The developers don't deserve this hate

RAYGUNcam

With aberration coming sometime maybe this year or nor people are angry at them for not having it released when they said they would probably have it out or people are mad about updates for the game not coming when they said they would possibly happen. Those people hating the devs but you have to think its a smaller team and this small team is making an open world survival game with building crafting, and fighting mechanics and with other creatures big and small so of course there is going to be bugs. Instead of complaning about these bugs and telling wildcard they are bad at making a game, yea sure they have QA testers but they can't find every problem with the game when a DLC and update is released, but if you do find a problem you can send a support ticket to wildcard or even make a post about it in the bugs and glitch support section. Regarding the DLC release dates they have to add features one by one and each time they add a feature they have QA testers go in and test the new feature and find problems and if there are little to none problems they move on the next feature, repeat until its finished and some times adding other features messes with the one that have been added so then they have to fix it to make them compatible and well it may break another, so if there was an attended release date then they have problems and need to address them they have to fix it before its released or they could release it with that problem and make the game unplayable until they fix it; would you rather have a finished and playable DLC or the DLC comes out on the attended release date and its unplayable, me I'd wait for it to be released when it is playable. Yes it sucks to wait for the thing you were  told was coming out on X date and it doesn't happen but just think next time it does happen they want the game to be playable.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think they deserve all the hate either. This game rules on soo many degrees. 

If they'd Just stop putting out release dates that would solve allot of the hate 

I think it's a good sign to see the hate because if people weren't in love with the game they wouldn't be so bothered about getting more of it

8 minutes ago, Teddansen said:

I don't think they deserve all the hate either. This game rules on soo many degrees. 

If they'd Just stop putting out release dates that would solve allot of the hate 

I think it's a good sign to see the hate because if people weren't in love with the game they wouldn't be so bothered about getting more of it

Yea the hate you may be thinking of is constructive criticism the hate I'm thinking of is the "GOD THESE DEVELOPERS SUCK!" people I dont mind seeing the "can you guys fix these X problems?"

Oh they definitely deserve the hate, but not about Aberration.  About the core game.  There's still so many bugs and network issues that have been around since day 1 that have gone unaddressed.  Moreover, they released the game along with a DLC that frankly runs like I'm on dial-up.  Even upgraded to the One X and still no joy.  1-2 minute stalls each time someone logs in and if that someone is inside a large base, half the server gets kicked and then tries rejoining, resulting in 30 minutes or so of an unplayable server.

This is flat unacceptable.  This has been going on since official release and has not even slightly improved.  If they don't do a full-stop and dedicate everything to fixing Rag and the other issues, then they deserve the hate.  You don't come to my house to install a new air conditioning that doesn't work and then come back later asking to install a new hot water heater.  You fix what you broke first and then move on.  That's the hate.

Then there's the constant hype train they engage in despite the above glaring issue.  Add in a lack of servers and horrible customer support for a game that everyone absolutely WANTS to love because it is the best game we've all ever played and you get a huge amount of hate.

That type of hate, however, fades instantly and out of nowhere.  I saw the hate back on Everquest.  The very same hate.  Then WoW comes out and did the unthinkable.  They paid attention to the hate and made a game that fixed all of the issues that Everquest refused to address.  Everquest continued on, but its numbers dwindled into the low thousands while WoW took off like a rocket ship.

If WC wants to survive a true AAA competitor (lol at Failcomm and Conan), then they need to take a hard look at what their loyal fans are screaming about. 

6 minutes ago, Brayn said:

Oh they definitely deserve the hate, but not about Aberration.  About the core game.  There's still so many bugs and network issues that have been around since day 1 that have gone unaddressed.  Moreover, they released the game along with a DLC that frankly runs like I'm on dial-up.  Even upgraded to the One X and still no joy.  1-2 minute stalls each time someone logs in and if that someone is inside a large base, half the server gets kicked and then tries rejoining, resulting in 30 minutes or so of an unplayable server.

This is flat unacceptable.  This has been going on since official release and has not even slightly improved.  If they don't do a full-stop and dedicate everything to fixing Rag and the other issues, then they deserve the hate.  You don't come to my house to install a new air conditioning that doesn't work and then come back later asking to install a new hot water heater.  You fix what you broke first and then move on.  That's the hate.

Then there's the constant hype train they engage in despite the above glaring issue.  Add in a lack of servers and horrible customer support for a game that everyone absolutely WANTS to love because it is the best game we've all ever played and you get a huge amount of hate.

That type of hate, however, fades instantly and out of nowhere.  I saw the hate back on Everquest.  The very same hate.  Then WoW comes out and did the unthinkable.  They paid attention to the hate and made a game that fixed all of the issues that Everquest refused to address.  Everquest continued on, but its numbers dwindled into the low thousands while WoW took off like a rocket ship.

If WC wants to survive a true AAA competitor (lol at Failcomm and Conan), then they need to take a hard look at what their loyal fans are screaming about. 

