Anyone know a trick to place foundation where they do not want to snap?

courtn00b

So I'm sure everyone has had this, you want a 4x4 foundation, and you go to place the last and there is a slight gradient that means it will not snap to what you have already made. I'm sure once I saw a tutorial of a combination of pillar and walls and ceilings that you could snap the foundation to in this scenario, however I can't find it now, or maybe it's been patched. 

Anyone have idea? I know you can snap the foundation and have that foundation lower for building fences, but I want to make this so the foundation snaps in the same horizontal plane.

15 minutes ago, Grimlock98 said:

lol im fighting the same battle, i just keep placing them until i have a foundation im happy with.

or

build a foundation and attach ceiling tiles to each other and place pillars in the middle of said tiles if need be, but the tiles wont grade with the land.

For large base builds I just go for pillars first then ceiling, so it is smooth floors. But sometimes I want the foundation. I mainly build for aesthetics. Also with pillars+ceiling sometime a dino will fall through after patch and I have to break a lot to get it out.

2 minutes ago, courtn00b said:

For large base builds I just go for pillars first then ceiling, so it is smooth floors. But sometimes I want the foundation. I mainly build for aesthetics. Also with pillars+ceiling sometime a dino will fall through after patch and I have to break a lot to get it out.

right on, one reason i like the tiles and then the pillars is to get spacing right.

My first base was going down hill a bit so I could not place foundations thevwayni would have liked so I discarded the foundations all together and used pillars and ceilings. So all you need to do is place a pillar put ceilings on it then attach ceilings to thevfirst ceiling until it won't let you meaning you need another pillar to be placed. If it is lower at one place you might need to put another pillar on top a pillar and so on. At one place it was so low I had to use 4 pillars on top of each other but my floor of ceilings was level all the way. That's how you deal when you can't attach foundations as much as you want because for some reason it does not snap. You might have to use a ramp because it might be to high but that's no problem.

It's not really a solution to the problem, but this exact issue is why any time I want to build a structure, I make a "proof of concept" framework out of thatch first, just to make sure I'll be able to put all the pieces where I want them to go before I waste time and resources putting together something that isn't going to work because of one pesky foundation not snapping in place, or the second-floor wall being obstructed by a bit of rock jutting out from a cliff face. It's saved me from a lot of heartache and aggravation on more than one occasion, even if it does mean periodically having to accept that you just can't build the thing you want in the place you want it.

2 minutes ago, NymeriaSaida said:

It's not really a solution to the problem, but this exact issue is why any time I want to build a structure, I make a "proof of concept" framework out of thatch first, just to make sure I'll be able to put all the pieces where I want them to go before I waste time and resources putting together something that isn't going to work because of one pesky foundation not snapping in place, or the second-floor wall being obstructed by a bit of rock jutting out from a cliff face. It's saved me from a lot of heartache and aggravation on more than one occasion, even if it does mean periodically having to accept that you just can't build the thing you want in the place you want it.

Our main base was laid out in thatch, for this exact reason.  We wanted a fairly big structure that would double as buildings.  We have our main house, which is connected to a shop, which is connected to a garden, which is connected to a breeding/incubation pen, which is attached to a taming pen.  These are laid out in a square shape, with the center courtyard becoming the animal pens.    We have utility corridors so you don't see any exposed wiring, pipes, etc.  We had to make a few changes as we went, and that's the point of doing the thatch, you don't feel so bad wrecking a few thatch foundations lol.  

4 minutes ago, NymeriaSaida said:

It is the solution. If the foundation can't snap on the ground because of uneven ground or obstructed by an object the ceiling acts like the foundation and you use the pillar to attach the ceiling to. The only thing it will be higher and you need to use pillars and ceiling for all of your floor as a regular foundation will be lower then the ceiling because it is on a pillar.

4 minutes ago, Danouk said:

It is the solution. If the foundation can't snap on the ground because of uneven ground or obstructed by an object the ceiling acts like the foundation and you use the pillar to attach the ceiling to. The only thing it will be higher and you need to use pillars and ceiling for all of your floor as a regular foundation will be lower then the ceiling because it is on a pillar.

My statement of "it's not really a solution" was in reference to the build-concepts-out-of-thatch process I described immediately thereafter, not in reference to anything you said.

2 hours ago, Painy said:

Yes there is a solution place ceiling and then snap foundation underneath it (metal ceiling blocks it so use thatch and then just demo ceiling foundation will just float) ..you can build completely free floating bases anywhere with that too ^^ :P

I can't get this to work? I'm on PC , official server.

Edit: Can you give step by step process? I tried with different foundation materials and doesn't work.

6 hours ago, courtn00b said:

I can't get this to work? I'm on PC , official server.

Edit: Can you give step by step process? I tried with different foundation materials and doesn't work.

Try at an overhanging cliff first place  a thatch foundation and then snap a thatch ceiling to it, then the next foundation should snap to the side of the foundation and underneath the ceiling.

• Volunteer Moderator
44 minutes ago, Painy said:

Try at an overhanging cliff first place  a thatch foundation and then snap a thatch ceiling to it, then the next foundation should snap to the side of the foundation and underneath the ceiling.

And then if you destroy the ceiling the foundation will stay attached to the other foundation? But surely you can't have completely free floating bases like you said earlier, because to do that you'd have to destroy the foundation you put on the ground, which I would have thought would demolish all the floating foundations?

3 hours ago, GamerPerfection said:

And then if you destroy the ceiling the foundation will stay attached to the other foundation? But surely you can't have completely free floating bases like you said earlier, because to do that you'd have to destroy the foundation you put on the ground, which I would have thought would demolish all the floating foundations?

Yes after destroying the ceiling the foundation will stay attached, I build a quetz once with 4 rows of foundations sticking out at all 4 sides and when I demolished the middle part all the foundations were floating, so yes I think you can build a floating base and I can confirm for sure that you can build a floating base to the side or behind a quetz ^^ (which still moves with the quetz ofc )

2 hours ago, Painy said:

Yes after destroying the ceiling the foundation will stay attached, I build a quetz once with 4 rows of foundations sticking out at all 4 sides and when I demolished the middle part all the foundations were floating, so yes I think you can build a floating base and I can confirm for sure that you can build a floating base to the side or behind a quetz ^^ (which still moves with the quetz ofc )

Okay I am trying on the ground and it just is not working for me. I place all types of foundation and the thatch roof, and nothing snaps. I guess it's been patched, unless you can make a quick video demonstration I would be grateful.

3 hours ago, Painy said:

Pretty sure this does not work for non-platform structures.

2 hours ago, Dost Thou Even Joust? said:

Pretty sure this does not work for non-platform structures.

Hmm maybe it doesn't, I thought it would because two days ago I did it on normal ground although I might just hit the perfect angle with the foundation and the ceiling didn't matter...because it didn't work a few other times and  I thought that was because It was too close to the ground or something 

On ‎09‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 8:31 PM, courtn00b said:

So I'm sure everyone has had this, you want a 4x4 foundation, and you go to place the last and there is a slight gradient that means it will not snap to what you have already made. I'm sure once I saw a tutorial of a combination of pillar and walls and ceilings that you could snap the foundation to in this scenario, however I can't find it now, or maybe it's been patched. 

Anyone have idea? I know you can snap the foundation and have that foundation lower for building fences, but I want to make this so the foundation snaps in the same horizontal plane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Miw3jKPyFSk found this last night

• 1 year later...

Archived