Demigod

.    if you're a pvp player, you know the grind of gathering turret ammo. it's tedious, it's time consuming, and the output is far less than the input of materials. I don't know of anyone who enjoys "bullet days" when you spend the majority of your time filling up turrets.

so what is your method for farming bullets? what works best for you? 

i'm on a dedicated ragnarok server. the first thing i will do is metal runs. first i will farm all of the metal around the base, then i will grab it on a weight-spec'd wyvern and take it to three other locations. after about 50 stacks of metal, i head back to base. there is a door directly next to the indy forge so i will drop the anky to a location where i can stand in one spot and transfer 1.8k at a time between the anky and the forge. if there is any spare room in the forge, i will fill it with wood.

next, i'll hop on the griffin and fly to the volcano to harvest charcoal. i stay mounted on it and harvest burnt trees while flying from tree to tree. occasionally i will dump excess wood. when the griffin is almost encumbered and getting slightly slower, i will head back and dump the charcoal into a vault.

next is for the sparkpowder. i gather the stone myself with a mastercraft hatchet because there is enough stone around the base to do me (and i haven't put aside the time to tame a doedic yet). i take the anky out to get the flint, i always double the amount of flint compared to stone. shove it all in the chemistry bench and make sparkpowder. 

afterwards, i fill the chem bench up half with sparkpowder and the other half with charcoal to start making gun powder. i usually continue this step and the last step up until a vault is about 3/4 or more full of gunpowder.

now is the big step: the bullets. for every 100 ingots in the fab i will have 900 gunpowder, so every stack of metal is paired with 18 stacks on gunpowder (the recipe for advanced rifle bullets is 1 ingot and 9 gp). i will fill up 3 fabs with this ratio and keep pumping them full of gunpowder and ingots until i have the bullets i need. then i repeat the entire process.

it's not fun. but it's necessary to keep my base protected. i will soon have a second forge and chem bench to keep up with my demand for bullets. what are your procedures? i'm curious as to how other people do it.

What I do is setup a base near the swamp on the island, then get a motorboat and place forges on them.

Then you use a therizino to get wood. One person drives on the raft and other hits.

Rafts have infinite weight so you can pretty much go around the swamp and harvest every tree. But there is a slot cap of 300 stacks on dinos and players.

While doing this in the swamp load up the forges with wood and harvest more wood.

To get stone and flint, use a doedic and a grinder. The grinder can give you loads of xp while getting some flint. Save some stone and make spark powder with chem benchs.

Also having loads of vaults to store the GP or SP is helpful.

Metal runs are done just by using quetz and anky and forges.

Two indy forges about 3 foundations apart, a chem bench and two fabricators sit on a shelf between the two forges. Below are some smithies. This way I can just about access all of their inventories without having to move very much. 

Step 1. use argy to air lift beaver to nearest clump of trees and harvest until encumbered. Usually takes me about 1 1/2 loads of wood to fill one indy forge. I get this processing first because it takes longer for the wood to burn to charcoal than metal into ingots.

Step 2. Use quetz to carry doedic to rock clumps and harvest until encumbered then return to base and fill the chem bench about 25% full of stone. This is usually more than enough stone for a first batch.

Step 3. Use quetz to carry high melee anky to all metal nodes nearby, throw out all stone but keep flint. Do this until the quetz is starting to slow when flying. Return to base and start processing the metal in the other forge.

Step 4. Throw the flint into the chem bench and start processing spark powder. When this is done you should have a nice little bit of charcoal ready to go, load it into the chem bench and start processing gunpowder. Take gunpowder and metal ingots and start the bullet crafting. 

Step 5. Make small runs as needed to get more flint/wood for charcoal. If you have a surplus of stone you can also break it down into flint utilizing a indy grinder which is also a great way to get XP while crafting.

Best bullet farm I had was actually on scorched by Green Ob.  Would use a power their with a mammoth following me.  Could fill the mammoth with a dozen or so trees.  Fill up two forges with wood and start burning.  Grab mantis, go around and leap attack all the rocks for insane amount of flint, dump stone.  Come back, leave it on mantis.  Use golem a couple times to hit all the bones for insane stone, fill vaults in front of base with stone.  I usually had the metal already, but if not, metal would come first before the wood.

Then it's chem benches of GP for 45 stacks and making bullets as I get the gunpowder.  I used to wait until I had all the GP to then start making bullets, but that's a waste of time.  Gas is cheap, just keep the fabby running with 2k ingots in there and keep filling with GP and making bullets.  Pull bullets and stash them in nearby turrets as the fabby fills.

Eventually used a replicator for 16 bullets per second versus 2 from the fabby.

9 hours ago, Preacherboy said:

Are there good clumps of stone on the center?  If so where?  I find that the island had lots of high concentrated stone areas but can't find similar locations on the center.  