Could not have said it better myself! The "hate" comes from frustrated fans. Nobody set out to hate on WC. We are just frustrated because we would like enjoy the game without 2 minute lag spikes every 30 seconds!

29 minutes ago, Brayn said:

You are looking at the whole EQ/WoW thing in the wrong way.

What you say might be true to some small degree, it is not what differentiated the two in the numbers that played.

EQ was great, best thing ever at the time. However it was LOTS harder to play than WOW, it was/is very complicated, very in-depth gameplay. Something that WOW is not. WOW dumbed the game down to the masses, something that EQ didn't want. EQ2 is a different story,,,,

Just now, Palenor said:

You are looking at the whole EQ/WoW thing in the wrong way.

What you say might be true to some small degree, it is not what differentiated the two in the numbers that played.

EQ was great, best thing ever at the time. However it was LOTS harder to play than WOW, it was/is very complicated, very in-depth gameplay. Something that WOW is not. WOW dumbed the game down to the masses, something that EQ didn't want. EQ2 is a different story,,,,

I agree it's not apples to apples EQ to ARK.  It's a comparison though.  In EQ everyone complained about the grind and the xp loss on death and the travel times and how out of reach raiding was and how you NEEDED to be in a group to even play.  Then there was constant balance issues with both PvE and PvP.  I could stand outside of LoS with my wizard and 2-3 shot nuke someone, take there gear and bounce.  No one could stop me.  None of that was ever fixed or adjusted for EQ and they lost out big when WoW came along and addressed EQ's fans' concerns.  EQ was never supposed to be a niche game where only the hardcore grinders would enjoy.  It was designed to appeal to the masses.  The masses reacted with their feet when EQ failed to cater to its fans by, say, adding increased rate servers or other types of servers.  WoW saw the hate, saw the potential the game had and yes, made a dumbed down, watered down version of EQ.  As they say in business, if you want to get rich, you cater to the MASSES not the CLASSES.  EQ lost, WoW won. 

In ARK they have it even easier.  They don't need massive sweeping balance changes.  They need some, but not like EQ did.  No, they need to fix their broken code and allow their fans to actually enjoy their game free of major lag and disconnects.  As an owner of a One X who bought it because WC hyped it as the silver bullet for ARK, I am incredibly pissed that the One X absolutely adds nothing to performance.  Visually it's 30% better than it was on the Xbox One BEFORE they nerfed graphics into the ground in like March or April.  Before March or April, the game was visually close to what it is now on the One X.

4 minutes ago, Palenor said:

Oh, you hit that one on the head, bet it is Rag too.....

I clearly identified it as Rag as a major issue in my original post.  But no, it's not 70/70.  Last night there were 14 people on and when a guy who I know has a large base logged in, 8 of us got kicked after a 2 minute stall.  Even with 14 people on, every time someone logged in it would stall for 1-2 minutes.  I watched the timer on my megatherium go from 120 berserker seconds to 0 berserker seconds while I sat there unable to do anything.  Then when I could move again it shot back up to 90 seconds.  all with less than 20 people logged in.

26 minutes ago, Olivar said:

let me guess, you're playing on a 70/70 overloaded server?

No.  50 on at prime time, 14-20 on during off-peak times.  Doesn't matter if it's 50 people or 14 people, players logging in stall the game for 1-2 minutes or crash it outright.

And what difference would that even make?  You can't defend WC for a game that barely functions when the players are only doing what the game allows and requires them to do... you know, like tame/breed dinos and build stuff.

3 minutes ago, Olivar said:

That's a Nitrado issue then.
Cause my cluster runs Ragnarok, zero lag, zero disconnects, no rubber banding.

wouldn't doubt it, but I think that private dedicated servers are a completely different animal than officials.  For the longest time, and probably still to this day, private dedicated servers acted differently than official servers.  Wild Dino spawns being the best evidence of this.  I've never seen an official center server with a half-burnt island ONLY spawning raptors and ONLY by the dozen.  If you didn't destroy wild dinos every other day on a private dedicated then you would have no dino spawns other than raptors, dodos and dire wolves.

IMO they have scripts running in the background to Band-Aid over code issues.  Recently on an Island server I had been in the water for a week and saw the same few alpha tusos and mosas in the same spots.  One night randomly around 5am the game stalled for 30 seconds or so and literally every wild dino on the map got wiped and respawned.  This tells me they run a destroywilddinos script or did it manually for whatever reason.  There's a lot more going on under the hood on officials than unofficials, otherwise why would unofficials and single player spawns act completely different to official spawns?  And don't say it's because there's more people playing on official and cycling dinos.  I played on an extinction server for 30 days where there were 3 people on at peak times.  Never had any of the issues I had every time I hosted a private server.

Just now, Brayn said:

wouldn't doubt it, but I think that private dedicated servers are a completely different animal than officials.  For the longest time, and probably still to this day, private dedicated servers acted differently than official servers.  Wild Dino spawns being the best evidence of this.  I've never seen an official center server with a half-burnt island ONLY spawning raptors and ONLY by the dozen.  If you didn't destroy wild dinos every other day on a private dedicated then you would have no dino spawns other than raptors, dodos and dire wolves.

