Take 2

espirit52

Well here we are some months after release, and all I can say is what a mess in Survive The Ark.  Hey WC wake and smell the roses and look at the mess you have created 90 % or more of the OC servers are capped have been for weeks and we are at a standstill.  The Legacy servers stand empty and quite with players logging in weekly to reset timers in the hope that their years of work a friendships my be reborn whole, and they can get on with all the painstaking gameplay of 2 years of time. For 2 years of supporting you thru the stuff ups the roll backs the suddenly disappearing dino's  what reward do us loyal old dogs get. "Here is your bone guys before we kill your server completely you can download it and play it on your own private servers", Well now if my multi generation Dino is no good dam I will just spawn in another  isn't that cool ( Not) .  Seems best thing to do right now is yes give the Legacy's their DL which I am one with multiple bases on different worlds, all of them. Take your release by the horns wipe it all form one universe like you wanted to do in the first place and wipe the PC multiplayer world and start fresh.  Put  up with a weeks gripe from the new players but a multitude of happy players as we spread and build again on fresh new worlds not cramped up on a couple worlds hoping for a miracle that will never come. 

6 hours ago, espirit52 said:

Did that for 3 months, an unofficial is as good as the person holding the wallet you never know when the axe is going too fall lol .

That's why you find a GOOD one I said.  Good ones you have no fear of server done from erasing/offline unless planned for.  Been on one now for8 months, and would have been on it longer had i known it was there, and it has no intention of stopping.  You find the community ones where people would be willing to send a tiny bit of money to cover costs IF need be. IF people have a good time on a server, they will pay to see it through. I rather spend $5 a month on Unoffical than play free on Officials, and I am sure alot others would be too.

• Volunteer Moderator

There are plenty of good unofficials out there, but it is of course a minefield too. Many hours will likely be spent on various unofficials until you find the right one, but you can say just the same for officials too. The only one you wouldn't say that for is single player as there is no choice involved there.

But there are unofficials that run constantly. Mines been running for 11 months now and I have no intentions to shutting it down. If it shuts down it's because I died and therefore couldn't pay.

44 minutes ago, GP said:

There are plenty of good unofficials out there, but it is of course a minefield too. Many hours will likely be spent on various unofficials until you find the right one, but you can say just the same for officials too. The only one you wouldn't say that for is single player as there is no choice involved there.

But there are unofficials that run constantly. Mines been running for 11 months now and I have no intentions to shutting it down. If it shuts down it's because I died and therefore couldn't pay.

One day or another you will shut down the server, but owing to the fact you are moderator here the server will be online as long as official ones will be at least.

From my experience on unofficial servers I can tell there is nothing more annoying than admin changing map, because new one was released or he got bored of current one. All your work it is thrown to the bin. It happened to me 3 times. 

Let's not forget inmature admins who cannot accept they made mistake and lost own dinosaurs then they respawn them. 

All in all it is tedious to find good unofficial server. However, I recommand them anyway, because the quality of server service WC offers is a joke. 

On ‎31‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 2:49 AM, GP said:

Man I commend you for your dedication and support too your Server Community if WC would only take a leaf from your book the game would be far more enjoyable. The complaints about support and feedback are never ending. 

• Volunteer Moderator
30 minutes ago, espirit52 said:

Man I commend you for your dedication and support too your Server Community if WC would only take a leaf from your book the game would be far more enjoyable. The complaints about support and feedback are never ending. 

Well it is easier for one server admin to provide support to their own server community as the numbers are usually much smaller. For official servers I suspect they get thousands of support requests. If I had that many and that many servers I would struggle myself. So it's not a case of WC taking a leaf from my book because i'm only dedicated to a select number of players and 2 servers.

On 10/30/2017 at 1:12 PM, Lewiatan said:

One day or another you will shut down the server, but owing to the fact you are moderator here the server will be online as long as official ones will be at least.

From my experience on unofficial servers I can tell there is nothing more annoying than admin changing map, because new one was released or he got bored of current one. All your work it is thrown to the bin. It happened to me 3 times. 

Let's not forget inmature admins who cannot accept they made mistake and lost own dinosaurs then they respawn them. 

All in all it is tedious to find good unofficial server. However, I recommand them anyway, because the quality of server service WC offers is a joke. 

After having experienced the official mess over and over, to which perhaps I was lucky to have been wiped those many of times, I'm glad I invested most of my hours on unnoficials. Sure, I've probably restarted 50 times in the last two yesrs. Sure, I've come across a dozen or so bad admins who's server names I know to avoid. 

Guess what I gained from the last two years of unnoficials though, for starters I've only ever had to play with people from my region or Europe. I've always been raided fair and square, no mesh hoppers or duped dino raids. I spend minutes taming a quetz, not a few hours. I can practically build up faster than I can be destroyed. My discord is full of a dozen or so community groups to which I've made a SOLID 30+ friends who share information about new servers, good admins wiping their server after five months so that we may start fresh again, and in many cases my friends often start their own servers. At the moment I'm playing a 40/70 server at prime time with atleast 20 on throughout the day. God forbid someone hack or cheat, BANNED. Fair game play <3 I've NEVER had the rubber banding issue as bad as it is on officials. Lag is minimal, and really the only thing that causes it is higher gather rates + people farming on doeds , ankies , and brontos- to which most good servers know to disable the taming of brontos or manually reduce the amount of berries gathered while leaving the other mats at server rate. 

