this is a consumer market and you cant have the 'safe space' and margin for error of an early acess game, then charge the peice for a polished, top end game. People enjoy it, yes, its a good game with a hell of a lot of potential that people can spend 1000's of hours and invest a lot of time into. Is it a polished, bug free, well optomised game that meets critical and advertised deadlines?...no. End of the day you cant have your cake and eat it too.

Respectfully disagree with this notion of flawless "top end games". I mean, cougar man and the bird people of Red Dead Redemption? Pretty much the entirety of the Assassin's Creed Franchise, ranging from infinitely spawning guards to everything wrong with Unity to bipedal Hippos? Diablo's error 37 messages during it's big launch? Batman Arkham Knight being so bad that it was actually taken off the steam store? None of those ring a bell to you?

This isn't an issue with more modern games either. You had the negative world in Super Mario, the Rambi bug in Donkey Kong Country, Megaman's pause damage trick, Duck Hunt's stage zero, etc. etc.

Ultimately, there's probably never going to be such a thing as a "bug free game", but game developers still try.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Communication, Communication, Communication... an unbelievable lack of this is what generates all the luscious hate.

First - It's understandable to miss a date (no not every single one but...) but as soon as you know you're going to miss it why not shoot out COMMUNICATION to everyone telling them what happened and why? If they did this it would relieve a huge chunk of the negativity they receive.

Second - You need to be clear about what you are going to do or how things are going to work when people are waiting for them. Something like the new legacy saves is awesome but waiting and waiting only to find out that they are useless on consoles unless you are renting a server... can cause some hatred

Third - Listen to what the bulk of the community (your customers) are telling you they want. If you don't give them what they are looking for... they'll leave you. Telling the community you hear their needs and are working on them removes some of that hate as well... even if you have to see #1 above.

1 minute ago, ciabattaroll said:

Respectfully disagree with this notion of flawless "top end games". I mean, cougar man and the bird people of Red Dead Redemption? Pretty much the entirety of the Assassin's Creed Franchise, ranging from infinitely spawning guards to everything wrong with Unity to bipedal Hippos? Diablo's error 37 messages during it's big launch? Batman Arkham Knight being so bad that it was actually taken off the steam store? None of those ring a bell to you?

This isn't an issue with more modern games either. You had the negative world in Super Mario, the Rambi bug in Donkey Kong Country, Megaman's pause damage trick, Duck Hunt's stage zero, etc. etc.

Ultimately, there's probably never going to be such a thing as a "bug free game", but game developers still try.

A lot of these issues, especially the diablo's 'error 37' message was also fixed within a day. Unfortunatly this game has been released with fairly well known bugs, lag issues bugs and exploits that we have all known about for almost 2 years of production and still unfixed. There is still major issues even playing part of the game like take for example, any new player attempting to play on the new PVE servers will find a hard time finding any at all that are uncapped or dont have several mega tribes exploiting cap mechanics to either sell cap or free slots on servers they own. These problems are very slow to be adressed, but price hikes, pushing out season passes are put out quite fast, yet these new customers cannot even be accomodated on existing servers - see PVE example. There are also many existing problems still in PVP that would not be allowed to be mentioned on this forum that have been fairly slow to be adressed and cause many people to leave the game.

47 minutes ago, Ronson12 said:

Structures do not make you rubberband and teleport backwards in time across the map to where your character was 60 seconds ago or force you to open doors twice. I've been gaming since before the inception of online  gaming, I was playing  lan before you could even play online and in all that time ark is THE worst game for lagging I have ever encountered. I am not exaggerating at all and no it's not my Internet, or my isp or my router or my dog or my kid,  It's ark. 

14 players or 53 players, it make no difference. I've also noticed recently any time someone joins the ark the game goes to crap.. 

structures do actually cause lag and its also depends on the system it runs on. I never play on Official cause of this issue rubberbanding is also you loading in stuff or the server acting up. Ive been with a group that has hosted many ark servers and they will tell you the same thing day 1 is great the server has no tames no structures and runs awesome! later when everyone has 100+ tames and giant bases it causes you to rubberband back and for the server to have issues. 

