Incubation Frustration

J3EL

Hello, I'm a new player to Ark and I'm having trouble breeding. I've decided to amass an army of Carbonemys, because giant turtles are just awesome. I'm up to five and having trouble finding more, so I started breeding them. I got an egg, but it's not wanting to get warm. When I hold (H) it tells me the temperature is 17C, and the Wiki told me that the Carbonemys egg is ideal in temperatures from 14C to 19C, but when I put the egg down it says its too cold. Even resting against two campfires it says too cold! Does anyone know what to do? I'm still fairly early into the game, so AC isn't really feasible. Thanks guys!

Just now, J3EL said:

Hello, I'm a new player to Ark and I'm having trouble breeding. I've decided to amass an army of Carbonemys, because giant turtles are just awesome. I'm up to five and having trouble finding more, so I started breeding them. I got an egg, but it's not wanting to get warm. When I hold (H) it tells me the temperature is 17C, and the Wiki told me that the Carbonemys egg is ideal in temperatures from 14C to 19C, but when I put the egg down it says its too cold. Even resting against two campfires it says too cold! Does anyone know what to do? I'm still fairly early into the game, so AC isn't really feasible. Thanks guys!

Torches. Make yourself 8 standing torches and put then in a circle with a person-sized opening. Fill up the torches and light half of them, then drop your egg. If it's too warm, turn off torches, it it's too cold, turn more on. 

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Oldkane said:

We use 8 dimetrodons in a circle and can hatch any egg that we have tried so far.  Advantage of them is that they regulate the temperature plus or minus, whereas fires can only heat it up.

Air Conditioners are better all round. Less effort then taming those pointless dimetrodons and more room as well.

If you aren't up to the point where you can make and use ACs, then you probably aren't exactly ready for breeding anyway, depending on the rates of your server.

But if you must, use standing torches instead of campfires... same effect and takes up less space/can use more, and you will need more. Light just a few more than what it takes to get the egg incubating, to compensate for weather fluctuations.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived