Gaining knowledge about mutations.

JustaNeon

3 hours ago, AgentOfSin said:

@Racidon mutations are random. There are two kinds. Color mutations and stat mutations. 

All Dino's have a 5% chance to mutate. 1 on every 20 should give you a mutation ( statically of course)

I know how breeding works, however there are always little things here and there you won't actually know unless you're a dev or with extensive experience. 

A classic one is it took people a long time to realise that dinos have "egg drop" coded based on locations

I said extremely doubtful above because even if there is a hidden mechanic that might raise the chances (which I'd still doubt) that kind of mechanic introduces another piece of data to track which most developers (WC being one) wouldn't use over a simple RNG instead.

4 minutes ago, Kallor said:

We have a genius on our official server who is certain that Oviraptors help you get mutations....

But he won't explain how / why and calls anyone who asks for more info a troll and refuses to say anymore.  Such is the quality entertainment we get on official servers.

I cant imagine the amount of time invested in breeding on officials.. 

It would be nice if the mechanic and its corresponding variables would be explained in more detail by WC. 

Most of the info ive found is 50% speculation 40% superstition and 10% fact

• 11 months later...

ARK wiki: 

"For each offspring there are three possible stat-mutations which can happen on the same time. Each one of the three possible mutation has a chance of 2.5% to happen.

The probability for at least one mutation in an offspring is 7.5%, for two mutations 0.0625% and for three mutations 0.0015625%.[1]"

On 11/1/2017 at 9:14 AM, Kallor said:

We have a genius on our official server who is certain that Oviraptors help you get mutations....

But he won't explain how / why and calls anyone who asks for more info a troll and refuses to say anymore.  Such is the quality entertainment we get on official servers.

Maybe because, time between dino mating is shorter so basically you can produce ferti eggs faster = more chances for mutation ( i know ovi make time between normal egg laying shorter but idk if it affect mating).

Also, look here: 

Archived