The way I play isn't for long term progression like yours is or many other official advocates, it's for short term. Officials are the reason I adhered and became accustomed to short term progression anyway, or atleast don't mind playing a server for a few months and then getting wiped. PVE officials have a higher turn around rate. Why? Well people build up and get all the tames they need and that's it.. not much more of an incentive to play unless their goal was to dip into tek. Think of the same for unnoficials, unless you play highly active pvp servers which are ten times more fun than pvp on officials, you get bored with 5-10x rates after having godly defenses and great tames. Add with orp and the passive tames mod, pvp is actually really fun. The point here is that your playing in a better environment. Your building faster and more efficiently, breeding more efficiently, engaging in pvp more comfortably to where it's ok if you lose some tames- go spend five minutes and get another one- but after some many odd months you get bored. If a tribe doesn't wipe you You'll Need to start again anyway  to maintain the level of fun that I'm assuming most expect from entertainment industries.

Eventually you get over the 'vanilla progression model' making you feel like you've accomplished something. It's a conundrum of stupidity with companies like this with the state of officials as they are.   3/4 of this community would have been better off playing unnoficials and been much happier. Especially after WC pulled the Legacy episode.

Try. It. 

5 hours ago, GP said:

Well it is easier for one server admin to provide support to their own server community as the numbers are usually much smaller. For official servers I suspect they get thousands of support requests. If I had that many and that many servers I would struggle myself. So it's not a case of WC taking a leaf from my book because i'm only dedicated to a select number of players and 2 servers.

I'm sure you could do just as well as Wildcard support. You just need a similar support program.

**Ticked Received**

**Automated response sent**

---Four weeks later

**Automated response poorly disguised as support personnel reply declining to provide assistance sent**

And once in a while you then actually respond and help people so they tell others that tickets do get answered. :D

On 10/30/2017 at 10:12 AM, Lewiatan said:

I've been part of a dedicated server, DragonArk for the past 6 months.  We went offline in anticipation of Nitrado servers but hoping to be back online any day now.  The thing our admin did which is different is allow people to donate and therefore have a voice.  Donors vote on things like map changes, server rules, settings, etc.  We also use Discord for communication which I highly recommend for anyone running a dedicated server.  It's one of the best apps available for communicating with the folks playing on your server.

I used to hate on unofficial servers, admin abuse, no guarantee of uptime etc. 

However, there are now funded gaming communities hosting servers, these guys tend to keep it fair admin wise and have the funds not to close the wallet early. 

Currently I play pve on an unofficial server and occasionally return to official pvp when friends want another player to raid with.

Ive never been happier in ark lol.

1 hour ago, Melcreif said:

I've been part of a dedicated server, DragonArk for the past 6 months.  We went offline in anticipation of Nitrado servers but hoping to be back online any day now.  The thing our admin did which is different is allow people to donate and therefore have a voice.  Donors vote on things like map changes, server rules, settings, etc.  We also use Discord for communication which I highly recommend for anyone running a dedicated server.  It's one of the best apps available for communicating with the folks playing on your server.

In general I won't donate any cent to some person who lives thousands kms away from where I live. My current unofficial server has discord too and I and other communicate with admin there or in game. I know him from  his Primal Carnage Exctinction's server, because I used to play that game quite often. His ARK server is very stable and reliable, as for admin's behaviour... well. He can be quite immature sometimes.

8 minutes ago, Lewiatan said:

In general I won't donate any cent to some person who lives thousands kms away from where I live. My current unofficial server has discord too and I and other communicate with admin there or in game. I know him from  his Primal Carnage Exctinction's server, because I used to play that game quite often. His ARK server is very stable and reliable, as for admin's behaviour... well. He can be quite immature sometimes.

I get that, and some folks donate and some don't.  There are benefits provided to those who do, but it's not a requirement.  The benefit to playing on a server with that option is stability and a voice on how the server is run...

Just now, Melcreif said:

I get that, and some folks donate and some don't.  There are benefits provided to those who do, but it's not a requirement.  The benefit to playing on a server with that option is stability...

If that works, in both ways, then good for them. All in all I don't support donation on patreon or sth like that in exchange of "put the name of service here". There is no gurantee the person I donated would keep his part of the promise.

1 minute ago, Lewiatan said:

If that works, in both ways, then good for them. All in all I don't support donation on patreon or sth like that in exchange of "put the name of service here". There is no gurantee the person I donated would keep his part of the promise.

Agreed.  I did forget to mention how donations typically work on our server.  Someone says I want a tamed 150 Giga fully imprinted, they pay for it.  So it's not like they are donating cash and getting nothing but a promise in return.  Also in our server we do have history which makes folks feel more comfortable doing things like that.  I could certainly see if I joined a server that had been around for a month and they wanted to offer a deal for some gear for cash. No guarantee I'd have that gear for long so quite a risk even if the risk is say $3...

Archived