The point of high lvl giga trades on pve?

Velarius

Gigas...or any other raid tame for that matter. I mean, you can't take it into a boss fight soooo other than it sitting around looking shiny and saying "oooh look at those high stats" why would anyone trade for one and not just get to the point of breeding your own? Its not like you're going to get raided and lose all your work on pve.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a PVE player, I never understood the attraction to Gigas. They're great for fighting Titans but imo, Wyvern's outclass them in this aspect and a decently bred Rex can tackle any alphas you might encounter. 

Most players I've seen use them as a status symbol or for trading purposes. Never bothered taming one, more trouble than they're worth on PVE

1 minute ago, AVENGED said:

As a PVE player, I never understood the attraction to Gigas. They're great for fighting Titans but imo, Wyvern's outclass them in this aspect and a decently bred Rex can tackle any alphas you might encounter. 

Most players I've seen use them as a status symbol or for trading purposes. Never bothered taming one, more trouble than they're worth on PVE

lmao status symbol on PVE? What status? That you have to show off a big shiny pvp tool and you don't see any pvp? For them I say let me post a pic of my tribes pvp base and all the bred gigas we have that actually see pvp battle and then you've got status to show not "omg I got a bred giga! I'm so badass, no wild dino will dare mess with me again." Really? -_-

2 minutes ago, AVENGED said:

I don't think a rex can harm rock elementals, though. I could be wrong. A giga certainly can. I suppose it's map dependent; taming a Giga is less work than going through the trouble to breed a good rex, so if you have trouble with rock elementals in your area (or alphas) it might be easier to just tame a Giga.

14 minutes ago, MimiNuyasaka said:

I don't think a rex can harm rock elementals, though. I could be wrong. A giga certainly can. I suppose it's map dependent; taming a Giga is less work than going through the trouble to breed a good rex, so if you have trouble with rock elementals in your area (or alphas) it might be easier to just tame a Giga.

But Giga has to be bred and fully imprinted to be any good. Otherwise it'll have crappy stats. And thats a lot more trouble than breeding rexes.

1 minute ago, DarthaNyan said:

But Giga has to be bred and fully imprinted to be any good. Otherwise it'll have crappy stats. And thats a lot more trouble than breeding rexes.

You say that like pve players don't pretty much have all the time in the world? like I said, no threat of being raided. A metal dino gated base is pretty much invincible on pve. Rock golem can't do crap to it, I don't think even alpha rexs can.

3 minutes ago, DarthaNyan said:

Eh, my wild-tamed gigas handle most alphas and rock elementals fine. It's why I got 'em. They can't handle the really high level ones though. I did breed one and it's much better, but the regular ones get the job done too.

Why even the question lol...

Gigas in PvE are insane meat and prime meat farming machines, best apart from a insane bred and leveled Theriz. People that do a lot of breeding and taming(prime meat for jerky), rely on dinos like that since again, the amount they are farming from a dead Dinos is insane so in one run you can fill up a couple of fridges and have meat lasting through your whole breeding.

Giga will only be effective on a high level though, since the damage will get nerfed after taming. A low lvl Giga will get owned by a decent Rex in that case.

High level Gigas are rare, so for some people the only way to get a decent one is to trade one. In 2k hours of ARK, to mention mostly as single player, i only saw two high lvl Gigas(120 and 140) so to get to the point of breeding their own is kind of a bad joke, since it too takes ages to raise it, not to mention the baby phase...

Edit: A bred Giga will OP a wild tamed one massively, since the imprinting bonus will be given to the stats before tame...

Even in PvP a giga sort of a mood point.. Its not your end game PvP dino either..  no one put in stamina, so they are slow, cant run far, cant fit anywhere, cant be transported on anything without breaking game mechanics 

But we do have Gigas, and we once used it to stop some golems draining turrets, we got exited and tamed and breeded a few more. but never used them again.. 

on PvE I would see them as totally useless.. even for farming prime.. or anything else..  

6 hours ago, Velarius said:

Gigas...or any other raid tame for that matter. I mean, you can't take it into a boss fight soooo other than it sitting around looking shiny and saying "oooh look at those high stats" why would anyone trade for one and not just get to the point of breeding your own? Its not like you're going to get raided and lose all your work on pve.

I enjoy the Giga I have on PvE because I love the feeling of 1-shotting most wilds. I like playing Ark for the "Ooo pretty!" things. High stat gigas are fast at getting meat to feed my hoard of "Ooo pretty!" dinos. On 2x Holidays, I fill this giga's inventory to max capacity in a matter of minutes. Nothing in my hoard farms meat faster than this shiny Giga I got as a gift from a Giga breeder.

I dont bred my own (yet) because I am busy with other things. I have the means to do so, I just prefer to breed Tapejaras and Thornys.

Ooo! Piece of candy! *chomp*

As a PVE player, we had a giga but only for the last few weeks. we used it for meat runs as it is insane at gathering meat, espicially prime. Our rex's did the job well but the giga is just faster at doing it. plus there are no dinos you need to worry about when you have a decent giga. the other time we used giga's was when collecting wyvern eggs. when the wyvens are chasing the player with the egg, the giga demolishes it!

Whats with all these posts recently questioning the usefulness of gigas on PvE ? Gigas still have their use even on PvE. And right from the bat if you want a giga you want a decent bred one. A giga can be a bit of a status symbol, but not as much as you think, its still a darn useful tame. No one on a PvE server gets a good giga just as a stattus symbol. Theres no point.

