Change dino level variation

FaithlessDbo

So I have noticed a very strange thing in my server. I see a lot of wild dino's with the same levels running around. Like I can only see a variation of lets say 10 levels throughout the game. For example I see level 27, 33, 163, 21 and all of these levels are shown with xx wild dino's. Is there a server configuration that will give more level diversity?

Thank you in advance.

On 11/9/2017 at 2:59 AM, FaithlessDbo said:

If that is the case then how is it possible that I see a lot of the same wild dino's with always the same levels? :S I made my max levels for wild dino's 300

There are plenty of servers that do not have this problem.

It's random, and like any random system it sometimes runs in streaks. It's like if you roll dice a lot of times in a row, you'll see strange "patterns" some times, with multiple rolls of the same number, or a certain number sequence that repeats itself multiple times, or a bunch of low numbers for a while and then a bunch of high numbers for a while.

The levels of animals in ARK are basically the same way. You might visit a certain spot on the map where all of the animals are Lvl 50 or below for a week, and then the following week there will be a bunch of high levels. Meanwhile, on some other part of the map you'll see the levels go up and down radically from day to day.

The bottom line is this - it's random. And it's really easy to imagine that we see patterns in randomness that don't really exist, they're just an illusion. If you go out one day specifically looking for certain high level dinos then it's always going to feel in your mind like they're never there when you want them, pretty much the worst thing you can do is fly around the map hoping to find the good stuff you're looking for. The only good strategy for getting good level dinos is to make sure you have all the supplies you need, at your base, prepared in advance, so that when you see the dino you want at the level you want you will already be prepared.

There are people who will tell you that you get higher levels right after you restart the server. They're wrong. There are people who will tell you that you start with lower levels after you restart your server and then get higher levels the longer your server is up. They're also wrong. If you look for patterns in the way your server creates new dinos you can easily convince yourself that you see them, it's all an illusion. Good dinos will show up when they show up, and there's nothing you can to about it, your only good option is to be prepared for when they show up in front of you.

Archived