I think Stone is mostly spread out on the center.

What you can do is use a doedic on metal nodes. You get plenty of stone, but no metal. 

And then grind some stone into flint using a grinder, for insane xp.

Doedicurus 400% melee gather rate of stone with weight reduction vastly out gathers an 800% melee anky gather rate of flint. Way more effecient to gather stone and grind. Unless on scorched.

The only issue with doed stone mining is the wonkiness of the doed attack if using quetzal.  We are experimenting with different styles of mining platforms. The ramp setup for anky does not work well for doed. It misses a lot. Faster to just run around and gather on doed.

Plus all that sweet xp from grinding.

1) Charcoal

Nothing beats the Theri on a Raft driving thru the swamp. Use a motorboat, i had one constructed with about 46 smithies on it for wood storage, in 15 minutes all the smithies + the theri with 300 slots are full and heading back.

Then a wood burning station on land that allows you to directly unload the wood from the boat into the forges.

pic of setup: (the theri is standing on the raft next to the smithies so you can directly unload into them and fill both sides of the raft)3087A1FAED6F6479F803825454A6AC8497497002

2) Sparkpowder

Flint is a byproduct of metal farming, just dont throw it away, its not that heavy, you will drown in flint (you get way more than you need)

Stone: use Doed to gather the stone, either with quetz or solo, whatever you prefer.

3) Metal

Quetz + Anky is stil the best method

4) Crafting setup

this one is important since you will loose a lot of time transporting materials (especially the heavy ones)

Sadly i dont find a screenshot of it right now but i basically did this:

a) Place the forges elevated by about 2 walls high.

b) Build a "floor" in front of the forges using large Storage Boxes and Chem benches, you dont walk on the floor, you walk on the storage boxes and chem benches.

c) after the "floor" of storage boxes and chem benches build a row of fabricator-smithy-fabricator-smithy so that when you stand on the storage-boxes/chem benches the forges are in front of you and the smithies and fabs are behind you.

d) That way you can reach Forge + Chem bench + Storage boxes + Smithies + Fab without moving.

This is the best screenshot i found showing the crafting area i build for our old volcano base:

59901E2E6B770082B14B323E3BB60E491BC3D37A

happy bullet farming time !

17 hours ago, Demigod said:

.    if you're a pvp player, you know the grind of gathering turret ammo. it's tedious, it's time consuming, and the output is far less than the input of materials. I don't know of anyone who enjoys "bullet days" when you spend the majority of your time filling up turrets.

so what is your method for farming bullets? what works best for you? 

i'm on a dedicated ragnarok server. the first thing i will do is metal runs. first i will farm all of the metal around the base, then i will grab it on a weight-spec'd wyvern and take it to three other locations. after about 50 stacks of metal, i head back to base. there is a door directly next to the indy forge so i will drop the anky to a location where i can stand in one spot and transfer 1.8k at a time between the anky and the forge. if there is any spare room in the forge, i will fill it with wood.

next, i'll hop on the griffin and fly to the volcano to harvest charcoal. i stay mounted on it and harvest burnt trees while flying from tree to tree. occasionally i will dump excess wood. when the griffin is almost encumbered and getting slightly slower, i will head back and dump the charcoal into a vault.

next is for the sparkpowder. i gather the stone myself with a mastercraft hatchet because there is enough stone around the base to do me (and i haven't put aside the time to tame a doedic yet). i take the anky out to get the flint, i always double the amount of flint compared to stone. shove it all in the chemistry bench and make sparkpowder. 

afterwards, i fill the chem bench up half with sparkpowder and the other half with charcoal to start making gun powder. i usually continue this step and the last step up until a vault is about 3/4 or more full of gunpowder.

now is the big step: the bullets. for every 100 ingots in the fab i will have 900 gunpowder, so every stack of metal is paired with 18 stacks on gunpowder (the recipe for advanced rifle bullets is 1 ingot and 9 gp). i will fill up 3 fabs with this ratio and keep pumping them full of gunpowder and ingots until i have the bullets i need. then i repeat the entire process.

it's not fun. but it's necessary to keep my base protected. i will soon have a second forge and chem bench to keep up with my demand for bullets. what are your procedures? i'm curious as to how other people do it.

Your way sounds a little long,  fill a beaver with wood and fill the indy forge for charcoal,  much quicker,  use a doed for sparkpowder ,  do one stone run for the industrial grinder for flint and then one for the chem bench to make spark powder. Try a quetz anky combo for metal.

Also try using more than one of each crafting station. I use 6 forges and 6 chem benches with 4 fabs it makes things a lot quicker,  and have a weight bear in the bullet factory to load up extra sparkpowder and gunpowder it helps with moving stuff about.

Mine is not as large scale as you guys but it is the same system.

We run a mammoth to the woods just by our base and completely fill it which give us 120+ stacks of wood. (Would a mammoth on a raft in the swamp be better?)

We have 2 doedicurus' which we run into the swamp with rex's on follow because we find there is huge concentrations of stone in the swamps. 

We done the standard metal run, quetzal and anky and gather flint whilst we're out as well. And if we need more flint we just go back out again and smash every single rock we see.

Then it is just a case of making the bullets which is the same for everyone just at different scales.

6 hours ago, SmokeyB said:

Your way sounds a little long,  fill a beaver with wood and fill the indy forge for charcoal,  much quicker,  use a doed for sparkpowder ,  do one stone run for the industrial grinder for flint and then one for the chem bench to make spark powder. Try a quetz anky combo for metal.

Also try using more than one of each crafting station. I use 6 forges and 6 chem benches with 4 fabs it makes things a lot quicker,  and have a weight bear in the bullet factory to load up extra sparkpowder and gunpowder it helps with moving stuff about.

i don't see how gathering wood with a beaver and stuffing it in the forge is quicker than flying to bunt trees and harvesting 100+ charcoal from every tree. i use that because i can get about 60 stacks in a single run. plus i said that i fill wood into any left over slots in the forge. if i was on an official server then i would probably use the beaver/theriz method but this is extremely time efficient and effective for me. 

did you read my post at all? i said that i run THREE fabs and was in the process of doubling up on forges and chem benches, which has now been done. 

i think i will utilize the grinder more though, would save a bit of time when gathering flint.

6 hours ago, sal said:

1) Charcoal

Nothing beats the Theri on a Raft driving thru the swamp. Use a motorboat, i had one constructed with about 46 smithies on it for wood storage, in 15 minutes all the smithies + the theri with 300 slots are full and heading back.

Then a wood burning station on land that allows you to directly unload the wood from the boat into the forges.

pic of setup: (the theri is standing on the raft next to the smithies so you can directly unload into them and fill both sides of the raft)3087A1FAED6F6479F803825454A6AC8497497002

2) Sparkpowder

Flint is a byproduct of metal farming, just dont throw it away, its not that heavy, you will drown in flint (you get way more than you need)

Stone: use Doed to gather the stone, either with quetz or solo, whatever you prefer.

3) Metal

Quetz + Anky is stil the best method

4) Crafting setup

this one is important since you will loose a lot of time transporting materials (especially the heavy ones)

Sadly i dont find a screenshot of it right now but i basically did this:

a) Place the forges elevated by about 2 walls high.

b) Build a "floor" in front of the forges using large Storage Boxes and Chem benches, you dont walk on the floor, you walk on the storage boxes and chem benches.

c) after the "floor" of storage boxes and chem benches build a row of fabricator-smithy-fabricator-smithy so that when you stand on the storage-boxes/chem benches the forges are in front of you and the smithies and fabs are behind you.

d) That way you can reach Forge + Chem bench + Storage boxes + Smithies + Fab without moving.

This is the best screenshot i found showing the crafting area i build for our old volcano base:

59901E2E6B770082B14B323E3BB60E491BC3D37A

happy bullet farming time !

your station looks epic!!! i may have to set up a crafting station somewhere outside of my base so that i can make more room inside. 

• 11 months later...

At this point this thread is inactive but i figured why not share my method now that abs out it makes bullet grinding a lot less tedious

Step 1: black bar a anky on ab it takes six indie forges to smelt all 300 stacks of metal

Step 2: i got to rag usually if we have both i take a 2k weight wyv (its possible on official) and a quetz preferably 4-6k weight and fly to charcoal trees i clear the whole area until the quetz and wyv are near encumbered with charcoal and fly them slowly back to red ob where im bodybagged and transfer to ab this usually yields me about 20k charcoal in about 45 minutes to an hour 

Step 3: typically a tribemate does this step on ab while on getting charcoal we black bar two doedics with stone and use one to turn it into flint

This method seems to be the most affective for me but requires a lot of things smaller tribes may not have especially if they only own one server

this is for island only since rag has metal spawns in desert and charcoal trees 

In that case i reccomend using the raft method with a theri or mammoth and go to metal mountain on island i believe its next to volcano its super easy to spot you can bring a weight argy or quetz highest weight argy ive seen is 4k and you can get that weight in wild or close to if you're lucky and near encumber the argy/quetz then fly back smelt all of it i cant thing of a place that has a lot of stone on island but as a early post said its everywhere so take a anky and argy/quetz to one of those spots and near encumber it (i say an anky because it gets equal parts stone and flint and usually i can fill half a vault with one trip)

I know this forums dead but maybe my method can help anyone whos using a less efficient method 

Archived