"Gotcha" mechanics

Blaubund

I'm about to attack an Alpha Rex using 2 Argents.  Just as I start the attack, I get pounced by a Thylacoleo, knocked off my mount, stunned/pinned, and instantly killed by the Alpha Rex.

This is one of the changes in ARK that I just shake my head over.  I really don't understand the thinking behind these random, instantaneous, "gotcha" mechanics (most of which are relatively new) that you really can't prepare for or mitigate.  I would like to either be able to prepare for such an event (aside from avoiding it altogether), or to be able to recover from it after it happens with excellent preparedness and play style.

Another example: you're starting a new game and acquiring your first canteen is a major milestone and a big deal.  10 minutes later, some stupid bird steals it from you and there is no possibility to get it back.  It's nothing but frustrating/maddening and imho disrespectful to the player.  We really should have the ability to recover from this somehow - as with the Pegomastax where you can at least hunt him down afterwards and get your stuff back.

Can anyone explain the thinking behind such events?  The only thing I can think is "bad stuff happening to you is a good thing because it keeps you busy".  I can kinda understand that if it's the reasoning, but I think the result could be achieved without the frustration, anger, and in some cases, tears (some of us get a little attached to our progress, and especially our tames).  You may as well just randomly delete everything in my inventory, removing the tames I have with me because they're not going to be able to manage an Alpha Rex fight without human intelligence at the wheel after I'm dead.

1 hour ago, Blaubund said:

I'm about to attack an Alpha Rex using 2 Argents.  Just as I start the attack, I get pounced by a Thylacoleo, knocked off my mount, stunned/pinned, and instantly killed by the Alpha Rex.

This is one of the changes in ARK that I just shake my head over.  I really don't understand the thinking behind these random, instantaneous, "gotcha" mechanics (most of which are relatively new) that you really can't prepare for or mitigate.  I would like to either be able to prepare for such an event (aside from avoiding it altogether), or to be able to recover from it after it happens with excellent preparedness and play style.

Another example: you're starting a new game and acquiring your first canteen is a major milestone and a big deal.  10 minutes later, some stupid bird steals it from you and there is no possibility to get it back.  It's nothing but frustrating/maddening and imho disrespectful to the player.  We really should have the ability to recover from this somehow - as with the Pegomastax where you can at least hunt him down afterwards and get your stuff back.

Can anyone explain the thinking behind such events?  The only thing I can think is "bad stuff happening to you is a good thing because it keeps you busy".  I can kinda understand that if it's the reasoning, but I think the result could be achieved without the frustration, anger, and in some cases, tears (some of us get a little attached to our progress, and especially our tames).  You may as well just randomly delete everything in my inventory, removing the tames I have with me because they're not going to be able to manage an Alpha Rex fight without human intelligence at the wheel after I'm dead.

Except ur not randomly losing ur items/dying. You should be able to spot a thyla/ichthyornis from hundreds of meters away. You should know better than to try to fight something in the redwoods, where thylas, purlovias, and microraptors could ruin ur life. You just have to be able to stay alert. That's how you play the game.

Although maybe an item that works as a ghillie suit for dinos would also be welcome, so that wild dinos don't aggro as easily. Or maybe ichthyornis should have ur loot in its inventory?

28 minutes ago, rororoxor said:

Except ur not randomly losing ur items/dying. You should be able to spot a thyla/ichthyornis from hundreds of meters away. You should know better than to try to fight something in the redwoods, where thylas, purlovias, and microraptors could ruin ur life. You just have to be able to stay alert. That's how you play the game.

Although maybe an item that works as a ghillie suit for dinos would also be welcome, so that wild dinos don't aggro as easily. Or maybe ichthyornis should have ur loot in its inventory?

Your words are contradicting themselves.  If it was as easy to spot these cats as you suggest, then you wouldn't also suggest that the solution to that problem is to avoid the redwoods.  You'd just go there and "stay alert" as you suggest.

I disagree entirely. At level 100 and a near number cap mix of different dinos on their 5th/6th generation, I often miss those early days when you were running for cover from raptors on the beach. These Dino types keep you on your toes and have no mercy to players that don't respect the environment they are in. It's an added level of survival (the genre the game is in) over the 'he has teeth, stay out his way' mechanic.

1 hour ago, Blaubund said:

Your words are contradicting themselves.  If it was as easy to spot these cats as you suggest, then you wouldn't also suggest that the solution to that problem is to avoid the redwoods.  You'd just go there and "stay alert" as you suggest.

I was specifically referring to the purlovias and microraptors

2 minutes ago, Bruvas78 said:

I disagree entirely. At level 100 and a near number cap mix of different dinos on their 5th/6th generation, I often miss those early days when you were running for cover from raptors on the beach. These Dino types keep you on your toes and have no mercy to players that don't respect the environment they are in. It's an added level of survival (the genre the game is in) over the 'he has teeth, stay out his way' mechanic.

I completly agree here. Love how the thyla takes you off your mount, adds that extra danger to the game especially  at high levels when you think you have nothing to fear. I certainly dont fly around the redwoods with out my head on a swivel. Also its how I hunt for high levels, I dont find them, they find me lol. The number of rescue missions I have had to launch  for my rescue missions because of thylas....

My only complaint to these types of creatures is the microraptor. As above with the thyla, it adds that added danger, although I just wish there was a counter to it, like if you had a microraptor sholder mounted it would prevent you being knocked of your mount or something. 

