4 hours ago, jaypak said:

Sli has always been sht... every game that' been made has used one card and not always the most upto date card... save the power consumption and get a 1080

got a 1080, also run 3440x1440,

1080ti? nah 20xx cards are around the corner.

just considering going SLI with my next purchase

7 hours ago, jaypak said:

Sli has always been sht...

well first...dont misspell to evade the profanity filter. second, having run SLI systems since nvidia 6800 series and having owned every nvidia dual gpu card starting with the 7950 GX2 (other than 690) i have a different opinion of how SLI performs and its usefulness. the first and most important thing to consider is whether or not the games you play scale well with SLI, alot do -- some definitely do not -- research this, alot. there are many other considerations, resolution, expected fps -- "wants all the eye candy", etc. to name a few, and of course you have to take into consideration the rest of your rig. 

i have found ark to scale pretty well going all the way back to 400 series cards, SLI GTX580 3gb at 1080p actually do a pretty good job -- 770's run it nicely, 970's are a bit better (expected more actually, but meh). only have one 1070, TitanX (first gen) and 1080ti atm as prices went back up (tanks bitcoin) so no testing there. someday tho :)

point is, while SLI has a few sticking points (poor scaling, micro stutter) depending on the games you play, i have always found it to be a good investment. 

step 1 -- buy the best single card you can afford

step 2 -- in 6 months to a year, if prices have come down (typically do) get your second. this has let me skip a generation almost every time. 

love hardware tho, so it seems i always go back and buy cards from the skipped generations later when the prices have come down. sorry for alot of text when i guess i could've just said that yes....

SLI def works in Ark.

(pretty sure Chris is rolling with SLI TitanX Xp -- guys gotta monster rig)

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, ThzNutz said:

dont misspell

i have found ark to scale pretty well going all the way back to 400 series cards, SLI GTX580 3gb at 1080p actually do a pretty good job 

I never even though about spelling or filter, that's just me and the way I speak

But I liked your post, we'll informed and was worth a read.

You made good points tho... fact that you can play the game well with sli 580s and you can pick them up for £30 each just proves no one today needs sli 1080 anything... when did 580 come out?... that's how long you can wait in the future before needing to sli 1080s and save yourself some money

1 minute ago, jaypak said:

fact that you can play the game well with sli 580s

"well" is also subjective -- i play more for appearance than raw performance -- it looked good but did have fps drops in larger bases -- as i recall (tested over a year ago iirc) they did well over 60fps in the wild, 35-45 fps in medium to big bases, and very large bases with tons of dinos would bring them down into the high teens/low 20's. there was a bit more frame lag at times and i did get a few driver crashes. given the age of he cards i found this to fall into my definition of "well", considering one card in the same locations (except in the wild, still good fps there) resulted in about half the frames. around 50% scaling is very good, so again falls into my opinion of "well".

if someone were looking for less $$$ cards for an sli setup i would suggest 2x GTX770 2gb or 780's if the price is right. these in SLI performed just as well as my TitanX in alot of situations. it may have been a driver issue/limitation which may be different now, but 2 GTX970 were not much better than the 770's. maybe someday ill get things organized and test again, still trying to find a reasonably priced GTX690.

500 series info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_500_series

how long you can wait, is again, subjective -- those with SLI 1080/ti are future proofed for 2-3 years (imo) but all of that depends on the individual. im sure i could still be using the GTX770 SLI and it be just fine (have a tribe member that has been playing on one of them for over a year) -- but daily on the 580's for me would be pushing it. if its what i had tho, i would play on it:D

20 minutes ago, Mctoozle said:

to be rendered

the initial fps drop due to rendering happens with every card and machine i've tried, regardless of video card/ssd speed/amount of RAM/proc which leads me to believe it cannot be mitigated through hardware and is simply Ark. however, after rendering of structures/dinos, moving around the base resulted in fps in the teens/lower 20's with the 580 SLI config.

for whoever moved the topic, it was originally posted in here and after 24 hours of no response re posted in general where it got traction.

so sli is active now excellent, might explain why my other pcs 690 is doing ok albeit at 1080 res

so the question would be, get another gtx 1080 or wait for 20xx series to drop in the new year(ish)