pve Let's real talk about PVE, Offline Protection & the land /water dino grab

TheStrip

Fact is, when the golem became the new wipe a base workshop for pve and all they said was it was part of the game, build better that's the exact moment any reason for saying grabbing shouldn't be allowed went out the window. If a wild golem being led to your base is considered the same thing as it randomly finding it's way, then the same could be said for the example posted earlier about wolves. 10 wolves can find the base just as much as a never moving unless aggro'd rock golem... Or a alpha wyvern that only spawns in the scar..

My vote is bring back grabbing.
But the wolves can't get in unless dropped in if you have walls. And if you are on the island it's easy to build in a location that is relitivly giga and titan proof then ad metal pillars outside your bohemeths and nobody can touch you. Everyone should build as much to defend against kiting as they do against random roaming dinos

1 hour ago, Jonais said:

Non aggressive dinos only become aggressive when you attack them, and they are only aggressive toward the person who attacked, so someone could drop 100 stegos in a person's yard, but those stegos would just clutter up the yard. It would be annoying for sure, but that's not much different than if they just kited them to the front of their base and left them at the wall. Chances are they would despawn as well unless the troll stayed within render range.

If I was a griefer this is what I would do. Drop 200 stegos (the number may not be realistic...just bear with me) THEN after they are "cluttering up your yard" I would attack one near your dinos. They would kill your dinos. If your dinos were on neutral then I would not need to stick around to continue agroing.

If you do not know how the wild dino AI works or if you disagree with my interpretation of how the wild dino AI works then....I guess we can agree to disagree. No point going back and forth with: "yes they will" and "no they wont". I encourage you to test it out if you think I am wrong.  You might be surprised.

Bottom line is there was a very good reason they removed the ability to carry wild. At the time they did it the players who were playing the game at the time agreed with it save a very few (likely most were the griefers) and all understood the reasoning. The griefing was horrible. 

But the wolves can't get in unless dropped in if you have walls. And if you are on the island it's easy to build in a location that is relitivly giga and titan proof then ad metal pillars outside your bohemeths and nobody can touch you. Everyone should build as much to defend against kiting as they do against random roaming dinos
I see what you're saying, and it's a good point. My only thought on that is doesn't matter how many behemoth gates you have unless they are all metal it never stops a rock golem from being kited. They eat thru gates. I think it's fair to say, a good few Rex's on nuetral can handle any dropped Dino's, and is easy to obtain than solid metal gates around a base vs golem. But fair points all around for sure.

With that said, I'm still all for giving back grabbing. I was around when it was still active and the benefits imo far out weight the down sides.

I can see the problem here, but isn't it possible to lead packs of wild animals on paracer ramps or a quetz and drop them in? I have never experienced anyone doing this but it's pretty much the same as picking anything up and dropping it. 

Perhaps it would be good if all buildings and all animals NEAR your own (/allies) buildings are offline protected.

People wouldn't leave their animals all around the map and on the obi and you'd still be able to make room on blocked obis if neccessary (sadly it sometimes is).

some mobile taming fence would be nice too, that loses health over time like the tent, but can be placed over unconscious dinos to protect them from wild, and right next to other peoples structures.

It just sucks that taming sometimes is a pain and grabbing would save so much time of just sitting there.

It's also really sad that some animals are just no fun to use without grabbing. When kapros were new we were running around on them laughing, grabbing whatever was close and throwing it on each other. Now we don't have any kapros, no one wanta to use them. We killed them off :(

I'm not a griefer, I have few bad experiences with kited dinos, most of the time wild ones were a problem and I built better to counter it. I don't want to kill dinos of other players, except if they drop orp protected ones in my base, in front of caves, or on the obi. I want to grab wild dinos for easier taming and for fun.

Early on I thought grabbing would be great but I've come to appreciate the cat and mouse game for taming. I don't even build traps where I can really. I go back and forth with Rex's, sometimes tanking them, sometimes running from them and kiting them to wild stego's to keep them busy while I dart them. Sometimes it backfires (Lost a chance at 140 theri the other day because it hit a megatherium that then got a bug buff and evaporated the thing) but for carnivores you can heal them if they take damage and stim them to wake them up and drop hunger if they were to get injured in the wild. We did it last night with a Saber. 

I appreciate some traps (primarily for flyers and Theri's) but no grabbing is fine by me as it makes you plan a little better and makes the tame more interesting. I do agree it sucks not being able to protect your tame once it is down in a lot of areas with Spike Walls and I have lost quite a few to that but outside of making specific taming spikes that will auto decay after 12 hours, I don't know how else to fix that. if taming spikes were a thing it would become a new troll technique. Just lay new taming spikes every 12 hours wherever you want. 