Yeah the game has these gotcha moments. You think you have everything under control but then some poop creature ruins it.

My 261 dire bear got killed by 2-3 baryonyx in the water. They kept stunning her or whatever they do and I couldn't do anything. I'm a grown man but tears were rolling when she died. 

Back when my tribe was starting out there was a 130 bronto on the island we were on, it being 2x at the time we decided it be good to tame. So we gather up our arrows and make a plan on how to attack, once we agreed on a tactic we whistle passive on our Dino's and begin shooting at it. Well the funny thing is another tribe member had put them on ignore whistle group(great for making sure they don't all swarm you, not so great when you need them to chill) and put them on neutral. So now not only did we have stop our Dino's from freaking out but we also had to do it while a bronto was chasing us. Luckily it ends with us getting a new bronto. Why did I tell you this cluster raptor of a story? This is a survival game and no matter how great you think a plan is something will come and screw it up, which means you have adapt to the situation or lose everything. 

2 hours ago, rororoxor said:

If you kill ichthyornis fast enough you can loot your items back, but often it takes to long to kill it and if it was an edible item it has already consumed it by then :/ Got half my cooked mutton back from one lol 

I've only ever been hit by a thylo once and luckily enough was a low lvl so was able to kill it with pike. I learned from my mistake. Now I'm aware of my surroundings and look at the redwoods for thylas as well as the ground and have always seen them before the see me. Same with micro raptors got caught once or twice learned to spot them or flew just above attack range. ARK survival Evolved. You must evolve with the game or you don't survive....simple. I'm glad they keep making it harder because those of us smart enough to outsmart the wildlife would get board otherwise.

The shotgun is your friend when you're pinned by thylacoleo. 

I loath stealing dinosaurs in this game, because they have no purpouse except for irritating players and if they were not in the game, ARKw wouldn't lose anything. They add no value to the game and I see them as waste of resources and development time. I hunt every thief dino that's close to me. 

On 11/6/2017 at 3:32 PM, Blaubund said:

Situational awareness. You should check your surroundings for all types of threats before doing anything. If ARK didn't have risks and dangers then you might as well be playing WoW or Rift.

I don't like Satan's Seagulls either, but if you keep a consumable (like berries) in the "0" slot of your quickbar, that is always the first thing they will steal (just like Pegomastax). You might have to re-arrange the way you organize your quick bar (I used to keep my spyglass in slot 0, but not any more, now I put berries there) in order to adjust to this change, but it's not hard to do.

Can anyone explain the thinking behind such events?

Yes.

The main reason for those relatively new additions to the range of dangers (like thylacoleos) are because there were lots of threads on these forums from people asking WC to make the basic game more dangerous. Too many people complained that the game becomes too easy and starts to get boring once you have enough levels and resources, so WC has tried to add threats to the game that can ambush and threaten any level character.

I'm not saying I like everything they've added to the game either, but it's worth bearing in mind that most of these additions are responses to player feedback that the game becomes too easy as you level up.

Had one of this moments two days ago. Did the south-east lava cave with my Dimorphs (4.5 k Hp and around 380 dmg was just funny :-) ). I grabed
the artifact and jump back ... a Dimorph pushed me into the lava and I died. Lost everything -_- ... These moments suck but without them ... there wouln'd be no challange any more.

Like others said before, Thylas and the seagulls can easily spotted.

I'm wondering why you took an argy to a alpha fight unless you're packing 2.5k+ HP and 400+MD from hatching

we learnt the hard way that you cant take a knife to a gunfight so regardless of our requirements we always fly out on Wyverns prepacked with transponder nodes, spare canteens, extra gear...think of it as a go bag in each wyvern for a specific task: heavy lifter, long distance runner, alpha hunter, taming mate etc and make sure every expedition holds the mandatory flare gun with fireworks skin ;) good locater for stranded tribe mates and for firing off into peoples bases who may have forgotten to close a door :D 

On 11/6/2017 at 11:12 PM, AdligerAdler said:

gotcha

Hello,

I can explain the thinking behind such events. You are supposed to learn from such events. I am not saying you play the game wrong or that you are at zero.

I am saying look for the biome hazards.

I am saying do not build or stay on the beach. If you need sea access build in the sea. Use bed for fast travel.

I am saying if you loose try to tame the dino that made you loose. In your case T-Rex, T so totally stands for Terminator :)

If you play in PvP my best tip is Purlovia, look for the odd looking stone, jump off your dino and run past this stone and then when it is out have it attack your dino. Tamed. Look at the trees if you want to avoid Tylacoleo attacks, they are big and most visual.

If you play in PvE, tame everything that attacks you. Plus everything that runaway you need that later.

Regards,

Ariana

Arent these situations what make the game a survival game?

I remember chasing a quetzal around the redwood area. Finally it falls down. I go in to land and BAM cat scratching my face off. luckily my trusty shotgun was enough to send it to the other side. 

I can recall plenty more incidents where the wildlife got the better of me tbh

I remember some fond gotcha moments like going to fight a alpha death worm and death worm while on my toast(bred) Rex and here comes the disconnection rip tiny.

Or another fun gotcha moment doing a meat run spotting a 140 gplem then telling a tribe member to come help because  of the imminent crash I died but the Rex was saved.

Oh yeah I can't forget going to tame a giga and the person carrying me crashed let's just say the giga had a nice argy for lunch.

Do I love these gotcha moments I have fond memories going over a year back.

Archived