• Volunteer Moderator
23 minutes ago, Azmeaiel said:

A lot of these issues, especially the diablo's 'error 37' message was also fixed within a day. Unfortunatly this game has been released with fairly well known bugs, lag issues bugs and exploits that we have all known about for almost 2 years of production and still unfixed. There is still major issues even playing part of the game like take for example, any new player attempting to play on the new PVE servers will find a hard time finding any at all that are uncapped or dont have several mega tribes exploiting cap mechanics to either sell cap or free slots on servers they own. These problems are very slow to be adressed, but price hikes, pushing out season passes are put out quite fast, yet these new customers cannot even be accomodated on existing servers - see PVE example. There are also many existing problems still in PVP that would not be allowed to be mentioned on this forum that have been fairly slow to be adressed and cause many people to leave the game.

None of the classic game bugs were ever fixed, due to the nature of classic games not being patchable, it took more than one day for Arkham Knight to come back to the steam stores, and various assassin's creed issues still persist, like infinite falling on unity even though Unity is now 3 years old, and origins gives vague timelines on when issues are to be resolved. So no, it's not "a lot of these issues were fixed within a day".

Game is really fun and addictive and in some areas they have done a really good job but there is so much STILL wrong with the game they dont seem to care about fixing and just want us to buy more pay to win dlc. They cannot stick to a date they set, are horrible at communicating with their community, have lied and mislead us on multiple occasions. 
Lagnarok is pretty much unplayable on Xbox still.
They are also dodgy af. The reason we had to buy pay to win dlc in an early access game was to cover the cost of them being sued over starting wildcard when Jeremy was still contracted by another company so he put WC in his wifes name or something like that.

The amount of dino's of mine that have been killed due to various issues I blame wildcard for is more than I have lost through pvp, trolls or wild dinos and ive played official pvp for 2 years.

1 minute ago, ciabattaroll said:

None of the classic game bugs were ever fixed, due to the nature of classic games not being patchable, it took more than one day for Arkham Knight to come back to the steam stores, and various assassin's creed issues still persist, like infinite falling on unity even though Unity is now 3 years old, and origins gives vague timelines on when issues are to be resolved. So no, it's not "a lot of these issues were fixed within a day".

This is also incredibly off topic to he problems im discussing, its one thing to release a game with a bug you dont know about, or one thats released and then fixed but at the end of the day, if it is not fixed is it right? No..   you are basicly selling a damaged product or one thats unusable for its purpose (like ones with game breakers) and in a lot of places legally entitled to a refund. 

However, this is off topic as i am discussing known, long lasting problems with games and dont think 'other studios did it' is going to help anyones moral compass here.

My main point is that people are agitated about being given dates , like the october realease, with a product a lot have pre-payed for, and then been disappointed, often several times, and also that another problem customers are having is performance issues, exploits , and bugs that i know have been in game for around 2 years since alpha , have been reported many times and are still unsolved. Its Frustrating people, its frustrating new customers and old ones. people like the game and have invested a lot of time playing it which is why a lot are so passionate about it and the general community pretty much all agree they would rather see less spurious content and more fixes to what they already have so its a better experience.  Its all well and good to say WC is a small studio and if so , instead of overreaching with yet more new content , why not bite the bullet, slow down and fix what they have? a lot of people see this and are frustrated.

50 minutes ago, Cirilla227 said:

structures do actually cause lag and its also depends on the system it runs on. I never play on Official cause of this issue rubberbanding is also you loading in stuff or the server acting up. Ive been with a group that has hosted many ark servers and they will tell you the same thing day 1 is great the server has no tames no structures and runs awesome! later when everyone has 100+ tames and giant bases it causes you to rubberband back and for the server to have issues. 

Graphical lag due to a system being unable to handle the game and Internet lag are not one and the same. I can assure you graphical lag has zero effect on rubberbanding,no matter how many structures are built. More buildings equals lower frames per second, that's a hardware issue which is  not connected to the quality of your Internet. Obviously no matter how good your connection is its not going to increase FPS. 

23 minutes ago, Ronson12 said:

Graphical lag due to a system being unable to handle the game and Internet lag are not one and the same. I can assure you graphical lag has zero effect on rubberbanding,no matter how many structures are built. More buildings equals lower frames per second, that's a hardware issue which is  not connected to the quality of your Internet. Obviously no matter how good your connection is its not going to increase FPS. 