Further regarding  the troll aspect. ORP helps but it can not help too. If someone kites a Golem to your base then leaves while you are ORP the Golem is just going to turn into a rock as it doesn't recognize your dino's (similar to how a Leed doesn't recognize raft's on ORP) but the minute you log on the Golem will recognize your dino's and begin attacking. The same goes for anything. That's why you only leave outside what you are willing to lose. 

I seen an example above with Stego's. With a flyer grab someone could put a forever amount of Stego's or even better Kentro's in your base while you are offline. If you have plant X it will aggro the Stego's and all a Kentro has to be is close to a dino and it will aggro plus they get a pack buff once you come online. Kentro's, wolves, hyena's. Someone could drop a 100 of these into your base walls while ORP is active and when you log on they'd aggro what ever they aggro and they'd have a significant chance to kill anything even the stuff on neutral. I seen a 145 Yuty get decimated by a pack of 12 wolves, 3 Alpha's the other day. It can be a lot to handle even for a well bred dino. 

I understand and appreciate ORP to some extent. I know it saved a buddy's base the other day when we seen a Giga spawned in his walls. We knew he was about to get on and were able to message him not to fast enough and get the Giga out of there. However, without ORP maybe people would be more wary of where they build (like not on a Giga spawn) which would actually benefit the whole server. It would also make base defense something in PvE and not just behemoth gates but plant x and maybe even auto turrets. It would prevent people from just parking their dino's anywhere, which is just lazy, and signing off for a week with no worries in the world. 

I am sure my base/dino's have been saved by ORP. I remember logging on and seeing dino's killed before ORP but each death made me adjust (evolve if you will ;)) and learn how to survive in the world of Ark which is a 24 hour/7 day a week world. One of the draws of the game IMO. 

So ORP: Either way doesn't bother me

Dino grab: while it has perks i wouldn't be for this though i'd most likely use it if it was available

Trolls: Smash them first

On 2017. 11. 08. at 8:46 PM, Weiss said:
  On 2017. 11. 08. at 7:55 PM, Luke123 said:

How about you can pick up dinos but you can't drop them in peoples bases. They could implement something like the way you can't build right beside someone because it's says too close to enemy foundation howabout the same for dropping animals in PvE

Full support!

I don't think I have seen anyone present this point of view yet so...

I started this game in PvP mostly because I did not know there was a PvE option. I got lucky and found a server that was PvE oriented. The alpha tribe was really cool and had the idea for the server as PvE with PvP ability to enforce. It was great. Weird inner tribe politics (?) from the tribe I joined (3rd in line to alpha as they saw it) drove me off the server. Then I found a PvE server to play on. I spent about 2 hours trying to pick up dinos to tame.....then when I asked in global about it I got laugh at of course but they set me straight. So I had to rethink taming. It was so much easier on PvP. But then as I thought about it I remembered that on PvP I did get griefed a few times. I lost my first mammoth tame to a dire wolf that had no way of getting in my base accept through griefer action. 

Not only could I in PvP get revenge if I saw who did it where as in PvE they could do it right in front of you and you would not be able to do anything about it, but in PvP increasing turret coverage kept griefers away. The other thing.....is that not being able to pick up wild dinos (to take to a taming pit) really does increase the "E" in PvE. It forces people out of their protected bases to tame dinos. In PvP you need that added ability to be able to tame in a protected area from other  hostile players, but in PvE it actually makes sense to force you to do that....and it makes PVE more challenging and fun in many ways. I actually like the added challenge of not being able to pick up wild dinos. 

I'm really encouraged by people's constructive and respectful discussion here, you guys are making me a proud! :Jerblove: Just to help keep the discussion on topic though, I'm seeing some people starting to mention flyer grabs. I'd like to keep the discussion only to the terrestrial dinos that cannot fly, so thats dinos such as kapros, tusos and megalosauruses. 

Just wanted to add something to the topic I started as well, I reckon that if your tamed land dino cannot be picked up by a flyer such as quetzals while having grabbed a wild dino really makes it hard to imagine how it can impact well-defended bases. I heard this protection was enforced while the grabbing was still intact for the brief amount of time that it was still a thing. 

Slight off topic, the point that I personally would like to emphasise on the most is the tusos healing regen that comes with its grab. I think I am willing to compromise if our tusos can at least regen with the right click even if it does not grab the wild dino. I'd like to hear people's opinion about this, wondering if it's as divisive as the main topic.

edit: I would also like the attack to inflict torpor as well perhaps?

1 hour ago, TheStrip said:

I'm really encouraged by people's constructive and respectful discussion here, you guys are making me a proud! :Jerblove: Just to help keep the discussion on topic though, I'm seeing some people starting to mention flyer grabs. I'd like to keep the discussion only to the terrestrial dinos that cannot fly, so thats dinos such as kapros, tusos and megalosauruses. 

