Jaywall

Xbox one X still has a host tether

I haven't tested it as my One X doesn't arrive until next week, but didn't they say the following:

Host tether removed for local co-op/split screen and increased for online play.

So it seems that in 1 way, the tether has been removed as they stated. I don't believe they ever said it'd be gone altogether for online co-op, but dramatically increased (and they'd see how far they could take it).

8 minutes ago, TranqRex said:

I haven't tested it as my One X doesn't arrive until next week, but didn't they say the following:

So it seems that in 1 way, the tether has been removed as they stated. I don't believe they ever said it'd be gone altogether for online co-op, but dramatically increased (and they'd see how far they could take it).

I would like to know what they increased it to though lol.

6 minutes ago, Joebl0w13 said:

The changes made to tether removal and/or distance is only for the Xbox One X.

That's kinda BS, it's not like we haven't been asking for that since they added local multiplayer, but whatever floats their boat. Thanks for the quick response.

Edited by DestroyerDeki
  • Facepalm 1

18 hours ago, DestroyerDeki said:

That's kinda BS, it's not like we haven't been asking for that since they added local multiplayer, but whatever floats their boat. Thanks for the quick response.

Not really....Xbox one cant handle that. 

Ever notice how if you play on the map and lets say a dino is attacking another dinosaur and you fly by it? If you notice...you can fly back that exact same spot 20 minutes later and that same dinosaur is fighting the exact same dino.

Ever notice how if you die leaving a dino somewhere on the map? Well on a server it would probably be dead...as the server and the world continue regardless of where you are or if offline. But notice how if you go back to where you died your dino is safe and everything around to continues to render and continue where you left off?

Xbox cannot render an entire map on its own. Thats why if you host a server on your xbox you cant play on it

On 2017-11-07 at 7:58 AM, TranqRex said:

This was the initial tweet from ark Jeremy that had people thinking there would be no tether "For ARK, if the session HOST is running an Xbox One X, anyone connected to that host will not have tether regardless of clients' consoles :)"

2017 08 18

i wish I could link it but the apps on my phone don't really work for that

Edited by KingGalahad

2 hours ago, KingGalahad said:

This was the initial tweet from ark Jeremy that had people thinking there would be no tether "For ARK, if the session HOST is running an Xbox One X, anyone connected to that host will not have tether regardless of clients' consoles :)"

2017 08 18

Yeah I remember seeing that, it was probably a mistake on his part and he should have worded that better. They said stuff in the press (like this, for example) and it wasn't clarified, so it does still read like the host barrier will be removed and it isn't dependant on being local or not. Yet again, WC communication issues ;)

21 hours ago, KingGalahad said:

2017 08 18

He originally assumed that the xbox one x could handle it. Obviously it couldn't. They wanted to remove it but I'm sure they did their best. The game would be more popular if they could remove it so they wouldn't hold it back if they could help it. Since that tweet he has tweeted at least once if not 2 or 3 times that the tether was only being removed from split screen and increased on non dedi.

On 11/8/2017 at 11:41 AM, Racna1305 said:

Not really....Xbox one cant handle that. 

Ever notice how if you play on the map and lets say a dino is attacking another dinosaur and you fly by it? If you notice...you can fly back that exact same spot 20 minutes later and that same dinosaur is fighting the exact same dino.

Ever notice how if you die leaving a dino somewhere on the map? Well on a server it would probably be dead...as the server and the world continue regardless of where you are or if offline. But notice how if you go back to where you died your dino is safe and everything around to continues to render and continue where you left off?

Xbox cannot render an entire map on its own. Thats why if you host a server on your xbox you cant play on it

I've never experienced that. My Xbox is a newer one. 

When they added the tether distance slider, I had cranked it up to 7000 and we could play on opposite sides of the map without any problems. 

I can see older Xboxes having problems, but mine has never had any issues with this sort of thing. 

Nothing I can do, though. Guess I'm ploppin' down $500 just so me and my roommate don't have to play the game stuck to each other!

6 hours ago, DestroyerDeki said:

I've never experienced that. My Xbox is a newer one. 

When they added the tether distance slider, I had cranked it up to 7000 and we could play on opposite sides of the map without any problems. 

I can see older Xboxes having problems, but mine has never had any issues with this sort of thing. 

Nothing I can do, though. Guess I'm ploppin' down $500 just so me and my roommate don't have to play the game stuck to each other!

You never seen it cause you never paid attention. Unlike servers an an entire single player ark map is presistent when you are somewhere else on the map. For example if you were flying to your base and seen a parasaur walking north when you get far enough that parasaur goes stagnant until you are in range again and it continues its walk. If you played for 4 hours after seeing that parasuar I bet you when you back there it will still be there rendering when you got in range

But I can vouch with my xbox one X the game MUCH better without that range in splint screen. Even to the point when im not home she can play by herself leaving me in the base and she can go and do what she wants.

Center is bugged...when 2nd player walks i the water it ports them to the host