Does inbreeding negatively affect dinos?

DukeFromArk

there are few people who believe inbreeding increases the chances of a mutation. In all honesty, isn't that a good thing?

Once all top stats get combined that is the whole goal to breed for stat mutations in the long run.

Not really sure why it is an issue since no negative effects come from stat mutations to begin with.

The servers are all getting capped, this methodology of breeding doesnt help by having multiple bloodlines of the same type of dino.

I don't see the benefit.

Just now, Demerus said:

there are few people who believe inbreeding increases the chances of a mutation. In all honesty, isn't that a good thing?

Once all top stats get combined that is the whole goal to breed for stat mutations in the long run.

Not really sure why it is an issue since no negative effects come from stat mutations to begin with.

what he said, never had any negative effects myself tbh

4 minutes ago, DarkSurvivor said:

it doesnt affect the stats, but i think it will affect the mutation number. if you breed with new line you will get a better chance at getting new mutation or something like that. (mutation are good here) not 100% sure tho but its not bad to breed out of your line as it doesnt decrease stats. 

Yeah the only real negative is once they have the same stats from breeding, they will not gain any excess levels unless from mutations. Once there are too many mutations, there will not be any new ones present. So breeding out of the bloodline opens up more chances for different mutations. 

17 hours ago, DukeFromArk said:

My tribe leader thinks inbreeding negatively affects their stats

It has no affect on the stats in any way.

For example, if the parents of a baby argy have 30 levels of melee for the father and 32 levels of melee for the mother, then the chance that the offspring will have 30 levels or 32 levels of melee will not be affected by inbreeding in any way. It doesn't matter whether the father & mother are two fresh wild tames or if the father and mother are each the offspring from multiple generations of inbreeding, both babies have identical chances of having either 30 or 32 levels of melee.

17 hours ago, DukeFromArk said:

but I no for a fact it doesn't mess with the chances of mutations. Can anyone confirm it doesn't affect stats?

That's not exactly true.

There is a limit to the number of mutations any dino can have, that limit is 20. If the dino inherits 20 mutations from its two parents then there is no chance of a new mutation occuring for the offspring. That could be 10 mutations each from the father and mother, or it could be 20 from the father and 0 from the mother. No matter how you add them up, if a baby inherits 20 mutations from the parents it will not have any new mutations, ever. So if you're breeding more generations to see if you can find new color mutations, you will never get anything new if the father and mother add up to 20 or more mutations.

Let's say the father and mother each have 20 mutations, and they are from completely different bloodlines. In theory that could be a maximum of 40 mutations, but it doesn't matter, their offspring will still max out at 20 mutations, some from the father and some from the mother, and it will never have any new mutations of its own.

Also, if you're breeding for stats and you know that the father, or mother, or both, already have some color mutations, then those are "wasted" mutations for your new bloodline. In that case, you would usually prefer a relatively fresh bloodline that doesn't have any color mutations, only mutations for good stats.

On 11/9/2017 at 2:46 AM, Pipinghot said:

There is a limit to the number of mutations any dino can have, that limit is 20.

Everything else I read says there is no limit to the number of mutations a dino can have as long as one parent is below 20. My understanding is there is a determination if there will be a mutation (2.5% chance), then a random parents stat/color is determined for mutation, then the stats/color are selected that will be applied to the baby and perhaps the mutated color/stat will be selected. So as long as one of the dinos is at 19/20 there is a chance for a mutation and that mutation being selected and applied to the baby.

Inbreeding doesn't effect negatively at all, your tribe leader is looking at it in a way of how inbreeding isnt a good thing IRL... stats transfering and mutating doesnt care if they are brother / sis, mother / son, grandfather /  granddaughter.... if anything you benefit more if they share stats so your near guarantee'd a stat transfer or mutation.

Archived