Titan killling with wyverns,? havent seen that done since the flyer nerf unless in desperation. Break out your giga. Elemental killling ? break out the giga. Meat running ? Giga over a rex anyday. Giga killing ? Break out that insanly bred giga I never had. General badassary on the server ? Break out the giga.

Just because its a pvp seige dino doesnt mean its not a good dino. A giga and a good bred one at that is an invaluable tame in a PvErs arsenal.

37 minutes ago, AngrySaltire said:

Whats with all these posts recently questioning the usefulness of gigas on PvE ?

Or is it just PVP'ers trying to put down PVE, but hiding it in a question so it's not shut down.

Lots of reasons already listed but here's another one.  If you are looking for high levels of anything to tame and can't find anything, then check the wiki for the spawn group and go cull the entire area with a giga for new spawns.  Nothing comes close to a Giga for clearing massive areas to force respawns. 

It's highly likely that Gigas in PVE get more use on a daily basis than in PVP.

46 minutes ago, Kallor said:

Or is it just PVP'ers trying to put down PVE, but hiding it in a question so it's not shut down.

Lots of reasons already listed but here's another one.  If you are looking for high levels of anything to tame and can't find anything, then check the wiki for the spawn group and go cull the entire area with a giga for new spawns.  Nothing comes close to a Giga for clearing massive areas to force respawns. 

It's highly likely that Gigas in PVE get more use on a daily basis than in PVP.

Bang on the money there. Was trying not to turn it in to a pvp vs pve thing which basically this is anway. Been alot of that recently. Is annoying.

Another use. Ultimate base security. Once i had a high mellee giga I didnt fear for dinos in my yard. Aint no one kiting anything short of a giga or titan which a good giga could deal with. Only had to worry about alphas spawning in my kibble barn.....

10 hours ago, Velarius said:

You say that like pve players don't pretty much have all the time in the world? like I said, no threat of being raided. A metal dino gated base is pretty much invincible on pve. Rock golem can't do crap to it, I don't think even alpha rexs can.

I learn this week that a Rex can still glitch inside my full metal base, killed half my tames and trash several containers. Had to build turrets inside in case this happens again.  I have plant X on the roof and sides, turrets inside and a full metal base who looks like a PvP setup, yet its still needed in PvE. lol really.

The bred giga we now use has cut the meat farming time in half. (they kill everything in one bite, the theri has to hit several times and has a smaller aoe).

The tamed ones on SE get rid of rock golems.

one is stationed inside a open pen to protect the animals in there from wild wyverns, the other one is in the water at green obi, we jump on its back, kill the kapros and leave the server.

We have a mate boosted pair of wild tamed Gigas, not done any babies yet as don't see any point.  Only did wild tame thinking might be used for TEK cave, disappointingly they don't fit.  They are OK for meat collections but imo due to the poor stamina they should have a much higher inventory capacity than a REX to be used in any meaningful way.  Much easier to jump on a rex, have a few more following for meat collections  - I like using the SHIFT key without having to stop every 2 bites to regain stamina.

Next Gigas are gonna be target practice to get the hearts for dragon boss tributes - might still trap but instead of knock out kill.

12 hours ago, Velarius said:

lmao status symbol on PVE? What status? That you have to show off a big shiny pvp tool and you don't see any pvp? For them I say let me post a pic of my tribes pvp base and all the bred gigas we have that actually see pvp battle and then you've got status to show not "omg I got a bred giga! I'm so badass, no wild dino will dare mess with me again." Really? -_-

1. PvE tribe wars

2. Deathworms / Aplha Deathworms

3. Oviraptors

4. Troodons

5. Golems

Regardless, if that's what PvE'ers enjoy then more power to them. 

Personally I don't have the patience or time to breed Dino's so if I want a Giga for whatever reason then why waste time waiting for a rare 150 to spawn when I could just trade for one. If I'm going to buy or tame a Giga, it's got to be a decent one otherwise what's the point.

I get a Giga that I cba to tame & raise and they get mats that they cba to farm. Everyone's a winner.

In PVE as far as I use them they’ve got 4 main purposes

1 ) Baby feeders. 

Even a poopty giga can gathers a thousand times more meat than a Rex. A giga train in the redwoods on the island plus tek troughs? Only ever do 1 meatrun .

2) Base Defense. 

Nothing quite like a giga on aggressive to deter any dinos from wandering to    close to the base. Helps to deal with titans easily and if you have a giga spawn nearby a well bred giga will save your life. Provided you have a good saddle. 

3) PVE Tribewar. 

Personally haven’t used them for this myself. But. A well bred giga army is a force to be reckoned with. Especially if they tribe you fight doesn’t know you have that many. 4 gigas with an ASC saddle will demolish a tribes PVE Base. And that’s overkill. 

4) The challenge. 

I haven’t managed to tame a giga yet. Don’t plan on it. My tribemates will take care of the taming which is honestly one of the most exciting things to watch. One of my fondest memories in ths game is helping another tribe tame theIr fist giga and playing chicken with it as they tried to KO it. Breeding them is just as much of a challenge. It’s satisfying to watch your imprint go up and your monster dino get bigger. The time commitment is worth it IMO because they just look neat and once you have your amazing giggle monster there’s really no stopping you. 

Everyone likes different Dino’s. Whether or not they’re useful in PVE or not. Give them a purpose. 

Edit because I can’t count. 

Archived