Swamp Cave tips

Ramrod43

So I have spent some time breeding Dimorphs and taming a Baryonx with the intention of clearing the Swamp cave. I also collected the materials to have extra gear incase mine broke. 

Long story short I got most of the way through and my gear and back up broke. I respawned at my sleeping bag ( right out of the cave) where I had a chest with another set of gear. I went to go back in to get my tames and body and all the dinos in the cave had respawned. I don't know how to get back and basically can't at this point. 

Im asking for any tips ( Centipedes are my bane) for next time I try to run through this. 

Thanks.

Are you doing this solo or with a friend? Because I do this with a friend with 2 raw prime meat tamed frogs with 65.8 MC saddles on official servers. The only things I take on my body is 2 gas masks, medical brews and some food. 

The stats on my frogs are:

2k health

600 stam

350-400% melee (I think not 100% on that one)

These shred the flies, snakes and spider. The centipedes are not too difficult, because they commonly come in a pair, you can kill both if there is two of you on frogs and then just force feed before moving onto the next room. One of my tribe recently lost my frog on the way back from the cave to a baryonx.. that frog had 1.3million xp... wasnt very happy at all... 

Depends what's purpose of going into cave. Artefact/Explorer nodes/EXP and if you are soloing or being there with friend.

First thing is easily doable solo, rest is more complicated. If you are there just for artefact you can grapple into artefact room right from first big room with pillar in middle

In general we find out most effective way is to use ghelie and gas masks (4 of them if you plan to go for explorer nodes), most effective way how to get rid of mosquitoes are swords combined with higher melee dmg. Rest by dinos. We prefer baryonyx.

Asc pike from the back of a baryonyx will kill all the flies quicker than any Dino, 

Take a xbow and flame arrow the centipedes, mostly you can agro them away from the spiders and fight them on their own.

Baryonyx seems to block centipedes spit from the front 

Take hyeanadons in a pack of 5 or so,  they will clear the cave with you following on the bary 

Red drop at the end spawns twice,  you have to leave the room and go back in for it to respawn.

Take 50 metal foundations with you and bomb the whole cave as you clear it you can block most of if not all the hostile spawns and just leave it empty to collect drops. Xp is better got elsewhere,  cheaper and easier.

1 hour ago, Dylan1602 said:

Are you doing this solo or with a friend? Because I do this with a friend with 2 raw prime meat tamed frogs with 65.8 MC saddles on official servers. The only things I take on my body is 2 gas masks, medical brews and some food. 

The stats on my frogs are:

2k health

600 stam

350-400% melee (I think not 100% on that one)

These shred the flies, snakes and spider. The centipedes are not too difficult, because they commonly come in a pair, you can kill both if there is two of you on frogs and then just force feed before moving onto the next room. One of my tribe recently lost my frog on the way back from the cave to a baryonx.. that frog had 1.3million xp... wasnt very happy at all... 

I am soloing these runs. I don't have anyone in my tribe except for my son who is 9 and not very helpful lol. Good to know about the frogs though. I didnt think they would do that well and I have loads of scorp kib. 

18 hours ago, Ramrod43 said:

I am soloing these runs. I don't have anyone in my tribe except for my son who is 9 and not very helpful lol. Good to know about the frogs though. I didnt think they would do that well and I have loads of scorp kib. 

Solo can be done with a frog but it is difficult and you will have to force feed after every single battle no matter what. For solo I recommend a high level baryonx with a good saddle and plenty of fish meat before going in because it will not heal from the normal meat you get inside. I've never tried but if you can use a weapon or items whilst riding it will make everything so much easier, but I have never used items, I've just riden. The only issue with the baryonx is the flies can shred you if you don't kill them early. 

Otherwise if you can get your son to help because it is a lot of button mashing when in the fights with the frogs because it has a little knockback and a wide hit so you can control tight areas with 2 frogs and receiving barely any hits yourself. You and your boy would be able to do it and have great fun, you would just need to take control and say stay behind you and take it with caution. And when you get more experienced you can get a bit more reckless. 

Few advices based on my experience:

• I think Carno is a bit better for this cave than Baryonyx due to healing with normal meat and nice knock-back attack. Never tried it with a frog but wouldn't recommend going solo with this weak creature.
  • Take second tame to follow you for mate boost - they don't get stuck in the corridors as one could think, just remember to remove leeches from both tames.
  • Use enduro stew - it's cheap and restores some health over 15 minutes
  • Always have spare set of ghillie set + scuba mask/tank with you (gas masks are too expensive for me) in case it get destroyed
  • Once you clear some space you can easily flee from annoying mosquitos - they forget you really quick and will not bite again until attacked.
  • Ants are one of most annoying creatures because their poison stops stamina regen for a quite long time - try to kill them asap before they bite.

22 hours ago, SmokeyB said:

Asc pike from the back of a baryonyx will kill all the flies quicker than any Dino, 

Take a xbow and flame arrow the centipedes, mostly you can agro them away from the spiders and fight them on their own.

Baryonyx seems to block centipedes spit from the front 

Take hyeanadons in a pack of 5 or so,  they will clear the cave with you following on the bary 

Red drop at the end spawns twice,  you have to leave the room and go back in for it to respawn.

Take 50 metal foundations with you and bomb the whole cave as you clear it you can block most of if not all the hostile spawns and just leave it empty to collect drops. Xp is better got elsewhere,  cheaper and easier.

2 hours ago, Dylan1602 said:

Solo can be done with a frog but it is difficult and you will have to force feed after every single battle no matter what. For solo I recommend a high level baryonx with a good saddle and plenty of fish meat before going in because it will not heal from the normal meat you get inside. I've never tried but if you can use a weapon or items whilst riding it will make everything so much easier, but I have never used items, I've just riden. The only issue with the baryonx is the flies can shred you if you don't kill them early. 

