Am I more suited for PvE?

ASucculentSucc

For the last month or so I have just been in PVP (ever since I started ark) because I am a competitive person and like multiplayer which is why I own a PC and Xb1x with 40 games in between. 

However, I am having a really different experience with this game. For some reason, I feel like solo play is much better than playing with others in Ark. The PVP community is absolutely horrid. 

Seems as if every time I play solo, I do well for myself AKA 3k+ ingots every few days and eventually I fill large boxes. Next day I run across a tribe and join them. All my supplies I saved are taken, (shared technically) and made into ridiculous things like flak and turrets, metal behemoth walls, etc. The whole point of staying hidden goes out the window. Day after, tribe I joined angers another alliance or fights proactively just for the sake of it, just so the enemy tribe follows them on a Wyvern and blows up my base when they normally wouldn't bother me.

(This happened in several servers as a repetitive cycle)

I am kind of wanting to go do my own thing, tired of idiot players ruining my work. Thing is though, I LIKE PvP and fighting but stepping on the lions tail to get mauled isn't what I want. Seems that my tribes always went for alpha ones. 

Bottom line..would I enjoy PvE or is it just as bad except players can't kill you so they find other ways? I'd miss the aspect of increasing fort/melee/health to battle players and just fight Dinos, but I also think the relief of not getting your stuff destroyed is worth that. 

What should I do?

PVE definitely has it's share of trolls, sometimes people will drag things to your base. You might look around for an unofficial PVP server. many I hear have rules and they must be followed (things like raiding is only allowed on the weekends and so forth) so they are a bit more organized and managed, you could always try PVE and see if you like it if you don't want to check into unofficial servers.

Not if you are use to pvp I wouldn't suggest it. You will find trolls and passive aggressive pvp on a pve server, and there are a ton of new rules that are just simply weird to adapt to for pvp players (like no picking up wild dinos with a quetz to tame it). Either way it is up to you though in the end. Also nothing is stopping you from trying it out for like a month and switching back if its not for you. If you do stay pvp, though I'd strongly suggest you  stay solo, or be a lot more picky about which tribes you join. Typically the smaller tribes that do stuff like what you described have a past history of constantly being mouthy, getting wiped, and restarting. In their eyes its always someone elses fault that they were wiped and its always the terrible mean alphas that did it. Even if those same alphas helped them before they acted like d bags. Decent tribes are hard to find because usually the second they become stable, they grow fast and are no longer small ones that take in new people anymore. The trick is either getting to know those big tribes as a solo and being cool with them until they trust you, or simply facing the fact that you will be prosecuted for your teammates actions time and time again until you find a smaller tribe with promise. If you work very well solo then the first option would be best. Try finding tribes that are already friends with the alpha of the server. 

So a few of answers here might help.

1. PVE No, I wouldn't recommend it for you.  The frustrations for someone who is used to the benefits of PVP are too great to overcome IMO

2. PVP on official.  It can be done as a solo player, and there is fun to be had but this depends greatly on the server community there.  Some servers for the most part have large tribes that will leave the smaller tribes alone, and even add them to a list of tribes that are aloud to live basically.  I was in a server like this back on Legacy for a year and it was great.  The rub of course is finding that server.  Some you will build up and they will wipe you just because they are offended by you being allowed to live...  Instead of joining some other big tribe where you don't really know the others I'd recommend starting small.  Maybe you have a friend who plays, or you can talk into playing.  Or maybe there is another solo guy out there who feels and acts like you.  The 2 of you might be able to join forces and get twice the amount done!

3. Play on Unofficial Dedicated Server.  This is what I started on before going to official.  This is also where I play now after leaving official.  There are some great servers out there, and with Nitrado in the mix to let people rent servers instead of hosting on an Xbox this seems to be a great option and more stable.  The challenge with the Xbox hosted servers was they would eventually become corrupted and you'd have to start over. I've started over several times on these Xbox hosted servers so I can't really recommend those.  The reason why I say Unofficial is you will find that this is where alot of folks like you and me have migrated to. It's true!  I've seen more people on unofficial who just want to do their own thing and it's a more laid back environment than the official servers are.   That doesn't mean PVP can't and doesn't happen, but your odds of finding a server to your liking is greater here.

53 minutes ago, KillaMrB said:

Yeah pve gets old real fast, especially when somebody pillars you in and there's nothing you can do.

imo you need to pillar the surrounding of you're main base from the start.

I also have many outpost around the map for oil, ciments, traps,  beds, ... ppl can pillar the crap out of them I don't care I won't expand them

9 hours ago, Pic1 said:

How exactly does pvp work on an official server? Do people generally attack only when someone builds a metal base?

Nope. In my limited PvP experience we had people C4ing our wooden/stone shack with 2 parasaurs, 3 dodo's, and a pachy. Every night when we went to bed because we had work in the morning. 

When we had off and played later into the night, nothing. We were able to build up to metal just to sustain ourselves as we found a permanent base location. Unfortunately I was heavy into PvE on PS at the time and expanding my trade market (I was playing PvP on PC with some work friends) and while I wasn't on they made the mistake of building in a Cave (this is Legacy and they built in the Cave where the Hunter artifact is on the island). I would have told them not to if I had known. The Chinese on the server came down and my PvP tribe placed vaults full of Crystal and metal for them and thought they had made peace. The Chinese had a spawn point in the Cave and wiped them that night while they were off. 

They decided to open their own server after that for a bit and I just stayed with my PvE game on PS. I've thought about going PvP a few times since then but every time I start to really consider it I find something else I love about PvE and keep on staying. 

PvE is great if you want to be solo, or a small tribe. You -can- play pvp solo, but it can be very tough, and you are never guaranteed to not be raided, even if the alphas have you on their good boy list.

If building cool things, hanging out with peeps/visiting other bases (without worry of being shot), and long term breeding projects are something you fancy, PvE might be for you. You can spend a whole day just painting stuff if you really wanted to, and not feel like there was something more important you should have been doing.

I don't blame anyone for saying PvE is boring, it certainly can be. It takes a level of creativity and will to want to continue playing when "there is no real point".... it is a sandbox game after all.

All that being said, there are plenty of great experiences offered by both pve and pvp modes, but above all, finding the right server that suits you (official or not) can be tasking, however, greatly rewarding once you find a good place to settle in that feels right to you. 

I'd say you can handle pvp,  you got wiped,  you rebuilt Moved server and tried again,  you have been wiped a few times and still want to pvp and don't sound salty like some people who get raided. Perfect person for PvP servers.

Where your going wrong is with the tribes you are joining. Sometimes more people is not always better. It sounds like you are joining up with trolls,  they don't want to build or be friendly on the server,  they just want to male weapons and pvp,  it's a different play style but fun none the less,  it sounds more like you want to build tame and be a part of the server,  better to drop the trolls if that's what you want and just grind out a pvp Base solo,  find a nice alpha talk too them and you should be OK.

Archived