More Questions (Sorry)

JJAesir

Level 19.

I have recently started ARK, this is my 3rd day on it now, and I am really looking for a good place to get a base built, I would like it well protected naturally so I don't have to build so much to protect myself. If anyone knows Rob (Woofless) and Jon (Jonsandman) from YouTube I think they had a base somewhere in a crater type place with water in the middle and large stone cliffs around the edges making a circle. But I can't find it, it is on The Island.

1) Help with what I need from above please :D

2) While I move all my dinos there, i'm not sure what dinos I should tame to protect us all, i was thinking some Triceratops however a Spinosaur has recently been past and killed most of the dinos in the area, plus the ones I have found keep killing me before I can knock them out.

3) If I start knocking a dino out and then it kills me, does the dino still keep the hits from before, for example a dino takes 10 hits to knock out, if I do 5 hits, it kills me, then i hit it 5 times again, will it knock out or do I have to do all 10 hits again?

4) Is there something like a backpack etc for me to travel with because my weight hasn't been upgraded much yet as I am only level 19, so I can carry more things?

I might add some more questions to the above, so if you have the time to check back later, I would highly appreciate it, thanks for your help and I hope we can find this place to build my base! :D

1: don't be lazy, if you want protection you've got to make it yourself. Not trying to be a jerk but this an unforgiving game. 

2: dilos raptors dimetrodons. Wolves, tame it all. You'll need all the protection you can get

3: it depends how long it takes you to get back. The trans effect doesn't go away if you die it just wears off with time

4: tame something and use it for storage, parasaur or a few dilos 

5: that spot you mentioned sounds like the oasis in the ne .. it's got beaver dams so it'll be a high traffic area and in PvP you probably don't want that. Plus building in an area rich with cementing paste will only lead to your demise. Try somewhere a bit more hidden

See previous replies definitely. It's all great advice. 

As for carrying your stuff, any dino will work. Pretty much anything but a dodo has more health than you anyway. Weathertop in the southern part of the Island is pretty safe unless the rare alpha carno spawns in. It is basically surrounded by swamp on 3 sides at the bottom of the cliffs, so getting resources early on requires a flier if you don't have anything to ride through the swamp that a kapro won't knock you off of. There's also a nice peninsula on the Western Coast with a little bay that has plenty of trees and bushes. I only play single player, so I don't know about where most of the online community like to build and whatnot.

I really hope that's not a new official pve map :S those aren't doing to well atm and you may run into some major problems that you don't even know are problems because youre new like pillars blocking any decent place to build and dino cap being reached on the server. I'd suggest a player dedicated or single player world while you learn the basics of the game since they do take quite a while to get the hang of. Don't rush this part of the game for yourself, because believe it or not this part of you playing ark will be the most fun you will have in this game even if it is frustrating. :) 

7 hours ago, JJAesir said:

I seem to remember it a bit differently but that was a while ago so this might be it, thank you so much

If it was a small pond, it was probably off to the left most side of the peninsula. there's a modest pond with a decent amount of rocks around it. Me and my guys's base was set up there for a long time before we moved to a different server. 

8 hours ago, JJAesir said:

Level 19.

I have recently started ARK, this is my 3rd day on it now, and I am really looking for a good place to get a base built, I would like it well protected naturally so I don't have to build so much to protect myself. If anyone knows Rob (Woofless) and Jon (Jonsandman) from YouTube I think they had a base somewhere in a crater type place with water in the middle and large stone cliffs around the edges making a circle. But I can't find it, it is on The Island.

1) Help with what I need from above please :D

2) While I move all my dinos there, i'm not sure what dinos I should tame to protect us all, i was thinking some Triceratops however a Spinosaur has recently been past and killed most of the dinos in the area, plus the ones I have found keep killing me before I can knock them out.

3) If I start knocking a dino out and then it kills me, does the dino still keep the hits from before, for example a dino takes 10 hits to knock out, if I do 5 hits, it kills me, then i hit it 5 times again, will it knock out or do I have to do all 10 hits again?

4) Is there something like a backpack etc for me to travel with because my weight hasn't been upgraded much yet as I am only level 19, so I can carry more things?

I might add some more questions to the above, so if you have the time to check back later, I would highly appreciate it, thanks for your help and I hope we can find this place to build my base! :D

Did you have all of your questions answered? 

1) Building below a cliff can be dangerous because wild creatures can fall into your base. Better to have it on a hill. Avoid mountains, most have gigas spawning.

2) Carnivores. An allo pack works really well. I use them to protect tames when I can't build spikes.

3) Depends on the dino and the time it takes before you continue to tranq it. But it won't reset the torpor if you die.

4) Nope. Weight is most important (for me). So start leveling. :)

Archived