Otherwise if you can get your son to help because it is a lot of button mashing when in the fights with the frogs because it has a little knockback and a wide hit so you can control tight areas with 2 frogs and receiving barely any hits yourself. You and your boy would be able to do it and have great fun, you would just need to take control and say stay behind you and take it with caution. And when you get more experienced you can get a bit more reckless. 

Thanks @Dylan1602 I really appreciate the tips. I will try out getting on a baryonx with a nice pike. I never thought of bringing my kid along but you're probably right. he would love it. 

1 hour ago, Bucz said:

Few advices based on my experience:

• I think Carno is a bit better for this cave than Baryonyx due to healing with normal meat and nice knock-back attack. Never tried it with a frog but wouldn't recommend going solo with this weak creature.
  • Take second tame to follow you for mate boost - they don't get stuck in the corridors as one could think, just remember to remove leeches from both tames.
  • Use enduro stew - it's cheap and restores some health over 15 minutes
  • Always have spare set of ghillie set + scuba mask/tank with you (gas masks are too expensive for me) in case it get destroyed
  • Once you clear some space you can easily flee from annoying mosquitos - they forget you really quick and will not bite again until attacked.
  • Ants are one of most annoying creatures because their poison stops stamina regen for a quite long time - try to kill them asap before they bite.

I tamed a carno for the sole purpose of doing this cave and I couldn't get it to fit in there. I even jumped off and tried to have it follow me. thanks for the advise in anycase, very useful info here. 

22 hours ago, SmokeyB said:

22 hours ago, Ramrod43 said:

I would second the use of the pack of hyaenadon as Smokey has said, especially being solo. I solo the swamp cave now with my bary and pack of 5 hyaenadon on my single player server. I wish I had done this back when I was official. I just walk behind the pack whistling the pack onto the wild creatures and the hyaenas self heal on the stuff they kill.

36 minutes ago, Norb said:

a swarm of vultures. Take a couple of shields and let the vultures do the work. They crush all bugs , snakes and everything smaller than a Diplo. My set have 600%+ melee. Each one bites like at Rex at 225% melee. They regen health quickly and you can force feed them if needed (but it's not).

What health are your Vultures at? I have mine bred and leveled to nice stats for melee but I'm unsure what to level their health up to as a minimum for caves?

On 11/7/2017 at 9:55 AM, Ramrod43 said:

So I have spent some time breeding Dimorphs and taming a Baryonx with the intention of clearing the Swamp cave. I also collected the materials to have extra gear incase mine broke. 

Long story short I got most of the way through and my gear and back up broke. I respawned at my sleeping bag ( right out of the cave) where I had a chest with another set of gear. I went to go back in to get my tames and body and all the dinos in the cave had respawned. I don't know how to get back and basically can't at this point. 

Im asking for any tips ( Centipedes are my bane) for next time I try to run through this. 

Thanks.

It's not your assets that are lacking, but your caving strategy.

You can easily clear the cave with just a high lvl baryonyx without losing your armor. When you see a centipede, run straight up to it and kill it right away. They only shoot acid when they are far away, so attack it immediately.

EDIT: also, take a lot of fish meat-barys heal immensely when being force-fed (i think around 10 hp apiece, which can stack up significantly)

4 minutes ago, Ramrod43 said:

Thanks @Dylan1602 I really appreciate the tips. I will try out getting on a baryonx with a nice pike. I never thought of bringing my kid along but you're probably right. he would love it. 

No problem at all. It is a great release from the grind of Ark. If you just fly around the swamp and find 2 high level frogs and tame them. Preferably you want to get mate boost to make it a bit easier and then get hold of some high level saddles. I had 65 armour saddles and I never really go below 3/5 of my health per room, just force feed after each battle to be 100% safe! 

Then you'll be swimming in cement paste and your level will fly up. Just when you do your first run take it slowly, take your time and play it super safe then as you learn it more and more it'll become so much easier.

22 hours ago, ABigHead said:

What health are your Vultures at? I have mine bred and leveled to nice stats for melee but I'm unsure what to level their health up to as a minimum for caves?

They are 2000 to 2500 health. Tones of mutations. I've seen some in Video's with 4000 health. I will hatch a new Gen or 2 this weekend depending on the maturation boost. A flock of 8 to 10 with a shoulder mount they don't die from much except operator error.... Happy to trade if you have something good or unusual. 

All these suggestions are great, but most require more effort than neccessary.

3 frogs, each over lvl 120, 3k health, 300 melee, 1000 stam.

Set to agressive, and have two follow on. Walk far enough into the cave to aggro one enemy, and they will clear the room.

Thats all you need. You wont be fighting anything, they will literally clear all rooms for you, gaining you THOUSANDS of CP and chitin in the process.

Scodp kib is very easy to grind quickly, and even high lvl frogs tame in 20 minutes or so on normal rates.

24 minutes ago, SAssassin said:

All these suggestions are great, but most require more effort than neccessary.

3 frogs, each over lvl 120, 3k health, 300 melee, 1000 stam.

Set to agressive, and have two follow on. Walk far enough into the cave to aggro one enemy, and they will clear the room.

Thats all you need. You wont be fighting anything, they will literally clear all rooms for you, gaining you THOUSANDS of CP and chitin in the process.

Scodp kib is very easy to grind quickly, and even high lvl frogs tame in 20 minutes or so on normal rates.

speaking of more work than neccessary. errbody def is. i take one barryonix with decent saddle and half an imprint. use gas mask that dont get busted by arthors off the back of barry and ez clear

Archived