Just wanted to add something to the topic I started as well, I reckon that if your tamed land dino cannot be picked up by a flyer such as quetzals while having grabbed a wild dino really makes it hard to imagine how it can impact well-defended bases. I heard this protection was enforced while the grabbing was still intact for the brief amount of time that it was still a thing. 

Slight off topic, the point that I personally would like to emphasise on the most is the tusos healing regen that comes with its grab. I think I am willing to compromise if our tusos can at least regen with the right click even if it does not grab the wild dino. I'd like to hear people's opinion about this, wondering if it's as divisive as the main topic.

edit: I would also like the attack to inflict torpor as well perhaps?

If any of those dinos (minus the squid of course) can pick up a wild dino then it can be transport on flyers such as quetz platform saddles...or ramps on paracers/brontos over walls into base. Only the aquatic dinos can be separated. I know you want to....but it will not work. And not to take the wind out of your sails...but I am gonna anyway...It is a moot discussion as the devs have already worked the problem and made the solution. Very few disagree with their solution...even if begrudgingly. You can discuss it all you want but don't get your hopes up for change. 

I know I am a "Negative Nancy" with all that...but it is the facts. But who knows. Maybe an awesome idea will come of this and dev will actually read it and poof something comes of it. But like I said....

0848cba1a97180c12eb83fc7f228d6c535ddb1e5

3 hours ago, Midnight_ said:

If any of those dinos (minus the squid of course) can pick up a wild dino then it can be transport on flyers such as quetz platform saddles...or ramps on paracers/brontos over walls into base. Only the aquatic dinos can be separated. I know you want to....but it will not work. And not to take the wind out of your sails...but I am gonna anyway...It is a moot discussion as the devs have already worked the problem and made the solution. Very few disagree with their solution...even if begrudgingly. You can discuss it all you want but don't get your hopes up for change. 

I know I am a "Negative Nancy" with all that...but it is the facts. But who knows. Maybe an awesome idea will come of this and dev will actually read it and poof something comes of it. But like I said....

You're not being a negative Nancy, and you were invited here, so you are most welcome here. I could agree with everything except the discussion being moot. This post was not made to create some sort of revolutionary change in the game as otherwise this would be in the suggestions section and I know well enough a single thread isn't going to be read by the devs or anyone in WC could care. I simply asked what are people's experiences so far, and so far people have given just that and sometimes have shared a little more just a little out of topic which offers a little something personally new to me and maybe others which is exactly what I was hoping it would. All your posts were appreciated, but please try not to egg people to suddenly spend posts why we all can't enjoy talking if it is the reason for your vocal dismissiveness, I want my and other's perspective and ideas to be challenged here through organised thoughts and backed with as much merit we can provide using the tools available in this forum. 

This isn't chat though, so if you don't agree with this statement, I kindly encourage you to move on if you have shared everything you needed to on your previous posts. With that out of the way, back on topic to the next poster if there will be one.

2 hours ago, Jacira said:

Can we also talk about the building being broken in here? Can't seem to talk about that anywhere else.

You may argue your case if it has something to do with the topic and keywords, otherwise I encourage you to make a thread if you can piece your thoughts out in a productive structure for consumption :)

I would like the wild dinos that are designed to grab still be able to do so in PVE, otherwise they are a complete waste except for kibble. I'm talking specifically about the Kapro and the Megalosaurus, although would be happy for the Tuso to also have its ability back.  The argument against the grab ability working is around it being used for griefing, however there is a definite size limit on what they can carry. Besides if you really want to grief people there are still ways of doing it without these dinos.

On 11/8/2017 at 6:55 PM, Luke123 said:

How about you can pick up dinos but you can't drop them in peoples bases. They could implement something like the way you can't build right beside someone because it's says too close to enemy foundation howabout the same for dropping animals in PvE

This actually could be a thing with more detail...how about each player spawns with a Home beacon that they can place (and maybe move on a cooldown?). The beacon gives ORP and prevents wild dinos passing through in a dome radius, the radius growing as your level grows. Maybe even implement progress milestones like...irrigate it to +10% radius, power with electricity for another 10% etc. 

Plus points - Would solve other issues such as pillar spamming, Obelisk blocking. Encourages teamwork and tribes to band together to build "outposts" in other areas. 

Negative points - radius could be limiting depending on how people wish to build. Griefing still possible if wild dinos dropped in / kited before ORP kicks in.

• 2 weeks later...

Im new to the forums, but been playing alot of PvE lately. (Not fan of PvP KoS scourge in survival games xD)

I'd like to vote for the ability to grab wild dinos back. For ground and sea atleast. I have a megalosaurus i'd like to fully utilize since it took me ages to raise from an egg.

Im not sure if you can carry a wild dino and then carry your tame with a quetz, but if you can, disabling the ability yo carry a dino carrying a dino and offline protection should surely be enough to allow grabbing again? I mean kiting still works, so a ground and sea creatures grab would be almost useless for grief?

Archived