Why do you play Ark?

Panatheous

On 11/3/2017 at 3:50 PM, Panatheous said:

Since I've joined this forum I have noticed quite a lot of the community is upset with how things are going. I want to know, "What brings you to play Ark?".

I am sure that this thread will be met with negativity, but discussion brings understanding and understanding brings change.

Do you play because you want the most massive dinosaur horde ever!? Do you play to own the oceans and tame the terrifying Tuso? Do you enjoy breeding Jerboas because they are so cute it hurts? Let's talk about why you play Ark!

I've been playing since a couple months after it hit early access, and still feel like there is so much I haven't done yet.

I love sandbox's because of the "no real end" non linear game play. So many of these come out, but so few get it right. Ark has its problems, but they pale in comparison to everything you can do. Add to it that when the Devs see a modder did something in game better then their own implementation, they support the mod... That just makes the game even better and adds even more to do.

23 hours ago, CaptainRaa said:

I've been gaming for over 27 years and have played my fair share of truly great games. ARK has almost all the ingredients of what I need now days to satisfy my hunger and passion for gaming. 1. OPEN WORLD and with cross ark play I get multiple open world's to play.
2. BUILDING AND IMPROVING A HOME I have always loved having a base of operations in games and even better I get to build my own in ark.
3.DEPTH AND GRIND.
I love the multiple layers on ark from simple taming and grinding to in depth breeding programs and building a kibble farm to get those 150 perfect tames.
4. VISUALLY STUNNING. I've played over 2000hrs and yesterday I still got a kick flying down redwood river on my dragon skimming the water and watching the wildlife do its thing.
I could go on and on. I know ark has plenty of faults too but I don't know of another game out there on XBOX that could possibly offer me all the things ark does.

You just made me think about how long I've been gaming.... I feel pretty old now, thanks! Lol... Where'd I put my arthritis medication?

Gotta agree, I've always loved building and games that have great depth to them. In a good sandbox, that means I can pretty much always find something new to do. You're only limited by your imagination, and that is what keeps me going.

• 5 months later...
42 minutes ago, Jtmorris said:

Never heard that before. Not sure where you get that. Seems over 90% of xbox one games are single player. Maybe Nintendo. 

Nah, pretty sure Im spot on on this one, although my info is old. I was a console gamer in the first Xbox era, Lan parties were huge and tvs were heavy.

Nintendo HAS been pushing the wifi Lan party idea, everybody with their own hand held console, but it doesnt seem to have taken hold.

I think what you are seeing is the overall decrease in the need for such gatherings, what with the internet being usable for latency sensitive games.

But what do I know, maybe legions of kids are logging countless hours in Smash Brothers 8.

1 hour ago, Oldster said:

Nah, pretty sure Im spot on on this one, although my info is old. I was a console gamer in the first Xbox era, Lan parties were huge and tvs were heavy.

Nintendo HAS been pushing the wifi Lan party idea, everybody with their own hand held console, but it doesnt seem to have taken hold.

I think what you are seeing is the overall decrease in the need for such gatherings, what with the internet being usable for latency sensitive games.

But what do I know, maybe legions of kids are logging countless hours in Smash Brothers 8.

You may have never played 1 but MMORPGs are very social animals.  I played SWG for almost 9 years.  My wife called it "star-crack" for the 1st 2 years until I got her to start with the game, then she would up with 1 more account than I had.  (I had 4 with a jedi unlock, she had 5).

Both of us play ARK now.

Ive played:

Official PVP 1100hrs

Official PVE 120hrs

UnOfficial PVP 650hrs

Ive rented and Admin my own server, and now im on SinglePlayer 480hrs

..when im not playing these days.. Im usually tinkering in my copy of ArkDevKit in my spare time

Why? Moddable OpenWorld Survival Sandbox game. Its less to do with the dinosaurs and more to do with the Freedom. If this game had modern creatures like giraffes and elk i would like it the same, the type NPC creatures are icing on my cake, Dinosaurs are AWESOME but not the reason i play..

4 hours ago, Oldster said:

Ya I would say that was true for the first and second generation xbox for sure. Not at all for the Xbox one. You can actually search to see the pathetic list of titles that are couch co-op /split screen now. Halo isn't even local multiplayer anymore. But ya I remember hooking up the Xboxes for the kids to play together. Sadly the state of xbox has changed drastically. Can't speak for Playstation. 

6 hours ago, Oldster said:

Don't 90% of gamers consider xbox/ps4 the GOLD STANDARD for multiplayer couch gaming?

Only if you're not including any Nintendo home consoles. When it comes to multiplayer couch gaming, Nintendo is the gold standard without question. There hasn't been a single console that has ever matched them in that respect...not for lack of trying.

On 11/4/2017 at 8:33 AM, TheSnives said:

I play ark singleplayer so it's always been my way to relax and pass time. I've  never done any bossfights and I've only tried a cave or two so I don't play for the thrill (I play rainbow six for that). I don't really have a main reason to play ark, I just start a new world, progress and build up a base full of dinos, then by that time wildcard usually has released a new map or dlc so I start all over again on the new map. I love ark for the graphics and the idea of having colossal dinos fighting even more colossal dinos. I also have a habit of beginning a really big base but then never finishing it.

Pretty much the same here, except when I want to kill people I play Battlefield 4.

My first attempt at boss fighting, I spent months breeding up boss Thylas ... only to find out they don't transfer into the boss arena :Jerbmad:

So then I built up a Allo and Rex army and ran the Island bosses over a couple weeks. After getting the tek engrams and realizing the cost for the tek crap, I stopped bosses. Now I play for perfect tames, building cool bases, and breeding for color mutations. I find it all very relaxing and a great way to fill my time away from the office.

My friends are all too busy with their teenage kids and sports/activities to play videogames, and I'm not too keen about joining a tribe with people I don't know, so I enjoy single player.

• 2 weeks later...

Dinosaurs, Dragons, Rock Elementals, Ninja sword wielding Mantises.

And building. Building is really the key for me - I play PvE on console and look with envy at the various PC building mods - but in a way I enjoy the frustration and broken nature of building on console because within that limited vocabulary I can try to make something beautiful in spite of the in-game mechanics. Any time I get a new build idea hours and days can melt away as I work through the concept and try to overcome the resource grind, snap points that work, collision issues - and then the end result.

I play Ark because there is a pego next to me with an euthanasia gun. (HELP!) He has the following demands….

1) I play Ark twelve hours a day. (So far, we’re seeing eye to eye here, until….)

2) I only get one potty break during this time. Fidget . . . fidget . . . fidget.

3) Every game day at high noon, I have to put my best equipment on, sans any equipped weapons, and run a five kilometer stretch of beach. (A.K.A. The Pego Guantlet)

4) I keep a constant real-life supply of chocolate chip waffles, which I agree with, and soy sauce for said waffles, which . . . I don’t really agree with but may have eaten one time after a night of drinking.

5) I slay every ichthyornis I come across as he’s not big on interspecies competition for stolen merchandise. (Wholeheartedly behind him on this one!)

6) I order twelve copies of this year’s Pego Pinup Girls calendar and put them up around the house. (Someone is probably going to read part of that with an “R” thrown in.)

7) I petition WC for the addition of a Pego-Wyvern. (Hmm, kind of frightening, but I may want to see this now.)

8) And . . . I chisel a Pego Mount Rushmore above the ascension cave on the island. (This is probably what’s going to get me clipped, because I’m a horrible artist.)

Archived