One of the issues we are seeing is a person on other side of server logging into a known large base. In Fact 2 problems. The first will be, the entire server and everyone on it will freeze for a few seconds, then experience continued lag while player is rendering the large base/huge ammount of dinos. The Player who is in the base experiences additional lag that can be turned on and off by simply turning off nameplates.

Like op said, would you rather a finished dlc or a partially complete dlc? People say that they would prefer that wild card wouldn't give a date if they aren't going to be finished by then. Idk why people would rather wildcard say nothing. Wouldn't people prefer they give some dates if things all go well. This way we can at least know that aberration is close. People wouldn't get mad if nothing was said, so at least wildcard is trying to get it out when they can.

I don't think they deserve all the hate either. This game rules on soo many degrees. 
If they'd Just stop putting out release dates that would solve allot of the hate 
I think it's a good sign to see the hate because if people weren't in love with the game they wouldn't be so bothered about getting more of it
So true!

19 hours ago, Brayn said:

Xbox or PC?  The issues I'm noting are all xbox.  Sounds like you're a part of the PC Master Race and for that I am jealous.  You can go back on Jat's twitter feed where he asked for feedback regarding single player and dedicated xbox server dino spawn issues.  I believe it was 3 weeks before release.  There's also historic patch notes detailing their attempts to fix the issue.

Again, this is all Xbox and it is/was very real.

I play on xbox one and its not the xbox one x and I do not experience serious lag on any map other than Rag, I'll get the loading lag on every map but Rag is unplayable 90% of the time because of the lag I could be playing singleplayer and my game will crash if I go to certain caves or areas for an extended period of time

11 hours ago, Jamage007 said:

Game is really fun and addictive and in some areas they have done a really good job but there is so much STILL wrong with the game they dont seem to care about fixing and just want us to buy more pay to win dlc. They cannot stick to a date they set, are horrible at communicating with their community, have lied and mislead us on multiple occasions. 
Lagnarok is pretty much unplayable on Xbox still.
They are also dodgy af. The reason we had to buy pay to win dlc in an early access game was to cover the cost of them being sued over starting wildcard when Jeremy was still contracted by another company so he put WC in his wifes name or something like that.

The amount of dino's of mine that have been killed due to various issues I blame wildcard for is more than I have lost through pvp, trolls or wild dinos and ive played official pvp for 2 years.

What are talking about pay to win DLC? Its not like they have an addon for 5$ in the store for a random ascendant pike that you receive every time to respawn. Scorched earth is not a pay to win DLC it is another map with more stuff to use, which you can get all this stuff on Rag now for free. The only reason they sold Scorched earth in EA was because they needed funding to keep adding things to the game and keep it alive. Rag on xbox is unplayable but y'know there are other maps to play which in my opinion are better. On PvP expect to lose stuff even dinos people are going to try to find exploits in the game to mess with you.

11 hours ago, Azmeaiel said:

My main point is that people are agitated about being given dates , like the october realease, with a product a lot have pre-payed for, and then been disappointed, often several times, and also that another problem customers are having is performance issues, exploits , and bugs that i know have been in game for around 2 years since alpha , have been reported many times and are still unsolved. Its Frustrating people, its frustrating new customers and old ones. people like the game and have invested a lot of time playing it which is why a lot are so passionate about it and the general community pretty much all agree they would rather see less spurious content and more fixes to what they already have so its a better experience.  Its all well and good to say WC is a small studio and if so , instead of overreaching with yet more new content , why not bite the bullet, slow down and fix what they have? a lot of people see this and are frustrated.

Ok when people prepaid for the Season pass they were promised ANY future paid content added to the game and they said the DLC may come out in october and when october did come they said they were having problems and needed to work on somethings so they were adding things and fixing things, and as I stated in my OP would you rather have paid for a more complete product or one that has too many problems to use?

5 minutes ago, Snipermike187 said:

I think they deserve some of it they still haven't even released all of Ragnarok and they're talking about releasing another map why don't they finish what they start

Because Ragnarok is being developed by the same group of people (community modders) that have always developed it.  They are now under the WC umbrella so to speak, but for that team Ragnarok is their sole focus.  WC has it's own fish to fry.