IMO they have scripts running in the background to Band-Aid over code issues.  Recently on an Island server I had been in the water for a week and saw the same few alpha tusos and mosas in the same spots.  One night randomly around 5am the game stalled for 30 seconds or so and literally every wild dino on the map got wiped and respawned.  This tells me they run a destroywilddinos script or did it manually for whatever reason.  There's a lot more going on under the hood on officials than unofficials, otherwise why would unofficials and single player spawns act completely different to official spawns?  And don't say it's because there's more people playing on official and cycling dinos.  I played on an extinction server for 30 days where there were 3 people on at peak times.  Never had any of the issues I had every time I hosted a private server.

Never encountered that problem in the 2 years that my server is running.
Never.

And we are constantly scouring our map for kills to get the tribute for summoning bosses and what not as our tek base consumes quite a bit of element to maintain operational. Your making a lot of accusations based on experience with a server that I haven't seen anywhere before.
That's how rumours grow you know. You seriously expect me to believe, given the current state of Wildcard, they have different software written for unofficial and official? Get real now.....

Also something people should keep in mind :  The official servers are a gesture of Wildcard. They are for you for free.

4 minutes ago, Olivar said:

Never encountered that problem in the 2 years that my server is running.
Never.

And we are constantly scouring our map for kills to get the tribute for summoning bosses and what not as our tek base consumes quite a bit of element to maintain operational. Your making a lot of accusations based on experience with a server that I haven't seen anywhere before.
That's how rumours grow you know. You seriously expect me to believe, given the current state of Wildcard, they have different software written for unofficial and official? Get real now.....

Also something people should keep in mind :  The official servers are a gesture of Wildcard. They are for you for free.

Xbox or PC?  The issues I'm noting are all xbox.  Sounds like you're a part of the PC Master Race and for that I am jealous.  You can go back on Jat's twitter feed where he asked for feedback regarding single player and dedicated xbox server dino spawn issues.  I believe it was 3 weeks before release.  There's also historic patch notes detailing their attempts to fix the issue.

Again, this is all Xbox and it is/was very real.

2 minutes ago, Brayn said:

Xbox or PC?  The issues I'm noting are all xbox.  Sounds like you're a part of the PC Master Race and for that I am jealous.  You can go back on Jat's twitter feed where he asked for feedback regarding single player and dedicated xbox server dino spawn issues.  I believe it was 3 weeks before release.  There's also historic patch notes detailing their attempts to fix the issue.

Again, this is all Xbox and it is/was very real.

I am indeed on PC yes.
And honestly I am not surprised that the consoles are suffering like this.
Don't get me wrong, I don't want to look down on console people, because I'm an avid console player myself, but even on PC, Ark is a beast.
And let's face it, console hardware doesn't come close to PC hardware.

Having experience developing for PlayStation, I can also say that code for consoles is really finicky.
What works on a PC doesn't always work on a console due the hardware, code and library limitations as well as the difference in requirements.
So a simple port of code does not work.

Does that mean it's acceptable? Nope, absolutely not.
Does that mean however people should hate on Wildcard? Nope. They should provide feedback and tell what goes wrong so Wildcard can fix it. I'm pretty sure that the console territory is new for them.
Could they have done a better job? Probably.

Just now, Olivar said:

I am indeed on PC yes.
And honestly I am not surprised that the consoles are suffering like this.
Don't get me wrong, I don't want to look down on console people, because I'm an avid console player myself, but even on PC, Ark is a beast.
And let's face it, console hardware doesn't come close to PC hardware.

Having experience developing for PlayStation, I can also say that code for consoles is really finicky.
What works on a PC doesn't always work on a console due the hardware, code and library limitations as well as the difference in requirements.
So a simple port of code does not work.

Does that mean it's acceptable? Nope, absolutely not.
Does that mean however people should hate on Wildcard? Nope. They should provide feedback and tell what goes wrong so Wildcard can fix it. I'm pretty sure that the console territory is new for them.
Could they have done a better job? Probably.

At least we've come to some accord... I just disagree on hate.  We've been giving them constructive feedback since day 1 and continued after release.  All of it seems like it's being ignored in favor of hyping Aberration.  I just can't defend a company that releases a broken product and then turns around and tries to sell a new product before getting the first one to function properly.

As for consoles not having the juice to run the game, the One X should be all you need.  That console is like a $1,200 PC that could run ARK on low/medium settings.  I have the One X.  There is absolutely no difference in connectivity/network performance and Wildcard Jesse confirmed the same, that just having a new console does nothing to address those issues.

1 hour ago, ChargingParacerParacer said:

Same thinh I said in the other thread there wouldn't be near as many people to 'hate' Wildcard if they didn't make so many bad decisions so frequently. Not the customers fault they doubled the price of their product while not also doubling quality assurance.

Does Ark cost $120 now?

Archived