How to get chitin for flyer saddles when starting out?

Milsurp

Hi, just started out on Ragnarok, spawned in the northwest and don't see any chitin sources around. How does a new player on Rag get the chitin for their first flyer saddle? I've been down the coast a ways and then back up around nearly to Viking Bay, and I haven't seen a single trilo or bug. Any advice appreciated!

There are dragon flies inland a bit, around the small lakes / ponds between viking bay and blue ob. I've also seen trilobites in the water around blue ob.

there's also sea scorpions in the bottom of viking bay, but sounds like your not ready for that yet :)

You can also get some keratin from trikes and turtles..

ty. So the trilos don't come up onto the land then, I guess? That's a problem, I saw megalos pretty much everywhere up and down the northwest coast.

I knew about the sea scorps but yeah, that's a challenge for a new char. While they're easy to shoot from above, I don't have enough oxy nor scuba flippers to clear them and retrieve the chitin. Maybe on Rags you need to start with a sea mount, then go to flyers?

Or they intend you to callously murder the innocent turtles and trikes just minding their own business? I personally hate that, I'd rather harvest something insensate like trilos or actually fight something dangerous for the reward.

I might see if the server admin (unofficial) will consider the Primitive Scuba Gear mod. Gives you the ability to craft crude flippers and mask and take an air bag with you, and that might be enough for me to get my chitin while actually having some fun at the same time :)

Thanks for the replies!

27 minutes ago, Milsurp said:

ty. So the trilos don't come up onto the land then, I guess? That's a problem, I saw megalos pretty much everywhere up and down the northwest coast.

I knew about the sea scorps but yeah, that's a challenge for a new char. While they're easy to shoot from above, I don't have enough oxy nor scuba flippers to clear them and retrieve the chitin. Maybe on Rags you need to start with a sea mount, then go to flyers?

Or they intend you to callously murder the innocent turtles and trikes just minding their own business? I personally hate that, I'd rather harvest something insensate like trilos or actually fight something dangerous for the reward.

I might see if the server admin (unofficial) will consider the Primitive Scuba Gear mod. Gives you the ability to craft crude flippers and mask and take an air bag with you, and that might be enough for me to get my chitin while actually having some fun at the same time :)

Thanks for the replies!

You can always tame an Equus using the carrots from the farms in Highlands.  Then use the KO secondary attack to kill scorpions and harvest them with a pick.

Trilobites do occasionally come up to the surface, but you cannot rely on them. The best chance you will have of finding an abundant source would most likely be in VB.

16 hours ago, Milsurp said:

Thanks for the replies!

Another good option is to tame a beelzebufo, the saddle is level 40 and fairly cheap to make. they can attack while swimming now and they also get the bug damage buff against the sea scorps. just put a raft directly over the ship wreak in viking bay and make a few short trips down to get your chitin and bonus black pearls ;)

8 hours ago, HammyDribbler said:

Another option is to travel along the beach from the scar to Scotland and you will see several dead whales. They give rotten meat, hide, oil and Keratin when harvested.

Harvest all 4 and you will get roughly 500 Keratin, 70 Oil and 400 Hide. Winner!!!!!

Ham out.

That's a long treacherous path for a newbie but it's true. That's why I spawn in the NE Highlands when I'm new. 

You can make a box trap of stone doorways and a ramp/sloped roof and catch turtles and trikes, pretty easily 

On 11/3/2017 at 3:17 AM, HammyDribbler said:

Another option is to travel along the beach from the scar to Scotland and you will see several dead whales. They give rotten meat, hide, oil and Keratin when harvested.

Harvest all 4 and you will get roughly 500 Keratin, 70 Oil and 400 Hide. Winner!!!!!

Ham out.

"the scar to Scotland" is the scar the the end of volcanic part?

Thanks all! Great tip about the whales Hammy, I'll have to check them out. I found that the "happy, newbie-friendly, community-driven server" I was on had a slight problem with someone claiming Viking Bay for their base. The ENTIRE bay. Their initial buildings were actually dead on the trilo spawns, and that's why I wasn't seeing any. I am on my own local server now and there's a very decent amount of trilos running around, you can find 1-3 any time on either the east or west side. 

And ofc there's the trikes and turtles for keratin, but seriously I don't want to just murder all the wildlife for my needs. "Harvesting" non-sentient creatures is better :) Plus trikes and turtles are good raptor / dilo eliminators and distractions for carnos and rexes, so I like to keep them around until I am decently set up for survival.

Thanks again for the suggestions! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/3/2017 at 12:06 AM, SingleSidedPCB said:

Another good option is to tame a beelzebufo, the saddle is level 40 and fairly cheap to make. they can attack while swimming now and they also get the bug damage buff against the sea scorps. just put a raft directly over the ship wreak in viking bay and make a few short trips down to get your chitin and bonus black pearls ;)

Also shout-out for this tip, wow I knew froggies were great for the Swamp Cave on The Island and virtually immune to poisons/eel stuns, but this tip makes them officially awesome. Sea scorps are 1-2 hits for my new froggie, it can tank their insane poison very well doing hit and runs, and the collectibles are chitin, oil, silica and black pearls and meat. PERFECT :D

On 11/7/2017 at 2:07 PM, Milsurp said:

"Harvesting" non-sentient creatures is better :) Plus trikes and turtles are good raptor / dilo eliminators and distractions for carnos and rexes, so I like to keep them around until I am decently set up for survival.

Everything is non-sentient in ark it's okay to eat pixels 'Cause they don't have any feelings'
If you kill the  trikes and turtles more will spawn in. If you don't they will eventually despawn and new ones will spawn in. 

1 hour ago, Milsurp said:

Also shout-out for this tip, wow I knew froggies were great for the Swamp Cave on The Island and virtually immune to poisons/eel stuns, but this tip makes them officially awesome. Sea scorps are 1-2 hits for my new froggie, it can tank their insane poison very well doing hit and runs, and the collectibles are chitin, oil, black pearls and meat. PERFECT :D

^_^

44 minutes ago, 20GT said:

Everything is non-sentient in ark it's okay to eat pixels 'Cause they don't have any feelings'
If you kill the  trikes and turtles more will spawn in. If you don't they will eventually despawn and new ones will spawn in. 

But...but *I* have feelings! And, it is a simulation so you're supposed to pretend those are real aminals, so there's that too, eh? 

Archived