20 hours ago, Brayn said:

I agree it's not apples to apples EQ to ARK.  It's a comparison though.  In EQ everyone complained about the grind and the xp loss on death and the travel times and how out of reach raiding was and how you NEEDED to be in a group to even play.  Then there was constant balance issues with both PvE and PvP.  I could stand outside of LoS with my wizard and 2-3 shot nuke someone, take there gear and bounce.  No one could stop me.  None of that was ever fixed or adjusted for EQ and they lost out big when WoW came along and addressed EQ's fans' concerns.  EQ was never supposed to be a niche game where only the hardcore grinders would enjoy.  It was designed to appeal to the masses.  The masses reacted with their feet when EQ failed to cater to its fans by, say, adding increased rate servers or other types of servers.  WoW saw the hate, saw the potential the game had and yes, made a dumbed down, watered down version of EQ.  As they say in business, if you want to get rich, you cater to the MASSES not the CLASSES.  EQ lost, WoW won. 

In ARK they have it even easier.  They don't need massive sweeping balance changes.  They need some, but not like EQ did.  No, they need to fix their broken code and allow their fans to actually enjoy their game free of major lag and disconnects.  As an owner of a One X who bought it because WC hyped it as the silver bullet for ARK, I am incredibly pissed that the One X absolutely adds nothing to performance.  Visually it's 30% better than it was on the Xbox One BEFORE they nerfed graphics into the ground in like March or April.  Before March or April, the game was visually close to what it is now on the One X.

this guy gets it

4 minutes ago, Snipermike187 said:

I think they deserve some of it they still haven't even released all of Ragnarok and they're talking about releasing another map why don't they finish what they start

Actually Rag is still being developed by the people who made it originally wildcard has only added it as DLC.

20 hours ago, ChargingParacerParacer said:

Same thinh I said in the other thread there wouldn't be near as many people to 'hate' Wildcard if they didn't make so many bad decisions so frequently. Not the customers fault they doubled the price of their product while not also doubling quality assurance.

Yeah they make a lot of mistakes but people just are a bit dumb about like they missed the october release date for aberration and 90% of the people are acting stupid about it.

12 hours ago, ciabattaroll said:

Maybe it is just me, but the "well, look at those other people, they are just as bad as we are" argument has never worked well as a defense.

ARK is an ok game. But it is a game that has been dragging along some of the same issues for over 2 years. Issues that we were told would be fixed, issues that the community defended as not being addressed until beta, issues that were later dropped when we were told that getting developers who really know the engine is difficult.

I am not saying WC could have done much more than they did game-wise, but when it comes to the communication, I completely understand if people feel they were strung along for years and then dropped.

20 hours ago, Brayn said:

At least we've come to some accord... I just disagree on hate.  We've been giving them constructive feedback since day 1 and continued after release.  All of it seems like it's being ignored in favor of hyping Aberration.  I just can't defend a company that releases a broken product and then turns around and tries to sell a new product before getting the first one to function properly.

As for consoles not having the juice to run the game, the One X should be all you need.  That console is like a $1,200 PC that could run ARK on low/medium settings.  I have the One X.  There is absolutely no difference in connectivity/network performance and Wildcard Jesse confirmed the same, that just having a new console does nothing to address those issues.

Experience/knowledge for coding on consoles is a bit more specialized, so there are fewer console developers out there versus general programmers.  Chances are that the number of programmers for the console versions is very small, and that, would cause some of the problems you see.  The main game needs to keep going forward in order to keep the studio running, and so that small group of developers now have to adapt the new map/items/adjustments/etc for consoles while STILL fixing bugs.  No wonder they're having issues on Xbox!  And you can't hire what isn't available to hire.

8 hours ago, RAYGUNcam said:

Yeah they make a lot of mistakes but people just are a bit dumb about like they missed the october release date for aberration and 90% of the people are acting stupid about it.

Then they should stop screwing up if they or others can't handle negativity. ;-) Welcome to how reality works, no one is owed praise 24/7.

Archived