2X?

Balteraxe

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Zaviel said:

Occasionally we skip a 2x, it happens sometimes.  We have many more 2x weekends than we do not though.  The key is we need some form of communication one way or the other.

We have them frequently (and had them more frequently than normal around and just after launch).  That is not "we occasionally skip one".  LOL.  For most of ARKS history they were simply an occasional thing.  Perhaps you don't remember that, which is understandable, but most of us do.

Now they may indeed run one this weekend, which is fine, but you won't know any sooner than you always do.

• Volunteer Moderator
8 minutes ago, LPTF said:

So you're saying one missed weekend is the rule and not the exception? lol

perhaps you should look at Arks history with events, that may help you understand "the rule" is not just the evo events of the last some odd months surrounding Arks retail release. probably not tho....but one can hope. at any rate, 2x or not we go against the Dragon this weekend :)

#transmitter4allon423

Just now, Ranger1 said:

We have them frequently (and had them more frequently than normal around and just after launch).  That is not "we occasionally skip one".  LOL.  For most of ARKS history they were simply an occasional thing.  Perhaps you don't remember that, which is understandable, but most of us do.

Your temperament is not helping the discussion. I've played the game for quite a long time so believe me I get it. You don't seem to see my point is that we need to know one way or the other.

1 minute ago, Zaviel said:

Your temperament is not helping the discussion. I've played the game for quite a long time so believe me I get it. You don't seem to see my point is that we need to know one way or the other.

I can't help it if you have a selective memory, and the only thing wrong with my temperament is that I'm correcting your mis-information.  I also see the point that you'd like advance notice of weekend events.  My point is they have never given much in the way of advanced notice, and likely never will.  They are events announced (when they happen) on the weekend... always have been.  They aren't intended to be something you plan for, nor something you come to take for granted.

Sorry you don't like it, but that's the way it is.

I think a few people are responding a little bit with too much sass, or maybe not, but Ranger actually has a point any long time players would scratch their chin on and begrudgingly agree. The events were never meant to be regular, I don't think (or recall) there ever being a statement they would be regular, but since people liked evolution events they gave us so much we nearly had them every weekend for the past... year now I think... hm, can't remember when it started. It's kind of a 'treat' they throw at the players to keep them engaged. I think we just don't want to see a completely new thread being opened for something with so much unreliability behind it every Friday and some people saying that can sound a bit cranky.

47 minutes ago, TheStrip said:

I think a few people are responding a little bit with too much sass, or maybe not, but Ranger actually has a point any long time players would scratch their chin on and begrudgingly agree. The events were never meant to be regular, I don't think (or recall) there ever being a statement they would be regular, but since people liked evolution events they gave us so much we nearly had them every weekend for the past... year now I think... hm, can't remember when it started. It's kind of a 'treat' they throw at the players to keep them engaged. I think we just don't want to see a completely new thread being opened for something with so much unreliability behind it every Friday and some people saying that can sound a bit cranky.

Thanks, if my tone sounded short and snippy it was because I was very rushed for time when I made them.  I didn't have time to make a fuller (and smoother) explanation.  Let me redress that now.

Players in a game like this tend to establish certain patterns to their game play routine, and usually that routine keeps a game like this fairly well populated most of the time all week long (with a spike up on weekends).

Game companies (like all other good capitalists) like to encourage that with occasional special events (often coinciding with other game events, holidays, or an occasional weekend), to encourage extra activity in their title.  It's healthy for the game, and healthy for the player base.

However when it is done too often, and on a regular basis, it can begin to have a negative effect.

Players begin to change their gaming habits.  They begin to avoid times of normal game play and instead focus their time increasing only during those "specials"... often citing that it's just not worth it to waste time playing at any other time.  This is typified by increased requests for those specials to become both regular, and scheduled in advance for that very same reason.  This pattern has been strongly evident for the last few months.

This is very unhealthy for both the game and the player base as a whole.  It creates times when the game seems dead in comparison (non-special times) and over crowds it during each special (as people try to "make up for lost time").

I realize that to some people this may not be obvious.  That's completely understandable.  But when this pattern emerges people will start objecting to it, and with good reason.  In a situation like this there can literally be "too much of a good thing".  Perhaps it's counter intuitive, but having "Christmas" every weekend, in the long run, is far from a good thing.

Hopefully that explains in a somewhat more palatable way why I and many others don't expect, or want, special events every weekend.  The occasional surprise weekend event, holiday events, DLC launch events... those are fine and very much appreciated.  Making every weekend the "only time worth playing"... not so much.

Archived